PDA

View Full Version : Today's Boneyard

TrapGame
09-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Take a listen. It actually got me a little woolly. I think Dan is gonna turn this around Saturday.

Added link... Please link if you are going to talk about stuff not on the site.
https://www.bulldogsportsradio.com/episode/14634/the-boneyard-bulldogs-ready-to-bounce-back-against-south-carolina/

-Scooba

Commercecomet24
09-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Can you give us the high points? Thanks

gtowndawg
09-07-2016, 04:01 PM
I remember Roy McLain telling me a story in the old Germantown Civic Center weight room one time that got my hopes up about Jackie. It was the 2001 season...the famous Rosebowl prediction. Anyway, we got trounced at Florida early in the season. Like 50-0. He told me Jackie didn't let the coaches go home when they flew back in after the game. They all went to the office(s) and stayed up the rest of the night to figure it out and turn the season around. Everything was going to be fine!! This was just an anomaly! We all know how that turned out. Is history repeating itself? I think we will all know pretty soon.

TrapGame
09-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Can you give us the high points? Thanks

Some of the things we've already heard like Dan apologizing to the team but Steve also talked to some players and they are focused. He said the coaches are not smiling, it's business this week. The practices so far have been intense and some of the older guys are now acting like leaders. He said attitudes are completely different than last week when they thought they had this USA game in the bag before they played. These guys, coaches and players, are coaching and playing pissed off.

maroonmania
09-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Some of the things we've already heard like Dan apologizing to the team but Steve also talked to some players and they are focused. He said the coaches are not smiling, it's business this week. The practices so far have been intense and some of the older guys are now acting like leaders. He said attitudes are completely different than last week when they thought they had this USA game in the bag before they played. These guys, coaches and players, are coaching and playing pissed off.

Well that is good to hear and if attitude and effort is the big issue then we might actually have a chance to turn things around. However, I'm concerned we just don't have enough top line talent on this team. If that is the biggest part of the problem then that is not fixable in the short term.

Homedawg
09-07-2016, 04:09 PM

Sounds great. But I don't care how much leading takes place, we still aren't a very talented football team and no Knute Rockne speech or cussing or whatever is going to change that between now and Saturday.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2016, 04:15 PM

Thank you! Appreciate the info!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Why were the coaches smiling to begin with? They couldn't see this team needed a leader and a fire lit under their ass?

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Sounds great. But I don't care how much leading takes place, we still aren't a very talented football team and no Knute Rockne speech or cussing or whatever is going to change that between now and Saturday.

May lack talent but I'd rather lack talent and give it everything than lack talent and half ass things.

gtowndawg
09-07-2016, 04:34 PM
May lack talent but I'd rather lack talent and give it everything than lack talent and half ass things.

Yep, I can tolerate lacking talent short term as long as the players and coaches give it everything they have. Creative play calling, playing the talent you have even if it's growing pains, etc. I can stomach that for a year.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Yep, I can tolerate lacking talent short term as long as the players and coaches give it everything they have. Creative play calling, playing the talent you have even if it's growing pains, etc. I can stomach that for a year.

Yep.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 04:46 PM
A couple more days and we will know if Steve is just blowing smoke up our ass or things really did change for the better. I don't trust journalists since Dontae Walker is in great shape and then he waddled his fat ass out there.

HancockCountyDog
09-07-2016, 04:55 PM

Have the coaches changed their rule about closing practice? Im surprised if they have. Otherwise Steve is just passing along information that was given to him.

Always remember with Steve, he tried to tell anyone that would listen that we were cutting Brandon Bryant after he made a trip to Hattiesburg for an Official visit.

I haven't forgotten.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 04:56 PM
A couple more days and we will know if Steve is just blowing smoke up our ass or things really did change for the better. I don't trust journalists since Dontae Walker is in great shape and then he waddled his fat ass out there.

Round is a shape.

MedDawg
09-07-2016, 04:57 PM
I remember Roy McLain telling me a story in the old Germantown Civic Center weight room one time that got my hopes up about Jackie. It was the 2001 season...the famous Rosebowl prediction. Anyway, we got trounced at Florida early in the season. Like 50-0. He told me Jackie didn't let the coaches go home when they flew back in after the game. They all went to the office(s) and stayed up the rest of the night to figure it out and turn the season around. Everything was going to be fine!! This was just an anomaly! We all know how that turned out. Is history repeating itself? I think we will all know pretty soon.

We went 3-8, but we also lost 5 games by a total of only 17 points (lost by 2 to SC, 2 to Auburn, 7 to Bama, 3 to Arkansas, and 3 to BYU). Plus Troy State in a tornado game by 12. We went from 19th in the country in scoring in 2000 to 109th in 2001.

I was also expecting a big season and the let down killed me. That was the last time I've ever fully invested emotionally in a State team. Maybe that's a good thing.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 05:04 PM
We went 3-8, but we also lost 5 games by a total of only 17 points (lost by 2 to SC, 2 to Auburn, 7 to Bama, 3 to Arkansas, and 3 to BYU). Plus Troy State in a tornado game by 12. We went from 19th in the country in scoring in 2000 to 109th in 2001.

I was also expecting a big season and the let down killed me. That was the last time I've ever fully invested emotionally in a State team. Maybe that's a good thing.

It may be a good thing. Whether I'm expecting them to go 12-0 or 0-12, I still get completely invested. Consumed may be a better word. After a big win I'm on a high for days. The sun shines a little bit brighter, certain coworkers a little less annoying, and so on. After a bad loss I will sulk and stew for days. Somebody will tell me good morning and the first thought that goes through my mind is "17 off...nobody asked you to say a damn thing."

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 05:10 PM
It may be a good thing. Whether I'm expecting them to go 12-0 or 0-12, I still get completely invested. Consumed may be a better word. After a big win I'm on a high for days. The sun shines a little bit brighter, certain coworkers a little less annoying, and so on. After a bad loss I will sulk and stew for days. Somebody will tell me good morning and the first thought that goes through my mind is "17 off...nobody asked you to say a damn thing."

I used to be this way but I moved to California for a season during the Croom years. It really helped me distance myself from it. I have a cowbell from Jackie's last year that has so many dents from me banging into the concrete. Now I am a lot more easy going when we lose. I still get pissed but I can put it more in perspective.

Bothrops
09-07-2016, 05:12 PM

9/11 was a huge distraction that year. It affected everything.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Very interesting that this comes from Rosebowl the same day that Murray assures us that Dan isn't going anywhere. Who do they both work for again?

msstate7
09-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Very interesting that this comes from Rosebowl the same day that Murray assures us that Dan isn't going anywhere. Who do they both work for again?

Didn't Paul say something similar?

basedog
09-07-2016, 05:27 PM

+1

We will all know if change happens Saturday. Hard to believe that this probably Dan's most important game of his career! Not the biggest just most important.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 05:31 PM

Probably so. It would make sense because I think this message is coming from MSU through their fan sites. I think MSU is trying to keep as much support as possible as I'm sure they know people are pissed.

TrapGame
09-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Added link... Please link if you are going to talk about stuff not on the site.
https://www.bulldogsportsradio.com/episode/14634/the-boneyard-bulldogs-ready-to-bounce-back-against-south-carolina/

-Scooba

Oops.

I'm really hoping that things get back on track Saturday. I'd really hate to see things go from bad to worse.

was21
09-07-2016, 05:44 PM
I used to be that way. I'm not now. I'm happy when we win but the rush is not the same as it used to be. When we don't win, it bothers me for the rest of the day. I have chosen to not let it bother me past that day. It is actually not good for your mental or physical health to be emotionally invested in what a coaching staff can or cannot get out of 18 to 22 year olds on any given Saturday. I will hang up and listen or maybe not

Maroonthirteen
09-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Did a players only meeting take place?

If there was a players only meeting, buy your playoff tickets.*****

I seen it dawg
09-07-2016, 06:14 PM

Great. Shit that should be done daily...in the spring summer and fall. No let up on those assholes for just now being "all business". I'm not all business everyday I get shitcanned. Real quick.

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 06:27 PM

I like ole Steve. Think he's done a great job with the OM investigation. But I have to say I don't trust his analyses relative to how good, ready, etc. our football team is. He do usually paint a real Rosey picture.

Outside Dawg
09-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Yep. Dan apologizing for not motivating us properly and players mad and now focused. I'm sure same could always be written following losses. We still didn't address who could throw the ball 15 yards down field, or if we'll play the less talented players all over the field.

RougeDawg
09-07-2016, 07:34 PM
If they couldn't get mad and focused to finally play someone other than themselves this last weekend, what is going to change that now. Every game is as important as the next. We treated USA like a spring scrimmage. We should have treated them like tackling dummies and beat the ever living shit out of them, setting the tone for the rest of the season. Instead we tittle bumped them around and wound up with the bleeding nipples.

RougeDawg
09-07-2016, 07:41 PM
If they couldn't get mad and focused to finally play someone other than themselves this last weekend, what is going to change that now. Every game is as important as the next. We treated USA like a spring scrimmage. We should have treated them like tackling dummies and beat the ever living shit out of them, setting the tone for the rest of the season. Instead we tittle bumped them around and wound up with the bleeding nipples.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 07:45 PM

I would imagine that it's hard to flip the switch from not enough intensity to being intense enough to win. Especially when your opponent has been dialed up for months.

We'll see what happens Saturday though. It should be interesting if nothing else.

Dawgology
09-07-2016, 08:11 PM
So what your saying is we should only lose by a touchdown now?

JoseBrown
09-07-2016, 08:56 PM

That's a difference between Dan and Bucky, we treat the cupcakes like a scrimmage and Bucky likes to beat the shit out of them. I've always preferred Dan's way, but after Saturday I may wish he goes a little Bucky on UMASS n Samford. Just to make sure we win and all.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-07-2016, 09:40 PM
READY, READY, READY....READY!

Well, not so much last weekend, hoping they're READY this weekend.

Lance Harbor
09-07-2016, 10:47 PM

Cost so many games....and State could have had Stephen Gostkowski.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 10:53 PM
That's a difference between Dan and Bucky, we treat the cupcakes like a scrimmage and Bucky likes to beat the shit out of them. I've always preferred Dan's way, but after Saturday I may wish he goes a little Bucky on UMASS n Samford. Just to make sure we win and all.

I prefer Freeze's way. Run offense and perfect it.

Apoplectic
09-07-2016, 11:00 PM

Anyone really believe we're going to hear anything critical about the team from these internet guys? Their access would be pulled so quick - they can't risk it. Someone from the CL could get away with bashing the program since they are high profile. Unfortunately Sam Hills guys are morons that would rather take a cheap shot instead of something informative.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Anyone really believe we're going to hear anything critical about the team from these internet guys? Their access would be pulled so quick - they can't risk it. Someone from the CL could get away with bashing the program since they are high profile. Unfortunately Sam Hills guys are morons that would rather take a cheap shot instead of something informative.

It would be pretty hilarious to hear them report:

Well the teams will is pretty much broken right now. So, they're all going out for Mexican tonight.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2016, 11:14 PM
It would be pretty hilarious to hear them report:

Well the teams will is pretty much broken right now. So, they're all going out for Mexican tonight.

Now that's funny!!!

BossDawg
09-07-2016, 11:25 PM

I'm thinking (hoping) that the USA game might force some players to stand up and be leaders, and that it was indeed an anomaly. Hopefully that's the case and the team got the crud out of their system. However, I'm cautiously optimistic and not expecting too much, just to be on the safe side.

Turfdawg67
09-07-2016, 11:44 PM
I would imagine that it's hard to flip the switch from not enough intensity to being intense enough to win. Especially when your opponent has been dialed up for months.

We'll see what happens Saturday though. It should be interesting if nothing else.

You're right. I don't think they played prevent that last drive and we drive it down inside the 20 In under a minute... I just think our guys just thought it was in the bag until it all hit them that, "hey, we could lose this game". But that is, and it's been said, on Dan and our coaches.