PDA

View Full Version : Random Poster's Sunday Morning QB- Cocky Edition

lamont
09-11-2016, 10:49 AM
1. Really good crowd last night. Way to get out and support our team. We had some really good recruits there- some on unofficials- and it looks good to be there in support. Way to do your job fans.

2. Great 1st drive by Mullen and crew. Where was that last week? We ran play action, then a swing to Holloway to get the drive rolling. Came back with the zone read. Good little inside cross to score the TD. We ran 2 guys crossing to the right to pull both LB'ers with them and open up Ross coming to the left. Well done. Mullen showed some fire last night- even worked to get the crowd going. He has obviously been hearing the chatter. Way to respond Coach.

3. 1st and goal on the 2nd drive and you run Holloway on the inside zone not only on 1st down but 3rd down? That's beyond dumb. I have to believe that Mullen is doing that just to show people he is going to do it. At no point in any coaches meeting has anybody ever said "that's a great idea Coach". Running Holloway on the inside zone is just stupid and hardheaded. It's very Croom-like. He does a great job on the stretch read and we ran that well last night. The crowd started booing on the Holloway inside zone- I laughed. It's just a wasted play. But Mullen is committed to Holloway, Shump, and a little Aeris this year. 15 carries by Holloway is wayyyy too much. 3.2 per carry doesnt cut it.

4. Fitz is every bit the runner he was built up to be. On his 70 yard run- the CB's couldnt gain ground on him. 17 carries 195 yards. He's a weapon with his legs. All last night did was make pulling him last week look like a much worse decision by Mullen. He could have beaten USA with his legs alone. Solid passing night and he will continue to get better. That pick he threw was probably a pass that is always open in practice- it was his primary guy. He has to read it better and get the ball up. 45 runs to 30 passes. 60% run- right where we need to be

5. OL protected well. Solid night for this group. We go to our jumbo package on goalline and Dan Walsh decides to be tricky and throw it. Turned out about as expected. I did like the double pass though. Well executed and showed some imagination.

6. Ive been hearing that Simmons was better than Jones in HS. Yep. He is the real deal. And loves playing the zero. He was a force last night and cant be single-blocked. They tried single-blocking him and he forced a fumble. That makes your 3 man front very effective. We played very physical last night on the DL. Gives us a chance even with our DB's. AJ's motor was running full speed last night. Need more from James. Thomas was solid.

7. Kept rotating DB's to get experience. Just a really green group. Nice pick by Peters getting under the post route. The ball was late from the QB and Peters made him pay. But that's a TD vs a better QB. Got to keep working to get better.

8. We adjusted and played their play action better in the 2nd half. Thank goodness cause RTdawg was about to lose his mind.

9. Please stop running Holloway on the inside zone. Please

10. Much better this week. Curious to see who LSU plays at QB. Baton Rouge here we come.

Vandelay Industries
09-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Your 4th post is going to be big against LSU, Watched LSU game and they gave up a lot of big runs to the QB on the read option. Nick could have a big day running

Corn Bread
09-11-2016, 10:57 AM
1. Really good crowd last night. Way to get out and support our team. We had some really good recruits there- some on unofficials- and it looks good to be there in support. Way to do your job fans.

2. Great 1st drive by Mullen and crew. Where was that last week? We ran play action, then a swing to Holloway to get the drive rolling. Came back with the zone read. Good little inside cross to score the TD. We ran 2 guys crossing to the right to pull both LB'ers with them and open up Ross coming to the left. Well done. Mullen showed some fire last night- even worked to get the crowd going. He has obviously been hearing the chatter. Way to respond Coach.

3. 1st and goal on the 2nd drive and you run Holloway on the inside zone not only on 1st down but 3rd down? That's beyond dumb. I have to believe that Mullen is doing that just to show people he is going to do it. At no point in any coaches meeting has anybody ever said "that's a great idea Coach". Running Holloway on the inside zone is just stupid and hardheaded. It's very Croom-like. He does a great job on the stretch read and we ran that well last night. The crowd started booing on the Holloway inside zone- I laughed. It's just a wasted play. But Mullen is committed to Holloway, Shump, and a little Aeris this year. 15 carries by Holloway is wayyyy too much. 3.2 per carry doesnt cut it.

4. Fitz is every bit the runner he was built up to be. On his 70 yard run- the CB's couldnt gain ground on him. 17 carries 195 yards. He's a weapon with his legs. All last night did was make pulling him last week look like a much worse decision by Mullen. He could have beaten USA with his legs alone. Solid passing night and he will continue to get better. That pick he threw was probably a pass that is always open in practice- it was his primary guy. He has to read it better and get the ball up. 45 runs to 30 passes. 60% run- right where we need to be

5. OL protected well. Solid night for this group. We go to our jumbo package on goalline and Dan Walsh decides to be tricky and throw it. Turned out about as expected. I did like the double pass though. Well executed and showed some imagination.

6. Ive been hearing that Simmons was better than Jones in HS. Yep. He is the real deal. And loves playing the zero. He was a force last night and cant be single-blocked. They tried single-blocking him and he forced a fumble. That makes your 3 man front very effective. We played very physical last night on the DL. Gives us a chance even with our DB's. AJ's motor was running full speed last night. Need more from James. Thomas was solid.

7. Kept rotating DB's to get experience. Just a really green group. Nice pick by Peters getting under the post route. The ball was late from the QB and Peters made him pay. But that's a TD vs a better QB. Got to keep working to get better.

8. We adjusted and played their play action better in the 2nd half. Thank goodness cause RTdawg was about to lose his mind.

10. Much better this week. Curious to see who LSU plays at QB. Baton Rouge here we come.

Good Read, when does CDM use Aries Williams? I hate it for Williams cause he is a gamer.

basedog
09-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Our offensive line line did a good job last night especially when the correct play is called. I think they will get better.
Played a lot of folks on defense last night. Dan was fired up like we haven't seen in a long long time, and yes he felt the heat from our fans and probably the administration last week. Let's hope he keeps the intensity.
Man #83 Thomas is a man, dude is big and can run and catch!

GreenheadDawg
09-11-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm praying that Les pulls a Les and plays Harris. But I don't think even he is that stupid

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-11-2016, 11:04 AM

Interested as well. Wouldnt surprise me if B Harris starts with a short leash. Which probably means 1 series. That guy is AWFUL.

Sacrifice
09-11-2016, 11:05 AM
I've noticed our O-line does great in pass protection but struggles with the inside between the tackles running game. I wanna say its mainly Holloway but after rewatching the game it looks like the DL is penetrating on us a lot. I hope we can get this fixed. Overall it was a great night!

Todd4State
09-11-2016, 11:19 AM
I've noticed our O-line does great in pass protection but struggles with the inside between the tackles running game. I wanna say its mainly Holloway but after rewatching the game it looks like the DL is penetrating on us a lot. I hope we can get this fixed. Overall it was a great night!

I think it's Holloway being 160 pounds. How else can Aeris and Shumpert of all people getting at least a full yard per carry apiece behind the same guys? Not to mention Fitzgerald who ran between the tackles multiple times with success as well.

rtdawg
09-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Not being able to cover the middle of the field stresses me out to no end.....

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2016, 11:25 AM

THIS. On the two runs the OP commented on Holloway got hit as soon as he got the ball three yards deep in the backfield. Bo Jackson wouldn't have got much on those two. The OP is off on that being a solid night for the oline. It was better, but there is still a LONG way to go there, esp on the inside runs.

Sacrifice
09-11-2016, 11:35 AM
I think it's Holloway being 160 pounds. How else can Aeris and Shumpert of all people getting at least a full yard per carry apiece behind the same guys? Not to mention Fitzgerald who ran between the tackles multiple times with success as well.
No doubt, if we're gonna be getting hit a the LOS like we did last night. We have to use a bigger back. Shump and Aries both had good runs because they could move the pile. I don't see Mullen making that change though

Apoplectic
09-11-2016, 11:42 AM
THIS. On the two runs the OP commented on Holloway got hit as soon as he got the ball three yards deep in the backfield. Bo Jackson wouldn't have got much on those two. The OP is off on that being a solid night for the oline. It was better, but there is still a LONG way to go there, esp on the inside runs.

Because other coaches know is a stubborn ass I'm sure they looked for Holloway to get the ball in this spot. I hate it that Mullen puts Holloway in this position to be booed because I'm sure he's a great kid.

Technetium
09-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Bo Jackson wouldn't have got much on those two.

Given the number of times I've read this statement in various threads, it's clear who Liverpooldawg holds in highest esteem among running backs. I nominate Liverpooldawg to receive the title of "Bo Jackson Aficionado" under his username.

SDDawg
09-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Good post and agree with everything here. The only thing Dan needs to do is cut Holloway's carries in half. That inside zone is fine once a game to force people to defend it but we're not fooling anybody running Holloway between the tackles. More Aeris Williams, please.

Todd4State
09-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Because other coaches know is a stubborn ass I'm sure they looked for Holloway to get the ball in this spot. I hate it that Mullen puts Holloway in this position to be booed because I'm sure he's a great kid.

Let's be perfectly clear. The fans are booing Dan not Holloway.

GTHOM
09-11-2016, 12:00 PM
We have got to be better on 3rd downs defensively. Would have liked to see us bring more pressure on some 3rd downs

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Given the number of times I've read this statement in various threads, it's clear who Liverpooldawg holds in highest esteem among running backs. I nominate Liverpooldawg to receive the title of "Bo Jackson Aficionado" under his username.

Actually that would be Walter Payton.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2016, 12:02 PM
I see Confederate recruiting is in full swing again.

FISHDAWG
09-11-2016, 12:19 PM
dead on assessment Random ... for me personally I appreciated CDM losing that previous look of almost apathy to some fire and intensity - apparently it carried over to the team and fans alike. I still wished he would forever abandon his affinity for fake punts, but with the defense playing so well I will give him a pass on that one.... you're right, we are stuck with Holloway up the middle and should probably just accept it - but I can't help but feel that the zone read would be better sold with a heavier bruising type back... Bottom line for me as a fan is Dan brought me back

DogsofAnarchy
09-11-2016, 12:29 PM
It is borderline dereliction of duty on BDD's part for continuing to put Hollaway out there in the positions that he is putting him in. Really? Up the middle 11 times? If we are going to slam a RB into the middle then at least put the big backs out there and make the opponents know we are physical. Might build some more toughness in our team also. Not to pile on but Gabe better catch the damn ball or he needs to be replaced.

Op4isabitch
09-11-2016, 12:50 PM
I see Confederate recruiting is in full swing again.

I missed this, what are you referring to here?

Cowboydawg
09-11-2016, 01:02 PM
I thought Dez Harris had a solid game.

MarketingBully
09-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Great positive post Random Poster! I agree with all of your assessments. Now let's beat the Tigers in Death Valley!

tireddawg
09-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Anyone know what's up with Richie? He's whiffing a lot. Just doesn't seem to be bringing it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-11-2016, 02:18 PM
It was a great a rebound by the team and coaches, but there is a lot left that needs to be cleaned up. Looks like that extra time on the juggs machine didn't help Myles. 3 or 4 major drops and I counted at least 3 plays he missed his block and prevented what could be been an explosive play.

DanDority
09-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Anyone know what's up with Richie? He's whiffing a lot. Just doesn't seem to be bringing it.

To be honest, I've never seen him make many one on one tackles anyway, he is smart in getting guys lined up right and being a leader on the field but his ability to bring someone down in the open field is something I've never seen. Maybe I've missed one or two.

Commercecomet24
09-11-2016, 02:36 PM

This^^^

MarketingBully
09-11-2016, 02:36 PM

Wouldn't that be more on Fitzgerald though to make the right read there? If the DL are so committed to Holloway getting the ball and going after him, shouldn't Fitz keep and run? I mean this is an inside read option correct? If the DL have committed so fully to Holloway getting the ball should be easy decision for Fitz to keep it.

dawg27
09-11-2016, 03:04 PM
We played better as a whole team i was there great crowd, i like that dan woke up and we seen fire from him again, fitz great runner, but passing he stares down the receiver will throw to the primary target does not matter if they covered or not. But i think that get better he is young.I would love to see aris in the back field more.We going to have to bring all to beat lsu.