PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Bulldog Lurker 90
09-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Bulldog Lurker 90

This is a long post but I have a lot to say and this is my first and probably last post

1- This biggest challenge historically for our football program is the inability to recruit the quarterback position. The state hardly ever produces a pro QB, and when it does every 15 years or so we don't recognize it has. I was in school during the Sleepy Robinson days. I played basketball one year with Sleepy; I know what kind of athlete he was. I watched him run Watson Brown?s offense to perfection. I was in the stands when he was hurt against Florida. Watson Brown went on to UAB and we never ran that type of offense until Mullen. It was clear to a lot of the fan base that we had to move to the dual threat QB offense due to our inability to recruit pro style. Mississippi has always had them. Croom had Omar, but did not use him. Croom had to go due to his offensive style. Instead of capitalizing on our weakness early we were late to the game. We should have been a spread team 25 years ago. Now even Alabama has a dual treat QB. Even the pros have dual threat QBs. Having Mullen and his style of offense is no longer an advantage to compensate for our weakness. It?s the norm.

2- Mullen?s greatest strength is his ability to identify and develop dual treat QBs. His resume is second to none. His greatest weakness is he can?t recruit them. He?s a terrible recruiter. The lone exception in his time at MSU is Dak. I think that the fact Dak stuck with us says more about Dak than Mullen. Some of you on here have been lulled into complacency thinking we will be fine because of Mullen?s ability to develop QBs. You are wrong. Just like you were wrong last year that we would be fine because Hervesy could develop OL even though he could not recruit them. How can this guy not get us a QB? I?m not going to go through the history, but his misses at QB are epic. How does he not have back-up plans with his QB recruits? What is keeping him from not being able to sign more than one quality QB recruit in his whole time at State? I have some suggestions for him. More later.

3- I?m talking to our leading, wealthy, committed Alumni and supporters now. You need to get organized and do your part in fixing our recruiting now. Don't worry about firing Mullen; you can do that later if need be but you need to get some things fixed if we are going to have a decent football program. From the beginning of Mullen?s tenure I?ve heard he has kept you guys from helping in recruiting. Why? Because he wanted a clean record to be able to get a bigger job. You are the people who pay the head coach?s salary. He works for you not the other way around. What do you expect him to say about your helping with recruiting? Step up and lead! You are spending too much time sitting around hoping and gloating that Ole Miss is going on probation. So what! I?m not saying we need to go to Ohio and buy the number one wide receiver in the nation or to Florida and buy the number one OT in the nation. I?m saying I?m sick and tired of you standing by while Ole Miss buys players out of our back yard that would have gone to State if things had been equal. I?m saying I don't want to hear ever again on this board how a kid from Starkville is driving a Dodge Charger around town and we didn't step up and match and go further if need be and get his girlfriend one. I?m saying when Cam Newton does you the courtesy of coming to you to match Auburn?s offer you don't go run and squeal you step up. I?m haunted by watching tv announcers that year ask the question: ?where would Mississippi State be if they had Cam Newton? answer ? they would be national champions?. It may be a good idea to keep a low profile for another year with the Ole Miss situation, but you have to do better in the future.

3- I?m talking to you now, Mullen. The first thing I want to do is get on a plane and go visit your QB commit for next year. You need to tell him you not going to leave State for any other job the four years he is here. You need to tell him to get here in January because he is going to play next year. You need to tell him that you are going to go get another QB that will need more development time than he does as his backup and don't freak out.
4- Mullen ? the next thing you had better do is the next time a member of the press asks you about another job you will tell them you are committed to this university and the players here and that we are going to have a great recruiting class next year and you can?t imagine yourself anywhere else. This is the last job you want and you can?t imagine one better. You start practicing this now so it sounds halfway sincere the next time you are asked. This year you are more likely to be asked about getting fired than going somewhere else but you had better not give a weak answer to this question ever again. You need to be more self aware, Dan. Schools like Georgia and Florida do not want you. You have some critical weaknesses as a head coach that they do not have to overlook. This university has embraced and loved you and you have done a great job in many ways for us but you are not perfect and you had better start showing some loyalty if you want ours.
5- Mullen again ? I have a lot to say to you - I want you to stay up all night and watch Auburn?s 2013 offense. The zone read power inside RB run with the QB run inside or wide with a run pass option and stretching the field with down field throws is what we must do to salvage this season. Let me give you some hints on personnel selections to make this work. Holloway is not Tre Mason. He is McCalleb. Damian Williams is not Nick Marshall. He does not have the speed, power, or arm to make this offense work. This first half of USA quick passing game with no ability to throw downfield and no inside running game and no speed on the outside did not work the second half against USA, how is it going to work in the SEC? I can not believe I am saying this, but the other thing you need to do is go pull tape of that school up north?s high school coach?s offense and learn some things from him. I don't care how bad our OL is. You don't give up 10 sacks in a game. How bad was the Ole Miss OL without Tunsil? I?m beginning to lose confidence in you that you can figure this out. You need to call Damien Williams in and tell him you are going to do everything in your power to make his dream of being a coach one day come true but that he is your emergency QB. You need to tell him that he has to bring this team together and lead from a player coaching position now.

6- I?m talking to our die hard fans now. You Elitedawgs. Reality is that we play in the country?s toughest conference and have perennial powers that we must play every year. Our goal should be to go to a bowl every year, be competitive in every game, and win some of those tough conference games. Our out of conference scheduling has to be weak to pad our record with some wins. The SEC and Alabama?s success has raised all boats. We should be competitive nationally as a program. We should be able to go to bowls and beat the NC States of the world every year. Our facilities and program are fine for who we are. The last two years are as good as it gets and we should realize that. Would it have been great to beat Alabama in 2014? Yes. Can we ever have a year that we come through and do it? Yes, but It?s not likely. We need to have the goal of being competitive. I fear the Croom years. I fear we are losing the bubble here and about to go back. Mullen can identify talent, he can develop talent, and he has made us competitive and he can continue to do so. He needs to make some changes in his commitment to the program and get a better attitude about recruiting, and make better personnel decisions but this can be fixed. His hires last year give me some hope. I?m not ready to give up hope on his player decisions. I?m pissed he did not capitalize on the success of the last two years on the field in recruiting. You need to have a little faith in the storm here before we declare its time to abandon ship. He, with help of the prominent Alumni can fix this, if he really wants to. If he doesn?t, fire his ass.