PDA

View Full Version : Why football is dying

Engine
09-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Louisville with 700 yards of offense through 3 quarters.

There's no more drama, just "matchups" and marching up and down the field.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-09-2016, 10:28 PM
wait...what?

msstate7
09-09-2016, 10:30 PM
My favorite style of football is running power and playing good defense. This style seems to be dying with the HUNH.

Engine
09-09-2016, 10:34 PM
My favorite style of football is running power and playing good defense. This style seems to be dying with the HUNH.

Football used to equate power tightness Americanism. Now it's gimmicky.

TimberBeast
09-09-2016, 10:43 PM

Yep been going on for a while now, without fantasy football I think the nfl would be hurting. I have been losing interest more and more every year, especially watching the type of offense that mullen runs, and I know that's just my opinion.

Bass Chaser
09-09-2016, 10:47 PM
When the forward pass was untroduced the game changed. Pace of play has peaked. It's still dramatic. It's just not on the defensive side but on the offense.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 10:49 PM
When the forward pass was untroduced the game changed. Pace of play has peaked. It's still dramatic. It's just not on the defensive side but on the offense.

Call me crazy, but I love defensive football. Lsu/Alabama '11 (the first round) was one of my favorite games to watch

Bass Chaser
09-09-2016, 10:52 PM
I don't disagree I like defensive football, but if younlook st the key metrics we used to look at they don't mean much anymore.

fader2103
09-09-2016, 10:52 PM
I love defensive battles also. I hate high scoring affairs

preachermatt83
09-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Petrino is an offensive genius. I've never seen anything like it.

lastmajordog
09-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Have to admit that is one draw of Bama football besides the winning....the way they do......smashmouth......and kick Arss defense.......

TUSK
09-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Ahem.....

mstatefan91
09-10-2016, 12:57 AM

The forward pass was introduced 110 years ago... Seriously?

munk_munk92
09-10-2016, 03:01 AM
Have anyone of you guys looked at 247 sports college team talent? It shows how many stars each team has. Of course bama is number one but louisville is number 30, do you think they would lose to USA???????? We are ranked 28 if you wanted to know. And the team up north is ranked 14. They have 4- 5 stars and 26 - 4 stars, we have 14 - 4 stars

TUSK
09-10-2016, 04:26 AM
The forward pass was introduced 110 years ago... Seriously?

some tumors are slow in growth....

now, the HUNH tumor is a rapid growth one.... or so I've heard....

Fortunately, there is a "process" for killin' said tumor....

Dawgface
09-10-2016, 07:29 AM
Agree. Give me a good 17-14 game any day over a 54-51 no D game. I'm old so I like old school football.

dawgs
09-10-2016, 10:09 AM

I thought innovation was very American. Innovative "gimmicky" offenses allow programs like Louisville, baylor, Oregon, etc. to compete with the teams consistently pulling top 10 classes. That's why I've always been so frustrated with Mullen, even at our best. He ran an offense that had plays like HUNH offenses ran, but he didn't run plays at the pace those programs do, and it's the pace that can be an equalizer against bama and lsu type talented teams. He just never fully committed it seemed.

That said, what's killing football is the rise in concussion awareness and the long term effects, and the rising insurance premiums for youth, junior high, and high school programs. I think in 20 years you'll be shocked at the number of HS's not offering football anymore, and you'll be shocked at the decline in participation which will reduce the talent pool. It's already starting. Hope y'all like baseball or soccer or something else.

dawgs
09-10-2016, 10:11 AM
some tumors are slow in growth....

now, the HUNH tumor is a rapid growth one.... or so I've heard....

Fortunately, there is a "process" for killin' said tumor....

Yeah, the "process" is recruiting a bunch of 5* front 7 players that weigh on average about 30 lbs less than the 5* front 7 players y'all used to recruit earlier in saban's tenure.

EngDawg
09-10-2016, 11:16 AM
No. Football is dying because of over sensitive, bubble wrap our children, sensational, leftists yellow journalism reports like this one:
https://youtu.be/78Ex9yH3qeA

IMissJack
09-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Rules that all favor the passing offense and discourage hard hits has caused this...

fader2103
09-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Also the passing and gimmicky offenses are causing the games to drag on. This is the same reason baseball is dying. The games take to long!

TUSK
09-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the "process" is recruiting a bunch of 5* front 7 players that weigh on average about 30 lbs less than the 5* front 7 players y'all used to recruit earlier in saban's tenure.

not really...

recruits haven't changed as much as the S&C philosophy... but I get your point....

TUSK
09-10-2016, 01:14 PM
No. Football is dying because of over sensitive, bubble wrap our children, sensational, leftists yellow journalism reports like this one:
https://youtu.be/78Ex9yH3qeA

That shit is nuts... Our "youths" & "teens" are much, much safer safer on the football field than the are on (most of) the streets in front of their homes....

I wanna see a report that that compares & contrasts risk by NOT being successful at knocking out/getting knocked out on the football field vs the alternative...

dawgs
09-10-2016, 03:54 PM
That shit is nuts... Our "youths" & "teens" are much, much safer safer on the football field than the are on (most of) the streets in front of their homes....

I wanna see a report that that compares & contrasts risk by NOT being successful at knocking out/getting knocked out on the football field vs the alternative...

i see you missed the real point and the very real concerns. hey, when it's something you enjoy, just deflect and attack the messenger for being liberal and everything they say is worthless after that, right?