PDA

View Full Version : Things we agree on...

Dawg4Life
09-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I have had several conversations over the last 36 hours, read boards, listened to BSR, etc. Is it me or is there a lot of agreement about the problems? I hear these things repeated with a few exceptions:

1. Our recruiting deficiencies are glaring (listen to Hadad describing the 13-14 recruiting class).
2. Mullen has lost his mojo and most feel like he wants out.
3. Our more talented players are not playing (Fitz, A. Williams, J. Peters) and the guy(s) in front of them had Conference USA offers and have underperformed.
4. The offense we run is unrecognizable when compared to the early Mullen years. Everyone wants the Relf offense back with Fitz or Tiano running it.
5. Holloway up the middle has to stop.
6. The defense has not been good for several years, but gets little fanfare because the past offense covered it up.
7. The secondary is possibly the worst we have seen since early 2000s.
8. This season may get historically ugly.
9. Mullen is appreciated for past performance but with number 8 above, we may not have a choice in the matter moving forward.
10. Our students suck as football fans.

In many cases adversity brings people together. I have found very little dissension among the fans (the exception being Wyatt and his guest host). I just wondered if you guys agree with the above or what could be added.

messageboardsuperhero
09-05-2016, 10:06 AM
11. There is serious dead weight on the offensive staff that has got to go and be replaced with people who actually bring something to the table (Hevesy, Sallach, and Knox).

12. I have no confidence that Mullen is willing to do what needs to be done in #11.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 10:11 AM
I think I agree with you on all of that.

Engine
09-05-2016, 10:18 AM
I would cut the student section in half next game. If it doesn't stay full cut it in half again. It's time to play hardball with those bitches.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Complacency Has Infected the Program

http://i.imgur.com/q7IQh3A.jpg

msbulldog
09-05-2016, 10:22 AM
13. If the season turns out like it looks like we are going to lose some good recruits.

msbulldog
09-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Rep given.

Bdawg
09-05-2016, 10:25 AM
11. There is serious dead weight on the offensive staff that has got to go and be replaced with people who actually bring something to the table (Hevesy, Sallach, and Knox).

12. I have no confidence that Mullen is willing to do what needs to be done in #11.

In total agreement here and above. What lineman has Hev recruited and put in the nfl? And what's the deal with our backs? Are they not ready after 1-3 years of coaching them? Or is Dan just to stubborn to play them over seniors? I mean damn A. Williams came in and toted it 2 times the first quarter and he could have taken his pads off and hit the showers. I just don't get it. I would love to sit in on practices and see how they come up with who is going to get PT

HancockCountyDog
09-05-2016, 10:25 AM
I would cut the student section in half next game. If it doesn't stay full cut it in half again. It's time to play hardball with those bitches.

I agree in principle, but who do we get to fill the seats?

bluelightstar
09-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Bitching about the students -- I'm not sure you know how this works at any SEC school. I went to Alabama for grad school, and the student section there empties out for these non-conference laughers. Same at Ole Miss. Same at Georgia. ADs have to schedule these games but students (really, most fans) have no interest in them.

Bdawg
09-05-2016, 10:29 AM

Nice job there shotgun

messageboardsuperhero
09-05-2016, 10:37 AM
A Williams is in his third year in the program. If he does not know the mother 17ing pass block assignments by now it's on the coaches- not the player. I'm so sick of that bull shit excuse and watching other SECW schools have freshmen come in and play a role on their teams... All while our most talented players can't get on the field consistently until their fourth year in the program.

Alabama just had a true freshman QB that we recruited help lead them to a blowout win VS USC. And the saddest part is I know that guy would not play meaningful snaps here until his RS junior season. Not because Hurts wouldn't be good enough- but because Mullen is too damn hard headed to play his best players... "Got to play the seniors because they're good kids and deserve this opportunity"

Chris Jones didn't start until he was a junior. Perkins was the every down back ahead of J-Rob. Deontae Evans played ahead of Peters. Zach Jacson played ahead of about 5 linebackers that were better than him. B-Mac probably played <50% of the snaps he was eligible for because of seniority, stupid 1B, etc. I'm so sick of our coach not seeing what is plain as day to everyone else.

Mjoelner34
09-05-2016, 10:48 AM
A Williams is in his third year in the program. If he does not know the mother 17ing pass block assignments by now it's on the coaches- not the player. I'm so sick of that bull shit excuse and watching other SECW schools have freshmen come in and play a role on their teams... All while our most talented players can't get on the field consistently until their fourth year in the program.

Alabama just had a true freshman QB that we recruited help lead them to a blowout win VS USC. And the saddest part is I know that guy would not play meaningful snaps here until his RS junior season. Not because Hurts wouldn't be good enough- but because Mullen is too damn hard headed to play his best players... "Got to play the seniors because they're good kids and deserve this opportunity"

Chris Jones didn't start until he was a junior. Perkins was the every down back ahead of J-Rob. Deontae Evans played ahead of Peters. Zach Jacson played ahead of about 5 linebackers that were better than him. B-Mac probably played <50% of the snaps he was eligible for because of seniority, stupid 1B, etc. I'm so sick of our coach not seeing what is plain as day to everyone else.

http://media.tenor.co/images/44b56a3ffc7de9f23b2fb461165e9d62/raw

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 10:50 AM

Not going to get in a long debate about some of these names again. JRob still is showing why he had a hard time getting on the field. And B-Mac? How do you figure that one? Ritchie Brown was his back up and younger

WinningIsRelentless
09-05-2016, 10:54 AM

What if he just doesn't have the mental capacity to pick it up, is that still on the coach?

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Can we all agree on this as well?

Against South Carolina, RTGDF.

Start Fitz, shorten the game, & RTGDF over & over & over & over until this team & program gets the 17ing picture & begins to play like ass-holes again.

I want 2010 Florida against South Carolina where didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half.

I want to see this program gets it's balls back & RTGDF. Give Aeris Williams 25 17ing carries & see what happens

I want Dan Mullen to look at the SC defense & tell them the running play that's coming & we still pick up 5 yards.

Fitz was an option QB in high school right? Well run the 17ing option...... play to your strengths & stop fitting square pegs in round holes.

RTGDF

msstate7
09-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Start Fitz, shorten the game, & RTGDF over & over & over & over until this team & program gets the 17ing picture & begins to play like ass-holes again.

I want 2010 Florida against South Carolina where didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half.

I want to see this program gets it's balls back & RTGDF. Give Aeris Williams 25 17ing carries & see what happens

I want Dan Mullen to look at the SC defense & tell them the running play that's coming & we still pick up 5 yards.

Fitz was an option QB in high school right? Well run the 17ing option...... play to your strengths & stop fitting square pegs in round holes.

RTGDF

I definitely want to run the ball. I think usce will follow usa's lead though and stack the box early... We need to take a shot deep early and often till they back off.

Coursesuper
09-05-2016, 11:02 AM

RTGDF

With this offensive line you are going to want in one hand and shat in the other and see which one fills up the fastest. We won't run it on SC.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 11:05 AM
With this offensive line you are going to want in one hand and shat in the other and see which one fills up the fastest. We won't run it on SC.

Vandy ran it for 169 yards (4.0/carry) with worse qb play than us. If we commit to the run, we can run on them

Percho
09-05-2016, 11:06 AM

RTGDF

I like this but I do not want to see it tried with the same backs we have been using. If it's the QB and 1 then I want a big QB and Williams, Lee, or one of the young guys including Dear and Mixon. If Shump is on the field I want him blocking somebody as a third back.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 11:08 AM
I like this but I do not want to see it tried with the same backs we have been using. If it's the QB and 1 then I want a big QB and Williams, Lee, or one of the young guys including Dear and Mixon. If Shump is on the field I want him blocking somebody as a third back.

I don't want to completely drop Holloway. I like him getting touches esp in the passing game. Just have to limit his touches

Gatordog
09-05-2016, 11:16 AM

In the beginning Mullen drafted plays that put his best players on the field and in places where they could succeed even though they weren't as talented as their opponent, Now Mullen puts his best players on the bench because they cant conform to his playbook and what he wants to run. Reality check is now in session.

HSVDawg
09-05-2016, 11:26 AM
I agree with everything above, except for the "adversity bringing people together" line. If this season ends up being "historically ugly" like you mention in #8, you'll never see a more divided fanbase than ours. The "poor ole MSU, Mullen is the best we can do" crowd and the "fire Mullen yesterday" crowd will make the old Stansbury debates look like child's play. I'm not at all looking forward to the message boards over the next 4 months, to be honest.

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 11:45 AM
I agree with everything above, except for the "adversity bringing people together" line. If this season ends up being "historically ugly" like you mention in #8, you'll never see a more divided fanbase than ours. The "poor ole MSU, Mullen is the best we can do" crowd and the "fire Mullen yesterday" crowd will make the old Stansbury debates look like child's play. I'm not at all looking forward to the message boards over the next 4 months, to be honest.

I dislike the way you worded this post. Why the additional language for one side and not the other. That is what helps create the division as much as the ideology. Why not divisive description for the other side? Why not the idea that by the numbers there are very good reasons to keep him with a losing season, if he doesn't drop below certain thresholds. Is that poor ole state thinking or taking an analytical approach with historical precedents?

IMissJack
09-05-2016, 11:50 AM
In the beginning Mullen drafted plays that put his best players on the field and in places where they could succeed even though they weren't as talented as their opponent, Now Mullen puts his best players on the bench because they cant conform to his playbook and what he wants to run. Reality check is now in session.

This is correct. Of course it was nice to have Anthony Dixon and Ballard to give to. But in general I agree.

GTHOM
09-05-2016, 12:41 PM

RTGDF

Dan wont do it he has to show us all how smart he is. He has this saturday to fix it, I firmly believe he is coaching for his job

HSVDawg
09-05-2016, 01:12 PM
I dislike the way you worded this post. Why the additional language for one side and not the other. That is what helps create the division as much as the ideology. Why not divisive description for the other side? Why not the idea that by the numbers there are very good reasons to keep him with a losing season, if he doesn't drop below certain thresholds. Is that poor ole state thinking or taking an analytical approach with historical precedents?

I didn't intend to lead anyone on with the wording. In my opinion, "poor Ole MSU, Mullen is the best we can do" and "fire Mullen yesterday" are equally ridiculous positions to assume at this particular point in time. However, it seems if we finish anywhere between 2-10 and 6-6 there are going to be droves of people from both of those camps going at it tooth and nail all the way through signing day at the very least. I've seen numerous posters on both boards say that anything less than making a bowl this year should be grounds for termination and numerous others say that anything above 0-12 and a 4 TD loss to OM should grant him another year. That shows a pretty damn wide opinion spectrum as to Mullen's future. We as fans seem to all agree what the problems are, but how or more importantly when to fix them seems to be another matter altogether. That's all I was saying.

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 01:21 PM
I didn't intend to lead anyone on with the wording. In my opinion, "poor Ole MSU, Mullen is the best we can do" and "fire Mullen yesterday" are equally ridiculous positions to assume at this particular point in time. However, it seems if we finish anywhere between 2-10 and 6-6 there are going to be droves of people from both of those camps going at it tooth and nail all the way through signing day at the very least. I've seen numerous posters on both boards say that anything less than making a bowl this year should be grounds for termination and numerous others say that anything above 0-12 and a 4 TD loss to OM should grant him another year. That shows a pretty damn wide opinion spectrum as to Mullen's future. We as fans seem to all agree what the problems are, but how or more importantly when to fix them seems to be another matter altogether. That's all I was saying.

I get you. I'm pretty pro Mullen, his track record vs our history in comparison to weak Power 5 schools that have built themselves up, is actually in line or ahead of schedule in many cases. We were looking at 10 years to get the program up to code. However, if he finishes with less than 3 wins, that is always automatic termination in my book other than a coaches first year or two if taking over a dumpster fire. You have to give them at least a year or two in the beginning. 3-4 wins is where I think there will be a huge debate but the majority will want him gone. I know some wanted him gone even after 2014 but that's neither here or there. I think 5 wins is the number where the fan base will be split if there is no other variable to push the fans to one side.

HSVDawg
09-05-2016, 01:26 PM
I get you. I'm pretty pro Mullen, his track record vs our history in comparison to weak Power 5 schools that have built themselves up, is actually in line or ahead of schedule in many cases. We were looking at 10 years to get the program up to code. However, if he finishes with less than 3 wins, that is always automatic termination in my book other than a coaches first year or two if taking over a dumpster fire. You have to give them at least a year or two in the beginning. 3-4 wins is where I think there will be a huge debate but the majority will want him gone. I know some wanted him gone even after 2014 but that's neither here or there. I think 5 wins is the number where the fan base will be split if there is no other variable to push the fans to one side.

I agree 100%. 4-5 wins is going to be the gray area that forces a lot of people to one side or the other. Unfortunately, that seems to be where we could likely finish assuming that our staff doesn't completely mail it in. Even after Saturday's debacle, I'd still be pretty surprised if we don't win at least 4.

dawgs
09-05-2016, 01:29 PM
As much as the on field results matter, I think looking forward at mullen's current recruiting and finding players to put us in a position to turn it around is a major part of the fire Mullen crowd's stance. Why let Mullen try to right the ship if he's signing subpar recruiting classes to compete with even mid-tier sec programs? Don't list off all the exceptions to the recruiting ranking rules or tell me that the recruiting rankings just cater to the bama's and Ohio st's of the world and give bumps to the guys they offer, because however they determine who gets the stars, numbers show that they correlate with on field results. For every dak, there's dozens or hundreds of Damian Williams's. For awhile, Mullen consistently nailed the under the radar guys, like dak, but feels like more recently he hasn't been hitting on those guys and it shows. It showed last year, we just still had dak.

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 01:35 PM
As much as the on field results matter, I think looking forward at mullen's current recruiting and finding players to put us in a position to turn it around is a major part of the fire Mullen crowd's stance. Why let Mullen try to right the ship if he's signing subpar recruiting classes to compete with even mid-tier sec programs? Don't list off all the exceptions to the recruiting ranking rules or tell me that the recruiting rankings just cater to the bama's and Ohio st's of the world and give bumps to the guys they offer, because however they determine who gets the stars, numbers show that they correlate with on field results. For every dak, there's dozens or hundreds of Damian Williams's. For awhile, Mullen consistently nailed the under the radar guys, like dak, but feels like more recently he hasn't been hitting on those guys and it shows. It showed last year, we just still had dak.

Well if you fire can expect attrition from the commits unless you get a homerun that actually would use similar athletes in their scheme. That being said, you never ever fire or keep a coach trying to keep a recruiting class together. If it's time, you let him go and understand you will have a poor class that first year more than likely.

JoseBrown
09-05-2016, 01:44 PM
14. We continue to start and play our slowest and least athletic safety after benching him at halftime of UNM game proved better for our defense in the second half.

JoseBrown
09-05-2016, 01:50 PM
In total agreement here and above. What lineman has Hev recruited and put in the nfl? And what's the deal with our backs? Are they not ready after 1-3 years of coaching them? Or is Dan just to stubborn to play them over seniors? I mean damn A. Williams came in and toted it 2 times the first quarter and he could have taken his pads off and hit the showers. I just don't get it. I would love to sit in on practices and see how they come up with who is going to get PT

And why exactly is our RB committ still with us? We are gonna need Kylin and Keytaon to play from day one next year!

Goldendawg
09-05-2016, 01:51 PM
I agree and how posted similar things about all the above points. Add stop giving snaps to K. Chairs and D. Ward at LB, when we have Brown, Gray, Jung, Green, Thompson, Lewis, and Washington. This goes for all positions where seniority seems to outweigh talent and youth.

Goldendawg
09-05-2016, 01:54 PM
There has got to be more potential in our 2017 OL commits or I could see other teams using this against us when recruiting QB's, Rb's, and Skill positions.

Bdawg
09-05-2016, 02:46 PM

RTGDF

I've said the same thing numerous times in other posts. Fitz is our best option running the ball. And let's just give th damn ball to some of our big backs and see what happens. Then maybe Fitz can throw a deep ball or two.

Bdawg
09-05-2016, 03:11 PM
And why exactly is our RB committ still with us? We are gonna need Kylin and Keytaon to play from day one next year!

What exactly are you asking with that question? Are you saying our coaches are good and Kylin has confidence in them and our current RBs are not good enough to get on the field?

What do you think the reason is for our big backs not getting touches?

NCDawg
09-05-2016, 03:12 PM
As long as we have Hevesy coaching the OL, we will not be able to RTGDF, at least not consistently. We may occasionally break one, but it will have to be done by shaking off tackles, as Josh Robinson used to do.

Op4isabitch
09-05-2016, 03:15 PM
I hope Mullen runs Aeris, D.Lee and Fitz so much this coming Saturday that their ball sacks leave trenches on Scott field.

preachermatt83
09-05-2016, 03:28 PM

And u think Dan will play them from day 1?? Lol. Give me a break.

preachermatt83
09-05-2016, 03:30 PM
I agree and how posted similar things about all the above points. Add stop giving snaps to K. Chairs and D. Ward at LB, when we have Brown, Gray, Jung, Green, Thompson, Lewis, and Washington. This goes for all positions where seniority seems to outweigh talent and youth.

I agree... Except from yung. He can't tackle me

lamont
09-05-2016, 03:38 PM
What if he just doesn't have the mental capacity to pick it up, is that still on the coach?

If a RB in his 3rd season still can't grasp the offense- then you need to change your offense

Bully13
09-05-2016, 03:40 PM

Best post I've seen in a long damn time. Saban is the quintessential intense bastard. Sorry Cohen, you're #2 on that drop down click but sabans just a mother17er.

gravedigger
09-05-2016, 03:54 PM

Knox isnt part of the problem

reno hightower
09-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Bingo!

Engine
09-05-2016, 05:13 PM
I agree in principle, but who do we get to fill the seats?

I'm sure we could find someone who wants to buy those seats