PDA

View Full Version : Mullen's QB dillema

Irondawg
09-09-2016, 02:25 PM
I've been sitting here all week trying to figure out Mullen's take on the QB situation and if he's screwed it up this QB situation of if it's a no-win situation and the recruiting is to blame.

Going into the Spring and Fall we had 4 options. We split reps evenly in the spring, let the QB's take hits in the spring game and then work all the way into summer. The fact that it was still a battle deep into Aug was making it clear that either they were (a) all good (b) all terrible (c) a new mixed bag every day or (d) Mullen's love for upperclassmen was getting in the way.

The rumor mill consensus was that D. Williams had no chance being the least physcially talented of the bunch. Fitz was probably the favorite as the No. 2 last year and was the best physically for the run option, however there is concern he's a prick and nobody likes him. Staley was lauded as the best arm talent but injuries and lack of focus put him behind. Meanwhile we kept hearing Tiano was a coaching staff favorite but the concern was he had no college game experience. Players had commented on his arm strength in the past and he ran well enough in the spring game.

Staley eventually decides to move on. We knew someone (or two) would. Everybody liked him and wished him well. Time well tell if that's a colossal mistake in hindsight but to a large degree he dug his own grave at MSU.

We all assume (correctly) that there is no way Mullen starts Tiano based soley on lack of experience. Consenus says Fitz and that's what we get although we know we'll see D-will as well.

The main question on this end is did losing additional reps hurt development of the guy you want to be the starter? We'll never know.

Saturday comes and Fitz gets some bad play calls but also misreads a few plays and is very slow through progressions and decision making. Williams comes in and is much quicker with decisions and leads a couple of nice drives before the clock hit midnight and we completely lost the ability to move the ball through the air.

So we learned that Williams is going to be extremely sporadic throwing the ball and Fitz is likely too slow through his progressions although we did have a small sample size. However that's how he looked like year on all the short and intermediate routes. Plus if the team doesn't like him, is he ever going to be able to inspire a team to play above themselves?

Neither one gives you much faith against a real SEC defense.

My question is how did Tiano look in practice against the others and what does the team think of him. If he was at worst equal and he's the guy as a coaching staff you love, why not try him against USA and let him grow there. Yeah, you're sure to piss off the others and maybe you lose them in the locker room. But your job is the to win games and as long as the rest of the team has confidence in him you can't worry too much about what the backup QBs think.

What do ya'll think - Mullen just trying to deal with a bad hand or did he make mistakes in how he handled the competition?

Jack Lambert
09-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Who gives a shit if no body likes him. Suit up go to field and leave that shit out of the locker room and off the field. Be ****ing men and act like it. I don't want to hear this shit, they are only 18 and 19 years old. When I was 19 I was in the Marine corp learning how and preparing to go kill someone. Play the game as you know how to play. Do your best no matter who the QB is. Worry about that other shit later when you get out of the locker room.

tireddawg
09-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Agree with you Jack. That's a *****'s mentality. Go Play the 17ing game! Leave all that other shit at the door.

Thanks for your service

maroonmania
09-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Guess until I see different I'm convinced that we just have a much of mediocre QBs and that is why nobody was or is separating themselves from anyone else. I'm basing that primarily from what I saw in the Spring game and what I saw this past Saturday.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I developed a theory on my own - I wonder if Mullen felt like he HAD to give some of the people who played the opportunity. He talks so much about "program" guys and experience that he needed them to fail in someway to justify making personnel changes and avoid a bunch of Zach Jackson type situations. I don't think he expected that to end up in a loss, but it is almost like he needs an excuse instead of just manning up and saying "Cougar was 1st. He's out. That makes you #1 Maverick."

Maroonthirteen
09-09-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking....

It is what Mullen said. Fitz is doing the best in practice but didn't perform in the game. Williams did. So there you go. I would imagine Tiano is behind in the play book.

The rumors about Fitz were probably started by some pencil neck that had his girl stolen by Fitz. Then our fan base spreads the rumor.

justwin
09-09-2016, 04:48 PM
It's not that hard to figure out. Fitz is by far the best QB. By far. In the body of work that we've seen in both spring games, vs Troy, creampuff, and 4Q vs Bama, he at least "flashes" on tape. How the hell Mullen, the QB whisperer, didn't come to that conclusion tells you he wanted to play the senior.

But make no mistake, Mullen played who he wanted to play, the senior which is what he wanted to do all along. Mullen could've easily named Fitz the starter last spring, summer, fall and have players/fans rally around him, but Mullen wanted to play the senior and senior ****ed him vs USA of all people.

Yes, I like that Fitz drinks and parties. Nothing at all wrong with that. I like that in my QB and quite frankly I guarantee you players on the team like him. This is not a Connor Cook or Hackenberg situation where teammates hated those guys so our fans need to quit with the "prick" or "arrogant" comments immediately. But let's be very clear, Fitz has been nothing short of No sir, yes mam, humble behind Dak, developed, etc since the Day he got here a few Decembers ago.

It's time for Mullen to quit overthinking it and play Fitz. Rollouts, bootlegs, option runs, etc early to activate his legs and confidence just like Jimbo did with Francois, his new QB the other night.

gtowndawg
09-09-2016, 05:09 PM
When I was 19 I was in the Marine corp learning how and preparing to go kill someone.

That does sort of put things in perspective doesn't it?

TNDawg35
09-09-2016, 05:15 PM
I developed a theory on my own - I wonder if Mullen felt like he HAD to give some of the people who played the opportunity. He talks so much about "program" guys and experience that he needed them to fail in someway to justify making personnel changes and avoid a bunch of Zach Jackson type situations. I don't think he expected that to end up in a loss, but it is almost like he needs an excuse instead of just manning up and saying "Cougar was 1st. He's out. That makes you #1 Maverick."

I made almost this exact comment Sunday after the game when we were talking about it. It was almost like he let him start to shut the fan base up, then once he made the first 2 possessions look bad, he said here is my chance to be right, and never looked back. I even told my wife when she told me Fitz was starting that he wouldn't play long...

Maroonthirteen
09-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Has Mullen named a starting QB?

I missed the press conference.

bulldawg28
09-09-2016, 06:11 PM
I'm thinking....

It is what Mullen said. Fitz is doing the best in practice but didn't perform in the game. Williams did. So there you go. I would imagine Tiano is behind in the play book.

The rumors about Fitz were probably started by some pencil neck that had his girl stolen by Fitz. Then our fan base spreads the rumor.

The facts of Fitz started with Fitz and teammates not being buddies are true. However, winning solves all. Hopefully Mullen allows him to win the team over by more playing time.

bobtail bob
09-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Our football team has a offensive line problem. Been that way for years......

chef dixon
09-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Our fans obsession with Fitz is weird. He's proven absolutely nothing. The best he's looked is 2 spring games ago. Our offense was shit against Troy last year. Yes he looks good running the ball but hasn't necessarily excelled with that on the field yet and takes some pretty good licks you'd like to see your QB avoid.

Could he be the best we have? Maybe, but that doesn't mean he can obviously get the job done. If I'm Dan, I give all 3 a shot tomorrow night.

TNDawg35
09-09-2016, 07:30 PM
I believe most of us just want to see the best out there. Whether that be Fitz or Tiano. If they both cant get it done, them Williams it is. Fitz didnt get a fair shot the other day to prove himself. He should have gotten a quater, Williams get one, then Tiano. I believe we all just want our best 11 on the field at any given time.

munk_munk92
09-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Tiano should be the starter, end of story. He's the better qb and don't spout that behind in the playbook crap. Other teams play freshmen qb's all the time. I went to the spring game and saw Tiano in person. He moved the ball better than all of them.

I_Spy
09-09-2016, 08:48 PM
What does the oline have to do with late passes and no allowed sacks?

In the last game anyway.

HoopsDawg
09-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Our fans obsession with Fitz is weird. He's proven absolutely nothing. The best he's looked is 2 spring games ago. Our offense was shit against Troy last year. Yes he looks good running the ball but hasn't necessarily excelled with that on the field yet and takes some pretty good licks you'd like to see your QB avoid.

Could he be the best we have? Maybe, but that doesn't mean he can obviously get the job done. If I'm Dan, I give all 3 a shot tomorrow night.

Agree. My opinion is that Damien is our best right now, but that Tiano needs to be given the reigns.

I_Spy
09-09-2016, 08:55 PM
I agree Damian is the best and I don't think he sucks. His style needs a strong running game to open up all the passing. So it should be hefty or heavily stacked that way with all the backs. You can run Holloway up the middle if u run some option before that. I think.

I_Spy
09-09-2016, 08:57 PM
They have a speedy delay play that has everyone running left or right while speed back goes up middle, then Damien can carve the field up passing in increments.

Maroonthirteen
09-09-2016, 09:15 PM

Do you mean a weird obsession with Tiano? Because he is the only one that has NOT taken a live game snap but yet you see plenty of fans that label him the best. Based on the spring game.