PDA

View Full Version : I'm just going to put this out there on Fitzgerald and Williams.....

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I think most of you all probably saw that I saw. When Fitzgerald started, his body language was....well.....'off'. Didn't seem like the team responded well to him. I know it was just 6 plays total, but the playcalling 'seemed' bad, and it was sort of just bad. Williams came in and the offense woke up. Do we all agree there? Hopefully so. Then we saw what would happen with our offense with Williams in the 3rd quarter. Won't lose, but won't win. And with our defense, we can't have that. So we're out of options at current.

I think Tiano is probably the only option. Like I said in the other thread, I'd probably start Williams again, and go to Fitz early against SC. Probably against LSU too since we know that's a beatdown. But if things don't improve I think I would start Tiano against UMass. Bottom line.

We all know how this will go. We'll either win or lose to SC by a score like 17-14. Then LSU will beat us 35-10. So what's the point?

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2016, 10:16 AM
I don't disagree with your observations, but I would say that it's ridiculous to completely judge Fitz off of 6 plays that didn't put him in a position to succeed. FSU's QB looked like garbage last night for the first quarter & a half & then he found it.

Give Fitz the same opportunity. Call plays to his strengths & let him play

confucius say
09-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Have to find out what you have in fitz first. We don't know at this point.

I was pissed at the early play calling. You have a guy making is first ever start. Give him a simple throw with no read and let him run the ball on Second play. Get him involved and give him a little confidence. It ain't rocket science.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:22 AM
I think most of you all probably saw that I saw. When Fitzgerald started, his body language was....well.....'off'. Didn't seem like the team responded well to him. I know it was just 6 plays total, but the playcalling 'seemed' bad, and it was sort of just bad. Williams came in and the offense woke up. Do we all agree there? Hopefully so. Then we saw what would happen with our offense with Williams in the 3rd quarter. Won't lose, but won't win. And with our defense, we can't have that. So we're out of options at current.

I think Tiano is probably the only option. Like I said in the other thread, I'd probably start Williams again, and go to Fitz early against SC. Probably against LSU too since we know that's a beatdown. But if things don't improve I think I would start Tiano against UMass. Bottom line.

We all know how this will go. We'll either win or lose to SC by a score like 17-14. Then LSU will beat us 35-10. So what's the point?

Fitz is an option QB and we didn't run the option. Damian gives us a chance at maybe 5 wins max. Dan shouldn't make Fitz try to go through 4 progressions when he can run like he is able. Fitz looked good backing up Dak last year, I don't know why we wouldn't give him more opportunities especially in the 2nd half when we were "rolling" to 3 points. I say give Fitz most of the 1st half and then if he still looks like garbage bring out Tiano.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Way to early to judge Fitz on six plays especially season opening plays. First time starter of a SEC team probably is pretty stressful. If JJ makes that catch maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion. It is a game of inches after all.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Fitz is an option QB and we didn't run the option. Damian gives us a chance at maybe 5 wins max. Dan shouldn't make Fitz try to go through 4 progressions when he can run like he is able. Fitz looked good backing up Dak last year, I don't know why we wouldn't give him more opportunities especially in the 2nd half when we were "rolling" to 3 points. I say give Fitz most of the 1st half and then if he still looks like garbage bring out Tiano.
5? We couldn't even beat USA. I'd say 3 max, with luck. Samford would be the only sure bet. Did you see UMass vs. Florida?

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 10:26 AM

Not that I don't agree that Fitz deserves another and I believe we will. But I don't recall him getting past his first read on his passes. Much less the idea that Dan had him going through 4 progressions. Williams went through his progressions and early made some good reads. Fitz was locked and loaded on one guy.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 10:28 AM
To be clear I'm not necessarily judging Fitzgerald. I'm just going off the weeks-long rumors about off the field stuff combined with what I saw on the field. And the fact that he hasn't clearly taken the QB position yet.

This is in no way an indictment of his talent.....I'm on record saying I think he's a great athlete and potentially a great QB.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:29 AM
5? We couldn't even beat USA. I'd say 3 max, with luck. Samford would be the only sure bet. Did you see UMass vs. Florida?

I was being optimistic. I actually don't see more than Samford, USCe, and UMass. UK might be a toss up but it is on the road.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Not that I don't agree that Fitz deserves another and I believe we will. But I don't recall him getting past his first read on his passes. Much less the idea that Dan had him going through 4 professions. Williams went through his progressions and early made some good reads. Fitz was locked and loaded on one guy.

Dan didn't give him any easy plays to get comfortable. It wouldn't have bothered me to run the option or throw a screen pass the first 2 series before dialing it up. We did that more with Damian but didn't give Fitz a chance.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I was being optimistic. I actually don't see more than Samford, USCe, and UMass. UK might be a toss up but it is on the road.

Arkansas would be a tossup IMO but with our offense I doubt it. They'd gash us with the TE anyway.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 10:32 AM

The very first play of the game was a read option. Just because we don't run the option of old doesn't mean it isn't the option.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Dan didn't give him any easy plays to get comfortable. It wouldn't have bothered me to run the option or throw a screen pass the first 2 series before dialing it up. We did that more with Damian but didn't give Fitz a chance.
Agreed. Both QBs should have been running the ball first and foremost. Everybody knows this except Mullen.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:35 AM
The very first play of the game was a read option. Just because we don't run the option of old doesn't mean it isn't the option.

Forgot about that, Holloway got the ball up the gut. I want to see Fitz run the Relf offense before I give up on him.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Agreed. Both QBs should have been running the ball first and foremost. Everybody knows this except Mullen.

It would also help if we put our SEC quality RBs in the game to run the ball instead of a change of pace back and concrete shoes.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Fitz had the option to run the first play and should have ran it. If he makes the right read he is still running untouched today.

shoeless joe
09-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Still dumb. I don't want a young guy having an RPO on the first play of the year. I will not be happy until fitz and aeris are in the game together RUNNING the read option and mix in Holloway for a change of pace. We can win like that. Plus it keeps our secondary off the field for as long as possible.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Ding! Get him settled. An easy, no read pass. A called qb run. Jet sweep to Mixon, gray, miles, or Ross (who didn't touch ball 1st quarter and when he finally did went 45 yards). It was just a horrible script of first 6 plays and it pisses me off.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Ok but that's not what you said. You said Dan had him going through 4 progressions. He didn't have him doing. I agree you could have called him differently. But it wouldn't have matter about progressions because Fitz wasn't doing that. It wasn't a deal where he took too much time going through the reads or getting confused through the play.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 10:39 AM

Correct

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2016, 10:39 AM
So does anybody know the actual truth about Fitz and the team? Is he really not like or is that a rumor? I've heard he's had some off the field issues but nothing in detail

blacklistedbully
09-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I think the only thing we learned Saturday is Williams is not the starter. He is the only one who got enough PT to make a judgement....and he couldn't threaten a shitty USA enough to stretch the field at all, and he couldn't beat them.

If we can't beat a USA missing 3 DL starters, with a dink & dunk QB with marginal running skills...who are we going to beat?

No...like TBone, SGD & Confucius said....put Fitz in there (and tell him he is starting and getting at least the first 1/2), then give Tiano a quarter or so.

Also, give Fitz 75% of the snaps this week, and Tiano the remaining 25%.

Process of elimination. Williams is not the answer.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Ok but that's not what you said. You said Dan had him going through 4 progressions. He didn't have him doing. I agree you could have called him differently. But it wouldn't have matter about progressions because Fitz wasn't doing that. It wasn't a deal where he took too much time going through the reads or getting confused through the play.

I was more referring to the offense Dan ran with Dak. Dan even mentioned Damian was going through his progressions better than Nick and he felt the offense was rolling better under Damian so he stuck with him. Just because Nick didn't go through all the progressions doesn't mean that isn't the offense we were running on Saturday. If Nick is slow through progressions then you run the Relf offense of 1 or 2 checks then run.

HoopsDawg
09-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Yeah, probably should just quit delaying the inevitable and go with Tiano. I think we are going to struggle at QB until Key Thompson is a redshirt sophomore.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 10:48 AM
I was more referring to the offense Dan ran with Dak. Dan even mentioned Damian was going through his progressions better than Nick and he felt the offense was rolling better under Damian so he stuck with him. Just because Nick didn't go through all the progressions doesn't mean that isn't the offense we were running on Saturday. If Nick is slow through progressions then you run the Relf offense of 1 or 2 checks then run.

If our game plan for fitz was to call pass plays that require him to go through numerous progressions then we're doing it wrong. He ain't dak as a senior. He's much more dak as a sophomore or relf as a jr. Mullen over-complicates stuff.

drunkernhelldawg
09-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Williams failed us by not getting the ball in the endzone in the second half. Not sure why the drives stalled, but they did. I did like Williams running the two minute at the end of the game. Great job there. I'm not sure what's wrong with Fitz but I'm hoping he can get it cleaned up. Point is that you've got to score to win. Didn't like the way we threw away the first two drives of the game. Hurtful loss but glad we're not throwing in the season towel like we did after we lost the opener to La. Tech. Doubt we can get a true freshman out there right away. If we can and he's all that, do it. Otherwise, Williams needs to be more agressive at pushing the ball downfield or Fitz needs to get his head on the field where it belongs. One or the other.

Maroonthirteen
09-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I will repeat what others said. I don't think we gave Fitz enough opportunities. Maybe he did lock on his first read and/or didn't make correct reads. Mullen knows if he did or didn't. But the play calling was definitely more of the Dak offense rather than the Relf offense. SO, I don't think Mullen gave Fitz the best opportunity to succeed. I want to see Fitz given the opportunity to run the Relf offense before I call him a bust.

Tiano......if Mullen feels Fitz can't handle the pressure and is making the wrong reads, you need to go with Tiano now. WHy wait for Umass week? He will need to get some snaps under his belt now to ensure his best effort by UMass week. But this is just what I think should happen. Obviously, Dan thinks Williams is more than capable.

What probably will happen...... Williams starts this weekend. The game is within a TD one way or the other. Dan says Williams did just fine. Williams is the QB going forward. LSU will beat us 42-0, btw.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 10:52 AM

Forgot about that, Holloway got the ball up the gut. I want to see Fitz run the Relf offense before I give up on him.

Some of you need to get up to date on current offenses. Fitz misread the end and gave the ball to holloway inside. If he keeps it he is still running. Our fan base hasn't evolved with the offenses today.

Jack Lambert
09-06-2016, 10:53 AM
I don't disagree with your observations, but I would say that it's ridiculous to completely judge Fitz off of 6 plays that didn't put him in a position to succeed. FSU's QB looked like garbage last night for the first quarter & a half & then he found it.

His six plays nothing happen and then Williams came in and we moved the ball. Maybe Mullen should have given him another shot but when the qB you send in starts moving the offense you stick with him.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:58 AM
His six plays nothing happen and then Williams came in and we moved the ball. Maybe Mullen should have given him another shot but when the qB you send in starts moving the offense you stick with him.

I had no problem sticking with Williams in the 1st half but Damian didn't set the world on fire in the 2nd half. Dan or Brian Johnson should have been talking to Fitz on the sideline or at halftime and then give him another shot. Instead we let Damian lead a couple of drives that at most results in FGs. That isn't having the offense rolling, that is shitting the bed against a mediocre at best Sunbelt team.

fishwater99
09-06-2016, 11:02 AM

Why did Dan do this, he wanted to play Williams b/c he is the upperclassman..

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Mullen did give him another shot...let him go back in and take a knee right before half.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Mullen did give him another shot...let him go back in and take a knee right before half.

True, did anyone notice if Aeris, DLee, Gibson, or Murphy were out there also? No wonder Dan doesn't give them a chance, instead of running the offense we just wasted clock by taking a knee.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 11:08 AM

That's bullshit. Williams got the same play calls as Fitz, he just made the better read and moved the ball.

With that being said I don't think williams is our qb, but I don't fault Dan for not pulling him Saturday.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Anyone know how Fitz is thought of on campus?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-06-2016, 11:12 AM
True, did anyone notice if Aeris, DLee, Gibson, or Murphy were out there also? No wonder Dan doesn't give them a chance, instead of running the offense we just wasted clock by taking a knee.

Not sure about that, but what a dick move by Mullen....talk is that D Lee has an ankle

ElitedawgRecruiting
09-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Here's my only observation from a practice and game standpoint so take it however you will. I am a veteran. A proud one at that. And when I go to battle the guy leading me doesn't have to be the most liked guy. But he does has to be the most prepared guy. So blame Dan and blame Damien all you want. The problem isn't them. The problem is Fitz just won't step up and take control of HIS team. Until that light comes on its not a Mullen or Williams problem. It's a Nicky Fitz problem

Technetium
09-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Regarding the Relf-offense:

For those more in the know than myself, is that something that can be implemented now that the season has started, or should we have been practicing that in Spring/Fall camp for it to be a legitimate strategy this year? Given how much Mullen still wanted to pass and use the wrong RBs for situations, I'm guessing we didn't practice much of that style in the off-season...

maroonmania
09-06-2016, 11:16 AM
That's bullshit. Williams got the same play calls as Fitz, he just made the better read and moved the ball.

With that being said I don't think williams is our qb, but I don't fault Dan for not pulling him Saturday.

We are really between a rock and a hard place. We are limited with Williams no doubt but he apparently is the more settled, mature QB. People forget that although Fitz has been on campus almost as long as Williams, he only started ONE year as a QB in HS. I think he even played a different position up until his SR year. Still very green for a guy trying to start in the SEC but he no doubt has much better overall potential than Williams. We may have lost this past Saturday with Fitz playing as well but long term I believe we would have gotten more positives out of it because Fitz desperately needs game reps moreso than Williams does.

Homedawg
09-06-2016, 11:17 AM

I'm not saying fitz isn't better than Williams, I think he has more upside for sure. However, we ran the first play of the game to his strength and he read it wrong or he'd still be running....he's the better runner of the two by far and he didn't capitalize on it. Now 6 plays shouldn't and won't be his end, but he failed on those 6. Drops be damned.

confucius say

This is the problem!! Fitz should not get the same play calls as Williams. Fitz is in the mold of relf but potentially a higher ceiling if he develops as a passer like dak did. Williams is dak light.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
Here's my only observation from a practice and game standpoint so take it however you will. I am a veteran. A proud one at that. And when I go to battle the guy leading me doesn't have to be the most liked guy. But he does has to be the most prepared guy. So blame Dan and blame Damien all you want. The problem isn't them. The problem is Fitz just won't step up and take control of HIS team. Until that light comes on its not a Mullen or Williams problem. It's a Nicky Fitz problem

If that's the case, what's keeping Tiano off the field? Talk is that he has the "it" factor, but I've also heard he struggles with routine short throws in practice.

HSVDawg
09-06-2016, 11:18 AM
One thing that can be reasonably inferred is that Mullen saw some things in Fitz that he really did not like in terms of decision making while he was out there, and he wasn't comfortable putting him back out there until the game was no longer in doubt. Those likely include the wrong read on the read option, staring down receivers, being late on reads, waiting for guys to come open before throwing, etc. He did at least one of those things on every snap he was out there. Damien has his limitations physically, but he made the correct decisions while he was out there. Unfortunately, the supporting cast and the play calling / personnel decisions weren't good enough for us to put the game out of reach so Fitz could go back in. Our biggest issue is lack of identity on offense. We don't have a bell cow at another position (like RB) that we can lean on while these QB's get their feet under them, and neither Fitz nor Damien should have been relied on heavily to win that game with their arm.

ElitedawgRecruiting
09-06-2016, 11:19 AM
If that's the case, what's keeping Tiano off the field? Talk is that he has the "it" factor, but I've also heard he struggles with routine short throws in practice.
You answered your own question. If he was consistent in practice as things stand today, Fitz would be third string

WinningIsRelentless

For those more in the know than myself, is that something that can be implemented now that the season has started, or should we have been practicing that in Spring/Fall camp for it to be a legitimate strategy this year? Given how much Mullen still wanted to pass and use the wrong RBs for situations, I'm guessing we didn't practice much of that style in the off-season...

We are still running the ref offense just out of a different set. The qb is still reading off what the end does. The only difference is we are doing it out of the gun and no full back.

Liverpooldawg
Ding! Get him settled. An easy, no read pass. A called qb run. Jet sweep to Mixon, gray, miles, or Ross (who didn't touch ball 1st quarter and when he finally did went 45 yards). It was just a horrible script of first 6 plays and it pisses me off.

Fitz wasn't even handling the snaps well. He looked completely lost and like a deer in the headlights. I said before the season started I wanted to see him take snaps that mattered (which he had never done)before I formed an opinion. Based on what I saw, at the moment he isn't the answer.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Unless we can sign a FB mid-season, that offense isn't coming back this season.

JoseBrown
09-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Personally, I don't read body language to tell me if a team will or won't play for someone. That is the coaches job. In Mullen's post game he said there were nerves and such which is certainly understandable. He said Fitz had 2 drops so that ends the argument to me on that. Dam.williams basically played the whole game, and played well. But we lost. We lost to an inferior opponent with our QB playing well. That tells me he's not our QB. The plays change for dam.williams so that should also be put in the equation somewhere. That is well known that there are necessary plays that dam.williams simply can't execute. Not his fault, but we need those plays. Fitz or Tiano need to be our QB to have a chance to win, and I hope that is evident to Dan by now.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 11:21 AM
So does anybody know the actual truth about Fitz and the team? Is he really not like or is that a rumor? I've heard he's had some off the field issues but nothing in detail

I've heard some of the same...........but not what the team thinks. Ne details with me either.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-06-2016, 11:22 AM
You answered your own question. If he was consistent in practice as things stand today, Fitz would be third string

Is that more to due with his development at this stage or is the offense so complicated he's pressing?

thf24
09-06-2016, 11:23 AM

I hate hearing this because the last QB we had who was reportedly inconsistent in practice is starting for the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. This season is probably shot at this point, so why don't we let the guy with the most upside start getting reps?

ElitedawgRecruiting
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
I don't think any of them have to be Dak. But one needs to step up and be Dak-like in the lockerroom. Maybe Damien is more mature and the team sees that. I want Nick go take the job and run with it. But for whatever reason he hasn't. Not sure he has anyone to blame for that but the Abercrombie model in fe mirror

confucius say
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm not saying fitz isn't better than Williams, I think he has more upside for sure. However, we ran the first play of the game to his strength and he read it wrong or he'd still be running....he's the better runner of the two by far and he didn't capitalize on it. Now 6 plays shouldn't and won't be his end, but he failed on those 6. Drops be damned.

He failed Bc he missed one read on zone read? He failed Bc jj dropped a ball that was thrown where it needed to be, one foot over his head, and hit him in both hands?

Our coaches failed him with a horrible script of first 6 plays. First three plays should require no reads and include a called qb run and a touch to a playmaker (Ross, Mixon, gray, etc on a jet sweep).

Technetium
09-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Unless we can sign a FB mid-season, that offense isn't coming back this season.

I had assumed that would be Shumpert with our current personnel, but your point it well taken. I also don't expect to see that physical style of play, but since others had mentioned wanting to run it *this* year, it seemed like a good question.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
I don't think any of them have to be Dak. But one needs to step up and be Dak-like in the lockerroom. Maybe Damien is more mature and the team sees that. I want Nick go take the job and run with it. But for whatever reason he hasn't. Not sure he has anyone to blame for that but the Abercrombie model in fe mirror

That sounds like what exactly didn't happen at halftime of the USA game. The young guys were thinking it was over and non of the upper-classmen nipped that shit in the bud.

Really Clark?
I had no problem sticking with Williams in the 1st half but Damian didn't set the world on fire in the 2nd half. Dan or Brian Johnson should have been talking to Fitz on the sideline or at halftime and then give him another shot. Instead we let Damian lead a couple of drives that at most results in FGs. That isn't having the offense rolling, that is shitting the bed against a mediocre at best Sunbelt team.

When would you have made the change though? We only had two drives in the 3rd quarter and 5 total the second half. The first drive we kicked a FG. So you wouldn't pull him then unless we had kept the lead. The second drive we went into USA territory and stalled at the 41. Then they score to make it 20-14. Our next drive we cross mid field again. The last 2 drives are missed FG. Maybe after the second stall in USA territory you look at changing but there were not a ton of opportunities

confucius say
09-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Fitz wasn't even handling the snaps well. He looked completely lost and like a deer in the headlights. I said before the season started I wanted to see him take snaps that mattered (which he had never done)before I formed an opinion. Based on what I saw, at the moment he isn't the answer.

He mishandled a snap? I missed that. Not saying you are wrong

JoseBrown
09-06-2016, 11:28 AM
One thing that can be reasonably inferred is that Mullen saw some things in Fitz that he really did not like in terms of decision making while he was out there, and he wasn't comfortable putting him back out there until the game was no longer in doubt. Those likely include the wrong read on the read option, staring down receivers, being late on reads, waiting for guys to come open before throwing, etc. He did at least one of those things on every snap he was out there. Damien has his limitations physically, but he made the correct decisions while he was out there. Unfortunately, the supporting cast and the play calling / personnel decisions weren't good enough for us to put the game out of reach so Fitz could go back in. Our biggest issue is lack of identity on offense. We don't have a bell cow at another position (like RB) that we can lean on while these QB's get their feet under them, and neither Fitz nor Damien should have been relied on heavily to win that game with their arm.

I saw Willams do everything you said that Fitz did wrong in his six snaps. Williams played well overall. He executed after failing to execute, because he kept playing. Fitz didn't have that luxury. But the luxury he does have is size, athletic ability, speed, more plays to choose from and can make enough plays to keep the D honest. Those things Williams doesn't have. Williams played well, but failed to beat an inferior opponent. So which opponent will he be able to beat? Maybe none, so we have to go in a different direction to have a chance to win a ballgame. We only have two options right now. I don't care which one. I want to beat inferior opponents convincingly, and have a chance to beat the rest.

LC Dawg
09-06-2016, 11:29 AM
If I remember correctly Fitz looked pretty good last year in the Troy game when Dak was sick. I think Dak only played a couple of series.
Troy was a bad Sunbelt team and Fitz led us to a blowout win. Has he regressed that much?

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 11:30 AM

Fair enough but it's Dan's job to make sure the QB's are prepared and to play the one that is the most experienced. It's not like Fitzgerald is the only option. Tiano is an option and then we have Roberts the walk-on as well.

It's too bad Staley transferred out because I don't see how he lost to Damien and Fitz other than he likes to dance too much.

ElitedawgRecruiting
09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
And maybe I watched a different game then you guys. But I don't think quarterback play cost us the game as much as our first year DC looked like a first year DC. At some point you have to figure out how to stop the pass. And after halftime Joey Jones made the adjustment. Our defense didn't

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 11:31 AM
He failed Bc he missed one read on zone read? He failed Bc jj dropped a ball that was thrown where it needed to be, one foot over his head, and hit him in both hands?

Our coaches failed him with a horrible script of first 6 plays. First three plays should require no reads and include a called qb run and a touch to a playmaker (Ross, Mixon, gray, etc on a jet sweep).

I'm sorry but the zone read he should do in his sleep at this point. It's always a main cog in our book. Want to discuss the pass plays, ok. But the zone read was NOT making the script too difficult for Fitz. That's a huge stretch.

ElitedawgRecruiting
09-06-2016, 11:32 AM
I agree with that 100%. But the best coach in the world can only lead a players that is devoted do being lead

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 11:33 AM

Every play in football today has a read from special teams to defenses. He just missed the read end of story. The game isn't the same as it was 10 years ago.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 11:34 AM
And maybe I watched a different game then you guys. But I don't think quarterback play cost us the game as much as our first year DC looked like a first year DC. At some point you have to figure out how to stop the pass. And after halftime Joey Jones made the adjustment. Our defense didn't

It all ties together. If we keep the ball more in the second half, their offense stays off the field. Plenty of blame to go around, but how does a QB not have the ability to complete a 15 yard pass down the field?

confucius say
09-06-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry but the zone read he should do in his sleep at this point. It's always a main cog in our book. Want to discuss the pass plays, ok. But the zone read was NOT making the script too difficult for Fitz. That's a huge stretch.

I agree he should be able to run the zone read on his sleep. The point is one missed read on a zone read doesn't = failed. And the larger point is don't require to him make any reads initially. Get him settled.

ElitedawgRecruiting
09-06-2016, 11:38 AM
It all ties together. If we keep the ball more in the second half, their offense stays off the field. Plenty of blame to go around, but how does a QB not have the ability to complete a 15 yard pass down the field?
Same way the heir apparent doesn't have the ability to separate himself from the guy with that limitation. Put in the work. Show the coaches and team football is more important then frat life and ass, and maybe you succeed. Kelly succeeds doing both.(lucky last chance u wasn't made that year huh Chad).

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 11:39 AM

It's hard to complete passes to receivers who are covered. Dak could put the ball in where it normally wouldn't go and we got used to that. The receivers were not getting separation for the most part.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 11:39 AM

If the d had stopped them more we would have had the ball more. How many times did we punt in the second half? Once?

confucius say
09-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Every play in football today has a read from special teams to defenses. He just missed the read end of story. The game isn't the same as it was 10 years ago.

Uh no. I'm talking about reads as where to throw the football once the ball is snapped and whether to give or keep on a run once the ball is snapped. A designed qb run doesn't require that. A jet sweep to a playmaker doesn't require that. Make it easy on the kid early.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 11:50 AM
If he can't make a zone read then he doesn't need to play. It is easy as that.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 11:53 AM
I agree he should be able to run the zone read on his sleep. The point is one missed read on a zone read doesn't = failed. And the larger point is don't require to him make any reads initially. Get him settled.

That's the thing. That play should be settling for him and there are always reads. You are not going to eliminate that.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 11:53 AM

If he can't do it Consistently? True. If he missed it one time? That's crazy. Dak would never have played again after ok st in 2013 if that were the case.

And I don't know if he can do it consistently, but I'd like to find out. If he can't, then he can't play with his skill set and we move on.

TimberBeast
09-06-2016, 11:54 AM

So he gets one chance at one play, but williams gets the entire game to show that he couldn't beat some high school teams? Makes perfect sense.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Uh no. I'm talking about reads as where to throw the football once the ball is snapped and whether to give or keep on a run once the ball is snapped. A designed qb run doesn't require that. A jet sweep to a playmaker doesn't require that. Make it easy on the kid early.

Our jet sweeps have read option, triple option and run pass option components to them. But it is easier than a simple zone read with a RB?

confucius say
09-06-2016, 11:58 AM
That's the thing. That play should be settling for him and there are always reads. You are not going to eliminate that.

People, no one is saying you can eliminate reads throughout a game. But I've given you several examples of how it can be done in a five play script to start the career of a guy who is raw and a great athlete, but inexperienced, in order to settle him in and get him comfortable.

I'm not ready to give up on fitz or say he failed Saturday Bc he missed one read on a zone read. I need more.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 11:59 AM
A zone read is the simplest play you can call in college football today. You said give him something easy and we did. That's all I'm saying.

I think he should play, but to blame Dan for not giving him a easy play call on the first play of the game is just bs

Johnson85
09-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Our first year DC looking like a first year DC still held them to 21 points. That's not good for a sunbelt team, but it's crazy to think a D (missing its tarting cbs) letting them score 21 points is in the ball park of being as bad as only scoring 20 against a sun belt team that lost basically its entire starting DL.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Our jet sweeps have read option, triple option and run pass option components to them. But it is easier than a simple zone read with a RB?

I can't help you if you think the jet sweep to Ross that went 45 yards (on his first touch) had a read option or rpo (run pass option) built in for the Qb. That is not true and you know it. Qb receives ball, hands/flips it to #8, and watches him run. That's all. No thought process.

Johnson85
09-06-2016, 12:04 PM

Nick Fitzgerald may have a problem. But if Fitzgerald has the problem of not wanting to lead, and Damien has the problem of not being a legitimate power 5 QB, and Staley had the problem of not being able to compete with D. Williams, and Tiano has the problem of not being able to beat out Williams after being on campus for a year, I think it's safe to say the biggest problem is Dan Mullen.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 12:07 PM
No I was just making a point to Confucius say that in college football today and he'll even high level high school football that a zone read is the easiest play in the play book. I don't think williams gives us the best option to win this year but he damn sure didn't cost us that game either. He lead us on what should have been 6 scoring drives plus one other that got busted when on 3rd and 8 he couldn't even get his drop before both de's were all over him.

HSVDawg
09-06-2016, 12:07 PM

You've got to be joking. We scored 20 points against South freaking Alabama and lost by one point, and you blame the D for the loss? Don't get me wrong, we have work to do on that side of the ball for sure. But any SEC team should be able to sleepwalk to 45 points against a team like that. Especially against their 2nd string D line.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 12:08 PM
A zone read is the simplest play you can call in college football today. You said give him something easy and we did. That's all I'm saying.

I think he should play, but to blame Dan for not giving him a easy play call on the first play of the game is just bs

I agree it is simple and he should have executed it. But it is not, by far, the most simple. It requires a decision to be made on what to do with the ball. That's what I'm saying should be eliminated on the first three plays if I had my way.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 12:09 PM
I can't help you if you think the jet sweep to Ross that went 45 yards (on his first touch) had a read option or rpo (run pass option) built in for the Qb. That is not true and you know it. Qb receives ball, hands/flips it to #8, and watches him run. That's all. No thought process.

You know he has the fake sweep, QB run option in those plays.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Every play has a decision to be made. On the sweep to Ross you mentioned, it does have a read to go with it. If the guy over the top goes in motion with him you know they are in man coverage and fitzs keeps the ball and goes to the opposite side, if the man doesn't go in motion you know you have zone and you hand it off.

mparkerfd20
09-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Nick Fitzgerald may have a problem. But if Fitzgerald has the problem of not wanting to lead, and Damien has the problem of not being a legitimate power 5 QB, and Staley had the problem of not being able to compete with D. Williams, and Tiano has the problem of not being able to beat out Williams after being on campus for a year, I think it's safe to say the biggest problem is Dan Mullen.

DING WE HAVE A WINNER!

Coach007
09-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Not at all. What I saw was the exact same thing I saw from most every team that played this weekend. Some emotions over the top because it's the first game, first start.

Again... nope. A team playing it's first game with new leadership is what I saw.

What I saw was the play calling changed to settle an offense. The exact same as FSU did. What I saw was play calls that saw Ross running the ball rather than being thrown to. All in the name of settling the offense.

Then I saw a lot of anger and hate from ED posters. The same ones looking for any misstep so they can continue to bash Mullen.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 12:21 PM
You know he has the fake sweep, QB run option in those plays.

Yes we do have those in our playbook. I agree.

TimberBeast
09-06-2016, 12:24 PM
No I was just making a point to Confucius say that in college football today and he'll even high level high school football that a zone read is the easiest play in the play book. I don't think williams gives us the best option to win this year but he damn sure didn't cost us that game either. He lead us on what should have been 6 scoring drives plus one other that got busted when on 3rd and 8 he couldn't even get his drop before both de's were all over him.

I don't think anyone is saying Williams cost us the game, Mullen cost us the game. It's Mullen's fault that Williams was in there but wasn't capable, and he pulled Fitz for whatever reason, and kept Williams in even though he couldn't complete a 5 yard pass in the second half. Not to mention, if you put an actual running back in the game for one quarter, it probably doesn't matter which QB actually played because we win.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Every play has a decision to be made. On the sweep to Ross you mentioned, it does have a read to go with it. If the guy over the top goes in motion with him you know they are in man coverage and fitzs keeps the ball and goes to the opposite side, if the man doesn't go in motion you know you have zone and you hand it off.

That's a way to do it sure. But it can also be pre snap determined. When the ball is flipped instead of handed off you know it's pre determined. That's what I want early. No thought required.

Oh, and a Db going with the wr in motion doesn't always mean man anymore like it use to. you are right that it's not like it was only 10 short years ago.

GTHOM
09-06-2016, 12:40 PM

And Fitz made the wrong read. He should have kept the ball would have gotten a solid play if he did. I think you have to start him next game, hes wayyyy more talented than Damian. I'd rather see him make mistakes than know we're gonna lose with 11 in there

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 01:07 PM
it was determined before the game each qb was going to get two series starting the game. Williams got in a groove and we stuck with him. Dan made the right decision by staying with Williams. It was clear he had control of the offense.

Here are some stats to look at:

Damian had 93 net rushing yards. Would have been 101 without the sack in the 3rd quarter that was 100% on the online. He had a passing efficiency rating of 126.11 with 143 yards completing 71.4% of his passes. He did all this with about 19 minutes of time of possession that he was in the game.

Defensive stats to look at and be concerned about:
37 minutes of time of possession for USA (we have to get off the damn field)
11.9 yards avg yards per catch
379 total yards to USA

Dan nor Damien cost us the game. Did Dan treat it as a scrimmage yea and he shouldn't have. Dan made the right call by keeping Damien in the game. By the time he had slowed a little it was the last series of the game and you don't want to bring Fitz in under that situation. The damn defense like elitedawgrecruiting said cost us the game. We have up 379 yards and what should have been 27 points to USA. Period end of story.

With that being said I don't think williams is the best option at qb, but I look for us to do the same thing we did last week and both qbs get two series apiece and go from that point

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Against USA it meant they were in man coverage. But to your point no it doesn't always mean man coverage, but what you are looking for on that option is if he goes in motion now I have the numbers advantage in the backside of the field vs if he doesn't go in motion the numbers advantage is to the sweep side. The option offense was designed to create a 6 on 5 numbers game thus giving you a advantage

Coach007
09-06-2016, 01:12 PM
it was determined before the game each qb was going to get two series starting the game. Williams got in a groove and we stuck with him. Dan made the right decision by staying with Williams. It was clear he had control of the offense.

Damian had 93 net rushing yards. Would have been 101 without the sack in the 3rd quarter that was 100% on the online. He had a passing efficiency rating of 126.11 with 143 yards completing 71.4% of his passes. He did all this with about 19 minutes of time of possession that he was in the game.

379 total yards to USA

Dan nor Damien cost us the game. Did Dan treat it as a scrimmage yea and he shouldn't have. Dan made the right call by keeping Damien in the game. By the time he had slowed a little it was the last series of the game and you don't want to bring Fitz in under that situation. The damn defense like elitedawgrecruiting said cost us the game. We have up 379 yards and what should have been 27 points to USA. Period end of story

Should Dan keep williams, then he has confirmed those calls here. He needs to go. Williams does not have the speed, the arm, the accuracy to play at the level we have come to expect.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Against USA it meant they were in man coverage. But to your point no it doesn't always mean man coverage, but what you are looking for on that option is if he goes in motion now I have the numbers advantage in the backside of the field vs if he doesn't go in motion the numbers advantage is to the sweep side. The option offense was designed to create a 6 on 5 numbers game thus giving you a advantage

I hope that you will consider posting more. I could be wrong, but it seems like you're educated on some of what's going on.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Correct.

But we've lost the original point. I want no thought required from nick on those first few plays. Get him settled.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 01:29 PM

379 total yards to USA

Dan nor Damien cost us the game. Did Dan treat it as a scrimmage yea and he shouldn't have. Dan made the right call by keeping Damien in the game. By the time he had slowed a little it was the last series of the game and you don't want to bring Fitz in under that situation. The damn defense like elitedawgrecruiting said cost us the game. We have up 379 yards and what should have been 27 points to USA. Period end of story.

With that being said I don't think williams is the best option at qb, but I look for us to do the same thing we did last week and both qbs get two series apiece and go from that point

Agree to disagree. We have to have a playmaker at qb to win games, either with his feet or a great passer (or both). Not a backup qb who is a game manager. And I like Damian, he just is what he is.

And yes, plenty of blame for defense too

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 01:39 PM
2nd Half

Damian completes pass to Fred Ross for 6
completes to Brandon Holloway for 11
Incomplete
Incomplete
Incomplete
48 yard FG (who knew Graves could kick it that far?)

Damian actually ran the ball really well. He had a 23 yard run and 10 yard run. Ok drive on that one. Fairly long drive so I didn't type up every run.

Next series
Complete for loss of 4 yards to Mixon.
Complete to Justin Johnson for a beautiful shovel pass for 18 yards.
Incomplete
Shump for 4 yard run
Damian 3 yard run
Punt

Next series
I personally think maybe you try and bring Fitz in here with 13 minutes left in the 4th but I understand Dan sticking with the experienced guy here in the 4th quarter

Damian 1 yard run
Incomplete
Pass interference 1st down
Holloway no gain
Holloway 8 yards but with holding call
Incomplete
Complete to Fred for 7 yards
Punt

Next series
Holloway no gain
Mixon 13 yard run
Holloway 2 yards
Damian 23 yard run
Incomplete
Complete to Fred for 0 yards
Damian takes a sack
Graves misses a 46 yard fg.

Last series
Complete to Donald Gray with a hell of a catch 14 yards
Holloway 8 yard run
Complete to Fred for -1 yards
Complete to Donald Gray 8 yards
Complete to Holloway 4 yards
Damian run 13 yards
Damian run 2 yards
Damian runs 6 yards and gets pushed to the left hash
Graves misses easy fg 28 yards but made harder from the left hash when he had already missed left earlier. Graves then takes full blame for loss on social media.

Damian would probably benefit from the option as much as Fitz. We can't run the same offense we did with Dak.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 01:43 PM
I personally think Fitz has a lot higher upside, but at the same time williams was productive Saturday and I damn sure don't fault Dan for not pulling him.

And I think williams earned the start Saturday but Fitz should get two series to see if he is more productive Saturday than williams is. If he isn't then williams needs to play.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-06-2016, 01:43 PM
48 yard FG (who knew Graves could kick it that far?)

A bit OT....I know that he missed the kicks, but our actual kicking power looks to be improved from hiring Chris Boniol.

WinningIsRelentless
09-06-2016, 01:46 PM
That second series we punted is when green got the hold call right and then we down the punt on the 1/2 yard line and miss the tackle for the safety?

The first punt were you said Damien took the sack needs to be clarified. It was not anything he could do with it, both de's were on him by the time he reached his drop.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 02:08 PM
That second series we punted is when green got the hold call right and then we down the punt on the 1/2 yard line and miss the tackle for the safety?

The first punt were you said Damien took the sack needs to be clarified. It was not anything he could do with it, both de's were on him by the time he reached his drop.

Mostly what it shows is Damian is a much better runner than he gets credit for but his passing isn't D1. He basically didn't complete a pass more than 10 or so yards. Most of his completions were within 5 yards. Damian wasn't any better at Dak offense than Fitz was. We have a lot better shot at the Relf offense with either QB. This loss is probably on Dan more than any other person including the Defense since Dan will only run bend don't break (except occasionally). I really hate bend don't break because it gets the defense in a passive mindset instead of attacking.

Liverpooldawg
09-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Not at all. What I saw was the exact same thing I saw from most every team that played this weekend. Some emotions over the top because it's the first game, first start.

Again... nope. A team playing it's first game with new leadership is what I saw.

What I saw was the play calling changed to settle an offense. The exact same as FSU did. What I saw was play calls that saw Ross running the ball rather than being thrown to. All in the name of settling the offense.

Then I saw a lot of anger and hate from ED posters. The same ones looking for any misstep so they can continue to bash Mullen.

Yep