PDA

View Full Version : Bo ripped Dan a new A hole this morning

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 07:50 AM
But the statement that stood out was this: You can't go 4-8 at MSU anymore and expect to keep your job. Those days are gone.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Well if that turns out to be true I will thank Dan on his way out for raising expectations here.

Bothrops
09-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Any excerpts? I just missed it.

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Any excerpts? I just missed it.

He hit Dan hard on recruiting and said we have CUSA talent in too many areas.

He said Dan set Fitz up to fail on the first series and tosses him away instead of working with him and building confidence.

He also said somebody needs to remind Dan that Dak isn't the QB anymore and you can't expect the new guys to throw 5 tds even on USA.

He touched on Dan's complacency and by his inside knowledge that that ain't sitting well with the movers and shakers.

He said Dan is coaching for his job Saturday and if Boom beats the brakes off us it is going to get ugly for him very quickly.

Thick
09-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Can't argue with Bo. He's right!

RougeDawg
09-06-2016, 08:17 AM

He said Dan set Fitz up to fail on the first series and tosses him away instead of working with him and building confidence.

He also said somebody needs to remind Dan that Dak isn't the QB anymore and you can't expect the new guys to throw 5 tds even on USA.

He touched on Dan's complacency and by his inside knowledge that that ain't sitting well with the movers and shakers.

He said Dan is coaching for his job Saturday and if Boom beats the brakes off us it is going to get ugly for him very quickly.

Not directed at you, but hasn't all of this already been said on this board? Guess we are now Bo's show prep along with the Bears investigation news. You are welcome Bo.

TNDawg35
09-06-2016, 08:33 AM

I totally agree with this statement. Like i said Sunday, I felt like Dan started Fitz just to shut people up, but had full intentions off staying with Damien the rest of the game. I have little hope that we will see change. I also would hope that he would not have called plays he knew were bad for Fitz and out him in that situation.

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 08:50 AM
I totally agree with this statement. Like i said Sunday, I felt like Dan started Fitz just to shut people up, but had full intentions off staying with Damien the rest of the game. I have little hope that we will see change. I also would hope that he would not have called plays he knew were bad for Fitz and out him in that situation.

I think Dan wants Damien to start because he is an upperclassman but knows that Nick is better.

defiantdog
09-06-2016, 08:55 AM

Bo is right on here..... Mullen needs to find that fire again.

HereComesTheSpiral
09-06-2016, 09:06 AM

Hope this isn't true.

HoopsDawg
09-06-2016, 09:09 AM
I think Dan wants Damien to start because he is an upperclassman but knows that Nick is better.

That's such a ridiculous statement.

msstate7
09-06-2016, 09:11 AM
That's such a ridiculous statement.

Well it's crazy town here and quite frankly Mullen is to blame

fishwater99
09-06-2016, 09:12 AM

So true, just look at our RB. I am so sick of this uperclassmen crap.

BrunswickDawg
09-06-2016, 09:15 AM
I'm going to throw a theory out there about old Danny Boy. Dan was a guy who wanted to be a football player. He ate and breathed football and worked his tail off and all he could do was be a solid TE for a D3 school. But, he worked his tail off. Dan has no understanding of naturally gifted athletes. The types who can walk on the field and just take over from God given talent. They can dick around in practice, and stay out all night, but come Saturday they just win. Dan seems to almost resent those types. JRob, Boobie, Fitz, Nick James - I know there are others - all seem like they have fit that mold and have been punished for it. We are damn lucky that Dak seemed to be able to balance the work/play ratio - or at least know what the limits were for Dan - or he might not have ever seen the field. I realize that we have to have structure and discipline within the program, but you can't get pissed off at guys for not putting in extra work (which seems to be what Fitz is punished for). You give them time off and you can't get pissed that they take time and go home, or go see friends, or party, or have a 3 day drunk (as long as they don't wind up in the clink). Not everybody works that way - especially 20 year olds.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm going to throw a theory out there about old Danny Boy. Dan was a guy who wanted to be a football player. He ate and breathed football and worked his tail off and all he could do was be a solid TE for a D3 school. But, he worked his tail off. Dan has no understanding of naturally gifted athletes. The types who can walk on the field and just take over from God given talent. They can dick around in practice, and stay out all night, but come Saturday they just win. Dan seems to almost resent those types. JRob, Boobie, Fitz, Nick James - I know there are others - all seem like they have fit that mold and have been punished for it. We are damn lucky that Dak seemed to be able to balance the work/play ratio - or at least know what the limits were for Dan - or he might not have ever seen the field. I realize that we have to have structure and discipline within the program, but you can't get pissed off at guys for not putting in extra work (which seems to be what Fitz is punished for). You give them time off and you can't get pissed that they take time and go home, or go see friends, or party, or have a 3 day drunk (as long as they don't wind up in the clink). Not everybody works that way - especially 20 year olds.

I don't disagree with your premise here, but the problem is that you just described most every power 5 coach.

Which SEC coaches were good players?

Kirby Smart was good at Georgia
Muschamp was a captain at Georgia

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-06-2016, 09:22 AM
But the statement that stood out was this: You can't go 4-8 at MSU anymore and expect to keep your job. Those days are gone.

Good! He needs it! I have been a Mullen fan since the beginning but I think he should move on.

Political Hack
09-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Fitz isn't starting because he's not carrying the torch the way a starting QB should off the field. I'll leave it at that. You can argue whether that's right or not, but that's what it is.

The QB situation is only one of about 10 issues that need to be fixed though. Everyone keeps talking about Williams vs Fitz. It honestly doesn't matter as much as the collective deficiencies on this team: secondary, OL, RB, K, etc... just to name a few other positions that could've shown up Saturday. Not to mention Dan looks to have lost his fire, doesn't make his OL coach recruit, lets his ego build every December with every other coaching opening while our recruiting tanks, etc...

There's a lot that needs to be cleaned up and QB is the least of my concerns.

RougeDawg
09-06-2016, 09:24 AM
I don't disagree with your premise here, but the problem is that you just described most every power 5 coach.

So every power 5 coach plays seniority over ability? That's what he's saying and we have prime examples of it, and they all fit a certain mold. All of these players have a unique personality and do not conform to "military standards". They do their own thing but were some of the most talented players we've had at each position. Dan wants conformity and all Mullen robots. If you don't, you don't play. This is the biggest factor INO that has hurt us recruiting. Sure every coach says do things my way but there is a limit on the areas each coach ecpects a player to conform. From what I can gather, Dan wants full conformity in just about every aspect of life. You cannot do that in football, work, or even tiddlywinks.

HoopsDawg
09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Fitz isn't starting because he's not carrying the torch the way a starting QB should off the field. I'll leave it at that. You can argue whether that's right or not, but that's what it is.

The QB situation is only one of about 10 issues that need to be fixed though. Everyone keeps talking about Williams vs Fitz. It honestly doesn't matter as much as the collective deficiencies on this team: secondary, OL, RB, K, etc... just to name a few other positions that could've shown up Saturday. Not to mention Dan looks to have lost his fire, doesn't make his OL coach recruit, lets his ego build every December with every other coaching opening while our recruiting tanks, etc...

Preach.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Dan called the game like Dak was still there. He didn't put either QB in a situation to be successful. Damian looked decent running the option but having him throw it 30 times was a disaster.

BrunswickDawg
09-06-2016, 09:32 AM

True, but, not every coach seems to dog house so much talent for things that are not legal or "team rules" issues. Mullen, Freeze, butch Jones and McIlwain are the only 4 SEC coaches who didn't play FBS or FCS football. I don't know that you see the other 3 dog housing talented players like Dan does - I could be wrong, I don't follow those programs.

BrunswickDawg
09-06-2016, 09:33 AM

I bet Fitz and John Bond would be fun as hell on a road trip though...

GTHOM
09-06-2016, 09:47 AM
I think everyone is willing to give him saturday and see what happens. I personally want him gone and tired of the same ol BS but he's got one more game, if we lose this will be his last year in my opinion.

JoseBrown
09-06-2016, 10:01 AM

John Bond did say he thought Fitz would start and be our QB this year.

There are a lot of good points made in this thread. I like the one probably being misunderstood the most. The point about Dan not being a high level ball player, and having to work his ass off to get on the field. So that's the type player he prefers to play. That's not saying anyone else that didn't play football must do it Dans way for the theory to be true. I think what it means is only that Dan looks at it that way, and I can see that being the case. The problem was accurately pointed out that some players are just at a higher level than others. And don't need all the extra stuff off the field to excel. Problem is they are not being allowed a chance to excel, and that is hurting the program. Not every kid or coach will be just alike. They aren't robots.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
You're insane. Just moderate QB play Saturday would have resulted in a 42-7 type beatdown.

Bothrops
09-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Thanks.

I agree with most of this, however when he says we have CUSA talent at some positions, it's important to keep in mind that he's comparing us to USM.

If played last Saturday, USM beats the following SEC teams

Kentucky
Vandy
South Carolina

& possibly

Arkansas
Mizzou

Just something to think about.

BrunswickDawg
09-06-2016, 10:14 AM
John Bond did say he thought Fitz would start and be our QB this year.

There are a lot of good points made in this thread. I like the one probably being misunderstood the most. The point about Dan not being a high level ball player, and having to work his ass off to get on the field. So that's the type player he prefers to play. That's not saying anyone else that didn't play football must do it Dans way for the theory to be true. I think what it means is only that Dan looks at it that way, and I can see that being the case. The problem was accurately pointed out that some players are just at a higher level than others. And don't need all the extra stuff off the field to excel. Problem is they are not being allowed a chance to excel, and that is hurting the program. Not every kid or coach will be just alike. They aren't robots.

Bingo - that is what I was trying to get to. It's like the football version of Hulk Hogan's "training, prayers, and vitamins". I think Dan got lucky that we had some scrappy workers that he took a chance on early on at State who excelled. Cam Lawrence, B Mac, Chris White, KJ Wright, Dak, Arceto Clark, Vic Ballard, etc. None of whom people gave much thought and they bought in to Dan's "hard workers win out." We benefited because all of those guys were tremendous athletes who happened to have been overlooked. The problem is that not everyone is a tremendous athlete who gets overlooked. You can't throw Ward and Chairs and Shump and DWill out there because they don't have SEC skill - at least not in anything other than a back up roll. It has to kill team cohesion when they know the best players aren't playing.

confucius say
09-06-2016, 10:23 AM

There are numerous issues, but qb is #1. It's the most important position on the field, especially in our offense.

And out ol was not horrible Saturday. 7 yards a carry is good.

Todd4State
09-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Bingo - that is what I was trying to get to. It's like the football version of Hulk Hogan's "training, prayers, and vitamins". I think Dan got lucky that we had some scrappy workers that he took a chance on early on at State who excelled. Cam Lawrence, B Mac, Chris White, KJ Wright, Dak, Arceto Clark, Vic Ballard, etc. None of whom people gave much thought and they bought in to Dan's "hard workers win out." We benefited because all of those guys were tremendous athletes who happened to have been overlooked. The problem is that not everyone is a tremendous athlete who gets overlooked. You can't throw Ward and Chairs and Shump and DWill out there because they don't have SEC skill - at least not in anything other than a back up roll. It has to kill team cohesion when they know the best players aren't playing.

Some of those guys you mentioned were recruited by Croom. Let that sink in.

Political Hack
09-06-2016, 10:33 AM
There are numerous issues, but qb is #1. It's the most important position on the field, especially in our offense.

I couldn't disagree more. Coaching is #1.

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 10:54 AM

It all revolves around Mullen. If Mullen doesn't give a shit neither does the team. It's like a virus of complacency.

kojak
09-06-2016, 11:28 AM

The most important position on the field and the position that could control the clock through a power run game is the least of your concerns. A lot of problems can be patched up through better QB play.

maroonmania
09-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Not sure what all is going on internally with Dan and how he feels about being the MSU coach at this point but the Mullen I'm seeing on the sidelines now is not the same guy with the same passion and intensity to win that we hired nearly 8 years ago.

maroonmania
09-06-2016, 11:36 AM

Well Dan may have worked his butt of ON the field but Dan always seems to be looking to take time off when it comes to recruiting. He definitely doesn't put in all the "extra work" in that facet of his job. Even without the cheating, I wish our staff put half the effort into recruiting that Freeze and his minions do.

Political Hack
09-06-2016, 11:42 AM
The most important position on the field and the position that could control the clock through a power run game is the least of your concerns. A lot of problems can be patched up through better QB play.

Maybe I should've said "we have bigger concerns" because we do. QB is obviously an issue. It's just not THE issue to me and everyone around here seems hyper focused on it. This team was not prepared to play at numerous positions. We lack elite talent at numerous positions. We lack fire. We lack heart. We lack discipline. If y'all want to blame all that on the QB, be my guest, but it's misguided. We have bigger issues and even a good QB isn't going to deliver this squad to the promise land.

gtowndawg
09-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Not sure what all is going on internally with Dan and how he feels about being the MSU coach at this point but the Mullen I'm seeing on the sidelines now is not the same guy with the same passion and intensity to win that we hired nearly 8 years ago.

And that's why everything else is just noise at this point. If you don't have extreme desire and drive, you can't succeed as a SEC football coach. I have no doubt that Dan's lost that and thus the reason to remove him at the end of the season. Once it's gone, it's gone. You can not mentally go back to a time when you had no money and had to prove yourself and spent every waking hour trying to do so. It's not possible.

dawgday166
09-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Maybe I should've said "we have bigger concerns" because we do. QB is obviously an issue. It's just not THE issue to me and everyone around here seems hyper focused on it. This team was not prepared to play at numerous positions. We lack elite talent at numerous positions. We lack fire. We lack heart. We lack discipline. If y'all want to blame all that on the QB, be my guest, but it's misguided. We have bigger issues and even a good QB isn't going to deliver this squad to the promise land.

Agree 100% with this. In no aspect of the game did we look like and SEC West team. Not one (except may Leo's play).

the59dawg
09-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Let's not forget in the first 3 or 4 yrs of Dan, his team beat the rebs and he rubbed their noses in it big time. "never will lose to them", "our state", "we own recruiting in MS". Now the tide has turned and the rebs have stuffed it up Dan's butt publically. And he knows he cannot get back to where it all started. Hence the possible reason for his desire to get away from the problem, if in fact he does. I'm certainly not privy to Dan's thinking or what he wants, but noone likes being called out and everybody seeing it.

TrapGame
09-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Well Dan may have worked his butt of ON the field but Dan always seems to be looking to take time off when it comes to recruiting. He definitely doesn't put in all the "extra work" in that facet of his job. Even without the cheating, I wish our staff put half the effort into recruiting that Freeze and his minions do.

There's a reason we lost good players to Vandy and UK a few years ago. The coaches were too damn lazy. There are enough 4 and 5 star players in the South that we should be bringing in a minimum of 1 five star and four 4 stars every year. That's minimum. With a group of recruiting gurus and with savvy PR/marketing off our 2014 #1 tenure and a Heisman candidate QB we should be getting at least twice that now! Mullen had a chance to push this program into Big Boy level recruiting but decided to concentrate on making himself look good for another job somewhere else.

I seen it dawg
09-06-2016, 03:09 PM
All this ****ing shitshow is on Mullen. That ****er is killing us and the players. He needs to lead and he isn't.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2016, 03:25 PM

I actually think different playcalling and our QB is at least good enough for a bowl game. We seemed hell bent on running the same offense with Damian and Nick as we did Dak. We now know Dak is an elite level QB that is very good going through progressions and has the arm needed to make the throws. What happened on Saturday looked like Nick isn't fast enough through the progressions or had first time starter issues. Damian doesn't have the arm to make all the throws necessary to get the D to keep from loading the box. Dan said in his post game that the deep throws weren't given to us but if that is the case we should have been running it down their throat.

sandwolf
09-06-2016, 03:53 PM

I could be off on this, but I don't think that Mullen is the only one who has issues with Fitz.....from what I have gathered, he is an arrogant little prick who is not well liked by his teammates. Both David Murray and Steve have made comments about him being cocky, and the implication was that it was bad enough to where it didn't sit well with a lot of the other guys......and for David and Steve to have made comments about it, the kid must be a real asshole.

I agree that John Bond would probably make for good company though!

Indndawg
09-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Those days ARE gone.