PDA

View Full Version : General Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2016, 06:23 PM
- according to Robbie Faulk, Finebaum reached out to Mullen to come on the show and he declined. Wonder why?

1. Embarrassed and humiliated?
2. Protesting Paul's support of Freeze?
3. Wants to let the team do the talking, not him?
4. Was it smart for Mullen to decline or not?

Things I want to see Saturday night

1. Urgency and desperation

2. Physicality on both sides of the ball

3. Fitz as the QB and for him to get hit really hard early in the game. I think one of the big turning points in the FSU game was when Francios got wiped out before half time on the TD pass. Thought it helped him settle down, relieved nerves, put him in survival mode, and let him just play. Fitz looked nervous last weekend and many QBs say getting hit early in the actually helps you.

4. I want to see a bell cow at RB emerge. Don't really care who it is, so long as it's not Holloway or Shump.

5. Want to see Fitz throw an interception on a deep ball. If you look at our pass/INT ratio over the past year and one game, it's clear that our passing game has become check down Charlie and entirely too conservative. You certainly want to limit interceptions, but the complete absence of them probably means your leaving your putts short and not challenging the defense in uncomfortable ways. I want to see more risk in the passing game. Tough to hit a HR when your scared of striking out.

6. Want to see a packed house. Entirely too early to mail it in fans.

7. Want to see an identity that will carry us for the next three years begin to emerge. I want a tipping point.

8. want to see leadership emerge. Dak is gone and the vacuum must be filled. This isn't something Dan can force. True leadership emerges organically and through trials.

TrapGame
09-08-2016, 06:27 PM
I want to say this goes into the whole "things are different this week" meme we've heard from Paul and Steve. I actually think Dan looked at this as a distraction.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 06:35 PM
To your point 5, we were third in the league last year in yards per attempt (conference only games), 3rd in the league in pass plays over 15 yards and second in the league in pass plays over 25 yards. By the end of the season we didn't check down near what that catch phrase insinuated. In fact ended up pretty pushing it down the field a lot more than given credit for.

Op4isabitch
09-08-2016, 06:37 PM
1.yes
2.yes
3.yes
4.yes

1.yes
2.yes
3.yes but not wipped out.
4.yes
5.no
6.yes
7.yes
8.yes

shoeless joe
09-08-2016, 06:41 PM
I want to see us run the relf/Ballard offense with fitz/aeris. Which will open the passing game...think about how many wide open receivers relf used to under throw on moderate to deep passes. And our WR Corp is way ahead of where we were then.

Remember in '10 against auburn when we actually ran the wishbone style option for a series, and moved the ball, until the snap was fumbled and we've never seen that again.

That's what I want to see. Something to show me that Mullen still has that offensive imagination edge that he obviously once had.

And I'd like to see us create complete havoc on D.

lamont
09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Mullen is humiliated and doesnt want to face the tough questions

WinningIsRelentless
09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
I want to see Fitz tuck the ball and truck someone. That will open the offense more than anything

msbulldog
09-08-2016, 06:44 PM
- according to Robbie Faulk, Finebaum reached out to Mullen to come on the show and he declined. Wonder why?

3. Fitz as the QB and for him to get hit really hard early in the game. I think one of the big turning points in the FSU game was when Francios got wiped out before half time on the TD pass. Thought it helped him settle down, relieved nerves, put him in survival mode, and let him just play. Fitz looked nervous last weekend and many QBs say getting hit early in the actually helps you.

4. I want to see a bell cow at RB emerge. Don't really care who it is, so long as it's not Holloway or Shump.

5. Want to see Fitz throw an interception on a deep ball. If you look at our pass/INT ratio over the past year and one game, it's clear that our passing game has become check down Charlie and entirely too conservative. You certainly want to limit interceptions, but the complete absence of them probably means your leaving your putts short and not challenging the defense in uncomfortable ways. I want to see more risk in the passing game. Tough to hit a HR when your scared of striking out.

7. Want to see an identity that will carry us for the next three years begin to emerge. I want a tipping point.

8. want to see leadership emerge. Dak is gone and the vacuum must be filled. This isn't something Dan can force. True leadership emerges organically and through trials.

1. Embarrassed and humiliated? Probably not.
2. Protesting Paul's support of Freeze? Probably not.
3. Wants to let the team do the talking, not him? Hope so wise.
4. Was it smart for Mullen to decline or not? Very smart.

Agree!
I think it will happen.

Probably do him some good with the supposed teams attitude toward him, if he get's off his ass and calls them right back into the huddle!

5. Want to see Fitz throw an interception on a deep ball. If you look at our pass/INT ratio over the past year and one game, it's clear that our passing game has become check down Charlie and entirely too conservative. You certainly want to limit interceptions, but the complete absence of them probably means your leaving your putts short and not challenging the defense in uncomfortable ways. I want to see more risk in the passing game.

If he get's enough plays, he will try a deep one rest assured, hate interceptions though.

6. Too early to mail it in.
HAIL STATE!
Never, ever mail it in.

I want to salvage this season.

I think from all the quotes that I have read this week we are about to find upperclassmen leadership.

Good post Gun.

Spiderman
09-08-2016, 06:49 PM

You want to see a "bell cow" as long as it's not certain players?

You want to see Fitz throw an interception?

Uhhh... ok

maroonmania
09-08-2016, 06:55 PM
You want to see a "bell cow" as long as it's not certain players?

You want to see Fitz throw an interception?

Uhhh... ok

I just want to see some freakin' production from the RB position running the ball. I don't care if we move Jamal Peters to RB is he can produce.

DanDority
09-08-2016, 06:58 PM
I just don't want to care as much as I do!

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2016, 07:03 PM
To quote one of the great coaches - "You play to win the game." That's what I want to see. Agressive on both sides of the ball, controlling the tempo and flow of the game. Balls to the wall. We have nothing to lose, play like it.

Treemydawg
09-08-2016, 07:10 PM
To quote one of the great coaches - "You play to win the game." That's what I want to see. Agressive on both sides of the ball, controlling the tempo and flow of the game. Balls to the wall. We have nothing to lose, play like it.
Exactly. Play like your life depends on the outcome of the game. Play every snap 100%. Mullen also needs to coach and have the intensity he once had like his lively hood depended on the outcome of the game.

msbulldog
09-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Exactly. Play like your life depends on the outcome of the game. Play every snap 100%. Mullen also needs to coach and have the intensity he once had like his lively hood depended on the outcome of the game.

It might!

Bothrops
09-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I doubt Mullen has much for Finebaum. Personally, I think the Finebaum is a total dumbshit, and a little bitch. I would probably decline an interview, too, because I might get real nasty and ugly.

msbulldog
09-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I doubt Mullen has much for Finebaum. Personally, I think the Finebaum is a total dumbshit, and a little bitch. I would probably decline an interview, too, because I might get real nasty and ugly.

Yeah, I could probably teach him some word that aren't in his vast vocabulary.

Liverpooldawg
09-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Why ANY coach would go on Finebaum is beyond me. Good for Dan.

As for your others:
1: YES
2: YES
3: I was sitting where I had a real good look at Fitz. I watched him and him only while he was in. Let me preface this by saying he was hands down the one I wantedto start. What I saw scared me. He looked like a deer in the headlights. He bobbled almost every snap. When he got it he hesitated, then moved. He missed a wide open read. He didn't look like starting QB, much less one in the SEC. Another qualifier, that doesn't mean I thought Williams looked that great either. I just want to see a competent QB, I don't care who it is.
4: Same as with the QB, I just want to see what you described, I don't give a rip who it is.
5: I want to see a passing game that moves the ball. Deep or otherwise.
6: YES! YES! YES!
7: I'd settle for one that will carry us to 6-6 this year.
8: YES! YES! YES!

Overall.........I agree with you. That's down right scary. Good post.

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 07:35 PM
I want to see Fitz tuck the ball and truck someone. That will open the offense more than anything

I wanna see a RB do that. Maybe 2 of them. I don't care if it is Shump and Hollaway, I just want to see it.

shoeless joe
09-08-2016, 07:38 PM
I wanna see a RB do that. Maybe 2 of them. I don't care if it is Shump and Hollaway, I just want to see it.

We had one do it on about the 5 yard line and carry him to about the 2 rite before our first TD Saturday. Unfortunately he only got one more carry the rest of the game.

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 08:02 PM
We had one do it on about the 5 yard line and carry him to about the 2 rite before our first TD Saturday. Unfortunately he only got one more carry the rest of the game.

I believe you're right. Let me rephrase: I wanna see a RB(s) do that 15 - 20 times. I'll add something else: When SC has to crowd the line to stop that, I wanna see a QB sling it about 20 - 25 yds down the middle of the field and burn some DBs.

Liverpooldawg
09-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Bottom line: I want to see a win. At this point I don't care if it's ugly or how we do it. We NEED to win this game. I'll take it on a blown call by the refs in OT. We just need a win.

LC Dawg
09-08-2016, 08:26 PM
I wish Mullen had passed on some media interviews during the stretch run in 2014. I'll withhold judgement on this until I see how he acts Saturday but this screams too embarrassed to talk to me.

Goldendawg
09-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Can we also dispense with Dan's lame Journey song to begin the 4th quarter until we show we can beat someone with a pulse, 10 and 8 since our #1 ranking.

Todd4State
09-08-2016, 10:17 PM
I think it's a bad look for Dan to be skipping interviews. He needs to show some leadership. I remember reading about Winston Churchill and one of the MOST effective things he did was publically stand up to Hitler with his public speeches and then going out into the areas that were bombed out. The British rallied around that.

Dan needs to learn from Churchill. Or Saban after they lost to ULM. He confronted the issue head on and called it a catastrophe. But at least he let their fans know that was unacceptable and that he was going to do something about it.

I've seen this too many times from Dan. He ran his mouth about Ole Miss when he first got here. Then he loses to them and all of a sudden the countdown to the Egg Bowl clocks come down and all of this. We play Alabama and all of a sudden we clam up. 1A/1B is about as YMCA as college football is ever going to get. Dan is SOFT.

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Can we also dispense with Dan's lame Journey song to begin the 4th quarter until we show we can beat someone with a pulse, 10 and 8 since our #1 ranking.

I happen to like that song but ... not for a mean-ass SEC West football team. Of course we mostly ain't mean-ass.