PDA

View Full Version : Just talked to a work colleague

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Who's a Notre Dame fan. The conversation started by him asking me if I'd been to South Alabama lately LOL. Then he started critiquing NDs loss to Texas. From there he complained about the 3.2 mill Kelly makes for "such a performance". I asked him to guess what Dan makes and he said "around $750K. When I told him what Dan makes, he couldn't believe it.

Which school do you think is the biggest pressure cooker?

HSVDawg
09-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Who's a Notre Dame fan. The conversation started by him asking me if I'd been to South Alabama lately LOL. Then he started critiquing NDs loss to Texas. From there he complained about the 3.2 mill Kelly makes for "such a performance". I asked him to guess what Dan makes and he said "around $750K. When I told him what Dan makes, he couldn't believe it.

Which school do you think is the biggest pressure cooker?

It's hard to believe that Kelly only makes $3.2 million. However, ND has always been one of those schools that expects every coach in the country to salivate at the possibility of coaching there. Thus, they have never thrown a ton of money at coaches. Michigan was the same way before they finally woke up and saw what it was going to take to get Harbaugh. I think Lloyd Carr was only making something like $1.2 million when he was run off, and he had a NC on his resume.

All that being said, ND is the bigger pressure cooker by far. We might be able to miss a bowl and keep Dan. Anything less than 8-4 and ND would think hard about canning Kelly.

lamont
09-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Dan Mullen is the 16th or 17th highest paid coach in the country

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 09:07 AM

And if ND, one of the blue bloods of college fb, won't pay their coach $4 mill/year, then Mullen doesn't have a prayer of making that anywhere else. He's at State until his contract ends or he's fired.

AusTexDawg
09-07-2016, 09:15 AM
Not sure what the vintage is for this salary list (looks like the 2015-2016 school year): http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Per this list, Mark Stoops is making more than what your buddy says Brian Kelly is making. With a few exceptions, overall coaching salaries are out of whack, but especially in the SEC.

msstate7
09-07-2016, 09:20 AM

Where does he rank in the sec west?

ILOATHEBears
09-07-2016, 09:20 AM

The way I feel about that is we should consistently be ranked in the top 16 and be a top 16 recruitor to match our effort back to him. This won't happen with him. He is grossly overpaid for what we get

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-07-2016, 09:26 AM
COACH TEAM SALARY
1. Nick Saban Alabama $7.09 million
2. Kevin Sumlin Texas A&M $5 million
3. Hugh Freeze Ole Miss $4.7 million#
4. Les Miles LSU $4.39 million
5. Gus Malzahn Auburn $4.35 million
6. Jim McElwain Florida $4.25 million
7. Butch Jones Tennessee $4.13 million
8. Bret Bielema Arkansas $4.06 million
9. Dan Mullen Mississippi State $4 million^
10. Kirby Smart Georgia $3.75 million
11. Mark Stoops Kentucky $3.5 million
12. Will Muschamp South Carolina $3.0 million
13. Barry Odom Missouri $2.35 million

*Based on media reports detailing pay for 2016 as well as 2015 salary data according to the USA Today database.

^Dan Mullen’s contract, which he signed prior to the 2015 season, pays him an average of $4.275 million per year; he made $4 million in 2015, but media reports did not detail how much his salary would increase per year.

#Hugh Freeze’s contract will average $4.925 million per season for four years with a raise of $150,000 per season.

Jack Lambert
09-07-2016, 09:31 AM
You need to tell him until ND joins a conference they will never be anything again.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 09:32 AM
How would you like to be lsu and auburn

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 09:41 AM
How would you like to be lsu and auburn

I would prefer to be Florida.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 09:43 AM
I would prefer to be Florida.
Actually I would be suicidal if I was A&M

Apoplectic
09-07-2016, 09:44 AM
The way I feel about that is we should consistently be ranked in the top 16 and be a top 16 recruitor to match our effort back to him. This won't happen with him. He is grossly overpaid for what we get

bingo
bingo
bingo

MSU is doing their part and fans are doing their part - mullen is overpayed and he knows it. SEC gives him every game on tv, more exposure than any other conference, and any new building/weight room he asks for. How in the hell do you then lose to a sun belt team? No excuse!!!!!

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 09:46 AM

Miles somewhat deserves it for past accomplishments. Malzahn may too ... (since he orchestrated the Cam deal). Not sure what Sumlin has done yet.

fishwater99
09-07-2016, 09:48 AM
bingo
bingo
bingo

MSU is doing their part and fans are doing their part - mullen is overpayed and he knows it. SEC gives him every game on tv, more exposure than any other conference, and any new building/weight room he asks for. How in the hell do you then lose to a sun belt team? No excuse!!!!!

Dan can't leave MSU to get a pay raise, the job is not there for him. He found that out last year. We will have to fire his ass, he won't leave on his own.

GreenheadDawg

Let that ****ing sink in people. He just lost to USA. Incredible

Tbonewannabe

Not the results I would want for $5M. It will be interesting if Herman goes there next year. A&M has enough money to pay to get him.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Miles somewhat deserves it for past accomplishments. Malzahn may too ... (since he orchestrated the Cam deal). Not sure what Sumlin has done yet.

Malzahn also coached in the National Title game with Marshall.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Dan can't leave MSU to get a pay raise, the job is not there for him. He found that out last year. We will have to fire his ass, he won't leave on his own.

Until he beats Bama or takes us to Atlanta, he isn't going to get a job at one of the big boys. Miami is no longer a big time program like it once was and it seems he was willing to leave for it. I doubt he would have gotten a raise to go there.

mic
09-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Let that ****ing sink in people. He just lost to USA. Incredible

Even if we won the game it doesn't matter.. The bigger issue is the CCB and CDM not all in here..

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Malzahn also coached in the National Title game with Marshall.

Yes he did. I said before this year while I tend to believe he has somewhat of a train wreck over there and Aub shouldn't be that good, when you're counting him out he will jump up and bite you. So I wasn't counting that as a sure win for us as some were doing before the season.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Yes he did. I said before this year while I tend to believe he has somewhat of a train wreck over there and Aub shouldn't be that good, when you're counting him out he will jump up and bite you. So I wasn't counting that as a sure win for us as some were doing before the season.

I think part of Malzahn's problem is growing pains as the head guy. He seems to have figured out you can't run Offense and Defense so he gave up Defense to a good coordinator. He has also had locker room issues so it will be interesting to see if he gets that fixed. That was the actual downfall of Jackie. You get a cancer in the locker room and the team will more than likely fall apart.

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 10:10 AM
I think part of Malzahn's problem is growing pains as the head guy. He seems to have figured out you can't run Offense and Defense so he gave up Defense to a good coordinator. He has also had locker room issues so it will be interesting to see if he gets that fixed. That was the actual downfall of Jackie. You get a cancer in the locker room and the team will more than likely fall apart.

Dan needs to take lessons on this from Gus then, if that's the case (about running the O and D).

msstate7
09-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Dan needs to take lessons on this from Gus then, if that's the case (about running the O and D).

If you like Gus so much, he'll probably be available in December

Really Clark?
09-07-2016, 10:18 AM

I agree. I will say about 95% of all the locker rooms I've been around have a cancer or more already. It's about keeping it contained or cutting it out altogether. Mullen does a good job with that, he also targets high character guys for the most part. I think Malzhan has had major problems understanding that talent doesn't always overcome the cancer factor of a player. It's a sliding scale, the bigger the head case the bigger talent he has to be, by at least double. But at some point the talent doesn't overcome the headache. He has had to cut some of them out the last few years.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 10:20 AM

Oddly enough, I think lack of a QB is going to be Gus's downfall. He seems like the Defense is playing a lot better. 6-6 with a bowl game probably isn't good enough for AU.

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Ha! Not a Gus fan, so not interested. Just saying Dan need to work almost exclusively on offensive production and special teams right now. Let Sirmon and Co. run the D.

TUSK
09-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Oddly enough, I think lack of a QB is going to be Gus's downfall. He seems like the Defense is playing a lot better. 6-6 with a bowl game probably isn't good enough for AU.

AU's DL are straight up GROWN MEN; they are going to rape some OLmen this year... Unfortunately, their O is going to hang them out to dry a la OM vs FSU....