PDA

View Full Version : Administration & Mullen

Coastdog28
09-06-2016, 03:56 PM
We all know the backstory. Mullen has looked around at least once, but probably multiple times. This coupled with lack of recruiting effort, country club coaches, and probably some administration/boosters not "helping" as much as other programs has led to poor recruiting. Not only do we have an overall lack of talent as compared to most of the SEC, but we have gaping holes in multiple positions.

Dak certainly masked several deficiencies. In 2014, we were an OLine away from a spot in the playoffs. We went air raid in 2015 to try and further mask the even more depleted Oline. Now with Dak gone, and other players (as well as sub par recruiting), there are gaping holes all across the board. #1 feels like a lifetime ago. Absolutely no momentum was gained from it. That is depressing. The staff basically mailed it in during/after 2014.

Now, some have suggested that the administration and boosters are angry at the lack of loyalty and effort. Has anything actually been done about it? Is it to the point that Dan is basically going through the motions until he is either fired or can make a lateral move, or did anything the administrations say or do actually light a fire in him to try and start building again? Obviously, if the administration really thought he has mailed it in, surely he'd be fired? I guess this is probably a question that nobody but Dan knows for sure.

bulldawg989
09-06-2016, 04:01 PM
i have zero confidence in Stricklin doing anything proactive to address the issues Mullen has, until Keenum or some big money boosters force him to do something he'll just defer to Mullen. Stricklin has to give permission for Mullen to interview or give another school permission to speak to Mullen (i think) so he full well knows Mullen looks every chance he gets. my opinion is Stricklin goes down with the Mullen ship.

MadDawg
09-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Obviously, if the administration really thought he has mailed it in, surely he'd be fired? I guess this is probably a question that nobody but Dan knows for sure.

I have read hundreds of posts today from people who claim they know for fact.

msstate7
09-06-2016, 04:04 PM
I have read hundreds of posts today from people who claim they know for fact.

It's all coming out now. Last week, Dan was a qb guru and we'd never have to worry about qb play again under him. Fast forward 4-5 days and Mullen needs to be fired right now

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 04:09 PM
It seems like Dan is at a crossroads. I don't know how active he was looking for a job prior to last year but he seems like he wants out. I don't know what caused it but he has been different. It seems the sticking point is now he makes more money than most schools would be willing to pay. He gets paid around top 15 in college football and a big school isn't going to pay that since he doesn't have any big time wins over a team that finished the year with less than 4 losses.

He either has to take a pay cut to leave or get us to fire him.

Coastdog28
09-06-2016, 04:12 PM
You would think continuing to build on the success of being #1, and he could've at least found a similarly paying, lateral job? It really seems like it's a case of being burned out and some sort of breakdown with administration. Not giving him enough money for assistants, handcuffing recruiting, etc?

gtowndawg
09-06-2016, 04:14 PM
It seems like Dan is at a crossroads. I don't know how active he was looking for a job prior to last year but he seems like he wants out. I don't know what caused it but he has been different. It seems the sticking point is now he makes more money than most schools would be willing to pay. He gets paid around top 15 in college football and a big school isn't going to pay that since he doesn't have any big time wins over a team that finished the year with less than 4 losses.

He either has to take a pay cut to leave or get us to fire him.

I really think he would take any job after this season. But would even a lower tier Power 5 school hire him if we go 3-8? Because I'm not sure they would at that point and if they did it would be for a massive paycut which I don't think he will do. So I keep coming back to firing him. It's the only way out I see that benefits our program.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 04:16 PM
You would think continuing to build on the success of being #1, and he could've at least found a similarly paying, lateral job? It really seems like it's a case of being burned out and some sort of breakdown with administration. Not giving him enough money for assistants, handcuffing recruiting, etc?

If he didn't have the leverage to get whatever he needed after 2014 then I don't think it will ever get fixed.

RougeDawg
09-06-2016, 04:35 PM
It's all coming out now. Last week, Dan was a qb guru and we'd never have to worry about qb play again under him. Fast forward 4-5 days and Mullen needs to be fired right now

I found out a handful of things this weekend that I didn't know before. One of which was his off field antics this past year and then the demands he made when he didn't land a new job. Basically whored himself out and then when no one wanted him, came back with some pretty outrageous demands. One of which included making Hev one of the highest paid assistants in all of college football. Let that shit sink in. Our brilliant HC wanted to law our shittiest coach and recruiter one of the highest paid assistance? Who thef*ck even remotely thinks that's rational thinking? Dan has completely lost it and if you had heard the offseason shit he pulled this year you would fully agree. I'm surprised he's even still around. If something doesn't change, he gone come November. Book that one.

Coastdog28
09-06-2016, 04:51 PM
I found out a handful of things this weekend that I didn't know before. One of which was his off field antics this past year and then the demands he made when he didn't land a new job. Basically whored himself out and then when no one wanted him, came back with some pretty outrageous demands. One of which included making Hev one of the highest paid assistants in all of college football. Let that shit sink in. Our brilliant HC wanted to law our shittiest coach and recruiter one of the highest paid assistance? Who thef*ck even remotely thinks that's rational thinking? Dan has completely lost it and if you had heard the offseason shit he pulled this year you would fully agree. I'm surprised he's even still around. If something doesn't change, he gone come November. Book that one.

For our sake, I really hope this isn't true. If it is true, everything that has happened since late 2014 up until now, makes total sense.

Also, if this is the case, both sides basically sound done. It's probably an inevitable outcome if so. It seems like a mutual parting of ways is probably the best outcome we can hope for.

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2016, 04:56 PM

I wish they'd tell Dan that Hev WILL be fired. The only question is whether or not he goes with him...ala Croom and McCorvey. Choice is his and he is now on the clock.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Hev seems to be that guy that is good friends with the boss and gets away with doing mediocre work because of it. Probably kills moral when not everyone pulls their weight in recruiting.

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 05:07 PM
I wish they'd tell Dan that Hev WILL be fired. The only question is whether or not he goes with him...ala Croom and McCorvey. Choice is his and he is now on the clock.

At least per urban legend Croom was willing to demote McCorvey at the very end but Byrne said we were going in a different direction.

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 05:09 PM
I don't understand why we didn't tell Dan to just leave if he didn't want to be here? He and MSU probably would have both been better off.

basedog
09-06-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't understand why we didn't tell Dan to just leave if he didn't want to be here? He and MSU probably would have both been better off.

Where would he have gone?

Homedawg
09-06-2016, 05:30 PM
i have zero confidence in Stricklin doing anything proactive to address the issues Mullen has, until Keenum or some big money boosters force him to do something he'll just defer to Mullen. Stricklin has to give permission for Mullen to interview or give another school permission to speak to Mullen (i think) so he full well knows Mullen looks every chance he gets. my opinion is Stricklin goes down with the Mullen ship.

You speak as if it's a fact and then throw in an "I think". This is why reading message boards is counter productive.... He agent doesn't need Stricklin's permission and Dan didn't get an extension. So there's that.

Dawgology
09-06-2016, 05:31 PM

Out with it. Or PM me. I want to know.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 05:35 PM
So a pre-requisite for a coach at MSU is that he doesn't look around at other jobs? Y'all are aware that eliminates pretty much everyone y'all would want. Out of the things Mullen is being blasted for this one and the shorts are about the dumbest.

basedog
09-06-2016, 05:41 PM
So a pre-requisite for a coach at MSU is that he doesn't look around at other jobs? Y'all are aware that eliminates pretty much everyone y'all would want. Out of the things Mullen is being blasted for this one and the shorts are about the dumbest.

I will agree about the shorts, but on my way home I went by the great "Grave Yard For Msu Coaches" and notice a front in loader was being unloaded. I suppose it makes no difference what you are wearing from waist down.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 05:45 PM
You speak as if it's a fact and then throw in an "I think". This is why reading message boards is counter productive.... He agent doesn't need Stricklin's permission and Dan didn't get an extension. So there's that.

I think he is meaning he "thinks" other schools will call the AD to get permission to interview a sitting head coach. They normally do as a courtesy, but most know that some talks with the agent and back channels take place. But when it comes to officially interviewing someone in the running most schools ask for permission to talk with them.

RougeDawg
09-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Out with it. Or PM me. I want to know.

I see my wonderful iPhone put law instead of pay. Dan wanted to make Hevesy one of highest paid OLine coaches in all of football after he had shopped himself for multiple HC positions and failed. He came back to our admin and demanded astronomical raises for himself, Hev and one other who may have warranted a raise but not that much. He essentially said he wanted to leave and then came back and tried to milk our bank account for he and his country club boys.

ETA he has acted like a whiney bitch since end of 14 season and is trying to blame any and everyone else but himself. This all goes back to Strick not taking a stand early on.

Dolphus Raymond
09-06-2016, 06:03 PM
I have never been an advocate for firing him. However, we have never had such an embarrassing loss under DM as we did Saturday. We are better than USA and lost. (We did not lose because we missed a field goal. That just added insult to injury.) we are better than USC and I expect us to win, but if we lose, it will be time to make a change.

C222
09-06-2016, 06:06 PM
The reports of him reaching a deal with Marylans were true. Then Georgia opened....

shannondawg
09-06-2016, 06:07 PM
If other programs contacted him and wanted to talk is one thing, I couldn't blame him for listening. But it seems that he or his agent were actively seeking employment else where, and that is unacceptable.

I had one source tell me that Keenum was really pissed about his lack of loyalty and that is the reason he did not extend his contract this year. He has two years left and I would think that we have enough money to buy him out, if it comes to it.

But one game in is not the time to make a decision, but he will be under the microscope this year I would think, if what I heard about Keenum is true.

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2016, 06:15 PM
If, big if, all this we are hearing is true, then he's learned nothing about the South while living here regarding loyalty. As a life long Mississippian, I am persuaded if a person is loyal to you then a lot of other imperfections are overlooked. But once it's apparent that loyalty is gone then it's over. I'd rather be married to a 4 that's loyal and devoted to me than a 10 that's constantly looking for someone else.

GTHOM
09-06-2016, 06:15 PM

Man I hate to be that guy but you my friend are the biggest Mullenite on the board. Its not the fact that he's looking at other jobs, he actively pursued other jobs and it happens every single offseason. MSU has given him the world and he pays us back with whoring himself out to Maryland for God's sake. MSU and the fans dont deserve that and must demand better. Period

RougeDawg
09-06-2016, 06:18 PM
If other programs contacted him and wanted to talk is one thing, I couldn't blame him for listening. But it seems that he or his agent were actively seeking employment else where, and that is unacceptable.

I had one source tell me that Keenum was really pissed about his lack of loyalty and that is the reason he did not extend his contract this year. He has two years left and I would think that we have enough money to buy him out, if it comes to it.

But one game in is not the time to make a decision, but he will be under the microscope this year I would think, if what I heard about Keenum is true.

What you heard is true. We lessened the buyout by not extending as result of the off field antics after last season. Not getting a raise and extension only widened the gap and further angered the Yankee. Which fully explains why we saw what we saw Saturday. A coach that looked like he just got done with 18 and wanted to hit the 19th hole instead of try to bury an inferior opponent.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Man I hate to be that guy but you my friend are the biggest Mullenite on the board. Its not the fact that he's looking at other jobs, he actively pursued other jobs and it happens every single offseason. MSU has given him the world and he pays us back with whoring himself out to Maryland for God's sake. MSU and the fans dont deserve that and must demand better. Period

My info is that most of that was BS. Miami was legit, and they contacted him. I'm not a Mullenite by the way. I'm a MSUite. I happen to belive for now Mullen is by far the best option we have. Until that's not the case I'll defend him and support him.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 06:26 PM

He didn't pursue Maryland no matter what some float out there. Including those with an agenda. Maryland floated a number to his agent but he didnt whore himself out to them in any way or fashion. Miami was legit and until Richt changed his mind after turning them down earlier that day, Mullen appeared to be the second choice and was very close to being offered. Georgia from all I heard was never in play. Supposedly the AD called him, agent , somebody, not the other way around, but Smart was going to be the choice from the get go.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 06:40 PM
He didn't pursue Maryland no matter what some float out there. Including those with an agenda. Maryland floated a number to his agent but he didnt whore himself out to them in any way or fashion. Miami was legit and until Richt changed his mind after turning them down earlier that day, Mullen appeared to be the second choice and was very close to being offered. Georgia from all I heard was never in play. Supposedly the AD called him, agent , somebody, not the other way around, but Smart was going to be the choice from the get go.

Yes

Dawgcentral
09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
What you heard is true. We lessened the buyout by not extending as result of the off field antics after last season. Not getting a raise and extension only widened the gap and further angered the Yankee. Which fully explains why we saw what we saw Saturday. A coach that looked like he just got done with 18 and wanted to hit the 19th hole instead of try to bury an inferior opponent.

So, "The Yankee" got angry and decided he didn't want to beat South Alabama out of spite?

He actually lost a game we never expected to lose. Maybe it's true that we were up where we should have been at the half, then lost control out of complacency, and that's on Mullen. But that "Yankee" crap is the same damn thing that made Templeton keep hiring Bryant prot?g?s.

There's a coach over at Millsaps who is available if you're interested.

Mullen still wants to make it happen here. The man is driven, even if he wears shorts and runs a marathon. Prospective hires might wonder if there's a reason Jackie couldn't make us a power year after year,..and Mullen couldn't do it either. Both the #2 guys on National Championship Programs.

I'm with just about everyone on the offensive line. But the " I heard from a guy" garbage really stinks.

GTHOM
09-06-2016, 06:51 PM
My info is that most of that was BS. Miami was legit, and they contacted him. I'm not a Mullenite by the way. I'm a MSUite. I happen to belive for now Mullen is by far the best option we have. Until that's not the case I'll defend him and support him.

Ok being an MSUite why are you okay with him actively pursuing other jobs??? Miami??? Miami has been bad for years, in NCAA trouble and they dont even have their own stadium. Why would you want to leave here to go there. Makes no sense other than he wants out or he thinks he's better than MSU. Its not like its been just one offseason we've had to deal with this crap its every single one. MSU deserves better. I firmly believe if he loses saturday he is done here.

Gordon Gekko
09-06-2016, 06:53 PM
I don't care if Muffins actively pursues every opening in college football, as long as it's done through back channels. His seemingly out in the open pursuit was insulting. I would rather he talk about leaving Starkville in a pine box and how awesome State is, only to take another job, than the way he has handled this.

GTHOM
09-06-2016, 06:54 PM

If thats true then so be it. But he was still trying to get out. To go somewhere that is a lateral move in my opinion. If he wins saturday I'll be all behind him. I'm gonna be behind him and yelling and ringing like hell for him on saturday, but if he loses this will get worse and I believe he will have coached his last meaningful game here. The rest of the season will be an absolute disaster

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Where would he have gone?

Don't know. Not my problem.

Urban Meyer sat out a year and ended up OK. If he's truly burned out and has enough money to afford sitting out- and unless he has managed him money horribly he should be able to do that- it probably would have been for the best for both of us. He's going to get paid no matter whether he coaches here or not so I can't see that being an issue.

At worst someone would have picked him up as an OC.

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Ok being an MSUite why are you okay with him actively pursuing other jobs??? Miami??? Miami has been bad for years, in NCAA trouble and they dont even have their own stadium. Why would you want to leave here to go there. Makes no sense other than he wants out or he thinks he's better than MSU. Its not like its been just one offseason we've had to deal with this crap its every single one. MSU deserves better. I firmly believe if he loses saturday he is done here.

You're probably right about him being done here if he loses Saturday. The only small chance of going 6-6 at that point would involve winning the rest of our OOC games, Kentucky on the road, winning the Egg Bowl and pulling an upset over someone in the West.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 07:04 PM
If thats true then so be it. But he was still trying to get out. To go somewhere that is a lateral move in my opinion. If he wins saturday I'll be all behind him. I'm gonna be behind him and yelling and ringing like hell for him on saturday, but if he loses this will get worse and I believe he will have coached his last meaningful game here. The rest of the season will be an absolute disaster

I get what you are saying. And honestly most of me agrees with you but we are very biased. Nationally, it's not considered a lateral move by the majority of the coaches. Multiple national titles in recent history, talent rich state, a destination area, easier path to conference and national titles, etc. It is perceived to be a good bit higher profile job.

GTHOM
09-06-2016, 07:06 PM
I get what you are saying. And honestly most of me agrees with you but we are very biased. Nationally, it's not considered a lateral move by the majority of the coaches. Multiple national titles in recent history, talent rich state, a destination area, easier path to conference and national titles, etc. It is perceived to be a good bit higher profile job.

Miami has NCAA trouble, cant keep a coach, they dont even have their own stadium. I dont see it

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Miami has NCAA trouble, cant keep a coach, they dont even have their own stadium. I dont see it

Their probation ends this October. Them not retaining a coach is more about who they hired and trying to get back to elite status. They are not losing coaches to other jobs. They have moved on after 4-5 years of average ball.

GTHOM
09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Their probation ends this October. Them not retaining a coach is more about who they hired and trying to get back to elite status. They are not losing coaches to other jobs. They have moved on after 4-5 years of average ball.

Still dont see it. They dont have near the fan support we do, it is easier to win there but thats about it

HSVDawg
09-06-2016, 07:30 PM
I really think he would take any job after this season. But would even a lower tier Power 5 school hire him if we go 3-8? Because I'm not sure they would at that point and if they did it would be for a massive paycut which I don't think he will do. So I keep coming back to firing him. It's the only way out I see that benefits our program.

This is an underrated possibility that I think needs to be discussed more. I still think several schools would take him. Someone in the mold of a Kansas, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Indiana, Washington State, Rutgers. etc. would easily roll the dice on him even with a 3-9 or so finish. Coaches talk a lot, and its publicly known that he was truly burned out and just wanted out of Starkville then I think he could land something. There will be a minimum of 4 or 5 of those type jobs open this offseason, and I think he would take a small paycut (maybe $3 milion or so) to get one if the alternative was being fired this year or next. That is honestly the best situation for both him and us if things spiral out of control this season.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Still dont see it. They dont have near the fan support we do, it is easier to win there but thats about it

Like I said, we are biased. Doesn't change how it's perceived nationally compared to us or a similar school.

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 09:57 PM
This is an underrated possibility that I think needs to be discussed more. I still think several schools would take him. Someone in the mold of a Kansas, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Indiana, Washington State, Rutgers. etc. would easily roll the dice on him even with a 3-9 or so finish. Coaches talk a lot, and its publicly known that he was truly burned out and just wanted out of Starkville then I think he could land something. There will be a minimum of 4 or 5 of those type jobs open this offseason, and I think he would take a small paycut (maybe $3 milion or so) to get one if the alternative was being fired this year or next. That is honestly the best situation for both him and us if things spiral out of control this season.

For that to happen I think we would have to lose and he would have to resign next week to save face. I think teams are going to be leery about him because I think a lot of schools are going to think that it was more about Dak than Dan.

My guess as to what is most likely to happen if we tank it is I bet Urban picks him back up in some capacity. It may be an analyst or advisor role until someone hires his OC and then Dan moves back up that way.

Personally I think Dan needs to step back from coaching for a little bit- at the very least head coaching.