PDA

View Full Version : Mullen and the fanbase

msstate7
09-06-2016, 09:14 AM
He's obviously lost a good many of our fans with good reason. Can you guys be won back reasonably? By reasonably I mean a 6-6 season. I'm on the fence with him. Saturday was unacceptable, but I wanna believe he can be the guy I loved so much.

justwin
09-06-2016, 09:16 AM
he needs to put the OM clock back up. period. end of story. put that clock up, it'll start to move in the right direction & everything begins to get prioritized like it used to be

the last two EB losses have done damage.

TimberBeast
09-06-2016, 09:19 AM
He's obviously lost a good many of our fans with good reason. Can you guys be won back reasonably? By reasonably I mean a 6-6 season. I'm on the fence with him. Saturday was unacceptable, but I wanna believe he can be the guy I loved so much.

No

BrunswickDawg
09-06-2016, 09:21 AM

If he shows that he is building for next year and the team progresses, then I'm ok with another year and no extension. More "DWill and the Seniors With Heart" Show and 5-7 or less, and hit the bricks Dan-o. Saturday absolutely blew the benefit of the doubt factor for me.

msstate7
09-06-2016, 09:22 AM
No

So have you entered into openly pulling against us? The only way Mullen leaves this year is 3-9 or less imo

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 09:28 AM
I want to see the 2009-2010 Dan Mullen the rest of the season. That's the only way. If he can't give a shit why should I?

TimberBeast
09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
So have you entered into openly pulling against us? The only way Mullen leaves this year is 3-9 or less imo

I wouldn't pull against State ever. But I have never liked Mullen and I have not enjoyed watching our team play for years now because the shit we do is not football. In MY opinion the longer we wait, the longer it takes to get a real coach and start over, but I also see that the bowl games, #1 for a few weeks fluke, dak, those things make it look good. But, the guy has serious football coaching flaws.

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2016, 09:32 AM
6-6 on its own does not win me back. 6-6 and him actually showing he cares might. Right now I can't help but think he is just mailing it in. I've gotten the sense that he no longer wants to be here. Now whether that is because he just does't like it here any more or he's tired of competing against the worst cheaters since SMU while somewhat trying to do things the right way I don't know. I don't care either. Regardless of the reason, if he does not want to be here then I don't want him here. And I sure don't want someone here that does not want to be here and them struggle for bowl eligibility. I'd just like to honestly know where he stands as far as commitment to MSU football goes.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-06-2016, 09:34 AM

At this point, I don't think there is anything he can say to smooth the waters. The relationship kind of like dating a hot girl who likes you a lot, but she always wonders if there is someone better around the next corner. How long do you put up with the bs before she cheats or leaves you for another because you're afraid you won't find one as good as her? It's time for Mullen to show us something instead of feeding us excuses.

Really Clark?
09-06-2016, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't pull against State ever. But I have never liked Mullen and I have not enjoyed watching our team play for years now because the shit we do is not football. In MY opinion the longer we wait, the longer it takes to get a real coach and start over, but I also see that the bowl games, #1 for a few weeks fluke, dak, those things make it look good. But, the guy has serious football coaching flaws.

Well we scratch you off the objective category. If you could not enjoy at the very least 2010 and 2014 seasons then you are hating strickly on emotions. Not even going to get into what you think is football.

Dawgology
09-06-2016, 09:41 AM

He would have to win the rest of the "supposed to win" games, beat two of SC, Kentucky, and Auburn and also beat either LSU, BAMA, or tSun. That's pretty much the only way I would get back on board with him at this point. Honestly though I see us with wins of Samford, UMass and SC to finish out the season. MAYBE one more somewhere (Kentucky or BYU??). Shaping up to be a 3-4 win season.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2016, 09:43 AM
If he shows that he is building for next year and the team progresses, then I'm ok with another year and no extension. More "DWill and the Seniors With Heart" Show and 5-7 or less, and hit the bricks Dan-o. Saturday absolutely blew the benefit of the doubt factor for me.

I'm at this point as well. Play the best players from here on out, show some progress and get some intesity back out there. If all that doesn't happen it'll all take care of itself cause this season will be a bust and the losses will continue and we will have a new coach come 2017. I'm waiting to see what happens saturday and see if he still has the team and the locker room. We will know all we need to know Saturday night.

shoeless joe
09-06-2016, 09:44 AM
If we go 6-6 at this point that means We would have beaten someone we prolly shouldn't have. Which would be a step up for Dan. I could handle us not making a bowl of we'd put fitz and aeris in and run the ball consistently and see improvement thru the year.

But I do not expect those things to happen and I do not expect 6-6. I said before the year I expected us to lose a game we shouldn't but win a game we shouldn't. However I wasn't expecting a complete coaching shit show that I saw Saturday.

The time is getting very very near...

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 09:58 AM
6-6 wins me back as long as the other 5 losses aren't by an average of 35 points. I appreciate the foundation of winning Mullen has built but not being competitive against UNM and Bama has to end. The last 2 Egg Bowls have been embarrassing and I don't even expect a chance at a win against Bama. We have always gave Bama a tough time and the last few years we aren't any more competitive than UK or Vanderbilt.

dawgday166
09-06-2016, 10:00 AM

I thought 2010 was good season but had no QB. Then 2011, 2012, 2013 happened. Even tho we beat OM, we were very average and I figured we'd be mediocre at best with Dan. Especially since there was so much coaching turnover each year.

Going into 2014 I had seen some things at the end of 2013 that made me feel that team could be damn good. I almost put down a long shot bet in Vegas on the NC, due to the long odds. Then we exploded out of the gates, could run the ball well, played pretty decent D, D backfield seemed to clamp down when they needed to for most part, Dak was Dak, etc.

I wasn't terribly upset with the Bama loss, even tho I thought Dan himself blew it. The D played lights out that game. But, that's his first time in that position and I'm hoping he'll learn from it. Then the OM debacle where we should've destroyed them and Dan throwing Collins and D staff under the bus. I didn't like that. Dan lost both those games in my mind. Team wasn't ready mentally to play, and that's on head coach.

The offensive staff had seemed to become settled (no one jumping ship all the time) and, because of 2010 I liked Diaz coming back. But last year losing games we should've won (LSU, A&M) and losing to OM like we did with out O-line and running game stinking up the joint ... I wasn't happy about that. Then the whole D staff turnover when for the most part Dan's teams don't run the ball very well, with the exception of 2010 and 2014 ... I'm not getting it.

The D staff turnover is like a carousel. The obsession he has with the D puzzles me since the only times our O has been consistent is 2014. Each year with exception of 2009 and 2014 we've had at least 4 games scoring 20 or less, and against some mediocre to poor opponents too (Can anyone say USA?). I believe in a strong D, but it looks the same no matter the coordinator.

Last night I saw a true O coordinator (Jimbo - the Head Coach) sitting on the bench with his young QB calming him down and discussing the game with him, DURING THE GAME. Does Dan do that? Hell no, he's too concerned if the D is playing well (and ready to jump all over the D coordinator is they give up a score).

He needs to get his O scoring 35-40/game - every game that ain't Bama. He's SUPPOSED to be a brilliant offensive coordinator ... but hell I can predict what most plays will be before the snap. And I'm really tired of such poor special teams play. We don't have to win every game but I sure would like us to look like a pretty good, well-organized, and disciplined football team - yet we don't and quite often too. We too often look like a C-USA or Sun Belt team.

Dan never works on his deficiencies. His clock management still sucks. The O-line sucks most every year. He still micromanages the D-coordinator. He still throws D staff and players under the bus - and never blames himself or any of the offensive staff for not getting it done. Young D players sometimes get to play, but on O that rarely happens and if it does, they get 3 or 4 touches a game at most (like Dear - who needs way more touches). And I scratch my head as to how, when we do get a 4* offensive player, they almost never pan out for us -- why is that? I'm beginning to think that he and Hev have a dislike for 4 & 5 * players or something.

The one thing I thought he was really good at - QB development, really ain't even there. Dak was much more driven and better than I even thought, and I thought he was pretty damn good.

I would like to see him turn it around, but I don't think it will happen. And if it does, it will be a brief flash in the pan.

GreenheadDawg
09-06-2016, 10:08 AM

He's going to have to show me that he gives a shit about the university that I love. My biggest problem with him is complacency and lack of fire. People make mistakes. Coaches and players aren't perfect. I can deal with his arrogance and hard headedness. What I can't get passed is his general lackadaisical attitude toward the program. He once had a fire about him and he has lost that. Why do you think Saban is so good at what he does? He wins Nattys like he's drawing his name out of a hat but he never loses that fire. Always looks for ways to improve. Mullen doesn't have that attitude. He has looked for a way out of Starkville around every possible corner. He wants out and I think we should help him with that

TimberBeast
09-06-2016, 10:16 AM
I thought 2010 was good season but had no QB. Then 2011, 2012, 2013 happened. Even tho we beat OM, we were very average and I figured we'd be mediocre at best with Dan. Especially since there was so much coaching turnover each year.

Going into 2014 I had seen some things at the end of 2013 that made me feel that team could be damn good. I almost put down a long shot bet in Vegas on the NC, due to the long odds. Then we exploded out of the gates, could run the ball well, played pretty decent D, D backfield seemed to clamp down when they needed to for most part, Dak was Dak, etc.

I wasn't terribly upset with the Bama loss, even tho I thought Dan himself blew it. The D played lights out that game. But, that's his first time in that position and I'm hoping he'll learn from it. Then the OM debacle where we should've destroyed them and Dan throwing Collins and D staff under the bus. I didn't like that. Dan lost both those games in my mind. Team wasn't ready mentally to play, and that's on head coach.

The offensive staff had seemed to become settled (no one jumping ship all the time) and, because of 2010 I liked Diaz coming back. But last year losing games we should've won (LSU, A&M) and losing to OM like we did with out O-line and running game stinking up the joint ... I wasn't happy about that. Then the whole D staff turnover when for the most part Dan's teams don't run the ball very well, with the exception of 2010 and 2014 ... I'm not getting it.

The D staff turnover is like a carousel. The obsession he has with the D puzzles me since the only times our O has been consistent is 2014. Each year with exception of 2009 and 2014 we've had at least 4 games scoring 20 or less, and against some mediocre to poor opponents too (Can anyone say USA?). I believe in a strong D, but it looks the same no matter the coordinator.

Last night I saw a true O coordinator (Jimbo - the Head Coach) sitting on the bench with his young QB calming him down and discussing the game with him, DURING THE GAME. Does Dan do that? Hell no, he's too concerned if the D is playing well (and ready to jump all over the D coordinator is they give up a score).

He needs to get his O scoring 35-40/game - every game that ain't Bama. He's SUPPOSED to be a brilliant offensive coordinator ... but hell I can predict what most plays will be before the snap. And I'm really tired of such poor special teams play. We don't have to win every game but I sure would like us to look like a pretty good, well-organized, and disciplined football team - yet we don't and quite often too. We too often look like a C-USA or Sun Belt team.

Dan never works on his deficiencies. His clock management still sucks. The O-line sucks most every year. He still micromanages the D-coordinator. He still throws D staff and players under the bus - and never blames himself or any of the offensive staff for not getting it done. Young D players sometimes get to play, but on O that rarely happens and if it does, they get 3 or 4 touches a game at most (like Dear - who needs way more touches). And I scratch my head as to how, when we do get a 4* offensive player, they almost never pan out for us -- why is that? I'm beginning to think that he and Hev have a dislike for 4 & 5 * players or something.

The one thing I thought he was really good at - QB development, really ain't even there. Dak was much more driven and better than I even thought, and I thought he was pretty damn good.

I would like to see him turn it around, but I don't think it will happen. And if it does, it will be a brief flash in the pan.

Very good post.

NCDawg
09-06-2016, 10:50 AM
6-6 wins me back as long as the other 5 losses aren't by an average of 35 points. I appreciate the foundation of winning Mullen has built but not being competitive against UNM and Bama has to end. The last 2 Egg Bowls have been embarrassing and I don't even expect a chance at a win against Bama. We have always gave Bama a tough time and the last few years we aren't any more competitive than UK or Vanderbilt.

I'm afraid this year's Egg Bowl is going to be worse than the last 2. I doubt whether our DB's will be good enough to cover their W/R's, and Kelly is going to burn us all game long. BTW, after 8 years, I will not be satisfied with 6-6.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:53 AM
I'm afraid this year's Egg Bowl is going to be worse than the last 2. I doubt whether our DB's will be good enough to cover their W/R's, and Kelly is going to burn us all game long. BTW, after 8 years, I will not be satisfied with 6-6.

I think this year's Egg Bowl is going to be what gets Mullen fired if we aren't bowl eligible before the game. Unless our Pass D improves by around 1000% then AJ Brown is probably laughing at MSU as he scores 3 or so TDs.

dawgday166
09-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Very good post.

Thanks and to add one more tidbit. Not only does he not work on his deficiencies, but he is defiant and arrogant about them. Does anyone remember the 2014 Auburn game where he tried the 4th down fake punt from our own end of field when we were up 23 - 6 or something like that before halftime? When asked about it he said he came to win. Well, I was thinking at time he might've blown that game giving them an easy score. Fortunately he didn't and the D bailed his butt out on that one.