PDA

View Full Version : I've mostly lurked re: Yall's Thoughts on CDM & I have a question...

TUSK
09-06-2016, 06:39 PM
I can recall in consecutive years actually pulling for Bama to LOSE an early season game vs Arkansas in hopes it would aid in Mike Dubose's firing and subsequently excise the cancer from my program....

Do any of yall even remotely feel that way, yet????

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
I can recall in consecutive years actually pulling for Bama to LOSE an early season game vs Arkansas in hopes it would aid in Mike Dubose's firing and subsequently excise the cancer from my program....

I never want MSU to lose.

TUSK
09-06-2016, 06:46 PM
I never want MSU to lose.

I can appreciate that.

I was just willing to lose a meaningless game or two in hopes to win more in the long run and end the lingering suffering... it takes a lot of love (or insanity) to do that...

msbulldog
09-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Actually it's none of your business Mr. Alabama. And I bet you lie about wishing Bama would lose.

TUSK
09-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Actually it's none of your business Mr. Alabama. And I bet you lie about wishing Bama would lose.

negative... sorry to have offended...

BayouDawg
09-06-2016, 06:59 PM
The only time I was marginally happy well I guess happy isn't the right word. I guess that I could take solace in a loss was the 2008 egg bowl. Just because I knew it relieved us from the Crooms.

dawgday166
09-06-2016, 07:04 PM
No worries Tusk. Not sure tho ... tough to pull for that to me, but I have grown weary of Mullen. Weary of the same predictable offense all the time. Want his offense to look like it should look, based on his reputation as a "brilliant" offensive mind. Weary of the defensive staff turnover every year too. Weary of crappy special teams play.

Also tired of the yearly beat down by Bama ha!

DownwardDawg
09-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Not there yet. Yet. I was there a crooms last year. Smiled at the egg bowl score. I knew it was over.

msstate7
09-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Dubose was 24-23 at the most historically prestigious school in the sec. Dan Mullen is 55-36 at one of the historically worst schools in the sec. Not apples to apples...

Bubb Rubb
09-06-2016, 07:22 PM

I've never outwardly rooted for us to lose. But it didn't exactly hurt my feelings when Croom lost. I sat in DWS for his last game against Ole Miss, in the rain, knowing we didn't have a chance to win the game, so I was hoping they would hang 50 on us to make sure Croom would be shown the door.

I'm not there yet with Mullen. I want him to be successful. I'm growing more skeptical by the day.

TUSK
09-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Dubose was 24-23 at the most historically prestigious school in the sec. Dan Mullen is 55-36 at one of the historically worst schools in the sec. Not apples to apples...

agreed... the Dubose situation was muuuuuuuuch worse, IMO....

Dawgbite
09-06-2016, 07:32 PM
So Tusk, you have been around long enough to know the mood of the natives. You have no emotional attachment to State or Mullen, is it time to part ways? Can we do better than Mullen or are we over reacting based on our history and lack of success prior to Mullen.

BayouDawg
09-06-2016, 07:38 PM
I've never outwardly rooted for us to lose. But it didn't exactly hurt my feelings when Croom lost. I sat in DWS for his last game against Ole Miss, in the rain, knowing we didn't have a chance to win the game, so I was hoping they would hang 50 on us to make sure Croom would be shown the door.

I'm not there yet with Mullen. I want him to be successful. I'm growing more skeptical by the day.

How long was it before you realized you were at the wrong stadium?

TUSK
09-06-2016, 07:40 PM
So Tusk, you have been around long enough to know the mood of the natives. You have no emotional attachment to State or Mullen, is it time to part ways? Can we do better than Mullen or are we over reacting based on our history and lack of success prior to Mullen.

Whoa, that's a tough call, man... Lemme go mix a drink, and I'll come back and BUMP....

Op4isabitch
09-06-2016, 07:49 PM

LMAO, I was just thinking that too. I bet it was cold wet and very lonely at DWS that Saturday.

msstate7
09-06-2016, 07:52 PM
LMAO, I was just thinking that too. I bet it was cold wet and very lonely at DWS that Saturday.

Maybe more than the om slaughter, it was the home crowd of 1 that done croom in**

TUSK
09-06-2016, 08:05 PM

this was quick and dirty, and it's prolly not a revelation to most of you cats....

Caveat: I do not know CDM personally, nor do I have any non-public insight into the inner circle that is MSU football. I do have, however, a lot of historical knowledge of the program (likely more than a majority of posters here).
I think Dan Mullen is really arrogant and dismissive. I think these traits make him difficult for which to work and also inhibits his ability to recruit effectively. I believe it was his intention to use MSU as a stepping stone to get a “big time” job. I somewhat think he believes he is “too good” for MSU and now that his window of opportunity (for a “better” job) has closed, he may not give a shit, anymore.
I think he is obstinate in his use of personnel (specifically young guys) and play calling. Additionally, without THE EXACT PERFECT QB for his system, he’s hamstrung creatively. I think his failure to recruit Mississippi effectively has at least as much to do with apathy as it does payoffs.
Additionally, in my opinion, MSU’s meteoric rise under Mullen, had much more to do with scheduling and a downward trend in teams that are typically stronger than with improvement of talent level and development. This may have masked some of his shortcomings.
It’s not to say the program hasn’t been better; It certainly has.

In summation, I’d say the AD needs to be covertly shopping the shit out of the job (much like Mullen was doing) until a replacement can be found. But, you better not can his ass until you have someone good lined up. I’m not saying MSU can do any better or worse without him, but you certainly can get someone that’s grateful for the opportunity of advancement in to the HC ranks, especially in the SEC…. and someone that’ll try harder.

Treemydawg
09-06-2016, 08:17 PM

I know Tusk and consider him a friend. Him being part of this message board makes a question like he asked a legitimate question, and as far as calling him a liar you need to back off of that statement. He may be a lot of things but a liar isn't one of them. Now to answer his question I hope we go 0-12 so we can get rid of the cancer that is Dans sorry, no coaching, no half time adjusting, non clock managing, senior player playing ass and get a real coach here that understands you have to put your best players on the field to be a consistent football program. If it takes us losing every game this year to get his ass out of town I'm good with that.

TUSK
09-06-2016, 08:53 PM
I know Tusk and consider him a friend. Him being part of this message board makes a question like he asked a legitimate question, and as far as calling him a liar you need to back off of that statement. He may be a lot of things but a liar isn't one of them. Now to answer his question I hope we go 0-12 so we can get rid of the cancer that is Dans sorry, no coaching, no half time adjusting, non clock managing, senior player playing ass and get a real coach here that understands you have to put your best players on the field to be a consistent football program. If it takes us losing every game this year to get his ass out of town I'm good with that.

Ain't that the truth!

I seen it dawg
09-06-2016, 09:10 PM
this was quick and dirty, and it's prolly not a revelation to most of you cats....

Caveat: I do not know CDM personally, nor do I have any non-public insight into the inner circle that is MSU football. I do have, however, a lot of historical knowledge of the program (likely more than a majority of posters here).
I think Dan Mullen is really arrogant and dismissive. I think these traits make him difficult for which to work and also inhibits his ability to recruit effectively. I believe it was his intention to use MSU as a stepping stone to get a “big time” job. I somewhat think he believes he is “too good” for MSU and now that his window of opportunity (for a “better” job) has closed, he may not give a shit, anymore.
I think he is obstinate in his use of personnel (specifically young guys) and play calling. Additionally, without THE EXACT PERFECT QB for his system, he’s hamstrung creatively. I think his failure to recruit Mississippi effectively has at least as much to do with apathy as it does payoffs.
Additionally, in my opinion, MSU’s meteoric rise under Mullen, had much more to do with scheduling and a downward trend in teams that are typically stronger than with improvement of talent level and development. This may have masked some of his shortcomings.
It’s not to say the program hasn’t been better; It certainly has.

In summation, I’d say the AD needs to be covertly shopping the shit out of the job (much like Mullen was doing) until a replacement can be found. But, you better not can his ass until you have someone good lined up. I’m not saying MSU can do any better or worse without him, but you certainly can get someone that’s grateful for the opportunity of advancement in to the HC ranks, especially in the SEC…. and someone that’ll try harder.

Spot on...and what some of us "agenda" people have been spouting for a couple of years. It's now manifesting itself.

Boodawg
09-06-2016, 09:25 PM

Just wait until season end. Hope he gets it together but I'm not betting on it. USA has got to be one of our easiest wins of year.

HSVDawg
09-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Not there yet. Yet. I was there a crooms last year. Smiled at the egg bowl score. I knew it was over.

I remember at halftime down 28-0 just hoping OM would continue to pile on. Biggest worry that we would score a few TD's and make it look somewhat respectable at the end to mask the asswhipping that occured (kind of like what happened last year), and Croom would get another season. I hate OM with every fiber of my being, but for 30 minutes that day I was a semi-fan.

BulldogBear
09-07-2016, 05:32 AM
I laughed

+1

Maybe more than the om slaughter, it was the home crowd of 1 that done croom in**
The thing is though, the product on the field was the same. Maybe he didn't notice there was no game.

Dawgface
09-07-2016, 06:39 AM

Pretty much my thoughts. I would love to see a miracle happen and we scrape out a 6 win season and go to some minor bowl. But a 3 win or less year, I would gladly see him go.

Bully13
09-07-2016, 06:52 AM

Not sure how any true fan can pull for his team to lose but a year later it's easy to analyze hindsight vs pulling for the loss during the live action.

sleepy dawg
09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I find it interesting that given a hypothetical of winning or losing, some would chose losing all games over going, say, 11-1, only because they just want it to end. What do you want to end exactly? A 3 straight 9+ win season streak?

I do not want to lose every game. I want to win every game.

MadDawg
09-07-2016, 10:31 AM
I find it interesting that given a hypothetical of winning or losing, some would chose losing all games over going, say, 11-1, only because they just want it to end. What do you want to end exactly? A 3 straight 9+ win season streak?

I do not want to lose every game. I want to win every game.

When folks have made up their mind that a coach needs to be gone, there is nothing more important than getting rid of that coach. A coach may be losing his job due to losing games, but the fans will gladly accept 2,3 or 4 years of losing at an even higher rate, if they can just get rid of the coach. See: Croom See: Rick Ray See: Mullen's replacement

It's a feast or famine mentality where mediocrity is seen as far, far worse than complete ineptitude.

RTO Dawg
09-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Hell no, and all these Dan haters need to shut the 17 up!

dickiedawg
09-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Any state fan pulling for Mullen to lose so he gets fired at this point has lost his damn mind.

sleepy dawg
09-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Any state fan pulling for Mullen to lose so he gets fired at this point has lost his damn mind.

Meet most of your fellow message board posters...

GreenheadDawg
09-07-2016, 02:09 PM

I think Dan Mullen is really arrogant and dismissive. I think these traits make him difficult for which to work and also inhibits his ability to recruit effectively. I believe it was his intention to use MSU as a stepping stone to get a ?big time? job. I somewhat think he believes he is ?too good? for MSU and now that his window of opportunity (for a ?better? job) has closed, he may not give a shit, anymore.
I think he is obstinate in his use of personnel (specifically young guys) and play calling. Additionally, without THE EXACT PERFECT QB for his system, he?s hamstrung creatively. I think his failure to recruit Mississippi effectively has at least as much to do with apathy as it does payoffs.
Additionally, in my opinion, MSU?s meteoric rise under Mullen, had much more to do with scheduling and a downward trend in teams that are typically stronger than with improvement of talent level and development. This may have masked some of his shortcomings.
It?s not to say the program hasn?t been better; It certainly has.

In summation, I?d say the AD needs to be covertly shopping the shit out of the job (much like Mullen was doing) until a replacement can be found. But, you better not can his ass until you have someone good lined up. I?m not saying MSU can do any better or worse without him, but you certainly can get someone that?s grateful for the opportunity of advancement in to the HC ranks, especially in the SEC?. and someone that?ll try harder.

Slow clap for you sir. That's spot ****ing on. It's not hard to see for anybody, minus a couple people on here

I_Spy
09-07-2016, 02:37 PM
I think part of Dans perceived arrogance is he doesn't want arrogant players. That's obvious to me. Hugh (example, had a movie and money backing, mannings, top 10 classes to bring spotlight to OM...contrast Dan did it by himself. I think State is more respected, also in women's basketball Vic and his recruits, but mainly a MS girl named Vivians who is not arrogant at all which at times, we need her to be.

The south Alabama game was unexpected but their qb made some good passes. I will believe our team had the flu.

msbulldog
09-08-2016, 06:39 AM
negative... sorry to have offended...

I am sorry for my rude remark Tusk, it has been bothering me since I made it and I must apologize.
No excuse, but I haven't been in a very cheerful mood since Saturday. That's no excuse, I shouldn't let anything about a game affect me in such a way.
Again I apologize.

Dawgbite
09-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Tusk, I was actually surprised at your answer, not saying I disagree but not what I expected either. The problem with Mullen using us as a stepping stone is that at $4.2 million a year there are very few jobs to step up to and the only way to be in consideration for those jobs is to win and win big at State. Some have suggested that Mullen has given up but he didn't just wake up one morning and decide he was giving up on a $4.2 mil job so he could go become a coordinator for a tenth the money. Recruiting at the level we do, we can't afford very many misses nor can we afford players leaving early as we had a few do last year. We just don't have the talent depth to just reload as Bama and LSU do. The only way to recruit better is to consistantly have our name in the top 20 by building success or to buy our way in as OM is doing. We are about to see how well that option works long term. We are not going to hire a new coach and suddenly recruit top 10 because of our history as an also ran, I'm not sure Saban could walk in to Starkville and recruit top ten his first year although I would like to see him try. If Mullen has gotten too comfortable then Strick shopping the job probably isn't a bad idea. It might light a fire under his ass. Everybody not wearing maroon glasses said this would be a down year for us but we just didn't want to admit it to ourselves.

AusTexDawg
09-08-2016, 09:25 AM
...In summation, I?d say the AD needs to be covertly shopping the shit out of the job (much like Mullen was doing) until a replacement can be found. But, you better not can his ass until you have someone good lined up. I?m not saying MSU can do any better or worse without him, but you certainly can get someone that?s grateful for the opportunity of advancement in to the HC ranks, especially in the SEC?. and someone that?ll try harder.

While I don't agree with all of this analysis, you definitely hit the nail on the head on some things. However, to all of the folks who want Mullen gone need to keep in mind the sentiment above - IMHO, getting the football equivalent of a Rick Ray would be much worse than suffering through a bad season or two (but not more than two) with Dan if that's how this plays out. There aren't many coaches that have the right mix of skills to consistently outperform Dan at MSU. As another post mentioned earlier in the thread, it's going to take sustained success (or more cheating than I can stomach) to significantly upgrade our recruiting.

FWIW, my stomach still turns thinking about the Egg Bowl decimation that ended the Croom era, even it proved beneficial in the long run.