PDA

View Full Version : One thing that Brandon Walker said on BSR has stuck with me

Dawgology
09-07-2016, 05:03 AM
He said (paraphrasing) everyone talks about how we need to recruit more talented players and we don't even put our most talented players on the field. He went on to talk about Coman starting over Peters as well as the Holloway/Shumpert vs. Mixon/A. Williams. I started thinking about this and it really is a sad reality. I would like to think that if we recruited at a higher level then those athletes would hit the field early but I just don't trust our coach to do that anymore.

Look, I'm not at practice so maybe out stud freshman and sophomore athletes are just lost or our coaches just didn't properly evaluate them and we are absolutely playing the best of what we have...but it just doesn't feel right. Something is wrong.

I can't believe how much this loss has eroded my confidence in Mullen. I swear I was still in his corner until I saw what he dialed up last Saturday. I can't shake the feeling that something is up behind the scenes.

msbulldog
09-07-2016, 06:17 AM
He said (paraphrasing) everyone talks about how we need to recruit more talented players and we don't even put our most talented players on the field. He went on to talk about Coman starting over Peters as well as the Holloway/Shumpert vs. Mixon/A. Williams. I started thinking about this and it really is a sad reality. I would like to think that if we recruited at a higher level then those athletes would hit the field early but I just don't trust our coach to do that anymore.

Look, I'm not at practice so maybe out stud freshman and sophomore athletes are just lost or our coaches just didn't properly evaluate them and we are absolutely playing the best of what we have...but it just doesn't feel right. Something is wrong.

I can't believe how much this loss has eroded my confidence in Mullen. I swear I was still in his corner until I saw what he dialed up last Saturday. I can't shake the feeling that something is up behind the scenes.

^^^^Agree, I never like to see a coach fired, sometimes unfortunately that time comes. I like you was hoping CDM got the message and would make the change this season. After Saturday my mind changed, something is definitely up and it's a shame because it's hurting the players.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 07:20 AM
What if the stud athlete can't comprehend or learn the play calls? Should he play then? Just because someone has the measureables doesn't mean he has the mental capacity. This is the reason the nfl gives the wonderlic test at the combine.

GreenheadDawg
09-07-2016, 07:24 AM
What if the stud athlete can't comprehend or learn the play calls? Should he play then? Just because someone has the measureables doesn't mean he has the mental capacity. This is the reason the nfl gives the wonderlic test at the combine.

So we are the only school where players can't comprehend the plays? Players at others don't seem to have a problem picking it up. If that's the case then our scheme needs to be simplified. It should be easy, play 60 yards off the receiver and let them have EVERYTHING underneath. Learn that and you have our defensive scheme down

ETA: I forgot one of the most important parts. Never cover the tight end, he's irrelevant

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Why do you think so many highly rated ms kids that go out of state gets "proceed" for a better term so frequently

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 07:33 AM
^^^^Agree, I never like to see a coach fired, sometimes unfortunately that time comes. I like you was hoping CDM got the message and would make the change this season. After Saturday my mind changed, something is definitely up and it's a shame because it's hurting the players.

Something I scratch my head about. If most folks on here go through a McDonald's and the person at the window has a crappy attitude and then messes up their order, they'd probably want that person fired. That person is more than likely struggling to pay bills and making $10 an hour and feels like life just ain't treating them too well on most days. Not saying they should feel that way, but that is probably the way they feel.

Yet with a coach who has averaged well over $1 million for what is now his eighth year, and people hate to see him fired if he does the exact same thing. With as much as he's made and just reasonable investments, he shouldn't ever have to work again. It's not like he's going to be in the poor house.

With $1 mill or more a year there is usually a lot more scrutiny and pressure. That's why it's a $1 mill or more job.

thf24
09-07-2016, 07:34 AM

It's obvious that he has a point, but Coman over Peters is a terrible example on his part. That's one spot where the right guy is starting.

monroedawg5646
09-07-2016, 07:38 AM
So you simplify your gameplan and schemes until they are up to speed. You think the Florida State QB knows the playbook front to back? Hell no. What did Jimbo do? He made adjustments to fit the athlete and put him in a position to succeed. That's good coaching.

MStateDawg
09-07-2016, 07:56 AM
It's obvious that he has a point, but Coman over Peters is a terrible example on his part. That's one spot where the right guy is starting.

I agree completely. I've seen nothing out of Peters that leads to me to believe he is anything more than an average DB. Now the RB situation is a whole different story. Williams, Gibson & Lee all seem like better options than Shumpert.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 07:57 AM
The fsu qb probably knows about 90% of the playbook considering he is a rsf. You saw Jimbo come out after half and take what the defense gave him. It didn't hurt either that they ended up with really good field position from turnovers and ole miss d was gassed.

We have athletes who can't figure out what is the strong side of the formation is or what zone to cover.

Op4isabitch
09-07-2016, 08:27 AM

Here's the problem with the whole, " hasn't learnt the playbook argument". Every other school can get their guys to learn the playbook in a matter of weeks, we either have really bad teachers or a ridiculously difficult playbook that's written in Hebrew.

In my profession we take people that have never before handled certain equipment and have them operating it at maximum efficiency with a 10-12 week training syllabus. I promise that these people are ingesting more data than what's available in all 14 SEC teams playbooks combined.

Football is not rocket science and I get the idea that may be one of our problems, we have a coach that thinks it is.

I seen it dawg
09-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Our HC has become really shitty. Case closed.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-07-2016, 08:51 AM
Why do you think so many highly rated ms kids that go out of state gets "proceed" for a better term so frequently

How are we not seeing massive transfers each year?

Dawgology
09-07-2016, 08:56 AM

Because I've not seen Peters play any meaningful time.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Here's the problem with the whole, " hasn't learnt the playbook argument". Every other school can get their guys to learn the playbook in a matter of weeks, we either have really bad teachers or a ridiculously difficult playbook that's written in Hebrew.

In my profession we take people that have never before handled certain equipment and have them operating it at maximum efficiency with a 10-12 week training syllabus. I promise that these people are ingesting more data than what's available in all 14 SEC teams playbooks combined.

Football is not rocket science and I get the idea that may be one of our problems, we have a coach that thinks it is.

You are taking someone with the mental capacity to learn and process something and teaching them. If they don't have the mental capacity to learn it then they fail. If a person can't tell you which side is the strong side of a formation they don't have the mental capacity to pick up any defense besides you stand here and cover this area and that shit will get you killed in college football today

Commercecomet24
09-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Mr. Myogi said it best "No bad student only bad teacher"

dickiedawg
09-07-2016, 11:05 AM
If Peters is average he needs to be playing every down.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 11:11 AM
If he was average he would be playing

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 11:12 AM

C'mon maine!

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Lets just say we have some coaches in positions now who can recruit on talent and iq

Gomez09
09-07-2016, 11:30 AM
C'mon maine!

Maine beat us too :(

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-07-2016, 11:31 AM

Then why did he play last year? Has he regressed?

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Maine beat us too :(

Ha ... sad but true. I kinda meant get the 17 out of here with "if Peters were average he'd be playing".

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Look at my previous post about coaches in position now to look at more than just iq. Who was his recruiter and position coach last year?

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Must be a pretty complex D. Both safeties (or anyone playing safetly) looked like crap on Saturday. Course, Peters ain't a safety anymore, he a CB.

maroonmania
09-07-2016, 11:45 AM
So we are the only school where players can't comprehend the plays? Players at others don't seem to have a problem picking it up. If that's the case then our scheme needs to be simplified. It should be easy, play 60 yards off the receiver and let them have EVERYTHING underneath. Learn that and you have our defensive scheme down

ETA: I forgot one of the most important parts. Never cover the tight end, he's irrelevant

I thought about this Monday night where the Beaver made it a point to give both Brown and Metcalf multiple targets in their first game as true freshman against FSU in a national showcase game. And that's with a UNM team that already has veteran receivers out the wazoo. Mullen won't seem to do that and it make recruiting high profile guys harder for us. Heck, now even redshirt freshman that are highly regarded seem to have trouble getting playing time with us at least when it comes to the skill positions.

JoseBrown
09-07-2016, 11:50 AM
And we can't throw past the LOS, but we shrink the playbook at that pos.

JoseBrown
09-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Because I've not seen Peters play any meaningful time.

No, but we saw the other one benched the second half of the egg bowl. I can't remember the score head to head in the second half, but I'm sure someone can...

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 12:00 PM
The other one who was the second leading tackler on the team Saturday?

GreenheadDawg
09-07-2016, 12:00 PM
I thought about this Monday night where the Beaver made it a point to give both Brown and Metcalf multiple targets in their first game as true freshman against FSU in a national showcase game. And that's with a UNM team that already has veteran receivers out the wazoo. Mullen won't seem to do that and it make recruiting high profile guys harder for us. Heck, now even redshirt freshman that are highly regarded seem to have trouble getting playing time with us at least when it comes to the skill positions.

This is one of reasons kids want to play at OM, not counting the money part. I think he gave them targets for a reason. It was arguably the biggest game of the weekend other than Bama USC. He wanted recruits to see true freshman getting PT on national TV.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 12:02 PM
You are taking someone with the mental capacity to learn and process something and teaching them. If they don't have the mental capacity to learn it then they fail. If a person can't tell you which side is the strong side of a formation they don't have the mental capacity to pick up any defense besides you stand here and cover this area and that shit will get you killed in college football today

So we're just recruiting dumbasses that need 4 years to learn the playbook?

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 12:11 PM
No I'm just saying some kids who are extremely athletically gifted may never be what they can because they don't have the mental ability to be the best possible player. This is no fault of their own and they can't control it.

Just like you see very few PHDs be the CEOs of fortune 1000 companies. They are super intelligent but might lack common business sense.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2016, 12:19 PM
No I'm just saying some kids who are extremely athletically gifted may never be what they can because they don't have the mental ability to be the best possible player. This is no fault of their own and they can't control it.

Just like you see very few PHDs be the CEOs of fortune 1000 companies. They are super intelligent but might lack common business sense.

Not really arguing the point as I know you're right. I just have a hard time believeing that every elite recruit we get has fallen into that categoty since Mullen got here. Law of averages dictates that one of these freshmen running backs has enough intelligence to learn how to pick up a blitz scheme.

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2016, 12:33 PM
You would hope they weren't but the vast majority in ms are. Its why Ole Miss had to use Wayne County to get kids in school. Look at the top skill guys to come out of ms high schools in the past 10 years and then look at how many have made it to the next level.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Neutron Jack, one of the most famous recent CEOs, would definately disagree. Besides, PhDs are only held by 1% of the population, so statistically speaking, 11 PhD holding CEOs would be higher than the general population. I would be willing to bet there are more than 11 PhD holding Fortune 1000 CEOs.

dawgday166
09-07-2016, 06:48 PM
So we're just recruiting dumbasses that need 4 years to learn the playbook?

Seems like it. We recruit kids that can pass the ACT, but can't understand the playbook. OM recruits kids who can't read, but play lights out as freshmen.