PDA

View Full Version : For you guys who have switched to PS Vue or Sling....

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-07-2016, 09:38 PM
What are y'all doing for the CBS game? I'm sure some of you have an antenna that picks it up, but not everyone can do that. Was just wondering what everyone was doing.

Turfdawg67
09-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Not the best to answer cause I got PS Vue + an antenna for the locals (ABC, CBS, NBC AND FOX), but I now get 106 HD channels, including all the ESPN ones, SEC Network and Fox Sports for $34.99 a month. You can get antennas that pick up 80 miles away and stick it in your attic.

TUSK
09-08-2016, 12:54 AM
What are y'all doing for the CBS game? I'm sure some of you have an antenna that picks it up, but not everyone can do that. Was just wondering what everyone was doing.

I just left Sat TV bc they kept raising rates... went to a combo ROKU/SlingTV/AmazonPrime.... Dropped Amazon...

I have a $30 Walmart antenna that I picked up on the cheap (while I was having my pic taken with a cardboard cutout of MDL and our 473rd NC Trophy)...

With the ANT, I get all the major networks (I live in the WOODS)... with SlingTV's lowest level package +$5 (for ESPN channels & SECN) = $30 and I get all I need to watch the foosball.

I'm purposely ignorant when it comes to tech.... I hope this helps you, buddy.

Op4isabitch
09-08-2016, 07:21 AM
I'm having good luck with the ESPN app and Apple TV. Granted it doesn't help with the local broadcast but I get the games and anything else I'm interested in watching.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-08-2016, 07:49 AM

CBS sports app...used it many a time on a deer stand to watch the 2:00 game.

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Right now I have DTV, but I am sick of it and potentially looking to change. Like Tusk, I am also technologically challenged. So I am about to ask what will probably be a very stupid set of questions to most reading this thread. If one were to go with one of these streaming services would it be advised to get an unlimited data package? I would think streaming TV would blow through the Gb. Also, what equipment is needed? Say with the PS Vue...do you have to have a PS or do they sell some other box, device, or whatever that you use?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Right now I have DTV, but I am sick of it and potentially looking to change. Like Tusk, I am also technologically challenged. So I am about to ask what will probably be a very stupid set of questions to most reading this thread. If one were to go with one of these streaming services would it be advised to get an unlimited data package? I would think streaming TV would blow through the Gb. Also, what equipment is needed? Say with the PS Vue...do you have to have a PS or do they sell some other box, device, or whatever that you use?

Long story as short as I can tell it, but I got an exemption from ATT Uverse for data limits because I bundle wireless, internet, and home TV. I was going to cancel the TV portion and keep the others, but it was cheaper to keep the basic channels (local in HD) and increase my bundle discount. Now, if you go PS Vue, you can stream over PS3, PS4, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon Fire TV, and I think now Roku. The thing I like about Vue is that it's a month to month subscription and that you can stream up to 5 devices off one account at a time. I could be wrong, but I don't think SlingTV offers that.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Long story as short as I can tell it, but I got an exemption from ATT Uverse for data limits because I bundle wireless, internet, and home TV. I was going to cancel the TV portion and keep the others, but it was cheaper to keep the basic channels (local in HD) and increase my bundle discount. Now, if you go PS Vue, you can stream over PS3, PS4, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon Fire TV, and I think now Roku. The thing I like about Vue is that it's a month to month subscription and that you can stream up to 5 devices off one account at a time. I could be wrong, but I don't think SlingTV offers that.

I think with Sling you can maybe do 2 at a time. May be mistaken on that. My problem is that I've put my address in one of those sites where it will tell you if you can pick up local channels with an external antenna and it tells me I can't, even though I'm 70 miles from a major market. I'm thinking the only way I find out is to just buy one and do the 7 day free trial and see for myself. There are 4-5 channels that I currently get with DirecTV that I wouldn't be able to get with Vue, but if it saves me $1200 per year, I can do without.

Dawgology
09-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Not the best to answer cause I got PS Vue + an antenna for the locals (ABC, CBS, NBC AND FOX), but I now get 106 HD channels, including all the ESPN ones, SEC Network and Fox Sports for $34.99 a month. You can get antennas that pick up 80 miles away and stick it in your attic.

What type of antenna are your using (brand and model number). I'm thinking about doing this. Is HBO available through PS Vue? I basically watch ESPN, Sec Network and HBO.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-08-2016, 09:42 AM
What type of antenna are your using (brand and model number). I'm thinking about doing this. Is HBO available through PS Vue? I basically watch ESPN, Sec Network and HBO.

No, only Showtime, but if you go the Amazon Stick/TV route you can get HBOgo.

starkvegasdawg
09-08-2016, 09:45 AM
How fast of an internet do you need to stream TV?

SailingDawg
09-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I have an antenna I bought for $30 at Walmart. I plugged it into the wall socket in my bedroom because it has a big window and faces north towards all the local station transmission towers in our area.

I then went to the closet where the coaxial cables come in and split, and switched them so the one from my bedroom is the source (input). Then, every tv in the house has access to what the antenna draws by hooking them up to the coaxial wall plugs.

I get all networks on the Gulf Coast, plus the CW, PBS, Bounce, and a lot of other local channels that carry old movies and old tv shows. The reception is perfect.

Sling has a new promotion. Newest Apple TV for $89 if you prepay three months of service.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Also for the PS Vue, you can use that account login for WatchESPN and has a cloud DVR that holds 28 days....

SD34 you probably need at least 10 Mpbs to have a solid connection without snags.

notsofarawaydawg
09-08-2016, 10:34 AM
I think with Sling you can maybe do 2 at a time. May be mistaken on that. My problem is that I've put my address in one of those sites where it will tell you if you can pick up local channels with an external antenna and it tells me I can't, even though I'm 70 miles from a major market. I'm thinking the only way I find out is to just buy one and do the 7 day free trial and see for myself. There are 4-5 channels that I currently get with DirecTV that I wouldn't be able to get with Vue, but if it saves me $1200 per year, I can do without.

I have Sling. You can stream one device off a subscription. You must buy additional subscriptions for each device you want to stream at the same time. If you want to stream on more than one device you can do so, just not at the same time. I love it because I watch very little TV outside of sports. I use an antenna purchased at Walmart to get my locals.

TopDog58
09-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Here is my experience so far:

Comcast has now raised their cap to 1gb of data from 300g so im not as worried about the limit anymore.

I tested out Sling at the first of the year on my Roku TV. it was fine, but decided to stick with satellite for a while longer.

Since July, I've been with PS Vue. Its a great service, gets all the channels I want for $34/month. You can stream it on up to 3 non PS devices (Roku, Fire, Chromecast, etc) at a time. The only issue Ive had so far was during the first Thursday night games last week the hackers decided to DDOS attack Sony's network and caused it to shut down.

Since I've had good experience with it, my parents decided to ditch cable. One big problem I found out with PS Vue is you can't share it. Once you sign up, you are tied to you location by IP. So you are not able to access your account from another network.

So, we decided to look into Sling. Sling has now added a multi stream tier of channels that allows you to stream 3 at a time. Unlike PS, Sling is not tied to your IP so it is possible to "share". The main issue with sling is that all the Disney owned channels (i.e. all ESPNs, SEC Network etc) are still single stream. Sling is also missing all the Discovery owned networks which are available on Vue.

At this point I'm sticking with Vue. I just hope that they make improvements to the Roku interface which is extremely bare bones at this time.

As for locals, I'm in the Jacktown area so an antenna is all i need for the CBS and ABC games.

TUSK
09-08-2016, 12:15 PM
How fast of an internet do you need to stream TV?

I'm rocking a blazing* 10mbps, and it works fine...

I pay CenturyLink ~$45/mo for internet & SlingTV is ~$35/mo... I got the Roku Thingamajiggy and antenna from my uncle for free...

I mounted this antenna https://www.walmart.com/ip/46998188?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227035259026&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=67837025209&wl4=pla-151941267649&wl5=9012595&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46998188&wl13=&veh=sem where the sat dish was....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-08-2016, 12:32 PM
For those that need to check their location in relation to the station towers: http://tvfool.com