PDA

View Full Version : Dan on SEC Nation now....

gtowndawg
09-10-2016, 10:05 AM
1. Talked about Dak...
2. We are a development program. Freshman and sophmores are not ready to start. Yes, he actually said that.
3. Guys did their job last week, but not enough intensity (didn't say strain thank goodness).
4.Win or loss tonight, we need to play hard
5. Oh my gosh, he said "need STRAIN on every snap"
6. This place wasnt like it is now 8 years ago...
7. Finebaum says all fans are behind Mullen (huh?)

Nothing of substance at all. Expected I suppose.

RocketDawg
09-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Actually he said "strain" several times. And I believe that the vast majority of the fans are still behind him. 60,000+ go to the games, several more thousand stay at their tailgate and watch television, and many more stay at home and watch on TV; there's probably fewer than 50 Negative Nellies who post here. All fans are at least a little frustrated with last week's loss, but few think it's the end of the world.

I thought Dan did a good job.

SDDawg
09-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Dan said nothing surprising, his energy and tone were good. And elite true freshman do play at MSU. Simmons plays today. Ross played as a freshman, De'Runnya, Chris Jones, Malik Dear, etc. This idea that freshman don't play is silly to me - STOP IT.

gtowndawg
09-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Dan said nothing surprising, his energy and tone were good. And elite true freshman do play at MSU. Simmons plays today. Ross played as a freshman, De'Runnya, Chris Jones, Malik Dear, etc. This idea that freshman don't play is silly to me - STOP IT.

Please point out where I said Freshman are not ready to play. Dan said they are not ready to start.

SDDawg
09-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Please point out where I said Freshman are not ready to play. Dan said they are not ready to start.

Not talking about you, just about this idea. Most freshman aren't ready to play on every college football team. The elite guys always play early. Our team isn't that different. So many of our fans want to jump on this issue and it's just not a real issue to focus on. Dan's quote aside, the facts just don't support it.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-10-2016, 10:28 AM
And now Howland talks about the Freshmen saying they're going to sink or swim.

Really Clark?
09-10-2016, 10:30 AM
And now Howland talks about the Freshmen saying they're going to sink or swim.

Yeah because that's an equal comparison with the two different sports.

SDDawg
09-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Y'all ever heard of Godwin's Law? Well today, I'm officially coining "Mullen's Law" - you heard it hear first. Every MSU football thread will always return to the "we don't play freshmen" topic. Every single time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

HereComesTheSpiral
09-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Yeah because that's an equal comparison with the two different sports.

It's more the attitude, Dan talking about development and players not ready after three years in the program, Ben saying it's your time, make it happen.

Bothrops
09-10-2016, 10:36 AM

This, and guys like Kylin Hill will play as true freshman.

dawgday166
09-10-2016, 10:47 AM

I personally have never said they don't play. I've said they play more on the D side of the ball, especially D linemen. And the ones that are good like Dear, etc., who are electric when they do touch the ball, don't get enough touches. 3 - 5 plays a game out of 70. Dan wants to and likes to rotate a lot of players, which includes the upperclassmen like Shump, who, as much as I like the kid, should rarely be on the field. When we have a RB who might become a bell cow, they don't become that till their Jr year for whatever reason. We're not Bama, so we don't have the luxury of having the depth to rotate so many players with little drop-off in performance, and making sure some preferred (for some reason) seniors get to play a lot.

I guess to sum up, Dan seems more tolerant of juniors and seniors making mistakes or just not being able to physically do the job (like Holloway blocking anybody), than he is of Fr and So.

To add something else that I'm wondering about is Hev's philosophy of making sure the O-line can play practically every position on the O-line. When I heard the day of the game he switched Calhoun and Desper, I scratched my head on that one. Not saying it's a huge adjustment, but I tend to believe it would make them have to think and "remember" more than everything being just automatic because they've done it sooo many times in their #1 position. There is a difference between right and left guard. Switching players around like that leads to those "critical mistakes' as Dan calls them. That's probably why they "go the wrong way" on a play" and miss some assignments.

I also tend to believe put them in 1 position so they can become excellent at that one, as opposed to just servicable at every one across the whole line. Then, if/when injuries do happen, make the adjustments then. In spring maybe see who could possibly play multiple O-line positions, but in fall camp get your rotation more firmly set, barring injuries.

To add something else, if Hev would do a better job in recruiting, he might have a little more depth on the O-line.

Now to really sum all of it up ... I don't believe the coaching staff is putting what talent they do have in the best positions to be successful, as we witnessed last week.

gtowndawg
09-10-2016, 10:47 AM
The other thing Dan said was "by the time they are seniors they are ready to be a star." While that might apply to some, I can see why we lose most blue chips. Everyone else tells them they will be a star ASAP. We tell them they will be a star in 4 years. Right or wrong, it doesn't sell well to many kids we want.

was21
09-10-2016, 10:51 AM
If a lot of time is spent on message boards you can get a lot of negative vibes. For some strange reason, the negative nabobs seem to post more than others. And it would be interesting to know numbers wise how many people actually post on this board and the other one of note.

RougeDawg
09-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I do agree with him on one thing after last week. We are a developmental program. Our HC and his pansy ass philosophy has developed us into Crooms 2.0 and a loss to USA. On that front we are definitely developing. What a crock of shit.

If they aren't ready as freshman Dan, stop running so many GD marathons and playing golf and get them ready, dipshit. How does every other program get young guys on the field early and often? Are we chocked full of 5* NFL guys and the young guys can't break in? He just makes you want to punch him every time he says his stupid shit that justifies his deficiencies and short comings. Getting sick of it.

GreenheadDawg
09-10-2016, 10:57 AM
The other thing Dan said was "by the time they are seniors they are ready to be a star." While that might apply to some, I can see why we lose most blue chips. Everyone else tells them they will be a star ASAP. We tell them they will be a star in 4 years. Right or wrong, it doesn't sell well to many kids we want.

Yep. It's not hard to understand why some big time kids look the other way. No player wants to be told that they will ride the pine until they are a junior. We play some freshman and sophomores but the bulk of the snaps are taken by upperclassmen. It is what it is.

Really Clark?
09-10-2016, 11:12 AM
It's more the attitude, Dan talking about development and players not ready after three years in the program, Ben saying it's your time, make it happen.

But Howland has to with basketball being just one or two years and they are gone to the league if they are good enough. It's just much harder to try and develop kids at a slower pace in basketball.

gtowndawg
09-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Ok, I have to add this. Watching Michigan play and the announcer just said about 3 players, "these guys enroll early, get in ONE summer with Jim Harbaugh and they come out and play like veterans."

I'm not cracking on Mullen, but it's not crazy to think Freshman can be stars their first year, not their last year. So would you want Harbaugh saying it takes once summer to be a star or Mullen ssying it takes 4 years to be a star? You're lying if you say an 18 year old wants the 4 year path to stardom, not the one summer path.

Really Clark?
09-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Ok, I have to add this. Watching Michigan play and the announcer just said about 3 players, "these guys enroll early, get in ONE summer with Jim Harbaugh and they come out and play like veterans."

I'm not cracking on Mullen, but it's not crazy to think Freshman can be stars their first year, not their last year. So would you want Harbaugh saying it takes once summer to be a star or Mullen ssying it takes 4 years to be a star? You're lying if you say an 18 year old wants the 4 year path to stardom, not the one summer path.

Michigan starts 2 underclassman. Both sophomores. The freshman they have played and look good were also 4 & 5 star guys top 200 players. Now I thought Leo could have played for us last year. He is that type but I could see with the depth we had at that position it was a tough call and understand the reasoning. We will see Simmons play a lot I suspect this year.

SallyStansbury
09-10-2016, 12:04 PM

Mullen seemed pretty upbeat in his interview but he is hyper-focused on a philosophy or process, micromanaging, controlling a situation, From this AM: "not making mistakes" lots of comments about development, desperate strain, "avoiding critical errors", "make plays".

Howland says "we want to win", then we play the best players, they go & make us proud.

One guys is inspiring and fun to play for, "Go win!" And the other guy focused on not making errors, learning a complicated system, blah, blah, blah, not so much.

Playing favorites with assistant coaches, and blaming the D when things go wrong, but forcing them to implement a passive system that doesn't go after the QB, or create take-always/turnovers......

Hope today is different than last week, strategically speaking, but it would surprise me if it were. Will be there to support them today, go dawgs!

Liverpooldawg
09-10-2016, 12:11 PM

I see Confederate Rebel recruiting is in full swing.

blacklistedbully
09-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Actually he said "strain" several times. And I believe that the vast majority of the fans are still behind him. 60,000+ go to the games, several more thousand stay at their tailgate and watch television, and many more stay at home and watch on TV; there's probably fewer than 50 Negative Nellies who post here. All fans are at least a little frustrated with last week's loss, but few think it's the end of the world.

I thought Dan did a good job.

You think people pissed at Mullen will automatically stop going to games? You really think everybody who goes to the game are Mullen-supporters??

Here's a reality check for you. If there are 50 people on this board who are pissed at Mullen, you can bet the farm the total number is exponentially greater. In sales, here are a couple of undisputed statistics:

1) For every customer complaint there are 26 other unhappy customers who have remained silent
2) 96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, however 91% of those will simply leave and never come back

Never base the number of dissatisfied fans (customers) on the relatively small # who publicly complain.

That said, I'd love it if Dan gets his shit together and turns it around again. It's just that he seems to have been taking us in the opposite direction for some time.

gtowndawg
09-10-2016, 03:06 PM
I see Confederate Rebel recruiting is in full swing.

Coach Hevesy would you please get ready for the game instead of reading message boards today.

SDDawg
09-10-2016, 03:09 PM
#Agendas