PDA

View Full Version : Your concerns

Dawgfan77
09-08-2016, 09:08 PM
I understand some of your concerns about Loafer's making the next hire. Rest easy other powers are at work here. You only get one RR and keep your job

I would love for us to turn it around but it's gonna be a long year. If we do turn it around great Mullen earned his 4 million, if he doesn't we will make a good hire. We are no longer po o mithippi state. We may not be a destination job but we damn sure can win and we damn sure can hire a great coach. News flash don't let future failures dictate future success. Mullen didn't invent football

MSUDawg99
09-08-2016, 09:10 PM
I understand some of your concerns about Loafer's making the next hire. Rest easy other powers are at work here. You only get one RR and keep your job

I would love for us to turn it around but it's gonna be a long year. If we do turn it around great Mullen earned his 4 million, if he doesn't we will make a good hire. We are no longer po o mithippi state. We may not be a destination job but we damn sure can win and we damn sure can hire a great coach. News flash don't let future failures dictate future success. Mullen didn't invent football

Does he know that?

Dawgfan77
09-08-2016, 09:13 PM
[/B]

Does he know that?
Question, if he was a such a great coach and a hot commodity and knowing he wants out. Why is he still here. Ask your self that

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 09:20 PM
A poster on another board spewed out a loooonnnnng post about Mullen's accomplishments and how no one had ever done that at MSU before. Before 2006 it was an 11 game schedule. So, taking out bowl games and 1 weak OOC opponent each year, here is Mullen's record (which is ok but not a world beater):

5-6 (we lost to Houston this year, but I took that game out)
7-4
5-6
7-4
5-6
9-2
7-4.

Dawgfan77
09-08-2016, 09:21 PM
A poster on another board spewed out a loooonnnnng post about Mullen's accomplishments and how no one had ever done that at MSU before. Before 2006 it was an 11 game schedule. So, taking out bowl games and 1 weak OOC opponent each year, here is Mullen's record (which is ok but not a world beater):

7-4
5-6
7-4
5-6
9-2
7-4.

So...your saying he is average???
I would take my chances rebuilding with a new coach than rebuild with compliancy
In sales your either getting better or worse nothing stays the same. What are we doing in year 8, I will tell you. We lost to USA

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 09:26 PM
So...your saying he is average???

Averages 6 wins a year with an 11 game schedule and without Dak ... that's with 3 cupcake OOC games. Gotta play a power 5 team now. So that automatic 4 wins a year with the 12 game schedule just got tougher (not counting USA). Notice that we were 2 wins each year better with Dak than the norm for the even/odd years.

ETA: I'd say he's pretty consistent at least.

Liverpooldawg
09-08-2016, 09:37 PM

7-4
5-6
7-4
5-6
9-2
7-4.

Which is STILL above average for MSU. Y'all do know that Mullen is seen as something of a miracle worker for what he has done here, everywhere BUT here. Don't count on that great hire y'all all think is possible.

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Which is STILL above average for MSU. Y'all do know that Mullen is seen as something of a miracle worker for what he has done here, everywhere BUT here. Don't count on that great hire y'all all think is possible.

I know it is above average ... but about the same as Jackie's. Are you just wanting to shoot for average? And you'll never get above average with such a short offer list each year.

msstate7
09-08-2016, 09:46 PM
I know it is above average ... but about the same as Jackie's. Are you just wanting to shoot for average? And you'll never get above average with such a short offer list each year.

Jackie and Mullen have been the best we've had... Hoe are they average in terms of miss state?

Liverpooldawg
09-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Jackie and Mullen have been the best we've had... Hoe are they average in terms of miss state?

That's what many don't get. When it comes to building a program the BIGGEST competition is with your history. The trick is to beat your history over a sustained time.

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 09:52 PM

They're not. Folks like to keep saying 19 over 2. In 11 game schedule that ain't so and Mullen misses bowl 3 times. Just saying.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 10:00 PM

7-4
5-6
7-4
5-6
9-2
7-4.

Did that post factor in the SOS between the two times? The SEC for a good portion of Dan's time, especially the first 4-5 years were historically the strongest division in college football history. You have had 4 national title champions come from this division in 7 years and in one of those years the runner up also was in this division. How many were during JWS time? I just think it's not an equal comparison between the time periods to just go strickly by wins and losses.

msstate7
09-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Did that post factor in the SOS between the two times? The SEC for a good portion of Dan's time, especially the first 4-5 years were historically the strongest division in college football history. You have had 4 national title champions come from this division in 7 years and in one of those years the runner up also was in this division. How many were during JWS time? I just think it's not an equal comparison between the time periods to just go strickly by wins and losses.

The runner up was from the sec west 2 times... Lsu and auburn. The only time an sec west wasn't the runner up or champ was bama (playoffs 2 years ago) and they lost to the champs

ILOATHEBears
09-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Question, if he was a such a great coach and a hot commodity and knowing he wants out. Why is he still here. Ask your self that

On paper what he has done at MSU with no rich history of success he is a desirable candidate, UNTIL he sits across from the interviewers and he is known as brash, arrogant, hard to work with and hit just rubs people the wrong way. It's that he did invent modern football mentality that rubs. However I just wish he would invent some new offense so we can tote the damn rock, spread it out and get our play makers the ball

Commercecomet24
09-08-2016, 10:04 PM

I ran the figures on SOS for Dan and Jackie. Dan average SOS is 24. Jackie is 49.

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 10:07 PM

I agree. I just want Dan to start winning some again the trio of Miles, Sumlin, & Freeze. And it'd be nice if there were a longer Targets list each year.

ETA: And not lose to anyone like USA.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 10:09 PM
The runner up was from the sec west 2 times... Lsu and auburn. The only time an sec west wasn't the runner up or champ was bama (playoffs 2 years ago) and they lost to the champs

That's right forgot Auburn 2013

BayouDawg
09-08-2016, 10:12 PM

I will agree the East was the power throughout Jackie's tenure. I think 4 Sec teams won nattys during his time. 2 from the east and 2 from the west. Bama, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU. Jackie was better at winning the big games. Mullen (until Saturday) was always gonna win the chip shots and have a cycle year where he could compete with the big boys.

Liverpooldawg
09-08-2016, 10:12 PM

You shoot for above average for YOU. If you do that overtime it takes care of itself. If you ditch that to shoot for the moon you usually regress.

Liverpooldawg
09-08-2016, 10:14 PM
I will agree the East was the power throughout Jackie's tenure. I think 4 Sec teams won nattys during his time. 2 from the east and 2 from the west. Bama, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU. Jackie was better at winning the big games. Mullen (until Saturday) was always gonna win the chip shots and have a cycle year where he could compete with the big boys.

Which big games? I'm talking about the standard that Mullen is now held to, teams that wound up ranked high.

Todd4State
09-08-2016, 10:21 PM
[/B]

Does he know that?

Hell no.

Todd4State
09-08-2016, 10:23 PM
That's what many don't get. When it comes to building a program the BIGGEST competition is with your history. The trick is to beat your history over a sustained time.

Your problem is you try to go back to 1940 which isn't even relevant when looking at a program's history. You must think Fordham really ****ed up at some point.

BayouDawg
09-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Which big games? I'm talking about the standard that Mullen is now held to, teams that wound up ranked high.

Beating Texas 2 years in a row. Beating Bama in '96, beating florida in '92 and 2000, beating #8 Arky to eventually clinch the west, beating ole miss to clinch the west. For every big game JWS Won he also had a stinker. I was just saying they are different in that JWS could get up and knock off a giant and then the next week lose to a Kentucky or crappy LSU. Mullen usually takes care of business against teams he should beat and struggles against the big boys. He had the great 3 game stretch in '14 but besides that his track record isn't great against ranked teams.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 10:58 PM
Beating Texas 2 years in a row. Beating Bama in '96, beating florida in '92 and 2000, beating #8 Arky to eventually clinch the west, beating ole miss to clinch the west. For every big game JWS Won he also had a stinker. I was just saying they are different in that JWS could get up and knock off a giant and then the next week lose to a Kentucky or crappy LSU. Mullen usually takes care of business against teams he should beat and struggles against the big boys. He had the great 3 game stretch in '14 but besides that his track record isn't great against ranked teams.

The two Texas teams were 5-6 and 6-5. The 92 Florida team was 9-4. Arkansas in 1998 was 9-3. Some very good wins but Texas was a weak name.

BayouDawg
09-08-2016, 11:14 PM
The two Texas teams were 5-6 and 6-5. The 92 Florida team was 9-4. Arkansas in 1998 was 9-3. Some very good wins but Texas was a weak name.

This is true. The point I was making was that they are different. Jackie could beat Bama one week and lose to Northwestern State the next. It's who he was. The year we won the west we lost to I think a 4 win LSU team and a 4 win OK State team. Mullen until Saturday was always gonna take care of business against the teams he should beat but struggle against the big boys. And I was ok with that. I'm ok with having 6-6 7-5 years and having a cycle year or 2 where we win 9-10 games and be a dark horse in the west. I just worry hay this isn't the same Mullen. Only time will tell

Commercecomet24
09-08-2016, 11:22 PM
This is true. The point I was making was that they are different. Jackie could beat Bama one week and lose to Northwestern State the next. It's who he was. The year we won the west we lost to I think a 4 win LSU team and a 4 win OK State team. Mullen until Saturday was always gonna take care of business against the teams he should beat but struggle against the big boys. And I was ok with that. I'm ok with having 6-6 7-5 years and having a cycle year or 2 where we win 9-10 games and be a dark horse in the west. I just worry hay this isn't the same Mullen. Only time will tell

I love Jackie but it was dumbfounding the losses he had sometimes. Directional Louisiana, Memphis, Tulane, an 0-6 usce team that almost shut us out,21-6 and some others that were just inexplicable. Seems like he had one of these USA games just about every year but then would pull one out of his butt that we weren't supposed to win. It really was strange and hard to figure.

BayouDawg
09-08-2016, 11:42 PM
I love Jackie but it was dumbfounding the losses he had sometimes. Directional Louisiana, Memphis, Tulane, an 0-6 usce team that almost shut us out,21-6 and some others that were just inexplicable. Seems like he had one of these USA games just about every year but then would pull one out of his butt that we weren't supposed to win. It really was strange and hard to figure.

Oh I know man. That was just Jackie. He did the same things at A&M too. That and his choice of quarterbacks always left me scratching my head. But he gave us one Hell of a ride. I hated he crashed and burned at the end. I really did

Commercecomet24
09-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Oh I know man. That was just Jackie. He did the same things at A&M too. That and his choice of quarterbacks always left me scratching my head. But he gave us one Hell of a ride. I hated he crashed and burned at the end. I really did

He sure did! It was so depressing the way it ended. Almost like watching a car wreck in slow motion. Jackie deserved a better ending. I'll never forget what Jackie did for us. He took poor ole state and gave the middle finger to the rest of the sec and showed us we could be relevant in football. I'll be forever grateful for what he did even with those unexplainable losses. I'll never forget that feeling when hazelwood lined up to kick that winning fg against arky to give us the west. Me and my 4 year old son were sitting about row 12 on the 10 yard line and it happened right in front of us. I've still got sod we dug up from the south end zone after that game!

Hail The Kang!

BayouDawg
09-09-2016, 12:07 AM
He sure did! It was so depressing the way it ended. Almost like watching a car wreck in slow motion. Jackie deserved a better ending. I'll never forget what Jackie did for us. He took poor ole state and gave the middle finger to the rest of the sec and showed us we could be relevant in football. I'll be forever grateful for what he did even with those unexplainable losses. I'll never forget that feeling when hazelwood lined up to kick that winning fg against arky to give us the west. Me and my 4 year old son were sitting about row 12 on the 10 yard line and it happened right in front of us. I've still got sod we dug up from the south end zone after that game!

Hail The Kang!

I was 7 and me and dad listened to it on the radio as we were skinning my first deer. We had tickets but skipped it for hunting. I still hate that we missed it.

Political Hack
09-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Mullen isn't being paid $4.5 million to be the best State has ever had. He's the highest paid coach we've ever had. He'd damn well better be the best ever. He's being paid $4.5 million to have us in a hunt to compete for championships come November and December. He's done that once in 8 years and we seem to be trending down.

He'll have all year to get it corrected, but it better get corrected.

Op4isabitch
09-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Another thing, MSU is a better job now than it was when Dan was hired. Due in large part to the SEC/ESPN money.

Probably sit about where we did within conference as far as facilities go but nationally we have passed up a lot of programs that use to be on par with us.

MSU can be a winner, look at the energy and environment that surrounded our brief stay at #1.

Chris Low said DWS was the most electric football environment he had ever been in and Stewart Mandel said it was the loudest game he had ever attended from start to finish!!

Guys if we harnessed our collective fan base we can be a heck of a force at MSU, fact is we aren't poor old State anymore.

MSUDawg99
09-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Because he's not. He's a decent but stubborn, arrogant coach who "thinks he invented football" (according to the former players in Miami that interviewed him on the first go round, not this recent one) & would rather stick with his way than change to a plan that works. PLAY THE BEST DAMN 11 GUYS ON THE FIELD AT A TIME. Screw seniority. You EARN playing time. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

msstate7
09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Another thing, MSU is a better job now than it was when Dan was hired. Due in large part to the SEC/ESPN money.

Probably sit about where we did within conference as far as facilities go but nationally we have passed up a lot of programs that use to be on par with us.

MSU can be a winner, look at the energy and environment that surrounded our brief stay at #1.

Chris Low said DWS was the most electric football environment he had ever been in and Stewart Mandel said it was the loudest game he had ever attended from start to finish!!

Guys if we harnessed our collective fan base we can be a heck of a force at MSU, fact is we aren't poor old State anymore.

South Carolina gets sec money and has every bit the fan support we have. They ended up hiring at least their 4th choice behind Herman, Fuente, and rich rod. South Carolina is also on the east side of the sec. Coaches aren't just gonna flock to us bc we're an sec team

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Mullen isn't being paid $4.5 million to be the best State has ever had. He's the highest paid coach we've ever had. He'd damn well better be the best ever. He's being paid $4.5 million to have us in a hunt to compete for championships come November and December. He's done that once in 8 years and we seem to be trending down.

He'll have all year to get it corrected, but it better get corrected.

You pay people for future production, not past production.

We don't owe Mullen a damn thing & honestly he doesn't owe us a damn thing. He receives his paycheck every two weeks & makes 4+ mil per year to win football games.

It really sucks that the most successful MSU coach in history lost interest in the program, but the relationship is built on projected future production, not the other way around.

You don't fire Mullen for his record this year. You fire him if you think the future with another coach is brighter than the future with him.

Dawgfan77
09-09-2016, 10:05 AM
South Carolina gets sec money and has every bit the fan support we have. They ended up hiring at least their 4th choice behind Herman, Fuente, and rich rod. South Carolina is also on the east side of the sec. Coaches aren't just gonna flock to us bc we're an sec team
They also have an inept ad who was a hella better baseball coach than AD. SC could have hired Fleck, Brohm, Frost , Wells, Montgomery, or any other HC at a non power five yet they hired Boom.

Op4isabitch
09-09-2016, 10:13 AM

Of course they won't but they will come here because we pay a top 20 salary. There are plenty of young coaches with good resumes and proven early success that will come to MSU and show a desire to improve their status.

We aren't STUCK with Dan, if we decide to part ways there will be viable options to replace him, all good things come to an end and it's our AD's job to decide when that time is and have a list of potential replacements in order.

Really Clark?
09-09-2016, 10:57 AM
They also have an inept ad who was a hella better baseball coach than AD. SC could have hired Fleck, Brohm, Frost , Wells, Montgomery, or any other HC at a non power five yet they hired Boom.

No they couldn't have. Brohm turned them down to even interview. Fleck wasn't interested. Montgomery had just one year at Tulsa and was 6-7. Would you really hire a losing coach at Tulsa with just one year experience? They thought they had Rich Rod and he changes his mind flying out of town.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2016, 11:03 AM
No they couldn't have. Brohm turned them down to even interview. Fleck wasn't interested. Montgomery had just one year at Tulsa and was 6-7. Would you really hire a losing coach at Tulsa with just one year experience? They thought they had Rich Rod and he changes his mind flying out of town.

Exactly! People throw stuff out there like you can just go hey come coach here i'll pay you this and they just magically agree. It's just like on MLB message boards. Fans always say stuff like, our GM is an idiot we could trade player a,b or c for player d and it just magically happens. Not that simple. I have a good friend who's son-in-law is Lance Anderson, the defensive coordinator at Stanford. He's been offered jobs in the SEC and at Michigan when Harbaugh was hired that pay more but he's turned them down because he told me at Stanford fans don't want to run you out of town when you lose a game. He told me its to cut throat in the SEC and Big10.

GTHOM
09-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Lets build a statue for him then, but make sure he's on the phone with his agent trying to leave. And he has to be in shorts

HancockCountyDog
09-09-2016, 12:41 PM
If SC can fire Spurrier after he went 9-5, 11-2, 11-2, 11-2 and 7-6, then we damn sure could fire Mullen if he throws up a 4-8 season.

SC did the right thing, they saw the writing on the wall, the in state school had passed them by, his fire for recruiting had dwindled, and it was time to go.

Really Clark?
09-09-2016, 12:47 PM
If SC can fire Spurrier after he went 9-5, 11-2, 11-2, 11-2 and 7-6, then we damn sure could fire Mullen if he throws up a 4-8 season.

SC did the right thing, they saw the writing on the wall, the in state school had passed them by, his fire for recruiting had dwindled, and it was time to go.

Technically he "resigned" when they were 2-4 after the 7-6 season. Half way in the season they had a different picture than the end of the prior season, but I understand where you are coming from.

SailingDawg
09-09-2016, 12:49 PM
We are no longer po o mithippi state.

Every time you use that phrase you lose legitimacy. You're only mocking yourself when you refuse to accept reality.

It's not that we're poor, old Mississippi State, it's where we are as a university: budgetary (athletic and scholarly), student population, alumni population, host city population, state population and image, etc. We may compete with LSU and Alabama once every 10-20 years, but we will never do so on a consistent basis.

Basketball and baseball have proven to be competitive sports at smaller schools because they don't depend on the same budgetary requirements.