PDA

View Full Version : Our talent level

lamont
09-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Is not where it is just because other programs are cheating and we are moderately clean. It's our lack of effort in recruiting that has caused a lot of this.

I take you back to just this Feb- we signed 3 guys on the OL. THREE. It would have only been 2 had we not hired T-Buck- who was able to poach our highest rated OL signee from being slow-played by Fla State. It took T-Buck just THREE WEEKS to sign the highest rated OL player in the class. A class that John Hevesy had been working on for 3 years. Coming off 19 wins the last 2 years. Winning is supposed to make recruiting easier right?

Our efforts in recruiting have been amped up since Sirmon and T-Buck came on board. But that only helps the future. We are having to endure the present. Go look at the classes we signed in 2013 and 2014- you will see why we are where we are.

lamont
09-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Our lack of effort in recruiting compared to other staffs is a huge reason we are where we are. Money only plays a part in a few instances per class

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Why recruit your ass off when you have no plans of being here in the next year?

The staff has been going through motions for two years now because they thought they wouldn't be here. It's completely unfair to the this university & state what has happened since being #1.

Sure they showed up to work, made the phone calls, took the trips, etc, but like a high school SR with senioritis, you just go through the motions when you don't believe you'll directly benefits from your effort.

We need hunger, non-complacency, a commitment to the future in that building. Coaches at LSU, Alabama, etc live with this every day because they view their job as the pinnacle & they desperately want to stay there. It frustrates me to no end that we pay what we do & get a coaching staff that goes through the motions

justwin
09-06-2016, 09:27 AM
any coach worth a shit can mask overall talent with playcalling and maximizing snaps to your best players.

Make no mistake, I vote for a clean program.

We have enough good players at key positions to compete with anyone (sans Bama). Year in and year out. We are playing Shump too much last year from beating LSU twice in a row.

I know you like to harp on the OL, but here's the deal about OL. OL do NOT like to retreat a majority of the time with pass pro ~ last year with Dak. It's unnatural for a 6'5" 300+ guy to not hit others. You have to let the OL come off the ball and hit someone via run blocking to remain tough. We have two big QBs and 4 big RBs that have proven on the field in spring games and mock up that they fall forward to get more than what the play is blocked for just by being physical. We know for a fact that Holloway and DW cannot pound the ball. Clear as day.

People forget that Fitz played 4Q vs Bama last year and moved the ball running and dragging players. Yeah, it was Bama 2nd string, but those guys are as good as most team's first string.

Got to run the ball.

mic
09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
#countryclubboys

AlSwearengen
09-06-2016, 09:48 AM
yep. Between our own bad recruiters (mullen's buddys) and olemiss trying to put a fork in us with their tactics, we are behind the eight ball. You won't see me bitch about any bad defensive play this year. At least those guys will bring in some players.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Still no excuse to lose to South Alabama. I agree overall though.

HSVDawg
09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
I don't think there is any question that all of the above is true. It's one thing to not sign as good of players as you want, but it's another thing altogether to not sign players period or not sign the highly rated guys like Lashley who fall in your lap. Having 18 or 19 spots available and only signing 12 guys is inexcusable. Having a 4 star lineman 15 minutes from campus who confides in one of your all time greatest players as a mentor, and not being able to close the deal because you are too lazy to put in the work to show him the love is inexcusable. OM getting the death penalty wouldn't change any of that.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2016, 10:07 AM
I don't think there is any question that all of the above is true. It's one thing to not sign as good of players as you want, but it's another thing altogether to not sign players period or not sign the highly rated guys like Lashley who fall in your lap. Having 18 or 19 spots available and only signing 12 guys is inexcusable. Having a 4 star lineman 15 minutes from campus who confides in one of your all time greatest players as a mentor, and not being able to close the deal because you are too lazy to put in the work to show him the love is inexcusable. OM getting the death penalty wouldn't change any of that.

That's what is really depressing. They could get hammered, and even after sanctions, transfers, etc., they'd still have enough residual talent left to beat us every year, or at least more than they should considering the circumstances.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:13 AM

The lack of players on scholarship just compounds the problem of not getting high rated players. It is like Dan isn't willing to process players once they come here. Dan needs to go over to Cohen's office to find out how to cut players who aren't going to help us win. Saban does it and he already gets the best players. He is constantly looking on how to improve.

Bothrops
09-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Where we lack talent

OL-inexplicably bad recruiting

DL-a few of our big guys might not start for USM

WR- not bad here, but lack a couple of tall guys that we shouldn't have lost last year. Not Mullen's fault.

CB- I'd like to see what any other coaching staff would do with this group under another HC. I bet we'd be surprised.

maroonmania
09-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Why recruit your ass off when you have no plans of being here in the next year?

The staff has been going through motions for two years now because they thought they wouldn't be here. It's completely unfair to the this university & state what has happened since being #1.

Shotgun speaketh the truth!

maroonmania
09-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Still no excuse to lose to South Alabama. I agree overall though.

Sure, we should have beaten USA, BUT when your talent pool lessens like ours has and then you throw in a few injuries (like Cleveland and Jiles) and a few suspensions (like James, Simmons and Dear) NOW you are starting to see a razor thin margin to beat most anyone in FBS with a pulse.

basedog
09-06-2016, 01:58 PM
From what I've been told, our administration has some serious anger or unhappiness right now. I think the word was given to our football coach mostly about loyalty.