View Full Version : Helmet #Schwagg

TheRef
08-28-2013, 01:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSxkDtGIMAAhGXR.jpg:large

Here are the new helmets for Saturday.

ETA: Photo courtesy of Nick Griffin's Twitter account: @MacGrifferous

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Paul posted the link on 247... pretty cool.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MacGrifferous/status/372782884127772672/photo/1

bulldawg989
08-28-2013, 01:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSxkDtGIMAAhGXR.jpg

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 01:25 PM
welcome 989.

bocfarm
08-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Nice!

EAVdog
08-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Seriously, it's so much better than the frowning MState Logo.

smootness
08-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I think these look much better than the silver on white helmets we had last year, but I still don't like that clipart logo.

hailmari
08-28-2013, 01:33 PM
I wonder what jersey will go with it.

ckDOG
Those are awesome.

ShotgunDawg
These are BAD ASS!! Best helmet since Sherrill years and a better color combo than the white version. Awesome! For some reason this helmet just jumps off the page. I can't explain why, but this just looks right. This may be a keeper IMO

TheRef
08-28-2013, 01:36 PM
It's getting some national love too. I could see this going with Maroon tops, gray bottoms possibly? Either that or all Maroon.

RunDog26
08-28-2013, 01:50 PM
So ugly. I just hope we win.

archdog
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.653310724681413.1073741842.136203519725472&type=1

better images.

Dawg61
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Best Maroon helmet we've ever had. Now same design but in 6 different color options, Maroon/White/Chrome/Silver/Gold/Black.

TopDog58
08-28-2013, 02:14 PM
The 'pack is bitching awful hard about it so it must be good. I like it. Count me as one in the 40s crowd that is not in love with the "traditional" MSU unis (like we have one).

Unis don't win games on the field, but they damn sure can create a buzz. I don't get why the whiners can't understand that.

As long as we don't ever trot out a Croom era Walmart uni, I'm good with change.

FISHDAWG
08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
I prefer something that says we are MSU (identity thing) or at least the logo

Dawgface
08-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Is that suppose to be a bulldog on the side?:confused:

FISHDAWG
08-28-2013, 02:27 PM
that's what I was wondering ..... until we go back to the old letters (M S U)- outsiders will continue to get us and OM mixed up

blacklistedbully
08-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Proof that it was my concept, which I gave to ChillyBilly on SPS back on 12/28/10:

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?59522-Silver-helmets-for-the-Gator-Bowl&highlight=snarling+bulldog

12-28-2010, 01:42 PM #23
Silver helmets for the Gator Bowl?
Quote Originally Posted by ChillbillyDawg

</p>
Def like the carbonized steel look of the one on the right. Would add some subtle "texture" onto the background, darkening it a bit more. Perhaps small black paw-prints or small bulldogs or small "interlocking MSU logos, as circa 1981 or so. For that matter, you could simply cover the base background with dozens of small, black current "M-State" logos.<div>
</div><div>Now that I think of it, what I think would look bad-ass is the carbon-steel look just as you have it, incluidng the maroon logo, but add to it a ferocious-looking snarling bulldog whose head come to the front, jaws gaping at the facemask, body partially obscured by the M-State logo, but clearly visible over the top and back of the logo.

</div>

smootness
08-28-2013, 02:33 PM
that's what I was wondering ..... until we go back to the old letters (M S U)- outsiders will continue to get us and OM mixed up

That has nothing to do with the logo on our helmets.

It has everything to do with lazy, stupid people. That is not a new phenomenon.

smootness
08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
The problem is, that bulldog does not look ferocious. It looks like the kind of bulldog head that would be included on a generic animal card for a toddler's birthday. There is nothing unique or strong about it.

I don't like it being on both sides, either. If you're going abstract like that, go all the way.

Fader21
08-28-2013, 02:44 PM
I wish people would get over the interlocking msu. We will more and likely never see it again. Let it go

Barking 13
08-28-2013, 02:45 PM
I kind of like it, but it's too big.. you can't even really tell it's a Bulldog... just looks like a bunch of lines, or some sort of tribal tattoo

FISHDAWG
08-28-2013, 02:46 PM
you go let it go if you want ... don't tell me what I like and don't like .... folks knew us better back then

blacklistedbully
08-28-2013, 02:49 PM
The problem is, that bulldog does not look ferocious. It looks like the kind of bulldog head that would be included on a generic animal card for a toddler's birthday. There is nothing unique or strong about it.

I don't like it being on both sides, either. If you're going abstract like that, go all the way.

The concept of a "snarling bulldog, jaws agape at the facemask" was mine. ChillyBilly did the drawing and took all the credit. I, too, think he missed the mark a bit though. It does look too tame.

Don't get me wrong, I, like most, think the dude is extremely talented. But it still bothers me that he didn't give me any concept credit. He even denied it on a subsequent SPS thread when I reminded him after the university lauded him, gave him goodies, etc. To me, it sort of smacks of plagiarism, or not citing your references on a story.

Dawgface
08-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I kind of like it, but it's too big.. you can't even really tell it's a Bulldog... just looks like a bunch of lines, or some sort of tribal tattoo

Agree. I think after looking at it for several minutes I can finally detect the mouth and eyes, but no way you will be able to tell that on TV during a game. Oh well, looks like we will always have tweaks in the uni design. Not a fan but I can over look if we are winning. And that remains to be seen.

smootness
08-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I, like most, think the dude is extremely talented. But it still bothers me that he didn't give me any concept credit.

He is talented and definitely has an idea for what will look good.

That being said, most of his designs are extremely templated. Play NCAA Football and create a team, and you'll basically find the template he uses. It's almost always the triple stripe shoulder and triple stripe helmet, and he uses a lot of gray as accents.

Do they look good? Yes. Is it terribly hard to come up with? No. The main advantage he has is some kind of sweet software that actually allows you to put ideas out that look legitimate.

Some of his ideas, like this crappy bulldog head (which I realize is just one of the university logos), are not good. To me, if he were truly a genius, he would design his own logos.

blacklistedbully
08-28-2013, 03:04 PM
He is talented and definitely has an idea for what will look good.

That being said, most of his designs are extremely templated. Play NCAA Football and create a team, and you'll basically find the template he uses. It's almost always the triple stripe shoulder and triple stripe helmet, and he uses a lot of gray as accents.

Do they look good? Yes. Is it terribly hard to come up with? No. The main advantage he has is some kind of sweet software that actually allows you to put ideas out that look legitimate.

Some of his ideas, like this crappy bulldog head (which I realize is just one of the university logos), are not good. To me, if he were truly a genius, he would design his own logos.

Yeah, but the bulldog head was MY CONCEPT, not his. That's what ticks me off. He never gave me any credit, even denying the above referenced exchange on SPS ever happened. I agree that his final design was not exactly what I had in mind, but it quite clearly was my concept. I would have appreciated some acknowledgment on his part.

smootness
08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
No, I got you. That is extremely annoying for you, I'm sure; I'm just talking about his designs themselves and the fact that he isn't the genius people try to make him out to be.

He definitely takes pride in being THE uniform guy, so I'm sure he would never give anyone else credit for something, especially if it was actually used by State.

FlabLoser
08-28-2013, 03:35 PM

That bulldog has been one of the school's official logo for as long as we've had the new banner M State logos.

And it looks a lot better than walking bully.

Bubb Rubb
08-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Those are awesome.

My 8 year old approves. He calls them "sweet".

bocfarm
08-28-2013, 03:42 PM
My 8 year old approves. He calls them "sweet".

My 7 yr old say "Cool, can I have one?"

smootness
08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
That bulldog has been one of the school's official logo for as long as we've had the new banner M State logos.

And it looks a lot better than walking bully.

I know it has, and I think it's terrible. It's not just a State problem, though. Everyone is moving toward computer animated graphics and they all look similar and generic. But even with clip art, you can come up with something better than what we have. It's just a bland bulldog head. If you told someone in an art class, 'You have 2 minutes, draw me a bulldog head,' this would be the result. UGA's bulldog logo looks kind of weird, but at least it has some character.

MadDawg
08-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Let me guess, Transformers was the best movie ever made, right?

TheRef
08-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Truthfully, the team seems to be excited about it. If the team is excited, I don't care what it looks like. Excited team=motivated team. Just my two cents.

Todd4State
08-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I wish people would get over the interlocking msu. We will more and likely never see it again. Let it go

That's sort of like Alabama putting a letter "A" on their helmets and asking their fans to get over it. To me, the interlocking MSU is part of Mississippi State football and tradition.

Personally, I feel like the leaders in our athletic dept. are being huge douchebags trying to force the M-State logo down our throats. All Greg did was change the LT/Croom logo to a more modern sporty looking one. I think it's fairly obvious that most State fans like the interlocking MSU in some way, shape, or form whether or not they liked the Nike uniforms or not.

This new logo- we actually had a similar logo back in the 1960's which was a LOT smaller. So, I do kind of like how it is retro in a way.

whosyourdawgy
08-28-2013, 05:34 PM
So do you have any of these posts stored and saved for proof that this was your idea? Or did you just make a post that, "you know what would look cool on the side of a helmet? A outline of a bulldog head with his mouth open at the face mask!" If it is just the latter, you need to get over it dude. You did nothing about it and CB has made more uniform designs than Adidas for our uni's. now if you have proof of a back and forth between you and he then you have something.

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
I think Nike owns that logo and after Jackie Wayne got mad about Oregin wearing air conditioned jersies, designed by our sponsor, against us our relationship with them was over.

It alarmist came back if Strick has hired Kenny Payne, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

drunkernhelldawg
08-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Truthfully, the team seems to be excited about it. If the team is excited, I don't care what it looks like. Excited team=motivated team. Just my two cents.

If you don't care what it looks like, then why are you posting an opinion on it? If you don't like it, then "truthfully" say so.

TheRef
08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
If you don't care what it looks like, then why are you posting an opinion on it? If you don't like it, then "truthfully" say so.

I never said I didn't like it. I never said I did like it. If you don't believe me, read my previous posts. I'm simply stating that if the players would be excited/motivated if they wore bulldog outfits out there, then by all means produce the bulldog outfits for the players to wear. The end justifies the means. Obviously the players are excited (at least Nick Griffin is) since he said that he was excited and created the hashtag #Schwagg. So before you start tossing around accusations at someone, do a little research on what they have posted previously in the forum.

drunkernhelldawg
08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
I never said I didn't like it. I never said I did like it. If you don't believe me, read my previous posts. I'm simply stating that if the players would be excited/motivated if they wore bulldog outfits out there, then by all means produce the bulldog outfits for the players to wear. The end justifies the means. Obviously the players are excited (at least Nick Griffin is) since he said that he was excited and created the hashtag #Schwagg. So before you start tossing around accusations at someone, do a little research on what they have posted previously in the forum.

I just think that the idea that this helmet will make them play better is silly. I'm only accusing you of playing it safe, and I'd be more interested in knowing your "truthful" opinion.

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
I think it looks awesome.

TheRef
08-28-2013, 06:07 PM
I just think that the idea that this helmet will make them play better is silly. I'm only accusing you of playing it safe, and I'd be more interested in knowing your "truthful" opinion.

Truthfully, my opinion is that I like the design. It's a lot better than the Snow Bowl color scheme. The players seem excited about the new helmets. I don't mind the new look at all. I'm not a person that gets pissed off that we're getting a new design. I'm a realist in the sense that we will NEVER get the old interlocking MSU or any variant of it due to Nike and Jackie having their falling out. I'm happy with it. Most students and MSU friends that I've talked to have said that they like the helmets. So obviously it's not all doom and gloom as some here are saying it is (exaggeration, I know).

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 06:11 PM
I like it. Not for an every week thing though. It has become fashionable for teams to do something off normal once in a while and I think this suits us.

TheRef
08-28-2013, 06:13 PM
I like it. Not for an every week thing though. It has become fashionable for teams to do something off normal once in a while and I think this suits us.

I agree...this can be a "special occasion" helmet of sorts. Texas Kickoff Classic and possibly bowl game helmet.

mic
08-28-2013, 06:17 PM
I think Nike owns that logo and after Jackie Wayne got mad about Oregin wearing air conditioned jersies, designed by our sponsor, against us our relationship with them was over.

It alarmist came back if Strick has hired Kenny Payne, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

Correct about K Payne.. Not sure if it would have trickled down to football and baseball. But Hoops not only was going Nike but the "Jump Man" logo..

mic
08-28-2013, 06:20 PM
If the players like them and Recruits are talking and tweeting about it and liking them that's all that matters..
Look good feel good play good..............

TheRef
08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
If the players like them and Recruits are talking and tweeting about it and liking them that's all that matters..
Look good feel good play good..............

My sentiment exactly. Obviously that's not something that's popular to say, at the moment, to some people.

blacklistedbully
08-28-2013, 06:38 PM
So do you have any of these posts stored and saved for proof that this was your idea? Or did you just make a post that, "you know what would look cool on the side of a helmet? A outline of a bulldog head with his mouth open at the face mask!" If it is just the latter, you need to get over it dude. You did nothing about it and CB has made more uniform designs than Adidas for our uni's. now if you have proof of a back and forth between you and he then you have something.

Apparently you didn't bother to click on the link I provided. It takes you to the archived SPS posts, and shows I was exchanging with ChillyBilly on other ideas, including suggesting a "carbon steel" look, that he replied to with an example. In that same thread, I suggested the "snarling bulldog" thing. That was 12/2010. The next year he sent his design to Stricklin. Here's the link, again:

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?59522-Silver-helmets-for-the-Gator-Bowl&highlight=snarling+bulldog

Here's the pertinent part:
12-28-2010, 09:47 AM #20

Think this would look good if you added black grids to the background over the silver & under the logo. Something that would look a lot like those Oregon & TCU helmets that did something similar. Give the base color more of a "carbonized steel" look rather than silver.

Edit / Delete Edit Post
12-28-2010, 11:07 AM #21
Todd4State's Avatar Join Date
Mar 2008
I like the retro uniform- heck, I've even suggested that we go that direction for homecoming with the uniforms from 1969 with the flying-M helmet, but I can't see NIKE and Adidas getting along with us wanting to do that.

12-28-2010, 11:24 AM #22
ChillbillyRock's Avatar Join Date
Aug 2009

</p>

</p>
Def like the carbonized steel look of the one on the right. Would add some subtle "texture" onto the background, darkening it a bit more. Perhaps small black paw-prints or small bulldogs or small "interlocking MSU logos, as circa 1981 or so. For that matter, you could simply cover the base background with dozens of small, black current "M-State" logos.<div>
</div><div>Now that I think of it, what I think would look bad-ass is the carbon-steel look just as you have it, incluidng the maroon logo, but add to it a ferocious-looking snarling bulldog whose head come to the front, jaws gaping at the facemask, body partially obscured by the M-State logo, but clearly visible over the top and back of the logo.

</div>
You tell me. Do I have a legit beef?

whosyourdawgy
08-28-2013, 07:23 PM
So yes I was lazy and didnt read all of your original post. I just saw where you were pissed off that he didn't give you partial credit for the idea. My take for what it's worth and that ain't much. You said to have a mean bulldog behind the M State logo on the side of the helmet clearly visible coming toward the front of the helmet with its jaws open at the facemask area.
What I see on the helmet we wore at the A&M game and the one for Saturday is the use of one of our current official logos on the side of the helmet with no sign of the M State logo or no body of a bulldog anywhere. What you are suggesting is that your idea of the head of the dog with its body behind the logo is where Chillbilly got the idea. I think it's a real stretch to assume that. I think more likely that he saw the Boise State ones with the Bronco that is very similar in design and applied that to the Adidas Bulldog logo on the helmet and put the M State logo on the back like Oregon does with their O. If anyone has a reason to question the design it would be Nike and that would still be a stretch. Like I said. My take.

archdog
08-28-2013, 07:25 PM
The scoreboard, field, announcers, dvr, channel guide, pregame show, our schedule, ESPN (sometimes) all say MSU. Why should the helmet? I love it. Not to mention the rest of the uniform says Mississippi State.

I like the bulldog head. This is a great way to get that logo out there, and it looks sweet on a helmet. I saw the White version from last years aTm game for sale in the Campus Book Mart for 118 dollars. Almost bought it. ChillyBilly designed that. I like it.

archdog
08-28-2013, 07:29 PM
No you don't. The credit was already given last year to ChillBilly for the inspiration. Did you send them your design file? If not, then they slightly duplicated your idea. Not intellectual property and I bet you didn't hold a copyright on it anyway.

whosyourdawgy
08-28-2013, 07:31 PM
What I'm curious about are the uni's. Nobody even mentioned them. The Bulldog on the helmet is silver correct? Wouldn't ya think that silver pants would look better than white and God help us don't go all maroon. No stripe on the helmet. Do we still have the stripe down the shoulder pads and down the pants. I guess we will no Saturday afternoon huh?

blacklistedbully
08-28-2013, 09:52 PM
No you don't. The credit was already given last year to ChillBilly for the inspiration. Did you send them your design file? If not, then they slightly duplicated your idea. Not intellectual property and I bet you didn't hold a copyright on it anyway.

I never asked for any compensation. As far as the body goes, that part was in response to his plan to have an "M-State" on it, so I suggested putting the body behind the logo, making the "snarling bulldog with jaw opening on the facemask" the obvious focal point. How else are you gonna make the jaw fit the facemask? Head has to be big and the focal point.

In any case, it's not like I was trying to make any claim for copyright or anything. Just thought he could of acknowledged my considerable input on the concept. To be frank, the actual drawing is easier.

aerodawg
08-28-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't understand why so many people worry about "branding" on our helmets. Do people think that there are seriously people willing to support our program in any way that are so completely stupid to not figure out who we are because of the logo on our helmets? If anything Mississippi State has a tradition of changing its brand every so often, we are just doing it more often now. That is our branding.

I personally don't like the logo design all that much. Love the color scheme and the lack of an awful stripe down the center. Hopefully it means the shoulder stripe is gone from our jerseys as well and we look different from Texas A&M. But I can see why people like it.

If you can't create a buzz around the same old thing, you change it up and see if that will do the trick. The one thing those programs that do the same thing year in and year out have in common is a very strong tradition of winning (Bama and Penn State). If we settled in and won a ton with some design theme, you can bet your ass that we would likely stick with it.

Todd4State
08-29-2013, 12:33 AM
My sentiment exactly. Obviously that's not something that's popular to say, at the moment, to some people.

If you go on youtube, there are multiple videos of multiple teams across the country that all get jacked up over new uniforms.

I agree with you- players like it, and they also like the "stuff" that they get with it.

Even Alabama went with a special uniform- I think was like their traditional ones but I think it had some very faint houndstooth print in it somewhere- and the reason was because the players liked the stuff that they got. That was per Saban.

The reality is pretty much everyone has some type of special "tec-fit" or whatever uniform. Even the most traditional schools. Actually, if we didn't- we would be behind the times.

Todd4State
08-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Apparently you didn't bother to click on the link I provided. It takes you to the archived SPS posts, and shows I was exchanging with ChillyBilly on other ideas, including suggesting a "carbon steel" look, that he replied to with an example. In that same thread, I suggested the "snarling bulldog" thing. That was 12/2010. The next year he sent his design to Stricklin. Here's the link, again:

Here's the pertinent part:
12-28-2010, 09:47 AM #20

Think this would look good if you added black grids to the background over the silver & under the logo. Something that would look a lot like those Oregon & TCU helmets that did something similar. Give the base color more of a "carbonized steel" look rather than silver.

Edit / Delete Edit Post
12-28-2010, 11:07 AM #21
Todd4State's Avatar Join Date
Mar 2008
I like the retro uniform- heck, I've even suggested that we go that direction for homecoming with the uniforms from 1969 with the flying-M helmet, but I can't see NIKE and Adidas getting along with us wanting to do that.

12-28-2010, 11:24 AM #22
ChillbillyRock's Avatar Join Date
Aug 2009

</p>

</p>

</div>
You tell me. Do I have a legit beef?

I don't think you have much of one.

It would be like me saying I suggested that we hire Cohen on a message board, MSU doing it and then saying I should be given partial credit for our CWS run this year.

If you had actually designed the helmet and then Chillbilly totally ripped off your helmet then you would have a beef.

K9 Avenger
08-29-2013, 07:42 AM
you go let it go if you want ... don't tell me what I like and don't like .... folks knew us better back then

No, they didn't

drunkernhelldawg
08-29-2013, 08:39 AM
If you go on youtube, there are multiple videos of multiple teams across the country that all get jacked up over new uniforms.

I agree with you- players like it, and they also like the "stuff" that they get with it.

Even Alabama went with a special uniform- I think was like their traditional ones but I think it had some very faint houndstooth print in it somewhere- and the reason was because the players liked the stuff that they got. That was per Saban.

The reality is pretty much everyone has some type of special "tec-fit" or whatever uniform. Even the most traditional schools. Actually, if we didn't- we would be behind the times.

I heard Saban say that on a radio interview several years ago. But the main gist of what Saban said in that interview is that he does not just give in on the uniform issue; he makes sure that it is almost a regular uniform and lets the players have their fun and their free stuff once a year. BTW, that was an awesome interview. If you pass up a chance to hear Saban talk football and coaching, you may not be a fan.

smootness
08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
I heard Saban say that on a radio interview several years ago. But the main gist of what Saban said in that interview is that he does not just give in on the uniform issue; he makes sure that it is almost a regular uniform and lets the players have their fun and their free stuff once a year. BTW, that was an awesome interview. If you pass up a chance to hear Saban talk football and coaching, you may not be a fan.

It's also an entirely different scenario at Alabama. Regardless of whether or not Saban and the players want other uniforms, they can't change them, or the fans would literally burn the school down.

drunkernhelldawg
08-29-2013, 10:01 AM
It's also an entirely different scenario at Alabama. Regardless of whether or not Saban and the players want other uniforms, they can't change them, or the fans would literally burn the school down.

I disagree. Our colors go back at least as far as theirs. The difference is that the Coach is not being run by the marketing department. Regardless, Go Hail State. Beat Hotty Toddy.

smootness
08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
I disagree. Our colors go back at least as far as theirs. The difference is that the Coach is not being run by the marketing department. Regardless, Go Hail State. Beat Hotty Toddy.

Them not changing their uniforms has nothing to do with Saban. I promise you, if they ever made a significant change, like removing the numbers from the helmet or changing them in any substantial way from what they are now, the fans would go ballistic. That is why they don't change - that, and it really is an asset to have a classic uniform that everyone knows. Same with Penn State, Ohio State, etc. It has nothing to do with Nick Saban and the marketing department.

Negative Waves
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I just wish the marketing department would throw those of us that want the original MSJ logo (86-95) a bone and have a game where the team wears a throw-back uniform and helmet. We already have about 3-4 different helmets, what's one more going to hurt? I know they're trying to stay with the banner logo, but using the old logo once in a blue moon isn't going to hurt our image. I still think it would be neat to see us wear the original MSJ logo and Ole Miss wear the powder blues for the Egg Bowl, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

TheRef
08-29-2013, 11:50 AM
I just wish the marketing department would throw those of us that want the original MSJ logo (86-95) a bone and have a game where the team wears a throw-back uniform and helmet. We already have about 3-4 different helmets, what's one more going to hurt? I know they're trying to stay with the banner logo, but using the old logo once in a blue moon isn't going to hurt our image. I still think it would be neat to see us wear the original MSJ logo and Ole Miss wear the powder blues for the Egg Bowl, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

The reason why it will ever happen is because Nike owns the interlocking MSU. We have discussed this in detail many times. This is why we won't have a throwback to the interlocking logo.

Negative Waves
08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
The reason why it will ever happen is because Nike owns the interlocking MSU. We have discussed this in detail many times. This is why we won't have a throwback to the interlocking logo.

There are 2 MSJ logos, the original and the Nike redesign that debuted in 95 or 96. Hell, go back to the stacked MSU that we wore before then, or the MS helmets from the 70's. I doubt they own all of those logos.

blacklistedbully
08-29-2013, 01:39 PM
There are 2 MSJ logos, the original and the Nike redesign that debuted in 95 or 96. Hell, go back to the stacked MSU that we wore before then, or the MS helmets from the 70's. I doubt they own all of those logos.

Exactly. My understanding is that Nike owns the interlocking MSU that runs the "M" directly in a line to the "U", the "J" you're referring to. I actually prefer the earlier one we used in the early 80's, that didn't join the "M" to the "J". And, as you say, isn't it something Nike doesn't own?

Barking 13
08-29-2013, 02:36 PM

had to pull off my hat and look... yep, sure enough, the swoosh...

ETA: US patent 5715540

Todd4State
08-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Exactly. We could make our own version that Nike doesn't own.

The helmets in the early 80's had a different MSJ logo. Then I guess around the time Felker came on board we had a different one that was bigger with some outlines in it. Then in 96, we got the Nike take on it.