PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree or disagree that Dan.....

Dawg for life
09-07-2016, 08:28 AM
has earned the right to have a very bad year and keep his job?? On one side he did have us at number one two years ago for a month. He also has taken us to many bowls games consecutive years. On the other side he seems disengaged, a lazy recruiter, and seems to desire to be somewhere else. I would like to hear your thoughts either way.

fmbdawg17
09-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Does a doctor get to botch a few surgeries every now and then because they've performed so many successful ones? Does a lawyer get to lose a case every now and then because he's won so many? No. Dan hasn't "earned" anything except his $4 million paycheck. Although he doesn't have other people's lives in his hands like doctors and lawyers, he should still strive for excellence. No matter what your career is, you should strive to be the best you can be. Nick Saban is only satisfied with a natty for 24 hours. Then it's on to the next one.

mparkerfd20
09-07-2016, 08:32 AM
He may deserve it, but his ego won't let him have it. The only way he gets another year if he tanks this year is to make Major staff changes that he won't make. 3-9 or 4-8 and he gone.

I seen it dawg
09-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Fired. A bad year is one thing but being disinterested and unwillingly to do what it takes to be successful is another. He's done here. He's quit on us and needs to have his shit thrown out on the lawn. ****ing stansbury at least didn't quit on us.

shoeless joe
09-07-2016, 08:33 AM
If his coaching showed that he was rebuilding for another good run then I could live with it. But I don't see that so I'll say no.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Most people were expecting a down year this year. I was thinking 7 wins this season....with the schedule we have that really wasn't that unreasonable.

Anyway, it's one thing to just have a rebuilding year and be down. I can deal with that. It's that the reason we are down is because a guy that is getting paid 4 million dollars a year was so complacent in his job.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Fired. A bad year is one thing but being disinterested and unwillingly to do what it takes to be successful is another. He's done here. He's quit on us and needs to have his shit thrown out on the lawn. ****ing stansbury at least didn't quit on us.

It was another person that posts here that told me this so I hate to steal his thunder, but he mentioned to me this morning that Paul Jones interviewed a couple players who emphatically stated that Mullen has not lost his fire or quit. To the contrary they said he has knocked their dick in the dirt at practice this week and has been yelling and screaming. To me, that is good news. What would be bad news is if he still trots out the same less talented players because they are upper classmen. I hope that report is true because I hate to think he has given up on us which I quite honestly had decided he had done up until hearing this.

msstate7
09-07-2016, 08:45 AM
So the next question is how much are you guys kicking in on the buy out since apparently we don't have it in the budget?

TNDawg35
09-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Most people, including myself, would be fine with him if he would have come out yesterday in his presser and said it was totally his fault and it will not happen again. Then he went and made changes this Saturday and played the more talented people that are riding the bench. We have talent. For some reason, he will not play them and lets them waste away. We all knew this seasom was gonna be down. We all said somewhere around 6-6 maybe even 7-5. We all would have been happy with that if Mullen wouldnt have actes the way he has. We have 3 QBs that are better than the one who played Sat.(I believe the walk on from Last Chance U is better than Damien) we have 4 backs better than Shump. But he wont play them. Holloway is damn good, but is bot being used to his fullest potential. We all know that. We could have a really good and dangerous team this yr that I think could surprise a few West teams not named Ark or Auburn. The only prob is, we cant be dangerous from the sidelines. The sherade needs to stop. This isnt pop warner football. This is the 17in SECW. It dhouldnt matter how long you habe been on the team. If you are best at the position and can make plays, you play. Plain and simple. Freshmrn will habe their moments. But you give them the chance to work through it. Look at how Jimbo handeled his freshman QB Sat. With all that being said, if Mullen doesnt want to be here, get the 17 out. Put a interm head coach in the spot and play the ones who need to play and get on the phone for a new coach. This could be a very good yr to get younger guys experince in SEC games. Also tho, as of right now, we are 0-0 in the SEC. If this team come together and someone stepped up and took control, it could still be a good yr for us. It isnt over yet...

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm just going to have to see it play out. There are too many variables.

I can handle a bad year so long as it's a wakeup call, we get Kaeyton Thompson in, & the train moves forward.

Gonna have to see how the rest of this season evolves. Really the team's record IMO is secondary to the direction the team's leadership, evolution of roles, development of players, & how the team sets up going into next season.

This decision should be made off of what will happen in the next 3 years compared to what happens this season. You pay people for what they will do, not what they have done

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2016, 08:56 AM
It was another person that posts here that told me this so I hate to steal his thunder, but he mentioned to me this morning that Paul Jones interviewed a couple players who emphatically stated that Mullen has not lost his fire or quit. To the contrary they said he has knocked their dick in the dirt at practice this week and has been yelling and screaming. To me, that is good news. What would be bad news is if he still trots out the same less talented players because they are upper classmen. I hope that report is true because I hate to think he has given up on us which I quite honestly had decided he had done up until hearing this.

I think that is why this game and the rest of the season performance is critical. Dan used up his credit with me with his "meh, 50% of teams lost this weekend" BS. If he had said, "we blew it. we showed no heart and no leadership - from the top down. I have a week to fix that" I would not have an attitude about this. IF this is turned around and progress is shown - then I may give Dan some credit back in the bank. But, that mother****er better not be job hunting again this offseason.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 08:57 AM
Does a doctor get to botch a few surgeries every now and then because they've performed so many successful ones? Does a lawyer get to lose a case every now and then because he's won so many? No. Dan hasn't "earned" anything except his $4 million paycheck. Although he doesn't have other people's lives in his hands like doctors and lawyers, he should still strive for excellence. No matter what your career is, you should strive to be the best you can be. Nick Saban is only satisfied with a natty for 24 hours. Then it's on to the next one.

Actually the answer to your first two questions is probably yes.

youraveragesavage
09-07-2016, 08:57 AM

One of the players said he actually came in the locker room and apologized. Told the team he let them down. Fred Ross said he's been rough on them in practice the past few days. Donald gray said the older guys have really been pushing the younger. This team will be fine IF we can get decent qb play. Saturday night will tell the story of where we are.

fishwater99
09-07-2016, 08:59 AM

He quit on us after the 2014 Bama loss. He checked out and now he needs to get out.

msstate7
09-07-2016, 08:59 AM

Can't be true bc Mullen doesn't even attend practice anymore. He just jogs or hangs out at the country club**

I seen it dawg
09-07-2016, 09:02 AM

I don't have any faith that the players interviewed have any idea what it means to get their dick knocked in the dirt or get yelled at

Dawgtini
09-07-2016, 09:08 AM
has earned the right to have a very bad year and keep his job?? On one side he did have us at number one two years ago for a month. He also has taken us to many bowls games consecutive years. On the other side he seems disengaged, a lazy recruiter, and seems to desire to be somewhere else. I would like to hear your thoughts either way.
The first part of your list is composed with facts. The second part is purely speculation. While the second part may be true, it is certainly the opinion of the message board hive mind.

With that said, I can only look at the facts and I have to say yeah - he has earned the right to have a chance to turn things around after a bad year.

lamont
09-07-2016, 09:09 AM
So the next question is how much are you guys kicking in on the buy out since apparently we don't have it in the budget?

The Foundation and private donors pay most of the buyout. The School only pays a small part of it. The money is there if necessary

msstate7
09-07-2016, 09:10 AM
The Foundation and private donors pay most of the buyout. The School only pays a small part of it. The money is there if necessary

The ones that actually have to cut the check may have a different idea of "necessary" than most the fans here

Johnson85
09-07-2016, 09:13 AM

He's absolutely earned the right to have a very bad year and keep his job. If he's fired this year (which I think is extremely, extremely unlikely), it won't be because of his record. He could go 4-8 this year and his seat not even be hot next year if he kept the appearance of being fully committed to the job. That would mean showing a little more gratitude to the school and donors (in my experience he's pretty good with fans; I think he must respond poorly when it's fans who give enough to legitimately get input in the program that he doesn't like), no openly shopping for jobs, being demanding of his longer term assistants, being more committed to recruiting, etc. But unfortunately a lot of this is spilled milk at this point and he burned a lot of good will unnecessarily.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't have any faith that the players interviewed have any idea what it means to get their dick knocked in the dirt or get yelled at

You may be dead on right. I'm just looking for something, anything to give me some hope we aren't about to be staring at a 2-10 season.

Liverpooldawg
09-07-2016, 09:16 AM
One of the players said he actually came in the locker room and apologized. Told the team he let them down. Fred Ross said he's been rough on them in practice the past few days. Donald gray said the older guys have really been pushing the younger. This team will be fine IF we can get decent qb play. Saturday night will tell the story of where we are.

That is as it should be. That is good news.

I seen it dawg
09-07-2016, 09:17 AM
You may be dead on right. I'm just looking for something, anything to give me some hope we aren't about to be staring at a 2-10 season.

I hear you. I'm still not able to get over Saturday which is troubling me. Usually I can put one away and get ready for the next one but I'm still pissed about that horseshit Saturday. Mullen needs to do a 180 this Saturday night.

I seen it dawg
09-07-2016, 09:20 AM

He's apologized because he's getting his ass roasted. It's self-serving and doesn't change the last couple of years of not holding his cronies accountable and shopping himself and not recruiting and so on and so on and so on. I don't buy him just apologizing and changing. Will see Saturday night I guess but I got no faith.

mic
09-07-2016, 09:31 AM
He's apologized because he's getting his ass roasted. It's self-serving and doesn't change the last couple of years of not holding his cronies accountable and shopping himself and not recruiting and so on and so on and so on. I don't buy him just apologizing and changing. Will see Saturday night I guess but I got no faith.

And it's just not about the game this weekend. I want to see it till the end of November..
just amazing a coach and players can't be ready to play game ****ing one of the season.

MadDawg
09-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Yep. Been trying to tell folks that. I was told I was being lied to because people wanted to keep their jobs. Folks don't like their narrative being challenged. Just ask Bucky.

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Been thinking on this one and have to say - I disagree that he has "earned" the right to have a very bad year that includes losing to USA.

dawgs
09-07-2016, 10:02 AM
The first part of your list is composed with facts. The second part is purely speculation. While the second part may be true, it is certainly the opinion of the message board hive mind.

With that said, I can only look at the facts and I have to say yeah - he has earned the right to have a chance to turn things around after a bad year.

No the lazy recruiting is a fact. I have never seen a team be #1 for 5 weeks and have the best player in the history of the program (who just dominated NFL preseason headlines and is about to be 1 of 2 rookie starting QBs in week 1) not get a recruiting bump. If anything our recruiting has been WORSE. Last recruiting cycle was a ****ing disaster, no ifs ands or buts about it. I had to mute the ****ing ole miss game because I got sick and ****ing tired of hearing about aj brown being from Starkville and the constant fellatio of freeze for pulling him. I don't give a shit if the paid him, Dan should've had a relationship built with the kid that didn't appear to be there (like Chris jones a few years before). If he said OM made an offer he couldn't refuse, we should've either upped it or walked straight to the NCAA office, because we either play the ****ing recruiting game or we rain hell on the ones blatantly cheating to take recruits from us, because not playing the game and watching everyone else get away with it is just getting us left behind and costing dan his job.

Yes I'm aware the NCAA is after OM now, but the should've been after then years ago, and we should've been feeding them info and evidence from the start if we are going to stay on our high horse when it comes to crootin.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't think earned is the correct word in this case as he has been compensated for his job, but I think that with his success there has been a lot invested by a lot of people in him running the program. I don't think MSU fans are expecting anything unrealistic in terms of success. The majority want to beat the teams we're expected to, be competitive in SEC games, and every now and then threaten for the west. The loss to USA was shocking and a lot of people were counting that as a win in a season that we knew were weren't going to make a run in the SEC, so yeah people are freakin pissed off. It's put us behind the 8 ball and unless we pull an upset, that bowl streak is going to end. It's also been said that the football staff knew this was a transition year and that they're expecting a big run next year, but I just don't see where their optimism is coming from.

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 10:07 AM
I don't think earned is the correct word in this case as he has been compensated for his job, but I think that with his success there has been a lot invested by a lot of people in him running the program. I don't think MSU fans are expecting anything unrealistic in terms of success. The majority want to beat the teams we're expected to, be competitive in SEC games, and every now and then threaten for the west. The loss to USA was shocking and a lot of people were counting that as a win in a season that we knew were weren't going to make a run in the SEC, so yeah people are freakin pissed off. It's put us behind the 8 ball and unless we pull an upset, that bowl streak is going to end. It's also been said that the football staff knew this was a transition year and that they're expecting a big run next year, but I just don't see where their optimism is coming from.

I don't either but, if you're gonna expect next year to be a big year, then put the guys that will be playing next year on the field A LOT this year.

dawgs
09-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Yep we aren't gonna be better next year giving all the reps to less talented upper classmen. At least get the talent on the field and let them take their lumps.

Taog Redloh
09-07-2016, 10:36 AM
I agree. Unless it's total disaster, blowouts galore, etc. Hard to put a number on it, but I think it'll be evident at the end.

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Of course if he did put the guys that will be playing next year on the field a lot this year, then he wouldn't have the "young team" excuse next year.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 10:47 AM

They know what this means because Bama does it to them every year.

Dawgtini
09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
No the lazy recruiting is a fact. I have never seen a team be #1 for 5 weeks and have the best player in the history of the program (who just dominated NFL preseason headlines and is about to be 1 of 2 rookie starting QBs in week 1) not get a recruiting bump. If anything our recruiting has been WORSE. Last recruiting cycle was a ****ing disaster, no ifs ands or buts about it. I had to mute the ****ing ole miss game because I got sick and ****ing tired of hearing about aj brown being from Starkville and the constant fellatio of freeze for pulling him. I don't give a shit if the paid him, Dan should've had a relationship built with the kid that didn't appear to be there (like Chris jones a few years before). If he said OM made an offer he couldn't refuse, we should've either upped it or walked straight to the NCAA office, because we either play the ****ing recruiting game or we rain hell on the ones blatantly cheating to take recruits from us, because not playing the game and watching everyone else get away with it is just getting us left behind and costing dan his job.

Yes I'm aware the NCAA is after OM now, but the should've been after then years ago, and we should've been feeding them info and evidence from the start if we are going to stay on our high horse when it comes to crootin.

See, all of that stuff that you wrote is your opinion. Should've been, could've been, yada yada. We (or at least I) don't know the truth. I heard a rumor that AJ's dad met with Mullen and demanded cash and a payment plan and Mullen gave him some tough love. Is it true?? You would have wanted Mullen to flagrantly cheat so you could feel better that we didn't lose a Starksville kid?

The truth and the facts are out there. I too wish we had top 10 classes every year and that we put 25 players into the NFL each year. I wish Mullen was more "chummy" and "charming" and "southern" when he speaks to the media. But he hasn't said anything that isn't true and I have to believe he knows a whole lot more about football and our players than I do.

Political Hack
09-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Typically I would agree, but he allowed it to come to this when everyone else close to the program saw the warning signs.

If we have a 2-4 win season, he's got to go.

I_Spy
09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
I think Dan overall is a good coach. I would like to see him be more aggressive at times when our offense goes to zero production for a whole quarter or more. I believe we do have talented players defensively who will come through. Many of Dans losses have been where we could have won so ..if we just did a lik more before ...but yet kick wins are apart of football. I do believe Nick can play better, the D is talented if not solid yet and graves is a solid kicker.
We will see.

Bama hasn't been close. But Lee I think almost best lsu way back, I hope we find a way to win this year. We should have won last year. It's mainly Bama is never close close. Or dig out the gutter type game.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Typically I would agree, but he allowed it to come to this when everyone else close to the program saw the warning signs.

Completely agree.

blacklistedbully
09-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Can't be true bc Mullen doesn't even attend practice anymore. He just jogs or hangs out at the country club**

Spoken like a UNM fan. Don't like the other side's opinion? Overstate their position and ridicule that...or go full "straw-man" and make it up entirely.

Not accusing you of being an OM troll, but you sure as hell posted like one above.

blacklistedbully
09-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Yep. Been trying to tell folks that. I was told I was being lied to because people wanted to keep their jobs. Folks don't like their narrative being challenged. Just ask Bucky.

Don't overstate it. You made reference to some players & coaches saying this, and I merely pointed out those folks are reliant on Dan for playing time or careers.

I didn't say you were being "lied to", I simply was suggesting you should consider the source and possible motivation, and take it with a grain of salt.

msstate7
09-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Spoken like a UNM fan. Don't like the other side's opinion? Overstate their position and ridicule that...or go full "straw-man" and make it up entirely.

Not accusing you of being an OM troll, but you sure as hell posted like one above.

I must be a troll bc I don't follow the herd mentality here.

5 days ago this board was singing mullen's praise... We'll never have to worry about qb play under Mullen and look at all the nfl qb's Mullen has coached... Then an inexplicable loss (a terrible, terrible loss), now Mullen is an idiot. Mullen has to be fired. Mullen doesn't manage qb's right etc...

MadDawg
09-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Of course if he did put the guys that will be playing next year on the field a lot this year, then he wouldn't have the "young team" excuse next year.

You are right. He would have the excuse THIS YEAR. And you guys would crucify him for it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 01:39 PM
You are right. He would have the excuse THIS YEAR. And you guys would crucify him for it.

He's already using that excuse THIS YEAR

Dawgtini
09-07-2016, 01:40 PM

5 days ago this board was singing mullen's praise... We'll never have to worry about qb play under Mullen and look at all the nfl qb's Mullen has coached... Then an inexplicable loss (a terrible, terrible loss), now Mullen is an idiot. Mullen has to be fired. Mullen doesn't manage qb's right etc...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

blacklistedbully
09-07-2016, 01:44 PM

Certainly not when our schedule includes:
USA
Samford
A very bad SCar
UK
BYU
A struggling (on offense) Auburn at home
UPig replacing key players
aTm replacing key players
UNM replacing O-line and several key defensive players.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2016, 01:55 PM

I agree. I really want Dan to be our guy it if we have that kinda season changes have to be made. My grandfather used to say when it's nut cuttin time you find out who's got em and who ain't, you can fight or you can lose em. It's nut cuttin time for Dan. If he responds he's our man if not time to move on. It does happen in this business.

Cloak
09-07-2016, 02:05 PM

^ Exactly. With him as head coach we've reached unprecedented heights that no school in Mississippi has ever reached. If he has a down year and is still coaching with the same fire and intensity that brought us to those heights, then he deserves to stay. If he's down and is giving a shitty attitude, then he has to go. Good to hear that he's "knocked their dick in the dirt" at practice. Maybe he does still have that edge.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 02:33 PM

And 5 days ago this board was also concerned about Holloway up the middle, trying to make Shump into a TB, Dear not getting touches, rotation at the DC spot, Mullen shopping around in the off season, lack of recruiting etc....the loss to USA just opened the flood gates. All that said, I think we're all still in shock because Mullen has never shown that he didn't have a team ready and with everything else combined, it's worrisome. My opinion of Mullen as an offensive mind hasn't changed, but I do think his results will suffer this year due to poor QB play and an average line. I can accept that after losing Dak, but we have got to get a QB ready to be the next guy to take the reins.

blacklistedbully
09-08-2016, 11:35 AM

And there you go again. You are a complete head-in-the-sand moron if you don't think there was significant criticism of Mullen prior to the USA debacle.

Few, if any are calling Mullen an "idiot". We've accused him of being soft...of not giving a damn... of mismanaging personnel...of poor clock management, etc., but not of being an idiot.

He's been accused of making a poor decision on QB playing time for the USA game. Are you suggesting this was not the case??? In any case... his USA QB choices did not result in people saying, "Dan doesn't manage QB's right". He didn't Saturday, but that doesn't make it a blanket statement.

You are 100% FOS. Anybody who continues to use straw-man tactics to "win" an argument is a mental midget, lacking in integrity.

Oh, and you go WAY beyond not having "herd mentality". You have to ridicule others who don't agree with you...all the while congratulating yourself on what an "enlightened, independent thinker" you apparently consider yourself.

Posters like you are rarely worthy of the time wasted to engage, because you so easily distort the facts in a failed attempt to tout your point.

Here's a thought....why don't you man-the-****-up and stop putting words in people's mouths they didn't say? Why don't you try to stick to the facts, instead of manufacturing some because you're so eager to score points in a debate? Could it be you're incapable of doing it legitimately?

msstate7
09-08-2016, 11:43 AM
And there you go again. You are a complete head-in-the-sand moron if you don't think there was significant criticism of Mullen prior to the USA debacle.

Few, if any are calling Mullen an "idiot". We've accused him of being soft...of not giving a damn... of mismanaging personnel...of poor clock management, etc., but not of being an idiot.

He's been accused of making a poor decision on QB playing time for the USA game. Are you suggesting this was not the case??? In any case... his USA QB choices did not result in people saying, "Dan doesn't manage QB's right". He didn't Saturday, but that doesn't make it a blanket statement.

You are 100% FOS. Anybody who continues to use straw-man tactics to "win" an argument is a mental midget, lacking in integrity.

Oh, and you go WAY beyond not having "herd mentality". You have to ridicule others who don't agree with you...all the while congratulating yourself on what an "enlightened, independent thinker" you apparently consider yourself.

Posters like you are rarely worthy of the time wasted to engage, because you so easily distort the facts in a failed attempt to tout your point.

Here's a thought....why don't you man-the-****-up and stop putting words in people's mouths they didn't say? Why don't you try to stick to the facts, instead of manufacturing some because you're so eager to score points in a debate? Could it be you're incapable of doing it legitimately?

Feel better? I'll try to follow your lead and stop ridiculing others

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Black you initiated him biting back to your post when you slammed his sarcastic post. You know the one that had *** at the end of it. Even people who disagree with his opinion from time to time will take up for him being one of the most respectful and even posters we have on here. Just because he has a different take and was trying to add some sarcasm from a different perspective you decided to bust msstate7. And if you can't go back a see that what he posted HAS been stated by posters on this board since Sat you have issues.

tcdog70
09-08-2016, 11:55 AM
I sat my ass in the hot ass sun till the end and watched that cluster ****. Pissed isn't a strong enough word. To have your whole fan based waiting on the season with baited breath and then knock it out of them with a body blow of epic proportions is what happened. But that being said, I think we can beat SC and still have a good team, but Dan better wake the **** up. This weekend will either wind His ass up or get Us back on course. Boom Mother-****er needs to have His ass whipped, So Dan suck it up and go Back to Coaching with a hard-on.

blacklistedbully
09-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Black you initiated him biting back to your post when you slammed his sarcastic post. You know the one that had *** at the end of it. Even people who disagree with his opinion from time to time will take up for him being one of the most respectful and even posters we have on here. Just because he has a different take and was trying to add some sarcasm from a different perspective you decided to bust msstate7. And if you can't go back a see that what he posted HAS been stated by posters on this board since Sat you have issues.

The sarcasm in the post you reference was sarcastic because he was "sarcastically" acting as if he was saying it. I've been reading all these threads, and had previously asked him to stop with the straw-man BS, which he'd pulled in another thread, I believe.

It's just one of those tactics that really pisses me off because it's so dishonest and it can derail an otherwise interesting debate or exchange of POV's.

I've respectfully disagreed with others here,a nd my initial response to this tactic was much milder. But it's not isolated. I agree mstate7 has been a solid poster, and I'm sure I've given him rep points before. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to call him out if I think he's outta line.

He's been going on a bunch of these threads being strong in his criticism of those who don't agree with his POV on Dan. But hey, I'm ok with that too.

Like I said before, though, attributing words to someone they didn't say in an attempt to ridicule it is lame. mstate7 is better than that.

blacklistedbully
09-08-2016, 12:28 PM
I just re-read my last post to mstate7. It was a bit harsh. Points remain about straw man tactics, but I was pretty shitty in the way I expressed myself.

I apologize.

PS - I choose to blame Dan for that too! ;)

msstate7
09-08-2016, 12:35 PM
I just re-read my last post to mstate7. It was a bit harsh. Points remain about straw man tactics, but I was pretty shitty in the way I expressed myself.

I apologize.

No apology needed. I can take it. I wasn't mad

Political Hack
09-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Awwwww. Y'all are so sweet.

msstate7
09-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Awwwww. Y'all are so sweet.

We're gonna meet Saturday and hug it out haha

Political Hack
09-08-2016, 12:41 PM
On a separate note, Mullen would have to be dead to not be yelling at his players after getting embarrassed in the biggest upset in 5 years, at home, to kick off the season. If you're not pissed about that you have no business coaching pee wee football, much less getting paid $4.5 million in the SEC.

FISHDAWG
09-08-2016, 12:46 PM

no ... MSState7 is and has been a good poster for a while now .... and he typically doesn't get into name calling. It's an opinion and this is a message board for that - if you can't understand that then maybe you should step away for a deep breath

blacklistedbully
09-08-2016, 01:07 PM
no ... MSState7 is and has been a good poster for a while now .... and he typically doesn't get into name calling. It's an opinion and this is a message board for that - if you can't understand that then maybe you should step away for a deep breath

A) As I said, I don't have a problem with people having a different opinion. My gripe was regarding the tactic of attributing remarks to people they didn't make for the sole purpose of ridiculing those remarks in an effort to support a POV. If a message has merit it needn't be "supported" in such a manner.

B) I've already apologized...not for my opinion on the above, but for the childish, angry way in which I conveyed it.

Really Clark?
09-08-2016, 01:26 PM

I apologize.

It's cool and Msstate7 is good to go with the hugs no matter what Sat. We are family. We may not always like each other or agree but dang if we don't love MSU.

RocketDawg
09-08-2016, 01:28 PM
I agree. And this year isn't all that bad yet ... we're 0-1. Granted, we should've won that game easily but those things happen.

drunkernhelldawg
09-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Disagree. We didn't finish the season at that number. We had a chance.

gravedigger
09-08-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm just going to have to see it play out. There are too many variables.

I can handle a bad year so long as it's a wakeup call, we get Kaeyton Thompson in, & the train moves forward.

Gonna have to see how the rest of this season evolves. Really the team's record IMO is secondary to the direction the team's leadership, evolution of roles, development of players, & how the team sets up going into next season.

This decision should be made off of what will happen in the next 3 years compared to what happens this season. You pay people for what they will do, not what they have done

Why is k thompson a better option than the kid who redshirted, performed the best in the spring game and was never given a shot in the usa game?

If Tiano sits through another debacle, I wont.

MSUDawg99
09-08-2016, 03:28 PM

I've heard the same thing now a few times so that gave me a glimmer of hope.

MSUDawg99
09-08-2016, 03:39 PM
My worry is that if Dan does get the ax do we lose all of our good recruits - Kylin Hill, Keytaon Thompson, etc.? And do we lose T. Buck & all the new defensive staff that seem to gel well with the players? I think that's what scares me more than anything.

HancockCountyDog
09-08-2016, 03:59 PM
The biggest problem about giving him a year, is that the schedule is brutal next year. We switch SC at home for UGA in Athens.

I don't know how good BYU will be yet, but the schedule this year is so easy and next year it is rough. If we go 4-8 or 5-7 this year, next year we could be better and still be 5-7.

Also, people are ignoring the personnel losses after this year. I know everyone thinks that every young player on our roster is better than every senior, but here is a secret, they aren't. Which means when we lose most of our DL, most of our OL, Richie, Ross, Holloway, and a few others that are better than our own fans think, that we will be having another rebuilding year, but with a rougher schedule.

So, that means are we willing to have two rebuilding years with Dan? That is the bigger question here.

MadDawg
09-08-2016, 04:03 PM
So, that means are we willing to have two rebuilding years with Dan? That is the bigger question here.

And to me the bigger question is are we willing to begin a 4-5 year rebuilding process with another coach?

HancockCountyDog
09-08-2016, 04:19 PM
And to me the bigger question is are we willing to begin a 4-5 year rebuilding process with another coach?

A good coach would have us bowl eligible and upgrade our recruiting no later than 2018. Lets not be dramatic.

The bears were an absolute dumpster fire when freezus took over. They went to a bowl in their first year and beat the shit out of us. You can't tell me that if we hire the right coach, that we couldn't do the same damn thing.

MSUDawg99
09-08-2016, 05:22 PM
A good coach would have us bowl eligible and upgrade our recruiting no later than 2018. Lets not be dramatic.

The bears were an absolute dumpster fire when freezus took over. They went to a bowl in their first year and beat the shit out of us. You can't tell me that if we hire the right coach, that we couldn't do the same damn thing.

No we beat them Freezus' first year. We won 3 straight EB's in a row.

Goldendawg
09-08-2016, 05:40 PM
How many of our starters on this team would start for other teams in the SEC West, especially in the OL, at CB, and would Williams start or get significant snaps at QB? Our recruiting has killed us and constant turnover of Asst. Coaches except buddies. One poster stated that we have only about 9 players left from the 2013 recruiting class. Finding and developing a diamond in the rough in one thing, depending on too many to pan out is something else. If Dan did apologize to the players is a good start, now own it and face the fans also for his lack of "relentless effort". Top 25 recruiting class and good coaching helps you stay competitive, but it's still tough when the rest of the West recruits top 10 classes and has good coaches. You can't let up in this league. This looks like the year we won't beat the 4 OCC teams, the teams we're supposed to beat, and get a tossup game or two to win 7 to 8 games and I'm still unhappy about not being ready for Bama and UNM. 2-10 will be tough to stomach after #1 too short years ago and not building on it at all.

IMissJack
09-08-2016, 05:48 PM
He needs to show me that he 1)wants to be here, 2)Will do what it takes to win, starting with staff.

Goldendawg
09-08-2016, 06:02 PM
I agree, IMssJack. The mistakes of the past are here and we will pay for them. Bring back the intensity of the first 5 years, play the best players, put them in a position to succeed, and make all staff accountable.

Dolphus Raymond
09-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Until last Saturday, I would have said yes. Now, I just don't know. That gut-wrenching debacle that occurred against USA has left an extremely sour taste in my mouth. If DM can right the ship and finish 6-6 then yes, he gets another year.
Friends, compliments of the NCAA, we are more than likely about to be given a gift that we CAN'T ALLOW TO BE SQUANDERED. The gift is the opportunity to ensure that the Ole Miss football program will lose all relevance for a decade. Once the sanctions come down, it is imperative that MSU has ALL its ducks in a row to ensure we take full advantage of the rain of turds that looks to be about to fall on our friends to the north. We MUST have a coach that is going to take the bull by the balls and get it done. Does DM have what it takes? If not, he has to go.

lamont
09-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Mullen didnt need 4-5 years to rebuild. Why would the next coach? Are we that void of talent? If we are- then Mullen needs to be fired today

lamont
09-08-2016, 06:40 PM
No we beat them Freezus' first year. We won 3 straight EB's in a row.

We did win 3 EB's in a row- but Freezus beat Mullen his 1st year. Freezus is 3-1 vs Mullen

Treemydawg
09-08-2016, 08:01 PM
I agree. I really want Dan to be our guy it if we have that kinda season changes have to be made. My grandfather used to say when it's nut cuttin time you find out who's got em and who ain't, you can fight or you can lose em. It's nut cuttin time for Dan. If he responds he's our man if not time to move on. It does happen in this business.
^^^^ best post of the year.

MSUDawg99
09-08-2016, 08:12 PM
We did win 3 EB's in a row- but Freezus beat Mullen his 1st year. Freezus is 3-1 vs Mullen

I was off on my timeline. I thought we beat them 10, 11, 12 but it was 9, 10, 11. Sorry.

BayouDawg
09-08-2016, 09:30 PM

I think it's just solid qb play was something we always thought we could count on with Dan. Dan's got some issues like letting Hevesy get away with minimal effort, meddling in the defense, and several more. It was easier to live with those issues when we knew Dan was atleast going to field a competent qb. I mean we had atleast a competent offense with Tyson Lee at qb. But then Saturday happened and we had a qb that couldn't throw it beyond 10 yards down the field, and our offense now looks like a poor man's Hal Mumme.