PDA

View Full Version : David Murray on OOB

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Murray says Mullen has earned the right to have a down season after 8 years without a bad loss and even if this season tanks, he won't be fired. He says that we don't have the money to buy him out because the SEC money has already been committed. The only way Mullen leaves after this year is if someone comes in and offers him a better job.

civildawg
09-07-2016, 08:04 AM
I know for a 100% fact that money will not be an issue on the buy out if we were to tank and fire him. This came from the horses mouth.

I want to add that it is a shame that a veteran journalist that has been in the program for decades does not have the correct info and goes on a statewide radio show saying a lie but a regular joe like me does.

Jack Lambert
09-07-2016, 08:04 AM
I don't listen to that show.

thf24
09-07-2016, 08:20 AM
I know for a 100% fact that money will not be an issue on the buy out if we were to tank and fire him. This came from the horses mouth.

I find it hard to believe that we'd instantly pony up to fire a coach with his first potential losing season in seven years but haven't gotten the baseball stadium paid for going on year three.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-07-2016, 08:25 AM
I find it hard to believe that we'd instantly pony up to fire a coach with his first potential losing season in seven years but haven't gotten the baseball stadium paid for going on year three.

This. If we fired him today we'd owe him roughly $12 million. Doesn't make sense to pay a guy $12 million to go away after 7 straight winning seasons. Next year is a different story.

civildawg
09-07-2016, 08:25 AM
What are you talking about? The baseball stadium renovation will start after this season.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2016, 08:26 AM
I do find it interesting how adamant & confident Bo is about how Mullen is coaching for his job the rest of the season.

The reason I say this is because Bo is usually measured on these types of things & has in the past called it ludicrous to think Mullen's job wasn't safe.

It's clear to me that Bo must have good sources on this & has been talking to some big boosters that David Murray probably doesn't have access to.

I also think it's important to remember that Mullen's job is not on the line due to what happened Saturday. Mullen's job is on the line due to looking for jobs every off season, not recruiting well, losing recruiting in the Golden Triangle, losing to Ole Miss 2 straight, etc.... it's accumulative.

GreenheadDawg
09-07-2016, 08:27 AM

A lot of you are missing the point. It's not the fact that he lost to USA or that he will have a losing record this year. It's the direction the program is now headed. If you to be either blind or stupid to not see that we are at a crossroads. Mullen has been looking for a better opportunity for atleast 2 years now and he doesn't want to be here. He's going through the motions. I would 100% agree that he deserves a chance to turn it around if his heart was in Starkville. But it's not, he genuinely does not want to be here. It's written all over his face

thf24
09-07-2016, 08:28 AM
What are you talking about? The baseball stadium renovation will start after this season.

The entire project as initially announced is paid for? Doesn't mean they can't start.

A lot of you are missing the point. It's not the fact that he lost to USA or that he will have a losing record this year. It's the direction the program is now headed. If you to be either blind or stupid to not see that we are at a crossroads. Mullen has been looking for a better opportunity for atleast 2 years now and he doesn't want to be here. He's going through the motions. I would 100% agree that he deserves a chance to turn it around if his heart was in Starkville. But it's not, he genuinely does not want to be here. It's written all over his face

Let's wait and see if he still doesn't want to be here by the end of this season. This may be the season he realizes the grass isn't always greener. What if we'd fired Jackie when he was struggling and shopping himself for other jobs?

civildawg
09-07-2016, 08:34 AM
I have no idea about the specifics of the baseball funding, but I just find it really hard to believe that you will start tearing down the baseball stadium without having the money to finish it. It will be a two year process so if they dont have it all, they still have another year or so to get the rest.

I'm just saying that they buyout money is not a problem. They have a fund for that.

Mjoelner34
09-07-2016, 08:35 AM

As 'mic' posted yesterday, since the last week we were ranked #1, we are 10-8. Granted, that's two FG away from being 12-6 but, in reality its still 10-8. Looks like we're on the fast track to being a .500 team (or worse).

RougeDawg
09-07-2016, 08:40 AM
This. If we fired him today we'd owe him roughly $12 million. Doesn't make sense to pay a guy $12 million to go away after 7 straight winning seasons. Next year is a different story.

He only has 2 years remaining after this season. We didn't extend for this very reason. And because we didn't extend and meet his demand of $5mil a year he pouted all off season and showed up to the opening game in f*cking shorts. If you had heard what happened in off season it's pretty apparent he's sticking this season to Strick and Keenum for not caving to his demands.

Apoplectic
09-07-2016, 08:44 AM
As 'mic' posted yesterday, since the last week we were ranked #1, we are 10-8. Granted, that's two FG away from being 12-6 but, in reality its still 10-8. Looks like we're on the fast track to being a .500 team (or worse).

was thinking the same - since we were ranked #1 every team has improved except us. they've recruited better and been better coached. WTH!!

Taog Redloh
09-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Every rational-minded fan understands the reality of this.

msstate7
09-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Every rational-minded fan understands the reality of this.

Unfortunately, rational-mindness isn't a common trait here. We're wanting to fire our most successful coach ever after 1 game.

Dawgology
09-07-2016, 08:52 AM
He only has 2 years remaining after this season. We didn't extend for this very reason. And because we didn't extend and meet his demand of $5mil a year he pouted all off season and showed up to the opening game in f*cking shorts. If you had heard what happened in off season it's pretty apparent he's sticking this season to Strick and Keenum for not caving to his demands.

What the hell happened in the off season that you keep referring to??

lamont
09-07-2016, 09:00 AM
He will only have 2 years remaining on his contract come December. We will owe him between 6-7 million if we fire him.

If we feel that move has to be made- the money will be there.

Political Hack
09-07-2016, 09:10 AM
I disagree on the buyout. It can be done if needed. Murray is speculating there and he's wrong.

AROB44
09-07-2016, 09:12 AM
I think it is hilarious the bitching going on about him wearing shorts. What the 17 does that have to do with winning and losing? Sort of like the uniform complaints. Got to be looking for something to bitch about.....which is pretty common on here.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Unfortunately, rational-mindness isn't a common trait here. We're wanting to fire our most successful coach ever after 1 game.

Thinking about new potential coaches is a lot more fun than thinking about the loss to South Alabama. Mullen can definitely redeem himself it just doesn't look very promising right now.

msstate7
09-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Thinking about new potential coaches is a lot more fun than thinking about the loss to South Alabama. Mullen can definitely redeem himself it just doesn't look very promising right now.
Haha... That's true. I do think we should give him game 2 before naming his replacement though

MadDawg
09-07-2016, 09:21 AM

I want to add that it is a shame that a veteran journalist that has been in the program for decades does not have the correct info and goes on a statewide radio show saying a lie but a regular joe like me does.

LMAO

TUSK
09-07-2016, 09:22 AM

LSU said the same thing...

If not for the current state of financial affairs in LA, that ~$30 Mil check woulda been scratched out with the quickness and the Tiger fanbase wouldn't still be on suicide watch....

Gawd, I hope Les goes 12-2 this year...

StoneDawg
09-07-2016, 09:25 AM
He lost one game.

Joe Schmedlap
09-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Absolutely on point.

32 Dive
09-07-2016, 09:36 AM
To hell with the buyout. Why not put the money into the network... :confused:

bobcat91
09-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Our fanbase is clueless on most things. Mullen isn't going anywhere during this season and the coaching search stuff is silly. If he wins five games or so, the fans will be pissed, but he will be back unless he finds another job. Bo Bounds is one of the most uninformed guys there is. He talks like he has sources, but it is only what he reads from the CL site. The Scout bunch are jokes and if not for Rosebowl finally coming out of his Rip Van Winkle slumber and having a source on the UM investigation, they would still be considered the armpits they are in MSU coverage.

Political Hack
09-07-2016, 09:43 AM
He lost one game.

We've only played one game. Looking at 100% of the sample, most people are convinced his team isn't that good.

NeshobaChuck
09-07-2016, 09:44 AM

Exactly I wanna know what this guy knows

fishwater99
09-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Our fanbase is clueless on most things. Mullen isn't going anywhere during this season and the coaching search stuff is silly. If he wins five games or so, the fans will be pissed, but he will be back unless he finds another job. Bo Bounds is one of the most uninformed guys there is. He talks like he has sources, but it is only what he reads from the CL site. The Scout bunch are jokes and if not for Rosebowl finally coming out of his Rip Van Winkle slumber and having a source on the UM investigation, they would still be considered the armpits they are in MSU coverage.

Who the Hell is going to hire him for $4.5 million per year? Dan isn't going anywhere.

bobcat91
09-07-2016, 09:53 AM
If he wants out, let him do what a lot of regular folks are doing---take a paycut. But he isn't going anywhere.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 09:57 AM

If he didn't get an extension last year wouldn't we only owe him for 2 years after this one? He would only have a 3 year deal coming into this year or am I missing something?

lamont
09-07-2016, 10:00 AM
If he didn't get an extension last year wouldn't we only owe him for 2 years after this one? He would only have a 3 year deal coming into this year or am I missing something?

Exactly. It's around 6-7 million come December- not 12. 2 years left after this season

TrapGame
09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I do find it interesting how adamant & confident Bo is about how Mullen is coaching for his job the rest of the season.

The reason I say this is because Bo is usually measured on these types of things & has in the past called it ludicrous to think Mullen's job wasn't safe.

It's clear to me that Bo must have good sources on this & has been talking to some big boosters that David Murray probably doesn't have access to.

I also think it's important to remember that Mullen's job is not on the line due to what happened Saturday. Mullen's job is on the line due to looking for jobs every off season, not recruiting well, losing recruiting in the Golden Triangle, losing to Ole Miss 2 straight, etc.... it's accumulative.

Exactly. Mullen has been building this shit show instead a focused, disciplined team of highly recruited players. If this were a play we'd be going into the third and final act.

And Bo was saying in early August we'd be lucky to get 6 wins and I thought he was full of shit. He has good sources who have evaluated the team and sources who are close to the Mullen situation. As he said yesterday 4-8 gets you fired at MSU these days not a pat on the back and a "we'll get 'em next year coach."

blacklistedbully
09-07-2016, 10:27 AM
He lost one game.

To a really shitty Sunbelt team that was one of the worst teams vs the run last year and was missing 3 of their D-line starters, and in a game that wasn't a fluke. They beat us.

Not all losses are the same.

On top of that...Dan's post-game communication has been anything but encouraging...anything but indicative of a man accepting his own personal responsibility, with promises of getting it fixed.

As has been discussed as nauseum, Dan was already on thin ice due to his constant apparent willingness to, "whore himself out" every year, which has damaged our recruiting efforts in that time of our history that should have been the stepping-stone, [I]the[I] springboard to further our program...coming off several weeks of #1 ranking.

Stop and think about how rare that was for us. In 115 years of football, we have never been close to that. Yes, Dan was instrumental in getting us there, but his actions have also clearly stunted our ability to fully capitalize on that success via recruiting.

That may well have been our one-shot in our lifetime, possibly ever to take that huge step forward toward becoming a powerhouse. We've seen multiple signs of that slipping away. The loss to USA looks like it might be the final nail-in-the-coffin of that dream.

So no...it is not just that he "lost one game".

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-07-2016, 10:34 AM
To a really shitty Sunbelt team that was one of the worst teams vs the run last year and was missing 3 of their D-line starters, and in a game that wasn't a fluke. They beat us.

Not all losses are the same.

On top of that...Dan's post-game communication has been anything but encouraging...anything but indicative of a man accepting his own personal responsibility, with promises of getting it fixed.

As has been discussed as nauseum, Dan was already on thin ice due to his constant apparent willingness to, "whore himself out" every year, which has damaged our recruiting efforts in that time of our history that should have been the stepping-stone, [I]the[I] springboard to further our program...coming off several weeks of #1 ranking.

Stop and think about how rare that was for us. In 115 years of football, we have never been close to that. Yes, Dan was instrumental in getting us there, but his actions have also clearly stunted our ability to fully capitalize on that success via recruiting.

That may well have been our one-shot in our lifetime, possibly ever to take that huge step forward toward becoming a powerhouse. We've seen multiple signs of that slipping away. The loss to USA looks like it might be the final nail-in-the-coffin of that dream.

So no...it is not just that he "lost one game".

If Mullen has a bad record this season and we get rid of him that will be a sign that we have come a long way as a program recently.

TrapGame
09-07-2016, 10:37 AM

I think in Dan's mind he was #1 not the team. Instead of using that #1 ranking to take the next step for the team he used it to take the next step for himself.

gtowndawg
09-07-2016, 10:43 AM
I remember these exact same discussuons Croom's last season. "He's not going anywhere", "he will get another year", etc. Lol. Same song, different verse. If Dan wins 3 games and gets blown out yet again to Ole Miss, bye, bye. He gone.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Much like Croom it could be a blow out @ Ole Miss that does it.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Exactly. It's around 6-7 million come December- not 12. 2 years left after this season

Right. I don't understand some folks math on here.

HancockCountyDog
09-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Murray says Mullen has earned the right to have a down season after 8 years without a bad loss and even if this season tanks, he won't be fired. He says that we don't have the money to buy him out because the SEC money has already been committed. The only way Mullen leaves after this year is if someone comes in and offers him a better job.

I remember these posts in 2008 when everyone was saying that you can't fire the reigning SEC coach of the year. Get back to me if we go 4-8 and the bears beat us by 30.

BeastMan
09-07-2016, 11:47 AM
I disagree on the buyout. It can be done if needed. Murray is speculating there and he's wrong.

I questioned it before Murray ruled it out. Now I believe it's in play lol. David Murray's articles are unlike anything I've ever read.

Cowboydawg
09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
I questioned it before Murray ruled it out. Now I believe it's in play lol. David Murray's articles are unlike anything I've ever read.

The buyout is not the problem. If we fire Mullen after one losing season we risk setting the program back even further. Look no further than OM firing Cutcliffe after 1 losing season post Eli. You are sending the wrong message to potential coaches out there. Ever wonder why OM had to settle on Orgeron? Because Cutcliffe deserved another season to try and right the ship and everyone realized that but OM. Everyone knew it was going to be a down year after Eli. If they had given Cutcliffe another year and he failed, they would've had an easier time cutting him loose and finding a better replacement.

If we have a losing season and Mullen is bought out, they better have a better guy lined up. Otherwise we get our Orgeron and we are looking at a 5 year rebuild minimum. A lot of fans, coaches, media outside of our fanbase believe Mullen has overachieved here. We believe he has only scratched the surface. But I guarantee you that we will have trouble finding a better coach than what we have if we fire the guy that has led MSU to the best run in school history after one losing season.

So if it's done, the administration better have "the guy" ready to sign the dotted line because a lengthy coaching search will not turn out well.

Coach007
09-07-2016, 12:17 PM

I keep telling you all this.

1- Nobody with power will force him out due to

a- #1 for 5 weeks straight for the 1st time ever.
b- taking an unknown QB, training him. That QB setting records and now as a starter at Dallas in his first year.
c- it being the first year with that leadership gone.

Coach007
09-07-2016, 12:22 PM

What he is talking about is your horse's mouth isn't being truthful!

Red Sox Dawg
09-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Bump

RougeDawg
09-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Cliff notes: he made every attempt to leave, he was either not wanted or passed up. After making every attempt to leave he came back to our admin and demanded outrageous raises for himself, Hev and another assistant, none of which deserved it. He wanted to make Hev 6th highest paid OL coach in college football. Keenum laughed and didn't extend contract after dans antics for 2nd straight year. They didn't cave to his demands for first time since being here and he's been pouting ever since, going through the motions. Indignant to believe it but was slapped in the face by reality by what I sat and baked through saturday.

Hevesy isn't even the 6th best Ol coach in Mississippi and or HC wanted him to get 6th national money. Let this shit sink in. It's all about Dan and his buddies at the moment and they are all pouting. Time to cut bait

Cowboydawg
09-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Cliff notes: he made every attempt to leave, he was either not wanted or passed up. After making every attempt to leave he came back to our admin and demanded outrageous raises for himself, Hev and another assistant, none of which deserved it. He wanted to make Hev 6th highest paid OL coach in college football. Keenum laughed and didn't extend contract after dans antics for 2nd straight year. They didn't cave to his demands for first time since being here and he's been pouting ever since, going through the motions. Indignant to believe it but was slapped in the face by reality by what I sat and baked through saturday.

Hevesy isn't even the 6th best Ol coach in Mississippi and or HC wanted him to get 6th national money. Let this shit sink in. It's all about Dan and his buddies at the moment and they are all pouting. Time to cut bait

Whether intentional or not Mullen is basically holding the program hostage at this point. He has the administration by the balls. If he leaves on his own, he is leaving a lot of money on the table and he is going to take a pay cut. It's not that nobody wants him. Nobody is willing to pay him close to what he makes here. So why leave on his own will?

If he's unhappy and wants out then why not do just enough to get by? Earn the remaining money on his contract and then take the pay cut at the school of his choice. He is simply maximizing his earnings given his options.

So he tanks and we fire him? He gets a nice payout and walks away laughing because he knows the fallout there will be trying to replace the "most successful coach in school history" who MSU just fired.

Mullen is not dumb.

lamont
09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
The buyout is not the problem. If we fire Mullen after one losing season we risk setting the program back even further. Look no further than OM firing Cutcliffe after 1 losing season post Eli. You are sending the wrong message to potential coaches out there. Ever wonder why OM had to settle on Orgeron? Because Cutcliffe deserved another season to try and right the ship and everyone realized that but OM. Everyone knew it was going to be a down year after Eli. If they had given Cutcliffe another year and he failed, they would've had an easier time cutting him loose and finding a better replacement.

If we have a losing season and Mullen is bought out, they better have a better guy lined up. Otherwise we get our Orgeron and we are looking at a 5 year rebuild minimum. A lot of fans, coaches, media outside of our fanbase believe Mullen has overachieved here. We believe he has only scratched the surface. But I guarantee you that we will have trouble finding a better coach than what we have if we fire the guy that has led MSU to the best run in school history after one losing season.

So if it's done, the administration better have "the guy" ready to sign the dotted line because a lengthy coaching search will not turn out well.

I agree that if a move is made- "the guy" better be ready to sign. We just did this in basketball. Looks like we learned our lesson after Stands

I disagree this is a Cut situation. This is more of a Houston Nutt type situation. Coaches look apathetic, more suspensions and arrests starting to surface, glaring holes in recruiting, etc.

gtowndawg
09-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Whether intentional or not Mullen is basically holding the program hostage at this point. He has the administration by the balls. If he leaves on his own, he is leaving a lot of money on the table and he is going to take a pay cut. It's not that nobody wants him. Nobody is willing to pay him close to what he makes here. So why leave on his own will?

If he's unhappy and wants out then why not do just enough to get by? Earn the remaining money on his contract and then take the pay cut at the school of his choice. He is simply maximizing his earnings given his options.

So he tanks and we fire him? He gets a nice payout and walks away laughing because he knows the fallout there will be trying to replace the "most successful coach in school history" who MSU just fired.

Mullen is not dumb.

Completely agree and that's why I'm scared. edited to add: he knows he can tank and be fired and get another chance somewhere. Plenty of others have. Rich Rod, Tubberville, etc. He's essentially holding the cards now and there's nothing we can do but basically get down and beg him to start trying again. Doesn't exactly give you the warm and fuzzies does it?

Political Hack
09-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Mullen is not dumb.

Oh, he's the winner in this no doubt. Getting fired will be a huge blow to his ego, but he'd walk away with a boat load of money thanks mostly to a young man named Dak Prescott.

If I 100% believed he wanted to be here long term and he'd quit playing games, I'd love to see him be our Frank Beamer. But this "courting other opportunities" bullshit has to end. It's an incredible road block down the stretch in recruiting and all the time that prospects spend thinking about MSU are spent wondering if the head coach is going to be there for much longer. Meanwhile, TSUN is partying like rock stars and handing out loaner cars while Freeze tells momma how Christ, through his football program, is going to change her son's life.

They go into December holding a bazooka. We go into December hoping we will still have someone hold a gun come January. It's a disastrous disadvantage and Dan has allowed it to play out MULTIPLE times. It's hurting our talent level and it has to stop.

msstate7
09-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Oh, he's the winner in this no doubt. Getting fired will be a huge blow to his ego, but he'd walk away with a boat load of money thanks mostly to a young man named Dak Prescott.

If I 100% believed he wanted to be here long term and he'd quit playing games, I'd love to see him be our Frank Beamer. But this "courting other opportunities" bullshit has to end. It's an incredible road block down the stretch in recruiting and all the time that prospects spend thinking about MSU are spent wondering if the head coach is going to be there for much longer. Meanwhile, TSUN is partying like rock stars and handing out loaner cars while Freeze tells momma how Christ, through his football program, is going to change her son's life.

They go into December holding a bazooka. We go into December hoping we will still have someone hold a gun come January. It's a disastrous disadvantage and Dan has allowed it to play out MULTIPLE times. It's hurting our talent level and it has to stop.

You don't think OM's recruiting tactics have out Mullen in an unfair position? After all, om is in deep crap with the NCAA

Political Hack
09-07-2016, 01:15 PM
You don't think OM's recruiting tactics have out Mullen in an unfair position? After all, om is in deep crap with the NCAA

Yes. I do. But that doesn't discount his own actions that are hurting recruiting as well. You can add John Hevesy to the list of poor recruiting decisions too.

I don't really think we should compare our recruiting to OM's, but we battle them for the cream of the crop in state every year. We're not beating LSU or Bama or Auburn or A&M for a recruit either.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 01:23 PM

I wonder if UNM doing what they are doing has Mullen just saying f%^k it in recruiting and he will get some developmental players that want to put in the work. It is embarrassing that we can't even get an Olineman with SEC talent to come play under Hev. TBuck was here a month and signed close to the best Olineman we have gotten in the last 7 or so years. Mullen is a good to great coach if he gets his head out of his ass. It would help to get rid of Hev and Sallach also, maybe Knox.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Yes. I do. But that doesn't discount his own actions that are hurting recruiting as well. You can add John Hevesy to the list of poor recruiting decisions too.

I don't really think we should compare our recruiting to OM's, but we battle them for the cream of the crop in state every year. We're not beating LSU or Bama or Auburn or A&M for a recruit either.

You are going to see a change in some staff positions this year. Sallach is coming off and Peterson is going to coach te's. This will allow us to have a 4th offensive recruiter and we won't have to count John as one of them.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 01:49 PM
You are going to see a change in some staff positions this year. Sallach is coming off and Peterson is going to coach te's. This will allow us to have a 4th offensive recruiter and we won't have to count John as one of them.

Don't you tease us....Bookmarked

msstate7
09-07-2016, 02:04 PM

This makes perfect sense to me. I always wondered why the best HS coach in Mississippi would leave for an office job unless he was promised a path to the field

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Right. I don't understand some folks math on here.

No one understands what 4.275 million times 2.5 years is? It aint March. My post said if we fired him TODAY we'd owe him roughly 12 million.

And 4.275 million x's 2.5 years is not between 6-7 million. It's not even close. The buyout pays 1:1 according to the terms. Point remains.

Edited: His contract doesnt end until March 1, 2019. Built-in raises are automatic each year since March 2015. We will pay him more money in 2017 and 2018 than we paid him in 2015 and 2016. He makes $4.275 million average per year for the 4 year duration of the contract. So by my calculation, if we fired him TODAY, we'd owe him $10.6875 million to go away.

What am I missing with my math?

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 02:28 PM
I thin this is Murray trying to cause some damage control. By saying "Dan's not going anywhere" I think MSU is hoping that some of our fans decide "well, we'll just support him anyway then because we might as well". The problem is this isn't 1989.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Ole Miss also thought that they would replace Cutcliffe with Dennis Erickson and they are racist. We need to stop looking at other schools screw ups and assuming that the same thing will play out here when we do make a coaching change.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Why is Peterson not coaching tight ends now? That makes no sense on Dan's part of true. And I understand he does a lot of things that don't make sense.

Tbonewannabe
09-07-2016, 02:37 PM
No one understands what 4.2 million times 3 years is? It aint December. My post said if we fired him TODAY we'd owe him roughly 12 million.

And 4.2 million x's 2 years is not between 6-7 million. I don't know if the buyout pays 1:1. Im going off simple logic. Point remains.

I don't think anyone realistically wants Dan fired after 1 game. I doubt anyone would want him fired after a loss to USCe unless it was a 48-0 domination and it would hurt the program to have a dead man walking. I highly doubt we fire Dan unless we miss a bowl game combined with getting our asses kicked by anyone with a pulse. Croom was possibly coming back until we got embarrassed in the Egg Bowl but that was the straw that broke the camel's back. He had already talked about dropping his boy McCorvey for Al Borges but after the Egg Bowl he was done.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-07-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't think anyone realistically wants Dan fired after 1 game. I doubt anyone would want him fired after a loss to USCe unless it was a 48-0 domination and it would hurt the program to have a dead man walking. I highly doubt we fire Dan unless we miss a bowl game combined with getting our asses kicked by anyone with a pulse. Croom was possibly coming back until we got embarrassed in the Egg Bowl but that was the straw that broke the camel's back. He had already talked about dropping his boy McCorvey for Al Borges but after the Egg Bowl he was done.

Maybe they do maybe they don't. That wasnt my point. My point was it doesnt make financial sense to fire him mid season. And I highly doubt we'll fire him after this season unless we only win 2 games.

Cowboydawg
09-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Ole Miss also thought that they would replace Cutcliffe with Dennis Erickson and they are racist. We need to stop looking at other schools screw ups and assuming that the same thing will play out here when we do make a coaching change.

I'm not sure what type of profession you are in but you absolutely look at your market/your competitive landscape and learn from other people's mistakes. Nobody is assuming the same thing will happen. Are you assuming the same thing won't happen? To say we need to stop looking at other schools screw ups is a seriously misguided statement.

Outside of our own fanbase, the perception is that Mullen has overachieved here. Outside of the OM fanbase, the perception was that Cutcliffe was a very good coach that had a down year after losing Eli Manning. If we are willing to fire Mullen after 1 losing season we better be prepared for the backlash. To ignore what happened to a competitor in our market with a nearly identical budget and overall landscape, would just be foolish.

You don't assume the same thing will happen. You make sure the same thing doesn't happen. In this case, you have the next guy ready to step in much like Howland. If you don't have the next guy lined up...you get as much as you can out of Mullen another year.

Cowboydawg
09-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Double Post

HSVDawg
09-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Are you just looking at how many years are left on his deal and how much he makes per year? His buyout is not that high. Miami interviewed him last offseason and Maryland either interviewed him or was in some form of serious talks with him or his agent (depending on who you ask). If he had a $12 million buyout there wouldn't have been a single school in the country that would have even considered interviewing him at the end of last year.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 04:24 PM

Why is Peterson not coaching tight ends now? That makes no sense on Dan's part of true. And I understand he does a lot of things that don't make sense.

He wanted time to learn the offense and get up to date on recruiting before stepping in.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Are you just looking at how many years are left on his deal and how much he makes per year? His buyout is not that high. Miami interviewed him last offseason and Maryland either interviewed him or was in some form of serious talks with him or his agent (depending on who you ask). If he had a $12 million buyout there wouldn't have been a single school in the country that would have even considered interviewing him at the end of last year.

Im going off his actual contract. So yes, Im calculating his buyout by how many years left and his annual salary. Here's a link https://hkm.com/football/contracts/dan-mullen/

ETA: I don't know exactly what constitutes his "annual salary". I know the total sum comes from a few different sources.

Gatordog
09-07-2016, 04:28 PM

No Mullen fan but it appears after he has always been the bridesmaid instead of the bride he finally realized being a whore doesn't land the groom. He hired some high school coaches last year to start helping him recruit better for the future. Problem is like everyone knows is the two to three years he was soiling his oats.

Indndawg
09-07-2016, 04:34 PM
I remember these posts in 2008 when everyone was saying that you can't fire the reigning SEC coach of the year. Get back to me if we go 4-8 and the bears beat us by 30.

Back on SPC during those great days about half the philosphers were saying we can't fire Croom, it'd look bad, year removed from a mighty Liberty victory. We don't have t he $, same crap.

RocketDawg
09-07-2016, 04:37 PM
I haven't read the 4 pages of posts, so I don't know what the consensus is ... but yes, Mullen deserves, or should be given, a bye on a down year. I still have some confidence that this year will end better than most seem to think.

And fire him and a buyout of 3 or 4 years salary? Why just throw the money away? Let him coach and be happy that he doesn't buy players.

sandwolf
09-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Apples and oranges. Not only are there a lot more boosters willing to pony up for football, but the athletic department is willing to dump money into football because football is actually profitable. There is a reason that successful football coaches are paid 10+ times more money than successful baseball coaches.

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure what type of profession you are in but you absolutely look at your market/your competitive landscape and learn from other people's mistakes. Nobody is assuming the same thing will happen. Are you assuming the same thing won't happen? To say we need to stop looking at other schools screw ups is a seriously misguided statement.

Outside of our own fanbase, the perception is that Mullen has overachieved here. Outside of the OM fanbase, the perception was that Cutcliffe was a very good coach that had a down year after losing Eli Manning. If we are willing to fire Mullen after 1 losing season we better be prepared for the backlash. To ignore what happened to a competitor in our market with a nearly identical budget and overall landscape, would just be foolish.

You don't assume the same thing will happen. You make sure the same thing doesn't happen. In this case, you have the next guy ready to step in much like Howland. If you don't have the next guy lined up...you get as much as you can out of Mullen another year.

Yes you learn from others mistakes- which is why it's less likely that we would pull a Cutcliffe debacle. But we have a lot of fans that assume they because Ole Miss botched that hire that we will too and there is no merit for that.

Speaking of learning from our mistakes- we historically hold on to coaches at least one year too long. That is what kills us and causes us to be set back for five years. We give way too much leeway and it's because we don't recognize the signs that a coach is done. And Dan has displayed a LOT of those so far. Lack of intensity, appearing not to care about losing, not making adjustments and appearing unwilling to do so, openly looking for jobs and etc.

lamont
09-07-2016, 06:47 PM
No one understands what 4.275 million times 2.5 years is? It aint March. My post said if we fired him TODAY we'd owe him roughly 12 million.

And 4.275 million x's 2.5 years is not between 6-7 million. It's not even close. The buyout pays 1:1 according to the terms. Point remains.

Edited: His contract doesnt end until March 1, 2019. Built-in raises are automatic each year since March 2015. We will pay him more money in 2017 and 2018 than we paid him in 2015 and 2016. He makes $4.275 million average per year for the 4 year duration of the contract. So by my calculation, if we fired him TODAY, we'd owe him $10.6875 million to go away.

What am I missing with my math?

We don't have to pay the entire 4.2 if he is fired. Some of that won't be fulfilled so it comes off. We will pay about 3.2-3.5 of it. We aren't going to fire Mullen Sunday if we lose. Any firing would take place in December. I'm not in any way saying we are going to fire him- but if we did- it would be between 6-7 mill come December.

GTHOM
09-07-2016, 06:51 PM

If this kind of high school drama BS is going on then Dan should have been gone already. Grown men should be professional not whiny and selfish after losing to your biggest rival 2 years in a row

mic
09-07-2016, 06:55 PM
We don't have to pay the entire 4.2 if he is fired. Some of that won't be fulfilled so it comes off. We will pay about 3.2-3.5 of it. We aren't going to fire Mullen Sunday if we lose. Any firing would take place in December. I'm not in any way saying we are going to fire him- but if we did- it would be between 6-7 mill come December.

Exactly.. Shit I think ND just got finished paying off fat ass Charlie Weiss recently ..

lamont
09-07-2016, 06:56 PM
We fire him it will cost 6-7

If he leaves on his own- it's a million or less owed to us I believe

HancockCountyDog
09-07-2016, 07:35 PM

I don't think he can get hired at a Power 5 school at this point, unless he gets a new agent.

Bass Chaser
09-07-2016, 08:03 PM
He wanted time to learn the offense and get up to date on recruiting before stepping in.

Excellent! Rep given!

Todd4State
09-07-2016, 08:09 PM

If it comes down to it we might negotiate some kind of a severance package although coaching may be totally different because I would assume it's a lot more common to be fired in coaching than it is in a lot of other professions.

bobcat91
09-07-2016, 09:26 PM
I hope Dan stays because the thought of Scott hiring another Rick Ray is making me throw up: not only is it possible, it's probable. I have no faith in his ability to do anything but be a fund raiser. If he could we wouldn't be playing the U of Mass in Mass.

lamont
09-07-2016, 09:29 PM
I hope Dan stays because the thought of Scott hiring another Rick Ray is making me throw up: not only is it possible, it's probable. I have no faith in his ability to do anything but be a fund raiser. If he could we wouldn't be playing the U of Mass in Mass.

Scott didnt make the last basketball hire alone - he wont make the football hire alone either

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 07:19 AM

Funny how ppl disagree with his actual written contract. Dan ain't going anywhere after this season and his buyout will not be between 6-7 million in December.

Tbonewannabe
09-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Funny how ppl disagree with his actual written contract. Dan ain't going anywhere after this season and his buyout will not be between 6-7 million in December.

Usually a buyout is less than what he would get by working out his contract. I don't think you just say he has 2 years on his contract so that is 2 years at 4.3M each.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Usually a buyout is less than what he would get by working out his contract. I don't think you just say he has 2 years on his contract so that is 2 years at 4.3M each.

Will you point to which page of his contract you see this? Bc I read the language to say if the board terminated him for any reason other than cause (which is basically only NCAA shenanigans) we owe him the entire balance of his annual salary for the duration of the contract. It's right there in black and white. If you have a different version Id like to read it.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Plus, the only unfulfilled items I see on his contract if fired him would be adidas camps. And those can't amount to more than $25k per year anyway.

Dawgfan77
09-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Their is a family with a name promittly on buildings that made sure $$$ is no problem when hiring and firing. We also have more money than at anytime in our history. To think we don't have the jack to make a change should it be needed is ridiculous

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Their is a family with a name promittly on buildings that made sure $$$ is no problem when hiring and firing. We also have more money than at anytime in our history. To think we don't have the jack to make a change should it be needed is ridiculous

You realize that money has been budgeted, right? We don't have tens of millions of dollars in petty cash laying around.

lamont
09-08-2016, 07:42 AM
You realize that money has been budgeted, right? We don't have tens of millions of dollars in petty cash laying around.

How is money set aside in a trust budgeted already?

Dawgfan77
09-08-2016, 07:44 AM
How is money set aside in a trust budgeted already?
Exactly. People need to understand money was set in a trust fund earmarked for athletics. This money is separate from the BC or any other giving

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Deleted

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Exactly. People need to understand money was set in a trust fund earmarked for athletics. This money is separate from the BC or any other giving

My one and only point is it doesn't make financial sense to fire him at the end of the season. Whether or not this double secret trust exists or not, there still has to be a mechanism where the trustor is willing to pay millions to therefore make more millions in the future. At the current buyout levels, no smart businessman invest 10 million to make something go away that's been working better than in history for the last 7 years.

civildawg
09-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Please do not come on here talking about things that you have no idea about. Have you ever heard of a rainy day fund? There is a fund for coaches buyouts IF needed.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Please do not come on here talking about things that you have no idea about. Have you ever heard of a rainy day fund? There is a fund for coaches buyouts IF needed.

Ditto.

My point remains whether or not a trust fund specifically for coaches buyouts exists or not. It still has to make financial sense to activate the trust. Those decisions aren't driven by pure emotion like message board insiders who refuse to post the actual data and rather just go off a "gut feeling".

Todd4State
09-08-2016, 08:47 AM
My one and only point is it doesn't make financial sense to fire him at the end of the season. Whether or not this double secret trust exists or not, there still has to be a mechanism where the trustor is willing to pay millions to therefore make more millions in the future. At the current buyout levels, no smart businessman invest 10 million to make something go away that's been working better than in history for the last 7 years.

If we go 2-10 and bring any coach back we stand to lose more than 10 million in the long run. That's why it makes financial sense to fire a coach that isn't performing. The costs go way beyond the actual coaches contract.

A bad team means fewer ticket sales, less attendance, less money spent on merchandise by fans, loss of money for not going to bowls, etc. And I just scratched the surface.

Coldsleeve Jr.
09-08-2016, 08:51 AM
If we go 2-10 and bring any coach back we stand to lose more than 10 million in the long run. That's why it makes financial sense to fire a coach that isn't performing. The costs go way beyond the actual coaches contract.

A bad team means fewer ticket sales, less attendance, less money spent on merchandise by fans, loss of money for not going to bowls, etc. And I just scratched the surface.

Correct. Win just 2 games and starts to make a lot more sense.