PDA

View Full Version : Will going 12-0 get Houston in the Playoffs?

Jack Lambert
09-08-2016, 02:24 PM
The only other ranked team on schedule is Louisville.

messageboardsuperhero
09-08-2016, 02:31 PM
It should. They would deserve to be in.

Beaver
09-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Their schedule is really weak. Some of it will depend on how OU and Louisville do during the rest of the season. I think SEC, ACC, and B1G 10 each have a 1-loss or undefeated team that would get in over Houston. Pac-12 and Big 12 are more iffy. If I were Houston, I'd hope for those 2 conferences to beat each other up.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-08-2016, 02:44 PM
The only other ranked team on schedule is Louisville.

After that opening week win vs Oklahoma...most definitely. Especially if Oklahoma goes 9-3 or better.

TUSK
09-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Yes, if there aren't 4 other undefeated teams... They also will need both L'ville & Oklahoma to be impressive...

I think this would be the pecking order:
1) Undefeated SEC - Bammer?
2) Undefeated ACC - FSU/Clemson winner?
3) Undefeated B1G - Ohio State/Michigan winner?
4) Then, it gets tricky... Undefeated HOU/Pac Champ/Big 12 Champ, or a 1 loss SEC/ACC Team/Notre Dame.

jumbo
09-08-2016, 03:01 PM
100%

Bothrops
09-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Yes, without a doubt.

Engine
09-08-2016, 03:43 PM
It shouldn't. That schedule is a joke. Sorry, join a real conference.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 04:03 PM
It shouldn't. That schedule is a joke. Sorry, join a real conference.

Well they are trying to get in the Big 12. Now I'm not sold that they should be in until we see how it all shakes out. Lot of things will happen by the end of the season. But how can a school join a bigger conference if they are not invited? Boise has been trying for years. It took a while for TCU to get in and that's only because the Big 12 was bleeding founding schools. I just always found that an odd statement to make. Has a school ever turned down a bigger conference when they were invited to join? At least in the last 50 years?

Engine
09-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Well they are trying to get in the Big 12. Now I'm not sold that they should be in until we see how it all shakes out. Lot of things will happen by the end of the season. But how can a school join a bigger conference if they are not invited? Boise has been trying for years. It took a while for TCU to get in and that's only because the Big 12 was bleeding founding schools. I just always found that an odd statement to make. Has a school ever turned down a bigger conference when they were invited to join? At least in the last 50 years?

So they caught Oklahoma on their down week.. So what. If you play in a big conference you HAVE TO win multiple games against top tier teams to get in. Likely they won't all be on down weeks.

missouridawg
09-08-2016, 05:10 PM
12-0 beating OU and Lousiville will be enough.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 05:16 PM
So they caught Oklahoma on their down week.. So what. If you play in a big conference you HAVE TO win multiple games against top tier teams to get in. Likely they won't all be on down weeks.

And what did my post have to do with any of that? You said their schedule was weak, join a real conference. Not debating the weakness of their schedule but not a whole lot they can do UNTIL they are invited to join a stronger conference. Until that time, all they can do is play who will play them OOC. 2 of their 4 out of conference are good teams this year.

And again until the season plays out they may not get in even if they are undefeated. But beating FSU very bad in the bowl and then beating Oklahoma to open the season will carry weight with pollsters. Right or wrong.

Engine
09-08-2016, 05:20 PM
And what did my post have to do with any of that? You said their schedule was weak, join a real conference. Not debating the weakness of their schedule but not a whole lot they can do UNTIL they are invited to join a stronger conference. Until that time, all they can do is play who will play them OOC. 2 of their 4 out of conference are good teams this year.

Nobody is forcing them to play Lamar and Texas State. When you play in that conference you have to beef up all OOC games.

RocketDawg
09-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Tulane went undefeated several years ago, and they wouldn't have made the playoffs had there been any then. I think they wound up ranked #11. I have no idea if they played any difficult games or not.

C222
09-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Nope.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Tulane went undefeated several years ago, and they wouldn't have made the playoffs had there been any then. I think they wound up ranked #11. I have no idea if they played any difficult games or not.

1998 Tommy Bowden's last year. They played a couple of bigger schools but no ranked teams. Beat BYU in the Liberty Bowl and finished 7th in the final polls. USM and Lousiville were the only teams with winning records they played in the regular season at 7-5. LA Tech was 6-6. BYU was the best team they played that year at 9-5.

Wet Dawg
09-08-2016, 06:27 PM
You obviously haven't seen them play. If they win out they deserve a chance.

lamont
09-08-2016, 07:01 PM
12-0 is 100% in with wins over Oklahoma and Louisville. Louisville will be a 9-10 game winner this year to bolster their resume

100%

somebodyshotmypaw
09-08-2016, 07:14 PM
12-0 is 100% in with wins over Oklahoma and Louisville. Louisville will be a 9-10 game winner this year to bolster their resume

100%

I don't think anything is 100%. If Bama, FSU, Ohio State, Houston, TCU, and Stanford all go undefeated, then 2 teams get left out. Houston might be one. Obviously the odds of that happening are almost zero, but it could happen. Especially if Houston has a bunch of 3 point wins over poor teams while the others blow the doors off folks.

C222
09-08-2016, 07:19 PM
They are going to need a lot of help. They won't get in over a 1 loss P5. For example, 1 loss FSU (loss to Clemson) or 1 loss Michigan (loss to Ohio St.). They lost 1 last year and were 18th in the final poll. They aren't getting in.

lamont
09-08-2016, 07:54 PM
They are going to need a lot of help. They won't get in over a 1 loss P5. For example, 1 loss FSU (loss to Clemson) or 1 loss Michigan (loss to Ohio St.). They lost 1 last year and were 18th in the final poll. They aren't getting in.

Depends on the P5. Houston gets in over a 1 loss Big 12, Pac 12, or Big Ten team