PDA

View Full Version : What seems kinda weird. Please don't freak out.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2016, 08:56 AM
In 2001 we had SC, BYU and Troy who is a member of the Sunbelt now on our schedule. Well the BYU game got moved due to 911 until December 1 and we lost to them. The first college football game after 911 was Miss State vs SC. We lost. We also lost to Troy who is a member of the Sun Belt now and we should have beaten them. We just came off a run of very good seasons ended up having a very bad year.

15 years later we again have SC, BYU and a current Sunbelt team and we just lost to them. We just come off a good run of good seasons.

There are a few words for that, "Deja vu", "Coincidence" and the English version "Oh ****".

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Coincidence yes, but it still just one football game.

It's absolutely unacceptable but I'd venture to say that all 14 SEC teams will lose a game similar to that in the next 8 years.

What do you think?

Jack Lambert
09-08-2016, 09:05 AM

It's absolutely unacceptable but I'd venture to say that all 14 SEC teams will lose a game similar to that in the next 8 years.

What do you think?

Every team has that oh shit game and this year was ours. Bama lost to Monroe a few yeas back. This game Saturday could be the biggest game in Dan's tenure. Even the Bama game two years ago was big but even though we lost we did not fall out of the top four. This games mean a lot for the season.

I hope the coaches and players looks at it that way.

Dawgfan77
09-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Bama lost to ULM in sabans first year not year 8!

confucius say
09-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Byu was at home in 2001. It's on the road this year. We good**

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-08-2016, 09:18 AM

What do you think?

You may think I'm crazy but there is a top-tier Sun-Belt team headed to Oxford in November in Georgia Southern and they have upset some big schools in the last few years. That game might be closer than alot of those fans want it to be.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-08-2016, 09:22 AM

^^^

So the highest-paid coach in FBS football (Saban at $4 million) losing to the lowest-paid one (Weatherbie at $130,000) as ULM got paid $1 million felt about right in 2007. The defeat was so embarrassing for Saban that a couple days later he invoked two of America’s greatest tragedies.
“Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event,” Saban said. “It may be 9/11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to a catastrophic event. Pearl Harbor got us ready for World War II, or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event. And I don’t think anyone in this room would have bet that we could lose back-to-back games to Mississippi State or ULM, no disrespect to either one of those teams.”

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2016, 09:22 AM
You may think I'm crazy but there is a top-tier Sun-Belt team headed to Oxford in November in Georgia Southern and they have upset some big schools in the last few years. That game might be closer than alot of those fans want it to be.

Again, not excusing what happened in anyway, but we've had a ton of close calls & most every team throws up a clunker like this once a decade.

let's regroup & pull this thing back together

HSVDawg
09-08-2016, 09:31 AM

What do you think?

Hard to say if that will be the case. In the past 8 years, the following has happened:
- We lost to USA
- Arkansas lost to Toledo
- OM lost to Jacksonville State
- Florida lost to Georgia Southern
- Vandy and UK have multiple bad OOC losses.

So that is basically only half of the SEC, and all but Florida were amongst the "have nots" within the league. I think it's a stretch to say that Alabama, LSU, etc are all going to have a loss as bad as the one we just had in the coming years.

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Hard to say if that will be the case. In the past 8 years, the following has happened:
- We lost to USA

So that is basically only half of the SEC, and all but Florida were amongst the "have nots" within the league. I think it's a stretch to say that Alabama, LSU, etc are all going to have a loss as bad as the one we just had in the coming years.

USCe lost to the Citadel in '15
Tenn. lost to Wyoming in '08
A&M lost to Arkansas St. in '08

Tbonewannabe
09-08-2016, 10:31 AM
The important thing is did we learn anything from the loss. If we come out and look exactly the same then this year is probably going to be rough. USCe at home this early when they have a new coach is probably the easiest game in the SEC we will have. If we don't win this one or we don't drastically improve in a close loss then this is going to be a long year.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Auburn had to go to OT to beat Jax St last year, 2012 beat ULM by 3 so they have had close calls as well.

2008 a 6-4 Troy was up on ranked LSU 31-10 going into the 4th quarter. LSU made a huge come back to win that game.

ShotgunDawg
09-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Auburn had to go to OT to beat Jax St last year, 2012 beat ULM by 3 so they have had close calls as well.

Auburn has also lost to Vandy twice in the past 8 years. Not quite the same but close

Again, not excusing what happened, but odds catch up with you at some point. Even Clayton Kershaw has awful outings every once in a while.

Let's regroup & take care of business this weekend. Too many "How many games will we win" threads. Not to sound like a coach, but lets just take it one week at a time.

Martianlander
09-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Again, not excusing what happened in anyway, but we've had a ton of close calls & most every team throws up a clunker like this once a decade.

Agree. Not excusing it, but this is the first time Mullen has lost when he was favored.

Dolphus Raymond
09-08-2016, 11:23 AM
We have to win Saturday or else we run the risk of a a Croom-era collapse, which is totally unacceptable for a team a couple of years removed from being ranked#1 in the nation for a month. Honestly, I believe we will win.

Dawg4Life
09-08-2016, 11:46 AM
- We lost to USA

OM finished 4-8
Florida finished 4-8
Arky finished 8-5 (major turnaround mid-season)

Dawg4Life
09-08-2016, 11:47 AM

USCe finished 3-9
Tenn finished 5-7 (Fulmer retired after season)
TA&M finished 4-8

tcdog70
09-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Saban said they whipped our ass and rode Home in Yellow school buses.

MarketingBully
09-08-2016, 12:30 PM
We also beat Ole Miss in 2001. If we go 5-7 with one of those five wins against Ole Miss, will all be forgiven?

Johnson85
09-08-2016, 01:22 PM
- We lost to USA

Everybody other than Bama, LSU, and UGA have had disastrous losses in the past 8 years. But I think pretty much all the disastrous losses mark the end of a coach's tenure or happen before a coach has gotten it turned around (if the turn if around at all, **cough** boomer **cough**).

It will be pretty impressive if Dan pulls his shit together at this point. And it's not that he's not capable. I suspect if he lost $20M in a ponzi scheme tomorrow, he would be in top form in short order, but he's going to have to really be internally motivated/driven. I feel like most coaches that hit a slump this late in their career have trouble getting out of it before patience runs out. But it does happen, even if those coaches don't quite return to their peak.

Tbonewannabe
09-08-2016, 01:28 PM
We also beat Ole Miss in 2001. If we go 5-7 with one of those five wins against Ole Miss, will all be forgiven?

I think it really depends on what the 7 losses look like and what UNM looks like also. If the 7 losses are all by 3 or 4 TDs and UNM wheels have fallen off and they are looking at 6-7 wins then 5-7 is harder to stomache. However if we have 7 losses but we are within 10 points of almost everyone and we either beat a good UNM team or beat the shit out of a bad UNM team then most people are content.

RocketDawg
09-08-2016, 01:31 PM

2008 a 6-4 Troy was up on ranked LSU 31-10 going into the 4th quarter. LSU made a huge come back to win that game.

I may be mistaken, but I think Troy State also beat Nebraska a few years ago.

dawgday166
09-08-2016, 03:36 PM

Y'all are almost talking me into it ... "believing" that is. I wanna believe along with you. But I feel very certain I know what Mullen will do. A couple of younger guys, like Peters, will play more on D.

On O, he's gonna trot out the same lineup. Aeris and Dear will get 2 or 3 touches apiece. Hollaway will be the featured back with Shump next. Williams will run a good bit from the QB position. And we MAY score as much as 20, but more like 14 at best. This game will be like the Vandy-USCe game.

If we win, it will be much uglier than the Auburn game last year.

dickiedawg
09-08-2016, 03:51 PM
I don't know that "all will be forgiven". You still lost to South Alabama in that scenario, and at least one more head scratcher (UK, USC, UMass, Samford or BYU).
But that scenario gets you a lot more goodwill than 5-7 with wins against those 5 teams I mentioned.

Neither would get Mullen fired. Neither would get the fire Mullen crowd off his back.