PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on us

Coach34
08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/68757/miss-state-all-juiced-up-for-okla-state

"It feels hot watching the Bulldogs run through individual and team drills. There's no shade for onlookers and even less relief for the players trying to catch their breath. Rick Ray, the school's basketball coach, wears a oversized bucket hat to keep from burning. He's here to watch 6-foot-5 freshman wideout De'Runnya Wilson, who came to school this summer with intentions of playing both sports, though it looks like football will keep him from doing so.

"They're killing the sled," said Ray, craning his neck to the far side of the field where the defensive linemen are working. "You can hear it all the way over here."

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Coach, what did you think about the "NASCAR" offense reference in the article

Coach34
08-29-2013, 11:01 AM
I like it with a veteran OL and a stable of RB's, combined with a smart 5th yr Sr at QB. Dakota is sharp too, and it could be advantageous to do it pounding on a tired D

damn I cant wait for Saturday

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2013, 11:05 AM
I like it with a veteran OL and a stable of RB's, combined with a smart 5th yr Sr at QB. Dakota is sharp too, and it could be advantageous to do it pounding on a tired D

damn I cant wait for Saturday

This was my only thought as well, but I'm not sure Ok State is the correct game to break this out. Seems like it would be counter productive against them. Would be much more useful against LSU, Bama, and Scar

FlabLoser
08-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Energy on defense is the answer. Glad that was in the article.

Read and react bullshit is what got aTm over 700 yards against us.

msstate7
08-29-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm loving coach Collins. I've gotta feeling this may his one and only season with us, but it'll be a good one

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm loving coach Collins. I've gotta feeling this may his one and only season with us, but it'll be a good one

We, as a university, need to do everything possible to keep him if he is worth it. I want to think positive on this.

maroonmania
08-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Energy on defense is the answer. Glad that was in the article.

Read and react bullshit is what got aTm over 700 yards against us.

If we don't start raising the pay, any of our coordinators that do a bang up job will be short-lived in Starkville. Its almost embarrasing what we pay our coordinators compared to the rest of the league. Now if you have a guy that is not in demand, say like Koennig, its not an issue but for a guy like Diaz a couple of years ago or like I having a feeling Collins will be after this season its a HUGE issue.

FlabLoser
08-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Let's pump the breaks on Collins. Let him coach a couple games first.

Yeah, our assistant salaries need to be competitive. Crazy thing is it doesn't take a hell of a lot to do it. Maybe to afford this move, we should join a more lucrative football conference.

hailmari
08-29-2013, 11:33 AM
"Don't wanna see sparks, I want fireworks!"

Bubb Rubb
08-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Coach, what did you think about the "NASCAR" offense reference in the article

I bet we don't do that a lot on Saturday. I think that speed is being used more likely to prep the defense for the speed of OK State's offense. I could be wrong though.

Coach34
08-29-2013, 11:52 AM
This was my only thought as well, but I'm not sure Ok State is the correct game to break this out. Seems like it would be counter productive against them. Would be much more useful against LSU, Bama, and Scar

On the surface, you would think that- however, let's remember:

Ok State was 80th in the country last year on defense
Wearing down a shitty defense means we will score alot and dominate the 4th Q

The hurry up works both ways

as bad as we were on D last year- they were worse

maroonmania
08-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Let's pump the breaks on Collins. Let him coach a couple games first.

Yeah, our assistant salaries need to be competitive. Crazy thing is it doesn't take a hell of a lot to do it. Maybe to afford this move, we should join a more lucrative football conference.

We have to pump the brakes on most all of coordinator hires because with what we pay we will always be "trying out" an up and comer. We don't pay enough to get someone who is a proven entity at the BCS conference level. And its really the coordinator position that seems to be out of whack pay wise. The other assistant salaries seem to be more competive.

War Machine Dawg
08-29-2013, 11:59 AM
I still say the way to attack them is the Florida 2010 approach. Run the damn ball, be physical, shorten the game. Make them tackle our power backs until they quit. They aren't used to the pounding an SEC OL and SEC RBs like J-Rob & Griffin will put on them.

hailmari
08-29-2013, 12:20 PM
This strategy seems so obvious that I'm afraid that's exactly what we won't do.

Political Hack
08-29-2013, 12:33 PM
it would not shock me at all to see CDM come out arrogant enough to try to beat them by doing what they do better than them. Nothing like incorporating a publicity stunt into your game plan!

If we fall behind it will be extremely useful.

FlabLoser
08-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Not convinced we are going to hurry on offense.

I see more of the same from last year. Maybe a little temp when the momentum calls for it. I just don't see us doing a lot of 19 second snaps.

Political Hack
08-29-2013, 12:45 PM
there should be little to mount that it'll be situational at most. if we drive 85 yards for 6 minutes and then get a 3 and out on defense, we may throw some hurry up at them just to take advantage of them sucking wind. Or if we're behind, etc...

Dawg Tired
08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm hoping the boxing strategy of "pounding the body" for the first half of the match will soften them up for the late round knockout. We might take a few off the chin in the beginning. Gotta stay off the mat. The longer we stay in the game, the better the overall outcome will be.
I'd love to see J Rob and Griffin (if he's ready) on 1st and 2nd down. LDP is a no brainer for 3 downs. Mix in Dak for short yardage and red zone. I feel Tyler R. has shown consistency for the most part. Our defense is the X factor.

dparker
08-29-2013, 02:10 PM
This strategy seems so obvious that I'm afraid that's exactly what we won't do.

I have to second this. We've seen it too many times in the past. *cough* *cough* Run the ball against Northwestern.

dickiedawg
08-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Can we please get "pump the brakes" right? I know it's en vogue right now, and I get that, but "pump the breaks" just makes no damn sense.

Bark
08-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Can we please get "pump the brakes" right? I know it's en vogue right now, and I get that, but "pump the breaks" just makes no damn sense.

pump the breaks ****