PDA

View Full Version : My letter to Keenum and Scott about compliance at MSU

SheltonChoked
08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Please follow me in writing to Mark and Scott.

Dr. Keenum,

As an alumnus of Mississippi State the recent punishment handed down by the NCAA to Texas A&M and Johnny Manziel disturbs and infuriates me. Before I go further, this is not a personal attack in our compliance department, or any individuals employed there. That being said, all appearances from the outside seems we are too cooperative, strict, and compliant with our dealings with the NCAA.

In the Texas A&M case, Johnny Manziel was caught, on video, signing items for a dealer to sell for profit in violation of an NCAA rule. For this Texas A&M?s compliance department negotiated a two quarter suspension in a time period of 2 months from the initial public report. The reported estimated monetary value of the rule violation by Johnny Manziel is over $10,000.

Contrast that with the Mississippi State handing of the Will Redmond case. With a similar start of the case in public and not public video evidence, the Mississippi State compliance department negotiated a 36 quarter suspension of the player in a time period of about a year from the initial public report. The reported estimated monetary benefit to Will Redmond was $2,000.

As an MSU fan and alumni, we have been punished eighteen times more for a violation of five times less. This seems to be a fundamental flaw in our dealings with the NCAA. By no means am I suggesting or condoning cheating, rule violations, or any other events that may cause our athletics department violations. I just believe we have to be less cooperative and protect the eligibility and integrity of our Student Athletes.

Thanks you and Hail State!

Sincerely,

Shelton Choked

Political Hack
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
you said quarters. It's 36 halves.

Political Hack
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
oh, and kudos.

Coach34
08-29-2013, 10:33 AM
actually, Redmond is sitting 72 quarters- 18 games

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Please follow me in writing to Mark and Scott.

Dr. Keenum,

As an alumnus of Mississippi State the recent punishment handed down by the NCAA to Texas A&M and Johnny Manziel disturbs and infuriates me. Before I go further, this is not a personal attack in our compliance department, or any individuals employed there. That being said, all appearances from the outside seems we are too cooperative, strict, and compliant with our dealings with the NCAA.

In the Texas A&M case, Johnny Manziel was caught, on video, signing items for a dealer to sell for profit in violation of an NCAA rule. For this Texas A&M?s compliance department negotiated a two quarter suspension in a time period of 2 months from the initial public report. The reported estimated monetary value of the rule violation by Johnny Manziel is over $10,000.

Contrast that with the Mississippi State handing of the Will Redmond case. With a similar start of the case in public and not public video evidence, the Mississippi State compliance department negotiated a 36 quarter suspension of the player in a time period of about a year from the initial public report. The reported estimated monetary benefit to Will Redmond was $2,000.

As an MSU fan and alumni, we have been punished eighteen times more for a violation of five times less. This seems to be a fundamental flaw in our dealings with the NCAA. By no means am I suggesting or condoning cheating, rule violations, or any other events that may cause our athletics department violations. I just believe we have to be less cooperative and protect the eligibility and integrity of our Student Athletes.

Thanks you and Hail State!

Sincerely,

Shelton Choked

Redmond got a 72 quarter suspension, not 36. Lost last season.

Coach34
08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
but the rest is spot on- good job

RougeDawg
08-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Don't leave out Cam. at least $180k for a 4-6 hr non game day suspension.

There's one key element in all of these sanctions. Do the players make the NCAA money or not? This will be the major factor when penalties are decided.

BHildreth3
08-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Thank you, not Thanks you

FlabLoser
08-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Please put your real name on that and send it in.

We all need to do this.

And any of you folks who feel like expanding that context can also bring out Renardo Sidney. He lost a year and a half also, didn't he?

And Kevin Fant.

We have a longstanding trend of barbecuing ourselves to the NCAA. And we get treated roughly 100x worse than other schools (about 20 times the punishment for 5x less of an infraction...you can equate that to being 100 times harder on ourselves than the NCAA is with others).

SheltonChoked
08-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the edit's everyone. I have sent it on.

Please join me in sending emails. To me, it's not personal with Bracky, it's about being competative and giveing our coaches and athletes every advantage we can.

CadaverDawg
08-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Damn, Shelton, your email is better than mine. Mine said....

Dr Keenum,

Our compliance sucks worse than our Vienna Dogs and Stank Ass Cups. Fix that shit if you want us to be better at football.

Sincerely,

Cadaver

smootness
08-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Mine was:

Dear Starkville PD,

A man by the name of Bracky Brett tried to sell me crack cocaine. If you look in the trunk of his car, you will find many kilos of crack that were recently placed there. He is dealing crack.

Thank you for making our town safe,
Bully Bulldog

I'm guessing that gets us what we want more quickly.

Rick Danko
08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Damn, Shelton, your email is better than mine. Mine said....

Dr Keenum,

Our compliance sucks worse than our Vienna Dogs and Stank Ass Cups. Fix that shit if you want us to be better at football.

Sincerely,

Cadaver

Ha, fantastic sir.... 2 thumbs up

FlabLoser
08-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Smoot gets results!

drunkernhelldawg
08-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Bravo and Thank You.

codeDawg
08-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Dr. Keenum,

Talent wins footballs games. We compete against teams with more talent. Those teams get that talent by providing benefits we do not. Our current compliance strategy prevents us from providing those benefits because it does not protect us from the penalties of doing so. Please fix compliance so we can win football games.

Peace.

Bo Darville
08-29-2013, 01:44 PM
I like it. I would clean up my punctuation and grammar before I sent it, because it's a letter to the president, not a message board post. I think your thoughts are spot-on.

Dental Dawg
08-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Dear MSU compliance,

I saw a recruit today for his 6 month dental checkup. I gave him a toothbrush. Should I ask for the toothbrush back or tell him he may not be eligible to play for several games? I would appreciate your help with this matter.

Sincerely

Dental Dawg

maroonmania
08-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Mine was:

Dear Starkville PD,

A man by the name of Bracky Brett tried to sell me crack cocaine. If you look in the trunk of his car, you will find many kilos of crack that were recently placed there. He is dealing crack.

Thank you for making our town safe,
Bully Bulldog

I'm guessing that gets us what we want more quickly.

All we need to do is find a street hood and pay him off to plant the stuff and problem solved. :)

Barking 13
08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
;);)
Dear MSU compliance,

I saw a recruit today for his 6 month dental checkup. I gave him a toothbrush. Should I ask for the toothbrush back or tell him he may not be eligible to play for several games? I would appreciate your help with this matter.

Sincerely

Dental Dawg

;););)