PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina: A Must Win?

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Gents, I wrote an article at M&WN about the idea of whether or not SCar is a must win. Do yourself a favor and take a look. I'd love for this thread to have some great discussion about the idea.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/09/09/south-carolina-a-must-win/

TNDawg35
09-09-2016, 11:45 AM
As always, great article... I'm with you and think this IS a must win. If we loose this game, alot of people will jump off the cliff, including myself... But, if we loose this game with our best people on the field, it will be a different story. Stop messing with the QB and the RB and lets play MSU football and punch someone in the 17in mouth by god...

TimberBeast
09-09-2016, 11:48 AM
South Alabama was a must win.

Gomez09
09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
I will say its a must win for the following reasons. If we lose this game things will start to unravel. NO bowl game, the attendance will drop and the pitch forks will be out for Mullen and the City will suffer also as people will stop coming and spend their dollars elsewhere. If we cant beat USCe then were going to absolutely suck. I say its a must win in every aspect of the words

mcain31
09-09-2016, 12:11 PM
It is a must win, and we need to get other players time on the field.

maroonmania
09-09-2016, 12:37 PM
I will say its a must win for the following reasons. If we lose this game things will start to unravel. NO bowl game, the attendance will drop and the pitch forks will be out for Mullen and the City will suffer also as people will stop coming and spend their dollars elsewhere. If we cant beat USCe then were going to absolutely suck. I say its a must win in every aspect of the words

I'm not sure if it will be anger and pitchforks as much as apathy. I mean I appreciate the success that Mullen has had overall and I am willing to give him an opportunity to turn things around BUT, as far as this season, if we lose this game I won't really care much anymore. All of the basic goals of the season just to get to respectability and a minor bowl game will be gone and most of my attention will turn to other things.

Gomez09
09-09-2016, 01:47 PM
That's my feelings as well maroon.

War Machine Dawg
09-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Bump

Maroonthirteen
09-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Does a bear scat in the Grove?

Lose this game, tickets will be free the remainder of the season.

It_Could_Happen
09-09-2016, 05:56 PM
I think it is for 2 reasons already mentioned:

1. If we lose 0% chance of a bowl game
2. Things will start to unravel badly. 2-10 really might become a reality.

MedDawg
09-09-2016, 06:29 PM
Gents, I wrote an article at M&WN about the idea of whether or not SCar is a must win. Do yourself a favor and take a look. I'd love for this thread to have some great discussion about the idea.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/09/09/south-carolina-a-must-win/

I rarely think a game is a must win, but my first thought was that the South Carolina is.

Of course, we could lose to South Carolina, lose a close one to LSU to go 0-3 but gain some confidence/figure some things out, and win the next 6 (@UMass, Auburn, @BYU, @UK, Samford, and Texas A&M). Even if we lost to Bama, Arkansas, and OM, we'd make a bad bowl. Maybe a QB would stand out in the final 9-10 games. Then many would see it as a rebuilding year, then enjoy OM receiving sanctions, then look forward to MSU being better in 2017.

That scenario would still be kind of crappy but is something we have already done a couple times, including 2013, which we followed with our best two-year stretch ever. So that scenario makes South Carolina a sort of must win, not an absolute must win.

Now that crappy bowl, going into it at 6-6....THAT would be an absolute must win.

Goldendawg
09-09-2016, 06:48 PM
H-E-Double Hockey Sticks Yes it is a must win. Almost every team with half a pulse gets to go to the 100 or so bowl games now, even some with losing records. A 2-10 record won't get us there, but neither will 4 OOC wins, 2 wins over weak East teams, or a couple of wins over toss up teams in the West get me to go to a bowl anymore if we don't compete against LSU, aTm, and totally don't show up against Bama and UNM to finish out the regular season. The bar has been raised. A bowl game sure doesn't mean what it used to unless it's on New Year's Day or the playoffs ( a dream for us right now for sure as Dan and Hev have us in a nightmare)!

TUSK
09-09-2016, 07:07 PM
no doubt.

youraveragesavage
09-09-2016, 07:33 PM
If and I mean IF, we can get decent qb play, I think we can win big in this game. With poor qb play, this is going to be a nail biter. The entire program should want to play the best we've ever seen tomorrow, and I'll be at dws to see what happens. Hail State!

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-09-2016, 07:38 PM
You Damn right it is!!

Dawgface
09-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Yes..a must win.

anubus
09-09-2016, 09:40 PM
definitely a must win because after Saturday's loss we'll see what kind of will and pride we have.

TimberBeast
09-09-2016, 10:54 PM
definitely a must win because after Saturday's loss we'll see what kind of will and pride we have.

To be honest I think we saw that last weekend. Beating a shitty SC team at home SHOULDN'T be that big of a deal except the fact that it's an SEC game. It's going to take more than that to make up for last weekend's loss. We will probably watch Dan pull a cluster**** at QB and still play DW most of the time. And likely still see Holloway with the same BS.

lastmajordog
09-09-2016, 11:03 PM
I not only think it’s must win....I think the WAY the Dogs do it is just as important.......a crappy win won’t get attention......The Dogs need a big loud crowd and a DOMINATING EXCITING win on BOTH sides of the ball. It seems several recruits have backed down.....a BIG win with announcers gushing about the big hits and Big RUNS would go along way toward recapturing some respect.......JHMO

TUSK
09-10-2016, 02:58 AM
yall are gettin' a "do over" vs a more talented team... but it's a winnable game...

just handle biz.

Dolphus Raymond
09-10-2016, 05:02 AM
This game being a "must-win" is an understatement.