PDA

View Full Version : Concerning playing younger players

Bodaski
09-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Is there a good possibility younger guys are coming into the program with a mindset they're more than likely going to redshirt and it takes a little out of them in preparing to play? How hard is a guy going to go, knowing he's going to be a scout team guy for a year or two? Just a thought.

lastmajordog
09-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Is there a good possibility younger guys are coming into the program with a mindset they're more than likely going to redshirt and it takes a little out of them in preparing to play? How hard is a guy going to go, knowing he's going to be a scout team guy for a year or two? Just a thought.

Not only that, if you are a stud with true college credentials, would it affect your decision ...being a freshman playing in Vaught Hemingway with a crowd screaming your name, or waiting 2 or 3 years in Scott field HOPING you don’t get on the coach’s bad side???

Katdoc12
09-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Not only that, if you are a stud with true college credentials, would it affect your decision ...being a freshman playing in Vaught Hemingway with a crowd screaming your name, or waiting 2 or 3 years in Scott field HOPING you don?t get on the coach?s bad side???

THIS!!!
Not to mention if the coaches get you here then insist to use you in a different role that then keeps you sidelined for an additional year. Not that some players dont need more development time, but the hottest recruits expect playing time sooner. The 4 & 5 *s are now seeing benefit to go to other conferences to get on the field.

I_Spy
09-07-2016, 07:09 PM
If I played baseball, I'd probably go to MS State
If I played basketball men or women's, I'd probably go to ms state
If I played softball or golf maybe even, I'd probably go to state

Football? I do believe the D will be good so if I was an 'offensive star' I'd obviously go to state.

I_Spy
09-07-2016, 07:10 PM
You can only shine!!!! Logic! +1

Fred Ross will still be Fred Ross

I don't think it has anything to do with stadiums at all or towns bc OM was suck not long ago.
They may still be bc some of us doubt FSU was a 4 anyway.

Or by no means is it the town or stadium of why people go ...or they would have always gone

Or Dak, Preston, BMac starters ..especially recent grads or state people
But if the players rather go to the cheat side karma dictates eventually they will cheat themselves ...live long enough and understand

MetEdDawg
09-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Well we are still playing from behind in today's culture. Kids want it now and sometimes you have to be flexible in that regard if you want the big time players. Thats just how it is and while having a process and a philosophy is good, if you have the correct structure in place you can be successful playing freshmen.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 07:52 PM
I think that would hold water if the underclassmen truly didn't perform when given the rare opportunity but often times that's not the case. And that's what's frustrating. There's no way in hell all of the underclassmen are loafing around in practice every single year and then perform well on gameday.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Well we are still playing from behind in today's culture. Kids want it now and sometimes you have to be flexible in that regard if you want the big time players. Thats just how it is and while having a process and a philosophy is good, if you have the correct structure in place you can be successful playing freshmen.

I think football is just changing rapidly at the high school level compared to even five years ago. Today's football culture you have Elite 11/The Opening in the preseason, you have ESPN nationally televising games across the country, and then in the postseason you have things like the Army AA Game and the UA All-American Game among others. Those events are making these high school football players into celebrities whereas 15 years ago that only really happened if it was someone like Marcus Dupree or Peyton Manning. And because those recruits are told how awesome they are many of them expect to go somewhere that they can play immediately or "wait their turn" which now means you start as a sophomore at Alabama after being a key role player as a freshman. If you tell some of those players "hey, come to __ and we'll redshirt you and then maybe you can play some as a freshman IF you earn it on special teams and then maybe you can back up someone as a sophomore IF you earn it and then start as a redshirt junior" they're not going to have it. They'll go somewhere where they can play right away.

And I think it's starting to become more and more viable for football players to make the jump from high school to college because we're starting to see better training methods in terms of S&C, you have all of these 7 on 7 tournaments where guys are getting reps, and I think the next big new thing is going to virtual reality which is just starting to become available at the college and NFL level and I know Stanford and Clemson have had really positive results from it. VR (virtual reality) allows a guy that was or is in high school the opportunity to be in a simulated environment where they can strap on a headset and be in a college practice and they can see what a 4-3 under defense with a cover 2 shell looks like from the vantage point of whatever position they play.

Florida State's freshman QB that tore up Ole Miss has used VR in training and we all see how quickly he adjusted which was one quarter compared to an entire year.

Treemydawg
09-07-2016, 08:08 PM

Why would a recruit come into a program thinking they are going to redshirt? If you have d1 offers you expect to come in and play atleast some snaps. These players aren't going to sign with a school where they think they are going to be a scout team player when they have been the best player or one of the best players on their team. They expect pt. With that said I think this is why we suck at recruiting. These guys want to play but they won't play here for atleast two years reguardless of who is in front of you. If I were a d1 prospect with the size and speed to have a impact my freshman year as much as I love state there is no way in hell I would sign with them and sit behind a player I know I'm better than because of seniority.