PDA

View Full Version : Just got back....

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2016, 12:35 AM
My observations:

Most of the bad stuff I saw last week was still there, but to a much lesser degree. This was a start, and it was something we had to have.

The front 7 on defense is going to be very good before the year is over. Getting James back in was a big help and what about the FRESHMAN? Simmons seemed to run out of gas a bit late but that dude is GOOD.

Fitz in his brief appearance last week looked looked like a deer in the headlight, bobbling snaps, hesitating, and missing every read. He was a LOT better tonight. He still missed quite a few reads but he made it count when he got them right. I think being told he was THE guy helped settle him. I know the conventional wisdom here is that it should have been that way last week. But given how bad he looked in that game that was a gutsy move by Mullen. If some rumors I heard are true it was more of a risk than will ever be widely known. It paid off. After seeing that I'd rather have him missing a bunch of reads than not having him. Hopefully he will get better on that.

The offensive line was better but it still needs a LOT of work. One of the plays the drunk behind me who kept blasting Holloway went totally bezerk over wasn't his fault. It was the 3rd down inside the five where Holloway got stuffed. Bo Jackson wouldn't have done any better. It's hard to do anything when you are tackled as soon as you get the ball 3 yards deep in the backfield.

The running back situation is what it is. I honestly don't think there is a real answer there till the line gets better. I will say one thing, Shump actually was doing what he needs to do when he is running the ball. He was lowering his head and hitting the line. He had some nice runs, of the kind he is capable of doing. I've bashed him as much as anyone but if he will continue to just hit that line he could become very useful.

The receivers loooked better. There was some separation at times tonight. There were some awful. Drops though.

The kicking game was outstanding..

Hats off to the crowd. Considering what happened last week we showed up, and we were LOUD. There were a few empty seats, but I expected more. We STILL need to work in staying after halftime though. Those who stayed were still loud, but there were not nearly as many there. I understand it was a long delay but still...... It never did rain either, so that excuse won't fly. The students did better than the rest of us in this department for once.

Bottom line... we won a game we HAD to win. It wasn't perfect, but it WAS a step in the right direction. On to the next one.

Commercecomet24
09-11-2016, 12:38 AM
Amen!

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2016, 12:38 AM
P.S. Kick the field goal. Don't fake the punt next time. It did fit the mode we were in , I will say that.

Liverpooldawg
09-11-2016, 12:44 AM
One more PS: The defensive backs looked a LOT better in the first half, the second was creeping back toward what last week was. Better, but the second half showed they still have a very long way to go.

Tbonewannabe
09-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Agreed on everything. Mullen looked like a man on a mission and we played with relentless effort. It wasn't perfect but it was a giant step in the right direction.

EngDawg
09-11-2016, 01:27 AM
Agreed.

On the crowd after the half. I think those of us who where there knew we had to keep the energy up. If we came back from the long half flat, the team sure would.

USC sucks. Their QB made horrendous throws all night long. I really think USA would have beaten them.

The offense has to figure out a way to score TDs in the second half. If we can do that we might win a few ball games here and there.

JohnnyQuid
09-11-2016, 03:09 AM
P.S. Kick the field goal. Don't fake the punt next time. It did fit the mode we were in , I will say that.

agree on the fg take the points early.

the fake punt annoyed the **** outta me because it's 4th and 1 - wanna go for it ? I'm fine with that. but do it on our terms running our best play. not snapping it 15 yards behind the line to least capable guy on the field.

TNDawg35
09-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Agree on everything you said. I did notice how the other backs including Shump hit the line hard and were spinning and fighting for every last yrd. Shump had a couple hard fought runs that I had to do a double take and make sure it was him. Aries looked good and so did Mixon even though he only got one carry (I believe early?). I really liked the trickery. We need to use more misdirection and stuff to that effect. I think the short passes really settled Fitz. His running game, well what can you say. The dude is a beast. Our defense looks damn good with AJ and Simmons. Simmons really impressed me.

Yall can take it how you want, but I believe if we play football like we did in that first half against LSU, I can see us totally coming out of there with a win. They really struggled with a running QB tonight against JSU. He ran all over them. Their passing game is not very good. We make tackles and contain Fournette or Guice, whoever plays cause Fournette has a bad ankle, we have a damn good shot guys...

msbulldog
09-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Agree on everything you said. I did notice how the other backs including Shump hit the line hard and were spinning and fighting for every last yrd. Shump had a couple hard fought runs that I had to do a double take and make sure it was him. Aries looked good and so did Mixon even though he only got one carry (I believe early?). I really liked the trickery. We need to use more misdirection and stuff to that effect. I think the short passes really settled Fitz. His running game, well what can you say. The dude is a beast. Our defense looks damn good with AJ and Simmons. Simmons really impressed me.

Yall can take it how you want, but I believe if we play football like we did in that first half against LSU, I can see us totally coming out of there with a win. They really struggled with a running QB tonight against JSU. He ran all over them. Their passing game is not very good. We make tackles and contain Fournette or Guice, whoever plays cause Fournette has a bad ankle, we have a damn good shot guys...

They might have found a new quarterback, Etling.

basedog
09-11-2016, 08:33 AM
As far as the offensive line, for the most part they played ok. Several plays were bad not because of the line but the play called. This offensive line will get better, when you get 475 yards of offense , get in the red zone 8 times that says something.
If SC has any positive its there front 4, they are pretty dang good and we held our own plus some.

Really Clark?
09-11-2016, 08:35 AM
They might have found a new quarterback, Etling.

He was 6-14 for 100 yards against Jax St. Without the big 46 yard bomb when he first came into the game, 5-13 for 54 yards doesn't scare me much