View Full Version : Puppets, Bag Men, and Real Coaches

KB549
09-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Long. Sorry. Not sorry.

Pick Two:
Top recruits
Great coaches
Institution involved pay for play

You can have all 3. It doesn't last long term if you do.

Last night (and last season, for that matter), Freeze and his staff showed how you can BUY a program. He proved that without a deeper understanding that there are more differences between high school girls basketball and SEC football than the shape of the ball, you are never going to get your money's worth.

It's pretty well understood that every college football program with any desire to be competitive has a system to pay players. Most are done quietly by boosters while the administration looks the other way for plausible deniability. These blue chip high school kids want to play on Sunday, so they are really looking for a few things in choosing where to play college ball. In order of importance (my opinion).

1. How beautiful is the campus?******
2. How much media exposure can I get so that NFL scouts are paying attention to me and my name is getting said on ESPN to improve my draft stock.
3. Am I going to be the best in that position, or a bench warmer/backup. This is the problem with a team full of 4 and 5 stars (see Alabama).
4. Who is the best coaching staff will help me look good and improve my skills?
5. How much am I getting paid?
6. What does the uniforms look like?
7. Facilities

The SEC Network evened out the playing field to some degree on exposure. Alabama playing USC is obviously going to get a better TV slot than State playing USA. But we were still on the SEC Network as opposed to Jefferson Pilot.

So then, we start looking at playing time and the coaching staff. If my kid was being recruited by Mullen and Saban, it's a no brainier if he's a dual threat quarterback. Otherwise, I'm going to be saying Roll Tide unless he doesn't have a 90% chance to see significant playing time.

Saban is obviously a phenomenal coach. He knows players are getting paid and probably wishes he could prevent it. But I GUARANTEE you he and his coaching staff are separated from the BamerNetwork deals with players more than the "7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon" because he can always claim "Rouge Booster" and save himself, his staff, and his school from any major sanctions. He doesn't need to buy players to be successful, but he can't stop The Machine.

Freeze (much like Chizick) on the other hand is an average coach at best. The Network is buying players that they would otherwise never get. They're probably having to overpay for them, too. I believe they are paying more to overcome the coaching deficiency. The difference is the Network has to involve the coaching staff because they own them, too. They've bought talent, but can't put it all together. No coach worth his salt is going to risk his career and good name with this setup, so you have to have a puppet. Nice experiment. Hope these 2-3 years of "relevance" were worth the 15 years of pain you are about to endure. Keep it up and you may punch your ticket out of the SEC. You are despised by every other fan base in the conference.

Does State pay players or facilitate it? Doubt it. See Cam Newton fiasco. We passed on a Natty because Cecil approached the coaching staff instead of boosters. Do State boosters pay players? Yes. Pretty sure. But I don't think we don't have lots of these really dumb alumni that wants to give their hard earned money to 18-22 year old kids like other schools do. Cow college and all that.

So how do we compete? We make a Ben Howland type hire. Not a Hudspeth or McElwain or Muschamp. No gambling on a coordinator or up and comer. If we want to BUILD (not BUY) a program and turn it into a reputable program year over year, you pay an insane amount of money and buy the best PROVEN coaches money can buy. If we don't want to pony up the money, then we as a program and fan base should be happy with Mullen-type results.

I wish we would make the contract win based. 1 year contract at a time

$1,750,000 base contract
0-5 wins $0 and you lose your job
6th win worth $50,000 extra
7th win worth $200,000 extra
8th win worth $400,000 extra
9th win worth $600,000 extra
10th win worth $800,000 extra
11th win worth $1,200,000 extra
12th win worth $1,500,000 extra
SEC Championship win worth $1,500,000 extra
Playoff win $2,000,000 extra
NC win $4,000,000 extra

$14,000,000 to go 15-0 with a natty. Saban would probably jump ship for that. If he weren't about to retire.