PDA

View Full Version : Mullen Press Conference Today: What do you want to hear?

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2016, 08:51 AM
I realize that there is a 99.9999% chance of this thing being all coach speak, but, since Mullen lacks court awareness with fans & the media, here is his cheat sheet of what I do & don't want to hear.

Don't want to hear

1. I don't want to hear anything about execution & how the coaches had the players in position to make plays

2. I don't want hear about being young

3. I don't want to hear about playing guys with experience

4. I don't want to hear about fan support

5. I don't want to hear about how 50% of teams lost this weekend

What I do want to hear

1. This program starts with me. I have to be better, show more leadership, & better prepare my team to win.

2. What happened on Saturday is completely unacceptable &, in this program, we have high standards & more pride than that.

3. I should have handled the QB situation better

4. We need leaders, no matter what year in school, to step up this week. Our season is on the line, &, from the coaching staff down, we've got to perform

5. Getting this program back on track starts today & it's up to everyone in the building to make that happen

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm hoping that smirk after the missed FG was him realizing he can't just mail it in any more and he says something to that effect. Really hope that was his lightbulb moment. I hope another light bulb moment happened and the AD and some cigar boys had a nice chat with him. At the presser today I just want to see some semblance of fire and give a damn.

msstate7
09-06-2016, 09:06 AM
I really don't care what he says in this presser. What I care about is what he does in practice today. I hope we have a physical practice where jobs are wide open again.

Gutter Cobreh
09-06-2016, 09:06 AM
I would like to hear him acknowledge his mistakes on Saturday and accept all responsibility.

I would like to hear him acknowledge that our kicker has more balls than he does with the way he's handled the loss.

I would like for him to announce that Tiano is now the starter, since Williams isn't very good and Fitz is a head case.

I would like to see some emotion as it relates to the game against South Carolina.

If none of those things happen, I'd be happy to hear him say he is stepping down (ala Steve Spurrier)

justwin
09-06-2016, 09:35 AM
I realize that there is a 99.9999% chance of this thing being all coach speak, but, since Mullen lacks court awareness with fans & the media, here is his cheat sheet of what I do & don't want to hear.

Don't want to hear

1. I don't want to hear anything about execution & how the coaches had the players in position to make plays

What I do want to hear

1. This program starts with me. I have to be better, show more leadership, & better prepare my team to win.

2. What happened on Saturday is completely unacceptable &, in this program, we have high standards & more pride than that.

4. We need leaders, no matter what year in school, to step up this week. Our season is on the line, &, from the coaching staff down, we've got to perform

5. Getting this program back on track starts today & it's up to everyone in the building to make that happen

All of this.

on #4 below, in order for leaders to thrive the HC Mullen has to publicly support them. Had Mullen decided last spring/summer/fall on Fitz or Tiano, he should've come out publicly and proclaimed it so we all know & most importantly, the players know. Football is routine & I've never understood not naming a starting QB. Chit only happens in college. Never in the NFL. Name a guy, stick with him. A coach should, especially the QB whisper Mullen, should know in about 5 minutes of the first practice on who his best QB and RB are. No more participation awards, I'm sick of that chit. Play the best players and W/L with them.

But yeah, Mullen needs to be a man and quit with the "stuff" and "coachspeak" comments. "As of today, Nick Fitz (or Tiano) is our QB and they will receive all first team reps this week and forward". College is all about the QB and he needs to publicly instill leadership in his young "leaders" so they can relax and "lead".

DawgFromOxford
09-06-2016, 09:35 AM
I would like to hear why we have an experience OL but can't open up a run game against South Alabama

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 09:45 AM
I would like to hear why after 4 weeks as the #1 college football team in the country and a stellar QB on the Heisman short list we can't recruit worth a damn the last two years.

Bucky Dog
09-06-2016, 09:53 AM

Don't want to hear

What I do want to hear

I agree with this, and would like to hear him publicly back Fitz as the starter and show confidence in him and say he is working with him to get better.

HoopsCoach21
09-06-2016, 10:08 AM
I would like to hear why we have an experience OL but can't open up a run game against South Alabama

I think a lot of that can be explained with us running Holloway up the middle over and over. Holloway has the tools to be a good weapon for the offense but that is not where he can help us. The OL while not great by any means can only do so much. Which begs some other questions. Why can we not find a reliable running back to get the tough yards up the middle? Why not give A. Williams or one of the other backs more opportunities? Does it really take our running backs 3 years to learn our system where in every other program in the country RB is one of the main positions freshmen come in and contribute immediately?

I'm beginning to question our running backs coach's recruiting, and personnel decisions as much, if not more than our OL coach.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2016, 10:12 AM
I want to fat Mullen back. Skinny Mullen sucks. He's a pretty boy, pretentious, spoiled coach without drive. Fat Mullen is an asshole that pushed his players beyond their limit.

https://resize.rbl.ms/simage/https%3A%2F%2Fassets.rbl.ms%2F4976070%2F980x.jpg/2000,2000/DjXojLJHJJc%2B0nWq/img.jpg

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/usp_ncaa_football__mississippi_state_at_lsu_526377 33.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

DawgFromOxford
09-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Why don't we actively recruit a place kicker? There are hundreds of JUCO/D2/D3 kids who are better than what we've got that would love to play at an SEC school for free. It's not like we don't have the scholarships to give out

TimberBeast
09-06-2016, 10:44 AM
"I have enjoyed my time at Mississippi State but I am moving on to be the coach at where the hell ever".

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 10:50 AM
I just want to hear him take responsibility for being outcoached in the 2nd half. I also want to hear how we are going to involve our other RBs not named Shumpert.

msujan
09-06-2016, 10:56 AM
At Dawg Talk last Thursday I specifically asked him about kickers and punters and he gave a canned response to the effect that "we're ok there" (paraphrasing!). Funny how things come around.

PMDawg
09-06-2016, 11:12 AM
"I have enjoyed my time at Mississippi State but I am moving on to be the coach at where the hell ever".

+1

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2016, 11:22 AM
I realize that there is a 100.00000% chance of this thing being all coach speak,

FIFY

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM

Nice, but instead we'll get: "Well, 50% of the coaches giving press conferences today lost this weekend."

dawgday166
09-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Some humility

shoeless joe
09-06-2016, 11:33 AM
I'd actually like to hear him take a page out of croom's playbook and tell us how physical a team we are going to be and that we're going to run it down USCs throat Saturday. Even tho we sucked in every phase of offense back then other teams knew they had played a physical team.

This orta get some positive replies**

Mjoelner34
09-06-2016, 11:35 AM
What I do want to hear

6. That we are moving Holloway to the slot where he can still catch bubble screens and run jet sweeps since neither of those two plays are run right into the teeth of the D.

7. Shump will be used as a fullback.

8. A. Williams, Lee, Murphy and Gibson will all get playing time to show what they can do and the best one will rise to the top.

9. The D line and LB's will become more aggressive so as to not allow a QB all day to pick apart our pathetic secondary.

10. QB snaps will be split between Fitz and Tiano again with the best rising to the top. Its not just about this year but next year too.

11. We will rotate CB's and Safeties all the way down to True Freshmen until we find people that know their assignments and can perform on the field.

12. We will have an open competition among students (girls included) for FG kicker. ***When was the last time we made a pressure kick to win or tie a game? Was it when JWS was here? Can't think of one off top of my head.***

Swami Dawg
09-06-2016, 11:40 AM
I am wanting to be knowing where I can buy some nice short pants like Merlens here in India. I sent in question to him via twitter but no got response yet. Maybe him will being asked at conference today.

https://s10.postimg.org/u9penk815/clueless_bullen.jpg

Swami

blacklistedbully
09-06-2016, 12:02 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?47339-What-Dan-gave-us-then-what-we-should-have-got-from-him

Political Hack
09-06-2016, 12:12 PM
"sorry. That's on me. It'll never happen again."

Mjoelner34
09-06-2016, 12:14 PM
"sorry. That's on me. It'll never happen again."

LOL "We'll never lose to that team again!"

blacklistedbully
09-06-2016, 12:16 PM
What he gave us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLUFrRfEAw

What we should have got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI

Anybody else feel like the Jack Nicholson character?

Coach007
09-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Don't want to hear

What I do want to hear

I want to hear 1 thing and one thing only.

"Fitz will be our starter and he's got to step up, we are going to give him the reins and time to settle into a flow"

Bothrops
09-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Some humility

This would go a long way.

DownwardDawg
09-06-2016, 12:55 PM
It's over. There's not much he can say at this point that would matter other than "bye".

bluelightstar
09-06-2016, 01:12 PM
This is a classic Mullen press conference.

On offense, "O-line played well. I wouldn't really change how I played the quarterbacks. Mostly fine."

On defense, "issues everywhere that we need to fix."

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 01:15 PM

On offense, "O-line played well. I wouldn't really change how I played the quarterbacks. Mostly fine."

You're shitting me? He said this?

bluelightstar
09-06-2016, 01:18 PM

That's what my coworker just told me, so I went to Bonner's updates. I see his quotes about defense and QBs (don't see the O-line). Interestingly, he says he plans to use Smitherman and Peters like he did last week (which was apparently not at all?).

ETA: On the bright side, "Mullen says the running backs didn't get enough touches last week to see any separation. He's going to work as hard as he can to get others touches."

ETA2: Found the offensive line quote: Mullen said he thought the offensive line played well the majority of the game but, like many positions, had a few critical errors that affected the game negatively.

dawgday166
09-06-2016, 01:19 PM

At the half of each game and after every game.

TNDawg35
09-06-2016, 01:21 PM
He didnt say they had issues everywhere meaning issues on D. He said Issues everywhere meaning ON THE WHOLE TEAM. I just watched it. To me a very vanilla, please dont ask me tough questions and if you do, im gonna beat around the bush press conference. I actually feel worse about us now after watching that shit show. For one, he seems he could care less, and 2, he thinks everything is all and well...

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2016, 01:23 PM
He failed. Has no feel for his fan base

bluelightstar
09-06-2016, 01:23 PM
He didnt say they had issues everywhere meaning issues on D. He said Issues everywhere meaning ON THE WHOLE TEAM. I just watched it. To me a very vanilla, please dont ask me tough questions and if you do, im gonna beat around the bush press conference. I actually feel worse about us now after watching that shit show. For one, he seems he could care less, and 2, he thinks everything is all and well...

Okay, Bonner tweeted: Mullen on defense: There were issues everywhere that we need to fix.

I haven't gotten to watch the conference yet, so relying on social media.

fishwater99
09-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Wow... It's never his fault. What an arrogant prick..

mic
09-06-2016, 01:46 PM
If you thought Mullen was Still ALL IN on being here..
Listen to the presser and get back to me..

Our AD should have followed him into his office, closed the door, and ripped his ass apart..
Or better yet followed behind him on the podium and said I would like to announce the firing of head coach Dan Mullen..

But this is SS we are talking about..

confucius say
09-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Anybody got a link?

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 01:54 PM

We are so screwed. His intro music should be Comfortably Numb.

TNDawg35
09-06-2016, 02:02 PM
If you thought Mullen was Still ALL IN on being here..
Listen to the presser and get back to me..

Our AD should have followed him into his office, closed the door, and ripped his ass apart..
Or better yet followed behind him on the podium and said I would like to announce the firing of head coach Dan Mullen..

But this is SS we are talking about..

I took it that Mullen does not give 2 shits about being here anymore and nothing will change this wknd. We are in big trouble. I would put my life savings on it that he will not be here next yr. Something is going on.

preachermatt83
09-06-2016, 02:06 PM
I would like to hear him acknowledge his mistakes on Saturday and accept all responsibility.

I would like to hear him acknowledge that our kicker has more balls than he does with the way he's handled the loss.

I would like for him to announce that Tiano is now the starter, since Williams isn't very good and Fitz is a head case.

I would like to see some emotion as it relates to the game against South Carolina.

If none of those things happen, I'd be happy to hear him say he is stepping down (ala Steve Spurrier)

+10000

ILOATHEBears
09-06-2016, 02:24 PM
I took it that Mullen does not give 2 shits about being here anymore and nothing will change this wknd. We are in big trouble. I would put my life savings on it that he will not be here next yr. Something is going on.

Download the bulldog sports radio app and listen to this sh!t show. He said he didn't plan on changing much of the game plan at all for this weekend. Said he would like to give other guys touches but said there was only one football. NO 17ing joke. He said that. So that's why we can't get other rbs in the game cause there is only one ball so touches are limited. He has no fire. It's ah this ah that. He doesn't give a 17