PDA

View Full Version : Why is it a big deal that Dan has interviewed for other jobs?

sleepy dawg
09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
When Dan came here, we were at the bottom of college football. We knew if we were able to get a good up and comer coach that we would likely be used as a stepping stone, like most schools in our position would be. How many coaches would've and could've come into MSU at that time, elevated our program like Dan has, and never even consider taking another job?... Probably none. They either don't have the talent to take one of the worst teams in college football to a #1 ranking, or they would have that ability, and they'd be looking for something bigger and better within a few years.

Almost all coaches are looking for something bigger and better unless they have reached the very top, which almost none do, and even sometimes then, they will still leave and look for something else (such as Nick Saban going to the NFL).

I guess I just don't see it as big of a negative as everyone else that our head coach has considered the possibility of taking another job after having some good success here. Unless they went to school here and have been a lifelong State fan, they are all going to want to move on at some point. I really don't think there are many good coaches who wouldn't do this.

MafiaDawg
09-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Because he does it right before signing day and our recruiting sucks.

HSVDawg
09-07-2016, 10:13 AM
There is a fine line between interviewing for other jobs when approached by potential suitors and trying your damnedest to get any other job other than the one you have. This is especially true when there is a tremendous financial commitment from your employer to provide top tier compensation and resources you have personally requested to help do your job well. According to most in the know, Mullen crossed that line a while back.

spbdawg
09-07-2016, 10:16 AM
#

Ray Brower
09-07-2016, 10:17 AM
When Dan came here, we were at the bottom of college football. We knew if we were able to get a good up and comer coach that we would likely be used as a stepping stone, like most schools in our position would be. How many coaches would've and could've come into MSU at that time, elevated our program like Dan has, and never even consider taking another job?... Probably none. They either don't have the talent to take one of the worst teams in college football to a #1 ranking, or they would have that ability, and they'd be looking for something bigger and better within a few years.

Almost all coaches are looking for something bigger and better unless they have reached the very top, which almost none do, and even sometimes then, they will still leave and look for something else (such as Nick Saban going to the NFL).

I guess I just don't see it as big of a negative as everyone else that our head coach has considered the possibility of taking another job after having some good success here. Unless they went to school here and have been a lifelong State fan, they are all going to want to move on at some point. I really don't think there are many good coaches who wouldn't do this.

Are you OK with your wife going to the bar and asking guys to buy her drinks?

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 10:18 AM
They didn't give him the compensation he wanted for assistants and support staff he wanted after 14 and it pissed him off. So he gave them a big f u in 15 and looked and guess what happened.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Because he does it right before signing day and our recruiting sucks.

This is the correct answer. He is letting his job hunt affect his current position. If you are missing deadlines due to putting in resumes on indeed then your boss might have an issue. Not only do other schools use it against us in recruiting, Mullen's recruiting is subpar anyway.

ILOATHEBears
09-07-2016, 10:26 AM

One could argue we are at the bottom of college football RIGHT NOW! We aren't ranked in the top 25 and We lost to south Alabama and we

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 10:30 AM
I don't have a problem at all with his interviews if we didn't have one of the worst recruiting classes in the SEC and we don't even have a full team because of it. We laugh when Nutt was signing 36 players in one class but we need to do that to have a full team on scholarship. Mullen has basically imposed scholarship reductions on us worse than 9 over 3 by not even signing guys.

Johnson85
09-07-2016, 10:37 AM

It's not a big deal that he interviewed once. It's letting it get out repeatedly while also having subpar recruiting. Outside a few rare companies that actually encourage their employees to interview, pretty much everybody that serially looks for other jobs without getting/taking them is going to end up in hot water with their employer.

MetEdDawg
09-07-2016, 10:38 AM

One could argue we are at the bottom of college football RIGHT NOW! We aren't ranked in the top 25 and We lost to south Alabama and we

I might would agree if his timing were better and the jobs were clearly better. If he contacted Miami, while they do have a better history I don't think they are clearly a step up at the current moment. And I believe we can pay more too. That to me at the current moment is a net draw.

I was never convinced he would be here long term, but I said way back on the other board when he was hired that this was a 10 year rebuild process. Right now my projections are spot on because the inevitable fall off year seems to be happening. However, if Mullen craps out on us by not caring or just sticking it to us because we won't give him what he wants, then it will take longer. What people fail to realize is that while we aren't lil ole MSU anymore, we are still behind the rest of the SEC in funding and many of our available resources. You can choose not to believe it, but go look at fiscal year athletic department budgets and see what the data says.

We've improved but we still have a long way to go. I would say Mullen has done well with what we have. He's pushed us. The question is does he have the nuts to have the vision to push us further? Does he truly believe 10-3 is our ceiling? If so that's a really bad sign. Means he reached his ceiling and doesn't see any more room for growth.

Jack Lambert
09-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Officially he has only interviewed once. The others are all rumors. I think a lot of it gets built up right before signing day by Ole Miss people.

Taog Redloh
09-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Nobody would give two shits had we beaten Ole Miss at home last year.

Really Clark?
09-07-2016, 10:47 AM
They didn't give him the compensation he wanted for assistants and support staff he wanted after 14 and it pissed him off. So he gave them a big f u in 15 and looked and guess what happened.

And some of that was from outside influences to the AD in 2014. Hold over from being pissed he won out in 2013 so they couldn't place someone in position that they wanted. There are things to blame Mullen for, I don't disagree but some of our own have played a bigger part in creating a good bit of this mess and they won't take any responsibility for it and especially keep twisting the narrative to paint it all on Mullen.

How bout this, no way for me to corroborate, but have been told by multiple people that some of these job searches over the last few years were not only false but in one case one of our own was involved in some some fashion a back door contact to Mullen, and then spun the story that he is looking to leave.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Officially he has only interviewed once. The others are all rumors. I think a lot of it gets built up right before signing day by Ole Miss people.

THIS is the correct answer. We also had people pimping every rumor to serve their agenda.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 11:01 AM
And some of that was from outside influences to the AD in 2014. Hold over from being pissed he won out in 2013 so they couldn't place someone in position that they wanted. There are things to blame Mullen for, I don't disagree but some of our own have played a bigger part in creating a good bit of this mess and they won't take any responsibility for it and especially keep twisting the narrative to paint it all on Mullen.

How bout this, no way for me to corroborate, but have been told by multiple people that some of these job searches over the last few years were not only false but in one case one of our own was involved in some some fashion a back door contact to Mullen, and then spun the story that he is looking to leave.

Yep

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Yep

As I said yesterday strick doesn't have the balls to tell the cigar boys to just give me what I need and I'll win. With that being said strick was hired because the cigar boys wanted him to be their next templeton.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 11:07 AM

Not sure who the official interview was with but I was told by a Maryland guy that there was enough talk to have numbers thrown around and some people thought they had a good shot of him coming there. This comes from someone that has no connection at all with MSU or Dan, purely from Maryland. With Miami and UGA open, Maryland wasn't willing to wait on him to see if he got either of those. Not sure if he had true interest or if he was trying to use them to get himself a raise but it happened as far as I was told.

lamont
09-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Dan Mullen tried to get the Georgia job last year. I don't blame him. He got passed over for Smart

Mullen tried hard to get the Miami job and thought he had it. Then Richt became available and Miami dropped him like a bad habit. What was going to be Mullen/Manny became Richt/Manny. This was quite the eye-opener for Mullen

Mullen flirted with Maryland also

The problem is that it's a distraction while the season is going on. These types of things needs to go on after the Egg Bowl- not during the last few weeks of the season. Also, it being very public is a problem. His agent was actively pimping him last year. Word spreads- people talk. Last November was ridiculous.

So when you have all that buzz going on- then lay an Egg Bowl turd- then miss on numerous recruits in Feb- then follow it up with a loss to a Sun Belt team you were favored by 28 points over- it's not a good look or trend for your program. We are 10-8 since being #1, and that is going to fall below .500 by season's end. Bad trend

ScoobaDawg
09-07-2016, 11:14 AM

The biggest thing is Mullen hasn't done his job in the off-season. We do not have close to a full allotment of scholarship players right now and thats on Dan. It's on him for not managing things correctly. it's on him for having shitty coaches aka friends that he lets hang around and not do their jobs.

WinningIsRelentless
The way the game is played now is agents negotiate a number before you interview. The only job he has interviewed for is Miami and then Richt became available and they went with him.

Really Clark?
Not sure who the official interview was with but I was told by a Maryland guy that there was enough talk to have numbers thrown around and some people thought they had a good shot of him coming there. This comes from someone that has no connection at all with MSU or Dan, purely from Maryland. With Miami and UGA open, Maryland wasn't willing to wait on him to see if he got either of those. Not sure if he had true interest or if he was trying to use them to get himself a raise but it happened as far as I was told.

I think I posted this yesterday but the extent of the Maryland deal, as told to me, was a number thrown at the agent when THEY approached the agent about interest. No interview, no search on Mullen's part, just Maryland making contact to guage interest and the agent doing his job. Miami was a legit interview and all indications I got were he would have left if offered.

Dawg496
09-07-2016, 11:15 AM
It's not what. It's how.

You don't think other coaches look to move on? How come we have to deal with this every offseason and there is never any statement issued about his commitment to the university? It's horse shit.

lamont
09-07-2016, 11:17 AM
THIS is the correct answer. We also had people pimping every rumor to serve their agenda.

b-b-B-but I thought it was my #agenda to lie to everyone when I said we would struggle to win 6 games??? You said it was??? Funny how my #agendas always end up being the truth

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 11:18 AM
its real simple our ad does it to us. You come out and give a extension if that is what you are going to do in November or first of December. Don't do it in March.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 11:20 AM
b-b-B-but I thought it was my #agenda to lie to everyone when I said we would struggle to win 6 games??? You said it was??? Funny how my #agendas always end up being the truth

Yours? Interesting. You weren't around here then were you? Not when the Maryland BS was surfacing.

If you will go back and look I said I would be happy with 6 wins this year.

DancingRabbit
09-07-2016, 11:26 AM
It's not what. It's how.

You don't think other coaches look to move on? How come we have to deal with this every offseason and there is never any statement issued about his commitment to the university? It's horse shit.

On 11/27/15 Bonner asked him about a rumor posted by FootballScoop.com and Dan replied, "I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

Really Clark?
09-07-2016, 11:33 AM
The biggest thing is Mullen hasn't done his job in the off-season. We do not have close to a full allotment of scholarship players right now and thats on Dan. It's on him for not managing things correctly. it's on him for having shitty coaches aka friends that he lets hang around and not do their jobs.

I agree with some of this. But BEFORE any of this and during the run the last two years he has also had road blocks and misinformation to negatively impact some of this and how he did his job. A good part of the reason why is because he didn't bow to some boosters feet and to be honest some of the ones playing around in the background, I wouldn't have either. They have no business negatively impacting our program and what he was building. And to be honest for no good reason. Some of this started prior to the 2013 season. Why? Because we were finally going in a sustained positive direction but they were not pulling the strings? Or was it because some lost their collective minds with the UNM 2013 recruiting class and believed we needed our own Freeze to play dirty with them. Lot of questions and make no mistake Mullen didn't react well and it has hurt the program. But if anybody thinks all of this is just him and all these talking points that keep being pounded on over and over is not rooted in a misinformation campaign as well, then you are wrong. Like I said there is blame to go around and with Mullen as well, he could have handled things differently outside the playing field and a some of this wouldn't be brought up today. But some of the power players carry as much of the blame because of their actions. They need to step up and make things right as well.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 11:35 AM
On 11/27/15 Bonner asked him about a rumor posted by FootballScoop.com and Dan replied, "I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

Then on December 1,Mullen interviews for Miami job...I guess things change.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 11:41 AM
That date is wrong inter but I'm not going to post the real date. That's the big wtf and screw up Mullen made.

was21
09-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Agree with this post

was21
09-07-2016, 11:50 AM
What is the "Mullen Camp" and who are "others"?

was21
09-07-2016, 11:52 AM
A lot of them probably wouldn't give the same if we had beaten SoAl last week

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 12:07 PM
I agree with some of this. But BEFORE any of this and during the run the last two years he has also had road blocks and misinformation to negatively impact some of this and how he did his job. A good part of the reason why is because he didn't bow to some boosters feet and to be honest some of the ones playing around in the background, I wouldn't have either. They have no business negatively impacting our program and what he was building. And to be honest for no good reason. Some of this started prior to the 2013 season. Why? Because we were finally going in a sustained positive direction but they were not pulling the strings? Or was it because some lost their collective minds with the UNM 2013 recruiting class and believed we needed our own Freeze to play dirty with them. Lot of questions and make no mistake Mullen didn't react well and it has hurt the program. But if anybody thinks all of this is just him and all these talking points that keep being pounded on over and over is not rooted in a misinformation campaign as well, then you are wrong. Like I said there is blame to go around and with Mullen as well, he could have handled things differently outside the playing field and a some of this wouldn't be brought up today. But some of the power players carry as much of the blame because of their actions. They need to step up and make things right as well.

If this is true.........then we are SOS......Same Ole State.

Dawgtini
09-07-2016, 12:18 PM

It's not a big deal. I believe it is part of having success and that our rival and those that don't like him have made it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Also, there are many fans that love our program so much that they lose objectivity and cannot fathom that someone else, especially a 4 million $$ head coach, doesn't see this university as the pinnacle of the sports world. It's just a job to be a coach. We all want to move up in our jobs. I think Dan is actually the rare coach that sees it as more than a job and actually understands that he is coaching in the premier conference and division in his chosen profession, and that if he can make it here he has reached the highest peak that can be reached (win the west = win the sec = competing for NC).

Dawgtini
09-07-2016, 12:21 PM

My wife isn't on a four year contract where I refused to re-up for another fourth year.

maroonmania
09-07-2016, 01:42 PM
The way the game is played now is agents negotiate a number before you interview. The only job he has interviewed for is Miami and then Richt became available and they went with him.

In today's coaching world you are 90% of the way into the process of taking a new job by the time you "officially" interview. Most everything is done through agents to lay all of the groundwork specifically so it does NOT become public and become an issue at your current job.

The main thing that tells me Mullen was actively looking last year, besides the rumor mill, is the fact that we had such huge staff turnover. When the head guy is looking the assistants are looking. Heck, we don't have one defensive coach left from last year's staff.

sleepy dawg
09-07-2016, 02:02 PM
It's not a big deal. I believe it is part of having success and that our rival and those that don't like him have made it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Also, there are many fans that love our program so much that they lose objectivity and cannot fathom that someone else, especially a 4 million $$ head coach, doesn't see this university as the pinnacle of the sports world. It's just a job to be a coach. We all want to move up in our jobs. I think Dan is actually the rare coach that sees it as more than a job and actually understands that he is coaching in the premier conference and division in his chosen profession, and that if he can make it here he has reached the highest peak that can be reached (win the west = win the sec = competing for NC).

This is what I believe as well.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-07-2016, 02:50 PM

Does your regional manager know you are posting on the interest during business hours? Don't you have customers to serve or tables to bus? Where's your company loyalty to your employer?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Because it was rumored that he wore shorts to the interviews.......

sandwolf
09-07-2016, 03:47 PM

If the stuff you have posted in this thread is accurate, then wow....that would absolutely make my blood boil. Those rumors should have been leaked with names attached to them as soon as that bullshit started....hell it should be leaked now, even though a lot of people will write it off as excuses being made for Mullen after that shit show last weekend. It would be one thing if something like that was happening during or after a shitty run, but if this really was going on during the past 2 seasons, then I would completely understand why Mullen was so intent on finding another job.

I_Spy
09-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Ok, people are upset that Dan gets paid 4 million but like he's 9th on the list...so I don't get it

Has he done enough in the SEC to be 9th highest paid? Probably.

I'd quit if it were me. I mean I really would.

I_Spy
09-07-2016, 04:58 PM
1st year Kirby makes less and 2 other sec coaches.

Or why is it more absurd to think the 9 th highest paid SEC coach should win the SEC. To me that's absurd.

But he has done better than ARK lately and ARK pays more.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 05:04 PM

This, and Miami initiated the contact. A lot of the other crap originated up the road. Now we have our "own" repeating it as gospel. Misson accomplished on their part.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Ok, people are upset that Dan gets paid 4 million but like he's 9th on the list...so I don't get it

Has he done enough in the SEC to be 9th highest paid? Probably.

I'd quit if it were me. I mean I really would.

Because it's more than we have ever paid. We are like that minor lottery winner that blows a huge chunk of the moneybjying a huge house in a gated community. What they don't realize for a while is it takes a heck of a lot of money to maintain the place and even more to keep up with the Jones in the new area. Right now we have bought the house but we are still have all our old clothes and cars.

shannondawg
09-07-2016, 05:19 PM
He might be in the position that he needs to look for another job next year. Good luck finding one anywhere near what he is being paid now, if he needs to do that.

No I am not advocating that we fire him, time will tell on that by folk way over my pay grade.

rtdawg
09-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Nobody would give two shits had we beaten Ole Miss at home last year.

Well we didn't and we looked like absolute shit and unprepared in that game with a chance to go to the Sugar Bowl if we win....so yeah, I give two shits that we got our ass kicked against them. I also give two shits that in our next home game, we looked horrid and our coach acts like he could care less and it didn't matter....while he was wearing shorts.

I seen it dawg
09-07-2016, 06:18 PM

Lol that's great

BayouDawg
09-07-2016, 06:34 PM
1st year Kirby makes less and 2 other sec coaches.

Or why is it more absurd to think the 9 th highest paid SEC coach should win the SEC. To me that's absurd.

But he has done better than ARK lately and ARK pays more.

I'd say it's enough pay to expect a full 85 man roster. I think it's enough to hire someone capable of beating a sunbelt team. But hey maybe that's just pie in the sky talk.

lamont
09-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Does your regional manager know you are posting on the interest during business hours? Don't you have customers to serve or tables to bus? Where's your company loyalty to your employer?

We at Taco Bell get breaks during the day. Mr Tuohy is very adament that we free our mind during break to relieve stress.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Ha. But I would think that discussing the dawgs would elevate blood pressure not the opposite.

spbdawg
09-08-2016, 09:37 AM
#