PDA

View Full Version : Why Mullen will struggle to exceed 7 games won/year ...

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 06:54 AM
In SEC W and now with having to schedule a Power 5 opponent as 1 of the OOC games. I want Mullen to be successful and pull for him. But it is getting harder for me to do that and here is why:

1) Recruiting - I noticed way before this year that our Offers/Targets list is always very short compared to others and contains very few 4 and 5* players on it.
2) Game Management - I believe he is one of, if not the, worst clock managers I've ever watched coach a game.
3) Special Teams Play - Shanked punts, missed FGs, no punt returns for much yardage. I personally don't understand why it's like this every year. Especially in pressure situations. It's sorta like Stans and FT shooting. We'd have very good to great 3 point shooters that would shoot 75% or less from the FT line. On the flip side, Coach K at Duke can take someone off the street and turn them into an 80% or greater FT shooter.
4) Big game preparation (ala Stans). When Mullen plays certain schools or coaches like Saban, Miles, Sumlin, & Freeze, the team is wound up tighter than a top. They play so uptight in all those games. He used to wax OM. I believe he should've won at least 1 of the last 2 and probably both of the last 2 games against them - regardless of the cheating going on up there. Now we don't just lose to them ... we don't even show up to play.
5) Defensive Coordinator/Staff turnover. It do piss me off how much he's in the D Coordinators shorts and how he throws them under the bus like he does. Especially when I can predict a very high percentage of plays before the ball is snapped on the O side of the ball.
6) His allegiance to playing upperclassmen, especially on the O side of the ball. I like those kids too and they may work ultra hard. But if they ain't getting it done, something else needs to be tried. That's why there are usually 85 scholarship players on the roster. Not all of them turn out to be good to great players.
7) The very predictable play calling (especially in the Red Zone). I mean, how many QB draws can you run inside the 10 yd line in a game with Dak?? C'mon mane! And will that EVER really work against Bama???? Hell, no! Can his brilliant offensive mind not devise some ultra-creative plays to get the ball into the damn end zone?

All this while never taking responsibility, deflecting blame, and/or making lame excuses for it -- And throwing D coordinators under the bus. Watch a Saban press conference. He may get pissed at a reporter but he will almost always say the buck stops with him. He takes the blame.

If any of these were improving I would hold out hope. Thought maybe he had turned the corner in 2014, but I was mistaken. He doesn't really identify or address his deficiencies which means ... he isn't trying to "get better" himself.

msbulldog
09-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Yep, to all that.

JETDAWG
09-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Agreed sir, saw where we had a de-commit last night from a kid, may not be the last if we keep laying eggs.

MadDawg
09-09-2016, 11:18 AM
In SEC W and now with having to schedule a Power 5 opponent as 1 of the OOC games. I want Mullen to be successful and pull for him. But it is getting harder for me to do that and here is why:

1) Recruiting - I noticed way before this year that our Offers/Targets list is always very short compared to others and contains very few 4 and 5* players on it.
2) Game Management - I believe he is one of, if not the, worst clock managers I've ever watched coach a game.
3) Special Teams Play - Shanked punts, missed FGs, no punt returns for much yardage. I personally don't understand why it's like this every year. Especially in pressure situations. It's sorta like Stans and FT shooting. We'd have very good to great 3 point shooters that would shoot 75% or less from the FT line. On the flip side, Coach K at Duke can take someone off the street and turn them into an 80% or greater FT shooter.
4) Big game preparation (ala Stans). When Mullen plays certain schools or coaches like Saban, Miles, Sumlin, & Freeze, the team is wound up tighter than a top. They play so uptight in all those games. He used to wax OM. I believe he should've won at least 1 of the last 2 and probably both of the last 2 games against them - regardless of the cheating going on up there. Now we don't just lose to them ... we don't even show up to play.
5) Defensive Coordinator/Staff turnover. It do piss me off how much he's in the D Coordinators shorts and how he throws them under the bus like he does. Especially when I can predict a very high percentage of plays before the ball is snapped on the O side of the ball.
6) His allegiance to playing upperclassmen, especially on the O side of the ball. I like those kids too and they may work ultra hard. But if they ain't getting it done, something else needs to be tried. That's why there are usually 85 scholarship players on the roster. Not all of them turn out to be good to great players.
7) The very predictable play calling (especially in the Red Zone). I mean, how many QB draws can you run inside the 10 yd line in a game with Dak?? C'mon mane! And will that EVER really work against Bama???? Hell, no! Can his brilliant offensive mind not devise some ultra-creative plays to get the ball into the damn end zone?

All this while never taking responsibility, deflecting blame, and/or making lame excuses for it -- And throwing D coordinators under the bus. Watch a Saban press conference. He may get pissed at a reporter but he will almost always say the buck stops with him. He takes the blame.

If any of these were improving I would hold out hope. Thought maybe he had turned the corner in 2014, but I was mistaken. He doesn't really identify or address his deficiencies which means ... he isn't trying to "get better" himself.

Some good points. Some total bullshit points. Glad that you claim to want Mullen to be successful. Troubling that you are finding pulling for Mullen and MSU to be successful is becoming hard for you to do.

GTHOM
09-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Amen. Dont see how anyone could argue otherwise.

dawgday166
09-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Some good points. Some total bullshit points. Glad that you claim to want Mullen to be successful. Troubling that you are finding pulling for Mullen and MSU to be successful is becoming hard for you to do.

Let me re-phrase. I'm having a hard time believing he will make the necessary adjustments. I'm pulling for him and MSU. But I have given up believing he will work to improve what he's doing.

ETA: Not only will he not improve, he will flip off anyone who suggests he might want to consider improving some things.