PDA

View Full Version : Was there a revolt in our RB meeting room this week?

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Not sure if there is any truth to this, but I read this rumor on another board & Brandon Walker also mentioned the rumor on "Keeping it 100" today.

Sounds like some of the young RBs may have created a stir in the meeting room.

Anyone heard about any of this?

Johnson85
09-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Not sure if there is any truth to this, but I read this rumor on another board & Brandon Walker also mentioned the rumor on "Keeping it 100" today.

I kind of hope we did. Something has to shakeup there. I'm a big fan of HOlloway, but there is no reason he needs 11 carries in a game. That's not good for the team and not good for him.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 11:10 AM
I kind of hope we did. Something has to shakeup there. I'm a big fan of HOlloway, but there is no reason he needs 11 carries in a game. That's not good for the team and not good for him.

Yeah, too many carries. I think some of his 4th quarter woes were due to many body shots he took through out the game... The oline shoulders responsibility too

Thick
09-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Well.....what happened?

TimberBeast
09-09-2016, 11:14 AM

I sure hope so, someone has to get through to mullen.

Beaver
09-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Well they're in there watching film and probably wondering why coach keeps pounding Holloway up the middle while they stand on the sidelines...

Irondawg
09-09-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm sure all the youngs backs got on here and read how they were better than the starters and complained to the coaching staff***

But honestly, no clue who determines the RB playing time but I refuse to believe out of the group of guys we're recruited that we don't have a few competent runners. Aeris has looked fine when he's run it and Gibson and Murphy both looked good in the spring. As everyoen says Holloway has a very important role, but it's Darren Sproles.

preachermatt83
09-09-2016, 11:35 AM
First I've heard of it but hope it's true

deltadawg99
09-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Holloway in space is very effective but he gets far too many touches on plays that have him in between the tackles.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Williams only have 1 carry and it was for 7 yards?

msstate7
09-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Holloway in space is very effective but he gets far too many touches on plays that have him in between the tackles.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Williams only have 1 carry and it was for 7 yards?

2 for 12

starkvegasdawg
09-09-2016, 11:51 AM
2 for 12

************6.0ypc? That just sucks. No wonder he never saw more playing time. What kind of success can you have with that kind of poor production? NO, we need Holloway up the middle for half a yard.************

MSUDawg99
09-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Well.....what happened?

They're apparently disgruntled at their lack of playing time, is my guess, from what Brandon was saying.

Gomez09
09-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Well they should be upset about it

msstate7
09-09-2016, 11:55 AM
************6.0ypc? That just sucks. No wonder he never saw more playing time. What kind of success can you have with that kind of poor production? NO, we need Holloway up the middle for half a yard.************

I agree aeris needs more carries. What's funny about what you said though is we had 34 carries for 250 yards ~ 7 yards per carry.

Thick
09-09-2016, 11:56 AM
OM would love to have Williams, Murphey, and Gibson.

fader2103
09-09-2016, 11:57 AM
If it did happen I will say it doesn't end well for Mullen. Why?

1. Start of inmates running the asylum.
2. No leadership
3. Players losing trust in coaching staff

msstate7
09-09-2016, 11:57 AM
OM would love to have Williams, Murphey, and Gibson.

And I would love to have metcalf, Jefferson, and aj. Go work out the trade**

msstate7
09-09-2016, 11:58 AM
If it did happen I will say it doesn't end well for Mullen. Why?

1. Start of inmates running the asylum.
2. No leadership
3. Players losing trust in coaching staff

As long as the players aren't going to the media complaining, I don't think it's a big deal

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 12:01 PM

The Beaver must love them too ... they're playing in the first game of their career against, not USA, but FSU.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 12:05 PM
The Beaver must love them too ... they're playing in the first game of their career against, not USA, but FSU.

Jefferson is RS. Aj and metcalf did have impressive 1st half plays, but disappeared after that.

MaroonFlounder
09-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Jefferson is RS. Aj and metcalf did have impressive 1st half plays, but disappeared after that.

Van had 2 catches in the game monday night

Really Clark?
09-09-2016, 12:23 PM
nm

Johnson85
09-09-2016, 12:43 PM
I agree aeris needs more carries. What's funny about what you said though is we had 34 carries for 250 yards ~ 7 yards per carry.

The total was inflated by WR runs, but even so, Holloway averaged like 4 yards per carry. I just don't understand what Aeris is doing that is preventing him from getting more than two carries. If he's bringing his bong with him to practice or beating up women in his spare time or what, he needs to cut it out and get some more playing time. And if he's not doing anything like that, then I really don't understand what the hell Mullen is doing. Of course I didn't understand what he was doing Perk's senior year, and I understand that a little better now.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-09-2016, 01:15 PM
The total was inflated by WR runs, but even so, Holloway averaged like 4 yards per carry. I just don't understand what Aeris is doing that is preventing him from getting more than two carries. If he's bringing his bong with him to practice or beating up women in his spare time or what, he needs to cut it out and get some more playing time. And if he's not doing anything like that, then I really don't understand what the hell Mullen is doing. Of course I didn't understand what he was doing Perk's senior year, and I understand that a little better now.

And that's including these runs:
(14:55 - 1st) Brandon Holloway run for 2 yds to the MisSt 26
(6:03 - 2nd) Brandon Holloway run for a loss of 1 yard to the SAlab 25
(9:01 - 3rd) Brandon Holloway run for no gain to the SAlab 48
(11:23 - 4th) Brandon Holloway run for no gain to the 50 yard line
(8:43 - 4th) Brandon Holloway run for no gain to the MisSt 41
(7:48 - 4th) Brandon Holloway run for 2 yds to the SAlab 44

msstate7
09-09-2016, 01:20 PM

At least 4 of those were 2nd half. I think that's the danger in using him too much early. Bigger backs wear defenses down in the 2nd half, but Holloway isn't big so hits take their toll after early overusage imo

sandwolf
09-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Van had 2 catches in the game monday night

He was saying that he is a RS freshman, as opposed to a true freshman.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 02:11 PM
He was saying that he is a RS freshman, as opposed to a true freshman.

Yep. Also of note, om played 2 freshmen and 2 RS freshmen in their secondary Monday night... That didn't turn out so well

Thick
09-09-2016, 02:25 PM

They wouldn't come here because Dan would have sat them for 3 years.

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Yep. Also of note, om played 2 freshmen and 2 RS freshmen in their secondary Monday night... That didn't turn out so well

Yea, those FR should be feeling real bad getting lit up by FSU in Tallahassee in their very first college game, since FSU normally doesn't do that to everybody, usually regardless of where they play. USA, on the other hand, usually does light up everybody they play on the road in Starkville, MS.

RS or True FR .. they still playing their very first college game on the road against a NC contender.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Yea, those FR should be feeling real bad getting lit up by FSU in Tallahassee in their very first college game, since FSU normally doesn't do that to everybody, usually regardless of where they play. USA, on the other hand, usually does light up everybody they play on the road in Starkville, MS.

RS or True FR .. they still playing their very first college game on the road against a NC contender.

They got lit up by a RS freshman qb... Not the point though. Playing freshmen isn't always the greatest thing ever like a ton of guys here seem to think.

Oh and you seem to really take offense with what you I guess took as a shot at om freshmen. Sorry, I offended you

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 02:40 PM
They got lit up by a RS freshman qb... Not the point though. Playing freshmen isn't always the greatest thing ever like a ton of guys here seem to think.

Oh and you seem to really take offense with what you I guess took as a shot at om freshmen. Sorry, I offended you

Whatever ... I wasn't offended. Just thought your comment didn't hold water. True FR QB was in his home place with his fans behind him AND ... his head coach/former O coordinator wasn't concerned with what his team's D was doing, he was over there on the bench talking/working with his young RS FR QB.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Whatever ... I wasn't offended. Just thought your comment didn't hold water. True FR QB was in his home place with his fans behind him AND ... his head coach/former O coordinator wasn't concerned with what his team's D was doing, he was over there on the bench talking/working with his young RS FR QB.

Well there have been a ton of posts talking about how great freshmen are yet my post was the only one that showed freshmen didn't play well. As someone in another thread said about all the freshmen playing in the sec last weekend, this was the worst start for the sec in a long time.

BB30
09-09-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't understand Aeris getting more touches. But, has anyone thought that maybe our freshman just aren't talented enough to make the jump right away. Yes, that comes back on Mullen as well. But, if you look at the Freshman OM played I.E. Metcalf/Brown they were and are extremely talented and would be playing and probably starting at the majority of schools that offered them. We don't have a freshman or redshirt freshman for that matter that have the skill set they had coming out of highschool. I for one do not want a freshman that is not ready to play be left out to dry just for the sake of playing freshman.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't understand Aeris getting more touches. But, has anyone thought that maybe our freshman just aren't talented enough to make the jump right away. Yes, that comes back on Mullen as well. But, if you look at the Freshman OM played I.E. Metcalf/Brown they were and are extremely talented and would be playing and probably starting at the majority of schools that offered them. We don't have a freshman or redshirt freshman for that matter that have the skill set they had coming out of highschool. I for one do not want a freshman that is not ready to play be left out to dry just for the sake of playing freshman.

Ever heard of Leo Lewis or Jeffrey Simmons?

BB30
09-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Yes and looks like they are playing so I don't see the argument there. They were obviously highly rated as well. I am talking about our young RBs and other positions people are complaining about. Thanks for pointing that out though. What I am trying to get across is that our young freshman that are capable of playing are most certainly playing. Therefore I can only assume the other young guys that people here on this site want to play are obviously not ready to play. Again, thanks for proving my point that Mullen probably has a pretty good idea of who is ready to contribute and who is not.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Yes and looks like they are playing so I don't see the argument there. They were obviously highly rated as well. I am talking about our young RBs and other positions people are complaining about. Thanks for pointing that out though. What I am trying to get across is that our young freshman that are capable of playing are most certainly playing. Therefore I can only assume the other young guys that people here on this site want to play are obviously not ready to play. Again, thanks for proving my point that Mullen probably has a pretty good idea of who is ready to contribute and who is not.

Misunderstood you then... We seem to agree

Johnson85
09-09-2016, 03:06 PM

It's not that playing freshmen is great, it's that when you have an upperclassman and an underclassman that are close, the underclassman has at least got to get close to half the snaps. If a guy has an extra year or more in the system and can't separate himself, you've got to at least roughly split the snaps (and touches for skill players on O) so that you give the underclassman a chance to reach his ceiling.

Last year, I could believe that neither Aeris Williams or D. Lee had it together off the field and that the true freshmen weren't ready, and therefore we had no choice but to play Shump and use Holloway as our primary back. But if you're telling me that out of Williams, Lee, Murphy, and Gibson, not one of them is more talented than Holloway as an everydown back and also capable of staying out of Dan's doghouse for off field issues, then that makes me think it's extremely likely Mullen is the problem. Either he's doing a shitty job recruiting or he has unrealistic expectations for behavior.

fishwater99
09-09-2016, 03:12 PM

Mullen doesn't trust underclassmen at RB, until he is a Junior he won't get the carries.

TimberBeast
09-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Well there have been a ton of posts talking about how great freshmen are yet my post was the only one that showed freshmen didn't play well. As someone in another thread said about all the freshmen playing in the sec last weekend, this was the worst start for the sec in a long time.

No one is saying play all the freshmen and you know it. This is about playing better players, regardless of the their class, and really it's mostly about QB and RB, where we absolutely played the worst options out of each position.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 03:15 PM
It's not that playing freshmen is great, it's that when you have an upperclassman and an underclassman that are close, the underclassman has at least got to get close to half the snaps. If a guy has an extra year or more in the system and can't separate himself, you've got to at least roughly split the snaps (and touches for skill players on O) so that you give the underclassman a chance to reach his ceiling.

Last year, I could believe that neither Aeris Williams or D. Lee had it together off the field and that the true freshmen weren't ready, and therefore we had no choice but to play Shump and use Holloway as our primary back. But if you're telling me that out of Williams, Lee, Murphy, and Gibson, not one of them is more talented than Holloway as an everydown back and also capable of staying out of Dan's doghouse for off field issues, then that makes me think it's extremely likely Mullen is the problem. Either he's doing a shitty job recruiting or he has unrealistic expectations for behavior.

How many fumbles did aeris have last year? I know he had the huge one vs aTm, but I seem to remember more... Maybe he fumbles in practice or something and that makes Dan not trust him of something

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-09-2016, 03:19 PM
At least 4 of those were 2nd half. I think that's the danger in using him too much early. Bigger backs wear defenses down in the 2nd half, but Holloway isn't big so hits take their toll after early overusage imo

That's a great point. Let's look at the positive plays he made:

(11:20 - 2nd) Brandon Holloway run for 7 yds for a TD, (Westin Graves KICK)
(7:18 - 2nd) Brandon Holloway run for 20 yds to the SAlab 44 for a 1ST down
(0:46 - 4th) Brandon Holloway run for 8 yds to the SAlab 43

Jack Lambert
09-09-2016, 03:19 PM

If I am not mistaking I remember hearing that Dion Sanders had more carries for lost then carries for gain but still one of the all time rushing leaders in the Nfl.

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 03:20 PM
How many fumbles did aeris have last year? I know he had the huge one vs aTm, but I seem to remember more... Maybe he fumbles in practice or something and that makes Dan not trust him of something

Shump fumbled right out of the gate against USM. Almost got us in trouble in that game. If you recall that was a little bit of a struggle to win. I believe he had at least one more fumble too. And, while I was a little surprised by this, he wiffed or went the wrong direction on a couple of blitz pickups too.

Cooterpoot
09-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Aries is struggling with the blocking and he's had fumble issues in the past and at practice.

tireddawg
09-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Ok. But Dan gave him 2 carries & he did well so why not give him more? Why just 2? If he doesn't trust him, & he does well when he gets carries, shouldn't that trust go up & he get more carries. Dan's just being a stubborn 17ing ass. I hope everyone of them told him to 17 off in the meeting

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 03:39 PM
If I am not mistaking I remember hearing that Dion Sanders had more carries for lost then carries for gain but still one of the all time rushing leaders in the Nfl.

Uh ... Mr. Lambert sir ... are you joking on this one?

msstate7
09-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Ok. But Dan gave him 2 carries & he did well so why not give him more? Why just 2? If he doesn't trust him, & he does well when he gets carries, shouldn't that trust go up & he get more carries. Dan's just being a stubborn 17ing ass. I hope everyone of them told him to 17 off in the meeting

Maybe he wanted South Carolina game planning for Holloway instead of aeris... Probably reaching, but who knows

msstate7
09-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Uh ... Mr. Lambert sir ... are you joking on this one?

Plug Barry in for dion

msstate7
09-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Shump fumbled right out of the gate against USM. Almost got us in trouble in that game. If you recall that was a little bit of a struggle to win. I believe he had at least one more fumble too. And, while I was a little surprised by this, he wiffed or went the wrong direction on a couple of blitz pickups too.

Last year, Shump got 59 carries to aeris' 40. In conference only games, shump got 31 (10 in first sec game vs lsu) to aeris' 20. They got relatively the same amount of carries after the lsu game.

EdDawg
09-09-2016, 03:53 PM
We hear the pass protection excuse over and over, and i guess only the coaches truly know.

However, if I had a back that could run the ball and struggled in pass pro I would I don't know maybe SEND HIM OUT FOR A PASS! If his man blitzes then check down.

If a player struggles with a certain area don't continue to try to hammer it into them, help them out.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 03:54 PM
We hear the pass protection excuse over and over, and i guess only the coaches truly know.

However, if I had a back that could run the ball and struggled in pass pro I would I don't know maybe SEND HIM OUT FOR A PASS! If his man blitzes then check down.

If a player struggles with a certain area don't continue to try to hammer it into them, help them out.

Wasn't pass protection a big part of jrob's early exit from the nfl?

DawgInMemphis
09-09-2016, 04:05 PM

I'll have what he's having.

Dolphus Raymond
09-09-2016, 04:07 PM
If a back is having trouble pass-blocking then coach him up!! It is DM's job to ensure that his assistants do their's. Just damn.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-09-2016, 04:16 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/R6bDgXEXCLcIw/giphy.gif

msstate7
09-09-2016, 04:18 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/R6bDgXEXCLcIw/giphy.gif

Y'all give jack a break. It's been a hell of a week losing to USA. He meant "Barry", not "dion" haha

DawgInMemphis
09-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Y'all give jack a break. It's been a hell of a week losing to USA. He meant "Barry", not "dion" haha

You think Barry Sanders had more carries for loss than for gain?

msstate7
09-09-2016, 04:25 PM
You think Barry Sanders had more carries for loss than for gain?

Probably not, but I remember watching Barry a lot and he'd do something similar...

Run for 1
Loss of 1
No gain
Run for 3
Run for 70

So if the game stopped there, he'd be 5 carries for 73, but 4 were garbage.

Again though, I doubt he had more negative carries than positive. He did have a ton of no gain and negative carries though

Really Clark?
09-09-2016, 04:31 PM
The Sanders stat is he has the NFL record for most negative yards. Like 1,100. This does not take into consideration yards for no gain. Just negative yards.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 04:34 PM
No idea if this stat is true, but I found this on Barry...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100704151311AAGrHax

Says Barry has the all time nfl record for negative carries...

336 att -952 yards

Barry had 3,062 carries; so if above stat is true, Barry had more positive carries than negative assuming he didn't have more than 1,195 carries for no gain.

Jarius
09-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Aries is struggling with the blocking and he's had fumble issues in the past and at practice.

Yet we continue to play a tailback in holloway that can't block even if he does know his assignment because he weighs 120 pounds and isn't physically strong enough to block sec lbs and dls...

Really Clark?
09-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Yet we continue to play a tailback in holloway that can't block even if he does know his assignment because he weighs 120 pounds and isn't physically strong enough to block sec lbs and dls...

But he normally isn't asked to block that much. He is running a route or is a safety outlet most of the time

justwin
09-09-2016, 04:55 PM

I'll believe this when I see it. Aeris had one bad play last year due to a great play made by a great player in Myles Garrett, the potential #1 draft pick in this years draft.

People bitched all summer about our OL, but Lee & Aeris had no problems running behind them last year.

Mullen's biggest weakness is he's clueless on how to use a RB. Clueless. The best RB he's had got him to #1 in Josh Robinson. On campus 4 years and got 10 good games out of him.

EdDawg
09-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Wasn't pass protection a big part of jrob's early exit from the nfl?

I wouldn't doubt it, but the NFL also has the luxury of picking up a free agent at anytime that can do specific assignments that the team needs done.

Again if they struggle with the pass pro then yes they need work on it, but the coaching staff has to adjust. They adjusted the offense to Russell, now they need to make a couple adjustments on certain plays.

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 05:04 PM

336 att -952 yards

Barry had 3,062 carries; so if above stat is true, Barry had more positive carries than negative assuming he didn't have more than 1,195 carries for no gain.

I suspected something along these lines. I like Mr. Lambert. He don't say much, comes on here to grumble a couple of sentences when he thinks we're ALL 17'd up, then say 17 y'all and goes away for a while LOL.

Really Clark?
09-09-2016, 05:07 PM
I'll believe this when I see it. Aeris had one bad play last year due to a great play made by a great player in Myles Garrett, the potential #1 draft pick in this years draft.

People bitched all summer about our OL, but Lee & Aeris had no problems running behind them last year.

Mullen's biggest weakness is he's clueless on how to use a RB. Clueless. The best RB he's had got him to #1 in Josh Robinson. On campus 4 years and got 10 good games out of him.

Limited sample but Lee was poor running in conference games behind that line

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Haha either way Holloway and Dieon/Barry Sanders don't belong in the same sentence

the59dawg
09-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Well after 4 pg of did/didn't, no one but one gave a shot at answering the original thread ? Was there a revolt in the RB mtg rm?

BoomBoom
09-09-2016, 05:56 PM

336 att -952 yards

he also had a horrible OL most of the time. he usually had to break two tackles just to gain positive yards.

Goldendawg
09-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Looking at the Official program I bought last week. PAGE 27, John Hevesy - Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Game/Offensive Line. Now what is it that this thread is wondering about????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

munk_munk92
09-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Thats what pisses a lot of folks off. In that game, both teams had freshmen playing all over the field. On ******* team, they wouldn't see the field until they are juniors or seniors no matter how good they are. And i believe that effects recruiting as much as anything. Heck, Dak wouldn't have seen the field if it wasn't for Russell getting injured. DAN PLAY THE GUYS WITH THE MOST TALENT. If they mess up, its a learning experience. I can live with that.

Really Clark?
09-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Thats what pisses a lot of folks off. In that game, both teams had freshmen playing all over the field. On ******* team, they wouldn't see the field until they are juniors or seniors no matter how good they are. And i believe that effects recruiting as much as anything. Heck, Dak wouldn't have seen the field if it wasn't for Russell getting injured. DAN PLAY THE GUYS WITH THE MOST TALENT. If they mess up, its a learning experience. I can live with that.

Really? Nobody sees the field until their Jr or Sr year under Mullen? Exaggerating a good bit

msstate7
09-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Really? Nobody sees the field until their Jr or Sr year under Mullen? Exaggerating a good bit

Group think has replaced reality

RougeDawg
09-09-2016, 10:47 PM
Looking at the Official program I bought last week. PAGE 27, John Hevesy - Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Game/Offensive Line. Now what is it that this thread is wondering about????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

Was about to post a joke about Hevesy being the RB coach and that's the reason it's such a huge clusterf*ck.

BayouDawg
09-09-2016, 11:08 PM
I really wish we'd reassign Hev to water boy coordinator and director of towel cleanliness. He'd probably find a way to screw that up too though

msstate7
09-09-2016, 11:11 PM
I really wish we'd reassign Hev to water boy coordinator and director of towel cleanliness. He'd probably find a way to screw that up too though

Maybe Dan could move him to a cushy office job. Keep his friend around, but off the field

BayouDawg
09-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Maybe Dan could move him to a cushy office job. Keep his friend around, but off the field

That would be the best solution. Or maybe we could dupe some low level school to hire him as head coach.