PDA

View Full Version : I remember the last time we were counting Mullen out

msstate7
09-05-2016, 04:45 PM
We were 4-6 in '13 facing not making a bowl. We had to go to Arkansas and beat om to make a bowl. Mullen was all but fired by our fanbase (like now). Funny thing is though, we won those 2 games including a bowl win. This comeback led to the arguably the best season in our history the next year.

I hope Mullen and our team respond again instead of folding like our fanbase

Dawgfan77
09-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Yeah I do too . Remind me did we lose to an also ran Sunbelt team in 13? Also did we have an SEC QB in 13? Asking for a friend...

Leroy Jenkins
09-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Oh thats good "folding like our fanbase". If the fanbase was folding nobody would give a sh*t, it's quite the opposite.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Yeah I do too . Remind me did we lose to an also ran Sunbelt team in 13? Also did we have an SEC QB in 13? Asking for a friend...

Dak Prescott stats in game 1 vs Oklahoma state... 7/17 89 yds 0 td 1 int

Game 2 vs Alcorn state...
Dak 12/19 174 yds 2 td
D. Williams 8/13 105 yds

Point of this was we thought Dak had potential, but he certainly hadn't lived up to until the 3rd game and the toughest opponent...

Auburn...
Dak 15/28 213 yds

So if our greatest qb ever took a min to get going, maybe fitz needs a game or 2 also

JoseBrown
09-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Appears to me quite the opposite than the fan base folding, at least here on ED. Haven't seen this much activity in a long time. Everyone hopes Mullen gets it together and the team beats the shit out of SCe. But from what we saw Saturday, Tech & 10 might be an improvement...of course, with all due respect.

HoopsDawg
09-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Dak Prescott stats in game 1 vs Oklahoma state... 7/17 89 yds 0 td 1 int

Game 2 vs Alcorn state...
Dak 12/19 174 yds 2 td
D. Williams 8/13 105 yds

Point of this was we thought Dak had potential, but he certainly hadn't lived up to until the 3rd game and the toughest opponent...

Auburn...
Dak 15/28 213 yds

So if our greatest qb ever took a min to get going, maybe fitz needs a game or 2 also

Felt a whole lot different about Dak at that time than I do Fitz. Not even close.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Appears to me quite the opposite than the fan base folding, at least here on ED. Haven't seen this much activity in a long time. Everyone hopes Mullen gets it together and the team beats the shit out of SCe. But from what we saw Saturday, Tech & 10 might be an improvement...of course, with all due respect.

Everyone hopes we get it turned around? All I see are who the new coach is gonna be threads

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Felt a whole lot different about Dak at that time than I do Fitz. Not even close.

Maybe so, but it was just a feeling and not based on game performance yet. Auburn was his coming out party. Hell, I don't think fitz is gonna be Dak part 2 either, but fitz showed some nice potential last year when forced into action. He threw a deep ball better in that start than Dak did in his whole career... Unfortunately, that's the only category he could come close

Dawgfan77
09-05-2016, 05:13 PM
I know what you are saying but ain't no far in the belly. That 13 team put up 62 on Troy at home, a Sunbelt team.
I appreciate your optimism but truely recruiting has slide and we are so far removed from 13. 3-9 is our celling

lastmajordog
It would be ?NICE? if Mullen got a ......stimulation ?boner"...about whipping people?s arses again .....ESPN just name Oklahoma and MS STATE as biggest losers of the weekend.....all while singing the praises of Preacher?s congregation........In addition I don?t consider a MSU fanbase wanting better....BELIEVING they deserve better.....personally I think that is great......JMHO

blacklistedbully
We were 4-6 in '13 facing not making a bowl. We had to go to Arkansas and beat om to make a bowl. Mullen was all but fired by our fanbase (like now). Funny thing is though, we won those 2 games including a bowl win. This comeback led to the arguably the best season in our history the next year.

Some would say "folding" is a fanbase unwilling to accept when it's time to demand more from our coaching staff. It's not the fact we lost. It's that we lost to a really shitty Sunbelt team, at home on opening day...and showed very little heart in doing so. It's that our coach looks like he doesn't give much of a damn. It's that our coach goes to the post game presser eager to blame anyone but himself.

Had Dan got on the air and apologized for his pathetic effort, accepted blame for the loss, promised our fans he would not rest until he righted-the-ship, then I wouldn't still be so pissed. But his presser let everyone know we should not expect anything new. His presser leads me to believe the Dan Mullen of 2009...the one who had to prove himself...the one with fire-in-his-belly, is long gone.

He's soft, and I agree that he just doesn't give enough of a damn to man-up and do the job we pay him $4 mill to do.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:14 PM
I know what you are saying but ain't no far in the belly. That 13 team put up 62 on Troy at home, a Sunbelt team.
I appreciate your optimism but truely recruiting has slide and we are so far removed from 13. 3-9 is our celling

3-9 is our ceiling? Jeez

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Dan has a chance to turn it around. It's just that most people don't think he will because he doesn't appear to give a shit. And usually when people don't give a shit it's rare that a light bulb goes off and that person does begin to give a shit.

As it is- the most reasonable way for a turnaround to occur is to win the rest of our OOC games including BYU on the road, beat both of our SEC East opponents, and then either pull an upset or win the Egg Bowl.

Either he does turn it around or he doesn't. If he does he will come back probably without a contract extension again. If he doesn't we go try to get Jeff Brohm or Jeremy Pruitt and move forward.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:15 PM
It would be “NICE” if Mullen got a ......stimulation “boner"...about whipping people’s arses again .....ESPN just name Oklahoma and MS STATE as biggest losers of the weekend.....all while singing the praises of Preacher’s congregation........
Hell yeah, we were the biggest loser of the weekend. If you think about it that's respect. If ESPN thought our ceiling was "3-9", we wouldn't have been the biggest loser

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Dan has a chance to turn it around. It's just that most people don't think he will because he doesn't appear to give a shit. And usually when people don't give a shit it's rare that a light bulb goes off and that person does begin to give a shit.

As it is- the most reasonable way for a turnaround to occur is to win the rest of our OOC games including BYU on the road, beat both of our SEC East opponents, and then either pull an upset or win the Egg Bowl.

Either he does turn it around or he doesn't. If he does he will come back probably without a contract extension again. If he doesn't we go try to get Jeff Brohm or Jeremy Pruitt and move forward.

Unless we go 3-9 or less, I give it a 5% chance Mullen is fired.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Some would say "folding" is a fanbase unwilling to accept when it's time to demand more from our coaching staff. It's not the fact we lost. It's that we lost to a really shitty Sunbelt team, at home on opening day...and showed very little heart in doing so. It's that our coach looks like he doesn't give much of a damn. It's that our coach goes to the post game presser eager to blame anyone but himself.

Had Dan got on the air and apologized for his pathetic effort, accepted blame for the loss, promised out fans he would not rest until he righted-the-ship, then I wouldn't still be so pissed. But his presser let everyone know we should not expect anything new. Hi presser leads me to believe the Dan Mullen of 2009...the one who had to prove himself...the one with fire-in-his-belly, is long gone.

He's soft, and I agree that he just doesn't give enough of a damn to man-up and do the job we pay him $4 mill to do.

Nailed it.

And you are 100% right about Dan being soft. We lose once to Ole Miss and then all of a sudden "well, we've moved past winning the Egg Bowl as the main goal for our program" not to mention numerous other things such as his scared play calling against Alabama and LSU and not having the balls to upset the upperclassmen when an underclassman is a better option. And that's just scratching the surface.

FISHDAWG
09-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Everyone hopes we get it turned around? All I see are who the new coach is gonna be threads

a lot of times emotion trumps rationale ... we are recovering from shock. I hope we get it turned quickly but we all knew we were rebuilding this year and still the board populous wanted to predict 8 or more wins

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:21 PM
a lot of times emotion trumps rationale ... we are recovering from shock. I hope we get it turned quickly but we all knew we were rebuilding this year and still the board populous wanted to predict 8 or more wins

Exactly. We were talented and gonna win 8-9 last week. We have an epic fail this weekend and now we have zero talent, out of shape, and a coach that doesn't care

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Unless we go 3-9 or less, I give it a 5% chance Mullen is fired.

I think that's the consensus among most. And at this point I give that a better than 5% chance of happening. Saturday Dan is literally coaching for his job. If we lose Saturday we will be 0-3 going into UMass barring a miracle win at Death Valley.

It also depends on who we beat as well. I could see us going 3-9 and possibly keeping him if we win the Egg Bowl for example.

We've never kept a coach in modern football history that has lost three Egg Bowls in a row regardless of what they did or who they were.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Exactly. We were talented and gonna win 8-9 last week. We have an epic fail this weekend and now we have zero talent, out of shape, and a coach that doesn't care

I think we have talent. I just don't think it's used properly FWIW. I'm not so sure about us being out of shape. I think we lack intensity and I think that could be misconstrued from the stands as being out of shape.

We have two four star running backs that got a grand total of two touches and we have a four star fullback who we try to play at running back. Dear was at least a four star and Gray was a four star at one time but we never use Dear in the backfield ever and we seem to insist that Gray is the second coming of Steve Smith. Clayborn is a Remington finalist that we burned his redshirt and Desper was an Under Armour All-American coming out of high school. Rankin was a four star guy.

On the other side of the ball- Simmons was a five star guy, Kobe Jones and Marquiss Spencer were four star guys and Nelson Adams was a Semper Fi All-American, At linebacker Green was a four star guy and Lewis was an Under Armour All-American, McLaurin was a four star guy and Peters was an Army All-American who was a four star guy. Smokey was a four star recruit as well.

So, I don't think we're totally devoid of talent it's just that we don't utilize it. And yes- we definitely had some big misses in the past and that hurts us a lot as well. So we still should be even better than we are now.

If we get a coach that recruits better and actually plays the best guys regardless of classification that would go a long way.

Dawgfan77
09-05-2016, 05:36 PM
3-9 is our ceiling? Jeez
Look this is a great friendly debate so no harm no foul but seriously aell me on how we are going to win more than three games this year?

HoopsDawg
09-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Maybe so, but it was just a feeling and not based on game performance yet. Auburn was his coming out party. Hell, I don't think fitz is gonna be Dak part 2 either, but fitz showed some nice potential last year when forced into action. He threw a deep ball better in that start than Dak did in his whole career... Unfortunately, that's the only category he could come close

You're memory is gone. Go back and look at Daks redshirt freshman year. He also had a TCU and LSU offer.

lamont
09-05-2016, 05:46 PM
We were 4-6 in 2013 with a young QB I knew was going to be a great player. We don't have that on campus right now

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:46 PM
Look this is a great friendly debate so no harm no foul but seriously aell me on how we are going to win more than three games this year?

Well we're favored this week, so I'll dream big and say we win. We'll be favored against Umass, so I'll count that one. Sanford as #3.

At worse, toss ups...

Kentucky lost to a conf USA team on Saturday and Mullen has never lost to them, so I'll say we can win.

Byu on the road could be tough, but we should match up fine talent wise

Arkansas was a missed holding call from losing to a sunbelt team theirselves. We have them at home and Mullen seems to have Bielema's number.

Toss up, but less likely...

Auburn is at home. We seem to always play them well. I don't like our oline vs their dline though.

So, with the top 3 I listed and just 1 of the toss ups that's 4.

lamont
09-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Everybody picking 8-9 wins has now figured out they were wrong and Random Poster was right

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Start Nick and roll with him. If he doesn't cut it- give Tiano a look. If he doesn't cut it try Last Chance U. We're probably screwed anyway if it got to that point but still.

Play Aeris and Shumpert in two back sets and give Aeris the ball at least 10-12 times. Use Holloway as a change of pace role player on outside runs and in the passing game.

Use Dear as a slot WR and a running back.

Start Couch and Justin Johnson on the outside at WR. Move Gray to slot along with Myles and Dear. Use Jordan Thomas at TE to help the o-line.

Sit Senior on the offensive line.

Sit Torrey Dale and start Simmons along with Nick James and AJ.

Sit JT Gray. Play Calvin, Brown, Leo, and Green at LB.

Sit Coman and move Bryant to free safety along with McLaurin. Start Durr and Jamal Peters at corner.

Making those moves should yield 4-6 wins even after the loss to South Alabama.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:51 PM
You're memory is gone. Go back and look at Daks redshirt freshman year. He also had a TCU and LSU offer.

Dak '12 stats

18/29 194 yds 4 td
32 rushes 118 yds 3.69/carry

Dak vs auburn...
213 passing 133 rushing

So Dak surpassed his '12 totals in the game vs auburn. Not sure how you can argue that wasn't his coming out party

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:52 PM
We were 4-6 in 2013 with a young QB I knew was going to be a great player. We don't have that on campus right now
Well we will in December. I thought the coaches were high on tiano

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Everybody picking 8-9 wins has now figured out they were wrong and Random Poster was right

Just like you were on lsu too right? Care to remind us about that one?

StoneDawg
09-05-2016, 05:54 PM
I think some of the people on this site need to chill. Mullen is not getting fired after the first game. Give this team a little time before everyone goes and jumps off a bridge. Y'all are acting like babies.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Well we're favored this week, so I'll dream big and say we win. We'll be favored against Umass, so I'll count that one. Sanford as #3.

At worse, toss ups...

Kentucky lost to a conf USA team on Saturday and Mullen has never lost to them, so I'll say we can win.

Arkansas was a missed holding call from losing to a sunbelt team theirselves. We have them at home and Mullen seems to have Bielema's number.

Auburn is at home. We seem to always play them well. I don't like our oline vs their dline though.

We're actually favored this week?

I think BYU is better than us and they are going to want to stick it to a SEC team. Especially a guy that used to be at Utah like Dan which is basically BYU's Ole Miss.

La Tech is in C-USA and won at least 9 games last year. And their QB from Meridian who we turned our nose up at is better than our guys on our roster.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 05:58 PM
We're actually favored this week?

I think BYU is better than us and they are going to want to stick it to a SEC team. Especially a guy that used to be at Utah like Dan which is basically BYU's Ole Miss.

La Tech is in C-USA and won at least 9 games last year. And their QB from Meridian who we turned our nose up at is better than our guys on our roster.

Yeah, they CUSA. My bad

Favored by 7

Dawgfan77
09-05-2016, 05:59 PM

At worse, toss ups...

UK can slang it. It's at their place. Scares the shit outta me.
AU front four is gonna give us fits and if we continue to run Holloway up the middle. Holy hell it could get ugly.
Ark. You sold me here but can we score?
BYU. 5 days after a physical AU team. I do t like this match up

Truth is we don't have the talent to win 6 this year

msstate7
UK can slang it. It's at their place. Scares the shit outta me.
AU front four is gonna give us fits and if we continue to run Holloway up the middle. Holy hell it could get ugly.
Ark. You sold me here but can we score?
BYU. 5 days after a physical AU team. I do t like this match up

Truth is we don't have the talent to win 6 this year

Maybe not, but you said 4 haha

Really Clark?

That 2013 team beat Bowling Green 21-20 and was shut out the entire second half with Dak at QB. Bowling Green got to mid field their last 2-3 drives but seems like a dropped and a fumble or they may have upset us then.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 06:01 PM
That 2013 team beat Bowling Green 21-20 and was shut out the entire second half with Dak at QB. Bowling Green got to mid field their last 2-3 drives but seems like a dropped and a fumble or they may have upset is then.

Yep. Good memory

blacklistedbully
09-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Start Nick and roll with him. If he doesn't cut it- give Tiano a look. If he doesn't cut it try Last Chance U. We're probably screwed anyway if it got to that point but still.

Play Aeris and Shumpert in two back sets and give Aeris the ball at least 10-12 times. Use Holloway as a change of pace role player on outside runs and in the passing game.

Start Couch and Justin Johnson on the outside at WR. Move Gray to slot along with Myles and Dear. Use Jordan Thomas at TE to help the o-line.

Sit Coman and move Bryant to free safety along with McLaurin. Start Durr and Jamal Peters at corner.

Bam!

Dawgfan77
09-05-2016, 06:02 PM
That 2013 team beat Bowling Green 21-20 and was shut out the entire second half with Dak at QB. Bowling Green got to mid field their last 2-3 drives but seems like a dropped and a fumble or they may have upset is then.
Bowling Green would have beat this USA team by 20. They won 10 games that year in the MAC not the Sunbelt

lamont
09-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Well we will in December. I thought the coaches were high on tiano

Tiano didnt play 1 snap Saturday- says alot. Says "we arent putting this guy into a close game"

MarketingBully
09-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Our loss Saturday had nothing to do with talent but a shitty game plan and Dan treating it like a scrimmage. UAB also had no business being in the game in 2014 because Dan did the same thing. Hopefully, we will see a different team this week and it woke them the **** up. Hopefully the light bulb will come on soon for Fitz because we aren't winning shit with DWll at QB. Saturday proved that completely right. However, Dan has to call a better game and simplify the playbook for the two QBs we have. He was calling plays like we had Dak and Williams could check down to his third option and throw it. With these two QBs, we have to run the Relf offense. We can't run the offense we did last year. It just won't work.

To simplify it even further, tell DWill or Nick if your first option isn't open tuck and run. I gaurentee you if we had done that we would have won at least 38-21. They were not going to stop our run game because DL was their weakness. Dan called the game like we had Dak back there and because of that we stalled on most of our drives. We have got to dumb down our offense for these QBs if we are going to be successful.

MarketingBully
09-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Making those moves will get us to 4-4 in the SEC and 7-5 overall. There's a saying and it goes it's never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems. We went in with a shitty gameplan and didn't attack their weak defensive line. This scrimmage bullshit Dan does against weak teams backfired on him. Let's hope they wake the **** up.

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Bowling Green would have beat this USA team by 20. They won 10 games that year in the MAC not the Sunbelt

You mean the Bowling Green team that lost 42-10 to a 5-7 Indiana team? Look Bowling Green was a good team but why don't we wait until the season is over before deciding how bad USA is going to be. You were talking about Troy, we barely held on to beat them in 2012. 2014 UAB gave us all we wanted and they were just a 6 win team.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-05-2016, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't be so concerned if we had turned the ball over multiple times and had too many penalties, but that wasn't the case. We got whipped on the LOS and the secondary by a sunbelt team.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't be so concerned if we had turned the ball over multiple times and had too many penalties, but that wasn't the case. We got whipped on the LOS and the secondary by a sunbelt team.

In the 1st half, USA had negative rushing yards. The 2nd half wasn't so good

GTHOM
09-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Dan didnt care wayyyy before last week

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-05-2016, 07:18 PM
In the 1st half, USA had negative rushing yards. The 2nd half wasn't so good

So did we get tired against a sun belt team, not adjust to their adjustments at half, or did he team think it was over at half? I think it's a combination of all those things.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2016, 08:00 PM

You just benched one of our 10 best WRs ever for a freshman. Your opinion is now irrelevant.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Making those moves will get us to 4-4 in the SEC and 7-5 overall. There's a saying and it goes it's never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems. We went in with a shitty gameplan and didn't attack their weak defensive line. This scrimmage bullshit Dan does against weak teams backfired on him. Let's hope they wake the **** up.

Oh- I'm not saying that those moves would get us anything better than 6-6 on the year AT BEST.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 08:31 PM
You just benched one of our 10 best WRs ever for a freshman. Your opinion is now irrelevant.

Ha! I forgot about Ross among the other 12 slot receivers we have.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Figured.

dawgday166
09-05-2016, 09:20 PM

A good many slot receivers don't we? Maybe we can trade half a dozen of those for 2 or 3 really good, SEC caliber O-linemen. LOL

RougeDawg
09-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Making those moves will require a new head coachand get us to 4-4 in the SEC and 7-5 overall. There's a saying and it goes it's never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems. We went in with a shitty gameplan and didn't attack their weak defensive line. This scrimmage bullshit Dan does against weak teams backfired on him. Let's hope they wake the **** up.

Fify

fader2103
09-05-2016, 09:54 PM
I believe we had leaders on that team too. When your seniors say that our whole team lacks leadership something is off

tcdog70
09-05-2016, 10:06 PM
I think the smart move is to swap Hollaway and Dear.

TimberBeast
09-05-2016, 10:20 PM

Yeah and we were right, if we would have fired him then instead of now we would already be underway with a new coach instead of watching this shit show now.

Op4isabitch
09-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Please send this to Mullen and co.

It looks a hell of a lot better than what they trotted out on Saturday.