PDA

View Full Version : Something I'm hearing

tireddawg
09-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Dan thinks we can make another run next year. He wants Aeris & the other backs to be hungry & run like they stole something next year like Josh did in 2014. Thoughts?

basedog
09-11-2016, 12:26 PM
What other backs?

TimberBeast
09-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Sounds like a bad excuse.

starkvegasdawg
09-11-2016, 12:28 PM
What other backs?

Holloway have a little brother?

tireddawg
09-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I don't think it's too farfetched, especially coming from Mullen.

ShotgunDawg
09-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Dan thinks we can make another run next year. He wants Aeris & the other backs to be hungry & run like they stole something next year like Josh did in 2014. Thoughts?

Dan must first make sure he's here next year.

Last night was a major step in the right direction, but it has to continue. Whatever we did last week at practice & last night must be done again & improved upon. This team has some ability & will only get better, but the intensity must remain.

Dan needs to worry about this year first & try to save his job & go on a run this year.

Thing is, I think Dan knows all this & that's why the story is most likely BS

Bodawg
09-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Probably wants Holloway to apply for an extra year.

Apoplectic

If that is the case then I'm only buying season tickets every other year or third year.

DancingRabbit
I'm skeptical Dan is talking about next year.

GreenheadDawg
What's wrong with this year?? What the **** does he run Holloway up the middle? I hope Kylin Hill doesn't watch our games

DancingRabbit
09-11-2016, 12:48 PM
What's wrong with this year?? What the **** does he run Holloway up the middle? I hope Kylin Hill doesn't watch our games

https://twitter.com/H_Kylin/status/774987106561105921

basedog
09-11-2016, 12:51 PM
https://twitter.com/H_Kylin/status/774987106561105921

Haven't seen the kid play but he's saying good things!

MarketingBully
09-11-2016, 12:53 PM
If we run Hill up the middle next year, it will be awesome. He is a Nick Chubb type of back. Thompson will give Fitz a run for his money next year and it will be a great QB battle. I could see us making a solid run next year. We shall see.

ShotgunDawg
09-11-2016, 12:55 PM
If we run Hill up the middle next year, it will be awesome. He is a Nick Chubb type of back. Thompson will give Fitz a run for his money next year and it will be a great QB battle. I could see us making a solid run next year. We shall see.

THIS

If we can get through this year, go to a bowl, & Mullen takes recruiting to a slightly higher level, we will be sitting pretty

Thick
09-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but he has several backs other then Holloway he could use. Why would he not give them GAME reps and GAME situations this year, if he thinks next year is the big year? Makes no sense whatsoever. We have some guys that can pound it between the tackles...big physical backs, yet we still give the ball to slot receiver on those plays. Something is apparently not clicking with the RBs, because no coach in their right mind keeps those horses in the corral unless they are lame.

MaroonFlounder
09-11-2016, 01:01 PM
I call bullshit. Mullen is the definition of stubborn.

What's the over/under of plays wasted in Baton Rouge by the Holloway-up-the-middle?

GTHOM
09-11-2016, 01:01 PM

He'd better not be talking about next year

MetEdDawg
09-11-2016, 01:25 PM
I get what he's saying. We are young. Aeris and company at RB, Fitz, Rankin, Calhoun, Jenkins plus a few others on the OL, Dear, Mixon, Gray, Couch, Thomas, Johnson at WR. Defensive line of Simmons, Adams, and Thomas, Green, Lewis, Jung, Gray at LB, Bryant, Peters, McLaurin, Cleveland comes back from injury.

I see the makings of a young but very talented team. But I agree Mullen shouldn't be talking about next year.

Lance Harbor
09-11-2016, 01:29 PM
That's a lame excuse. I was told by a good source that Knox calls the personnel for the RBs (as do all position coaches). So Knox must have the love affair, but the buck stops with Mullen. The same source said Lee was the only back that could take it to the house, he just isn't working with a full deck. The personnel decisions on the whole for the team are mind boggling. RB just exacerbates the situation because it's so high profile.

msstate7
09-11-2016, 01:30 PM
I get what he's saying. We are young. Aeris and company at RB, Fitz, Rankin, Calhoun, Jenkins plus a few others on the OL, Dear, Mixon, Gray, Couch, Thomas, Johnson at WR. Defensive line of Simmons, Adams, and Thomas, Green, Lewis, Jung, Gray at LB, Bryant, Peters, McLaurin, Cleveland comes back from injury.

I see the makings of a young but very talented team. But I agree Mullen shouldn't be talking about next year.

Got some really good juco commits too. If they pan out, we could be a really good team

Really Clark?
09-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but he has several backs other then Holloway he could use. Why would he not give them GAME reps and GAME situations this year, if he thinks next year is the big year? Makes no sense whatsoever. We have some guys that can pound it between the tackles...big physical backs, yet we still give the ball to slot receiver on those plays. Something is apparently not clicking with the RBs, because no coach in their right mind keeps those horses in the corral unless they are lame.

I believe you are correct. It's not Mullen just being stubborn. There is a reason. He pulled Shump for Aeris right after the fumble.

Really Clark?
09-11-2016, 01:34 PM
That's a lame excuse. I was told by a good source that Knox calls the personnel for the RBs (as do all position coaches). So Knox must have the love affair, but the buck stops with Mullen. The same source said Lee was the only back that could take it to the house, he just isn't working with a full deck. The personnel decisions on the whole for the team are mind boggling. RB just exacerbates the situation because it's so high profile.

Yeah sorry but Lee is not the most electric back on the team. Your source is off on that

tireddawg
09-11-2016, 01:43 PM

Mullen has to talk about next year to Scott & certain people. He's not talking about it publicly.

tireddawg
09-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Yeah sorry but Lee is not the most electric back on the team. Your source is off on that

Agree. Off just a bit

1bigdawg
09-11-2016, 02:40 PM
That's a lame excuse. I was told by a good source that Knox calls the personnel for the RBs (as do all position coaches). So Knox must have the love affair, but the buck stops with Mullen.

Knox is the designated special teams coach, also. Maybe that is why Mullen said running backs have to put in their time on special teams before they get to run the ball.

Goldendawg
09-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Do you think any other SEC West Coach would use Holloway like Dan does? Lee and Williams will be juniors next year. Gibson and Murphy will be RS Sophs. Add Hill, will he have to sit a couple of years behind them in Dan's RB usage schemes? Some of these guys are 4 stars. They must have a world of patience, although I saw some on special teams last night.

I seen it dawg
09-11-2016, 07:16 PM
He needs to ****ing worry about LSU. And stop running Holloway up the middle so ****ing much. Stupid.

dawgs
09-11-2016, 09:17 PM

dan needs to worry less about playing psychologist and more about playing the best players and putting the team in the best position to win every game. only at mississippi state would it be believable to have a coach that thinks you are better off playing your young, talented players LESS to get them ready to win next year. all those other dumbass coaches getting young guys experience don't know what they are doing.

Todd4State
09-11-2016, 09:38 PM
I agree with Dan on this:

QB- Fitz will be back and presumably better. We'll see how Tiano looks and if Damien stays or not. Upgrade

RB- No Holloway and Shumpert means more Aeris and Lee and then Gibson, Murphy, and Hill. Upgrade

WR- We lose Ross and that will be a big loss, but hopefully we can get another JUCO WR to that can play outside and maybe move Gray to the slot where I still think he fit in better. I suspect we will still see a lot of four WR sets next year with a lot of Couch, Dear, Gray, and Myles. That's a solid group but maybe not quite as good as this year because Ross is a beast.

TE- Jordan Thomas and Justin Johnson are both solid and should be better- so upgrade.

OL- I have a lot of questions about how this group will look. Jenkins, Rankin and Calhoun appear to be solid. My biggest one is who is the center to replace Clayborn? I think if we get Hayes to go along with Champion our best five in terms of talent and experience would be in no particular order Jenkins, Rankin, Champion, Calhoun, and Hayes. But I'm not sure anyone of those guys can play center. So, we could see Moon or Daryl Williams unless we get a JUCO center. And also do we move someone like Rankin to guard to get Jenkins and Hayes all on the field at the same time? That will have to be settled in the spring. Jury is out on this group for now but more talent than the past two years.

DL- Sweat, Simmons, and Cory Thomas. Add in Deion Pope to go along with Fletcher Adams and I like that group.

LB- Spencer at Viper, Green, Leo Lewis, and then Jung and JT Gray is a solid group at LB. The good news is we have enough front seven personnel to play a 3-4 or a 4-3.

CB- Durr and Peters both look good and they should be better next year. Graham is still a work in progress and he might fit in better at the nickle.

S- Bryant and McLaurin will be an upgrade as well. Hopefully we add in CJ Avery, Abrams, to go along with Landrews.

K/P- Graves and Cooke will both be seniors and are solid already. That should be an area of strength as it is this year.

KR/PR- We'll miss Holloway here and Ross at PR but I like Mixon and Gray and we also have Dear so we have plenty of good options.

Bothrops
09-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Why not play our RB's this year? Why would he talk about next year? Kylin Hill will be the show dog next year.

defiantdog
09-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Gibson will play this year, and everyone will complain why he didn't play sooner.

TimberBeast
09-12-2016, 12:33 AM
Gibson will play this year, and everyone will complain why he didn't play sooner.

When? When a game is already over and all of us arm chair coaches can be put in our place?

Thick
09-12-2016, 04:30 AM
Kylin Hill will not be the show dog next year. You think a featured high school RB knows pass protection, will grasp a college playbook quickly/efficiently? No chance of that, plus that means we have a stable of BUSTS in the RB meeting room, and CDM doesn't start true freshmen unless they are really special, and that's almost unheard of at MSU during his era.

lamont
09-12-2016, 05:43 AM
Kylin Hill will not be the show dog next year. You think a featured high school RB knows pass protection, will grasp a college playbook quickly/efficiently? No chance of that, plus that means we have a stable of BUSTS in the RB meeting room, and CDM doesn't start true freshmen unless they are really special, and that's almost unheard of at MSU during his era.

This is the correct answer

maroonmania
09-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Now it makes sense. Dan is keeping all of our other backs besides Holloway and Shumpert fresh and healthy for next year. Don't know why I didn't see it before.***

GreenheadDawg
09-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Why not play our RB's this year? Why would he talk about next year? Kylin Hill will be the show dog next year.

Mullen would have redshirted Fournette.

dawgs
09-12-2016, 09:45 AM

Why do other schools have true freshmen RBs come in and play key roles and succeed as true freshmen? RB is probably the easiest position to contribute immediately, because the learning curve is not as steep as any other position. Ultimately if you know your holes and can hold onto the ball, from there it's mostly letting talent take over. Pass blocking is something to be learned, but shouldn't be something that takes 2-3 years to learn and is pretty minimal compared to what guys need to learn at every other position on the field.

Bothrops
09-12-2016, 12:05 PM

Stable of busts? I don't believe it. Sorry

MaroonFlounder
09-12-2016, 12:20 PM
I agree with Dan on this:

TE- Jordan Thomas and Justin Johnson are both solid and should be better- so upgrade.

Justin Johnson has stone hands. He can't seem to come down with the ball. He and Gabe need lots of reps in practice.

Op4isabitch
09-12-2016, 12:36 PM
He needs to ****ing worry about LSU. And stop running Holloway up the middle so ****ing much. Stupid.

I agree and by the way I'm sitting in your airport and it's a damn ghost town! Do something about it. ***

Thick
09-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Stable of busts? I don't believe it. Sorry

I'm not saying we have a stable of busts. I'm saying that could be a possibility. We are losing Shumpert and Holloway this year. We are replacing those 2 with Hill. Do you think Lee, Williams, Murphey, and Gibson stay? I think Lee is going to transfer, and if that happens we could perhaps sign 2 RBs to bring the total to 5. Out of that 5, only 1 (up to now) has played at all. We need to get the other RBs some reps before next season. I am assuming that Dan/Knox are working in that direction. Hell, Dan is liable to put Dear back there if he ever gets out of the "dog house".

I seen it dawg
09-12-2016, 01:15 PM
I agree and by the way I'm sitting in your airport and it's a damn ghost town! Do something about it. ***

Haha go eat one of those fine sammiches up there

drunkernhelldawg
09-12-2016, 02:54 PM

I know. It's like we've written off a steady rb game. I'm with those who want to see more of Williams.

munk_munk92
09-12-2016, 04:14 PM
I call bullshit. Mullen is the definition of stubborn.

What's the over/under of plays wasted in Baton Rouge by the Holloway-up-the-middle?
I'd say 15 at least.

munk_munk92
09-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Gibson, dear, and lee are all very good runners. No reason whatsoever he keeps playing a midget. Could you see saban doing that? Don't they say copy what successful people do? Maybe that's why saban has all those rings and mullen looks like an idiot.

dawgday166
09-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Gibson, dear, and lee are all very good runners. No reason whatsoever he keeps playing a midget. Could you see saban doing that? Don't they say copy what successful people do? Maybe that's why saban has all those rings and mullen looks like an idiot.

Yea, not sure Dan copies Nick too much. Remember, Dan invented football now ***

Thick
09-12-2016, 06:25 PM
I was just told that AM is "not very good", and DL is bat-shit crazy.

Dallas_Dawg
09-12-2016, 06:31 PM
AM=Alec Murphy?

yjnkdawg
09-12-2016, 06:41 PM

I agree. He has this year to worry about right now. I wouldn't think he would be looking at what type of season he is going to have next year.

Bothrops
09-12-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm not saying we have a stable of busts. I'm saying that could be a possibility. We are losing Shumpert and Holloway this year. We are replacing those 2 with Hill. Do you think Lee, Williams, Murphey, and Gibson stay? I think Lee is going to transfer, and if that happens we could perhaps sign 2 RBs to bring the total to 5. Out of that 5, only 1 (up to now) has played at all. We need to get the other RBs some reps before next season. I am assuming that Dan/Knox are working in that direction. Hell, Dan is liable to put Dear back there if he ever gets out of the "dog house".

Not sure how Lee has been in the dog house with Mullen for 12+ months, guess I'll never know. Are Murphy and Gibson in that same dog house?

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Not sure how Lee has been in the dog house with Mullen for 12+ months, guess I'll never know. Are Murphy and Gibson in that same dog house?

Gibson has to earn it on special teams. Per Dan.

Todd4State
09-12-2016, 07:47 PM
I was just told that AM is "not very good", and DL is bat-shit crazy.

I'd move AM to FB. I think he might be pretty good there.