PDA

View Full Version : Potential head coaches

Dawgfan77
09-04-2016, 02:24 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Brohm

We don't need 5 threads about who everyone thinks should next. Keep it here for now. Read the whole damn thread for once and see why your first thought has already been answered and won't happen likely.
-Scooba

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 02:28 PM
1. Larry Fedora
2. Chad Morris
3. Lane Kiffin
4. Guy from Southern Miss
5. Brohm

HSVDawg
09-04-2016, 02:32 PM
1. Larry Fedora
2. Chad Morris
3. Lane Kiffin
4. Guy from Southern Miss
5. Brohm

Former USM coach (Todd Monken) is #1 for me. He's worked a miracle down there and they knocked off UK yesterday largely in part due to the foundation he built before Hopson got there. Hopson would be good too, but too many OM ties.

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 02:34 PM
If LSU fires Les go get him. I don't care how much it costs.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 02:35 PM
If freeze ends up with show cause, jay hopson (usm HC) could very likely end up at om

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Les Miles???? He's as stubborn as Mullen with much better talent. No.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
09-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Art Briles he could rehab his image here and we would win and win big.

Turfdawg67
09-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Les Miles???? He's as stubborn as Mullen with much better talent. No.

Agreed! Geez! You want the man who recruited Dak to be a fullback over the man who saw his potential?!? Les can't win with Top 5 talent and you want him here?

Dawg61
09-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Last Chance U coach just for his halftime speeches and because he wants to score 100 points every game.

bluelightstar
09-04-2016, 03:22 PM
I think Larry Fedora is a good coach, and we could do worse than him. He doesn't even make $2 million at UNC.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 03:24 PM
I think Larry Fedora is a good coach, and we could do worse than him. He doesn't even make $2 million at UNC.

I like him, but he absolutely killed his team with the unsportsmanlike penalty yesterday

DownwardDawg
09-04-2016, 03:30 PM
1. Hermin (sp?) Houston coach
2. Hud

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Anyone not listing Montgomery at Tulsa is nuts. And why not shoot for the moon with Gary Patterson? He certainly seems like he's at TCU to stay, but put $5M in front of his face and see if he'll take it.

GreenheadDawg
09-04-2016, 03:32 PM
If LSU fires Les go get him. I don't care how much it costs.

Seriously? He can barely win 9 games with LSUs talent. No thanks

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 03:33 PM

http://i.imgur.com/1SyrS0x.gif
http://i.imgur.com/yZFbSy5.gif

msstate7
09-04-2016, 03:34 PM
1. Hermin (sp?) Houston coach
2. Hud

If we're shooting for Herman, might as well call Saban... We have the same shot at both

TUSK
09-04-2016, 03:37 PM
This is the 2nd thread I've read suggesting Miles as yall's next coach...

Can you imagine how bad he'd be without 4 & 5 star talent????

DownwardDawg
09-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Saban is football God. I've never heard of Hermin until very recently. Nowhere near the same.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2016, 03:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1SyrS0x.gif
http://i.imgur.com/yZFbSy5.gif

Lol. Thanks for bringing light to a dark world, WMD.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Saban is football God. I've never heard of Hermin until very recently. Nowhere near the same.

Same chance either ever coaches miss state. Herman is a rising star. Herman turned down South Carolina last year. In herman's last 2 games, he beat fsu like a drum and Oklahoma. Better learn his name

Engine
09-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Herman is not coming here get real.

Get Briles and start throwing up middle fingers to the media

fader2103
09-04-2016, 03:53 PM
One name that I looked at that would definitely get an interview would be Blake Anderson Arkansas State. Now don't think I'm advocating for him. I dunno if he's even in top 5 but someone to Atleast be on the list.

Op4isabitch
09-04-2016, 04:16 PM
My first choice is Fedora with Chizic as his DC

I'm not totally opposed to Art Briles, as a previous poster said give the middle finger to the media, hell it's not like they like us now so what can it hurt?

cheewgumm
09-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Let's hear some names. I have no clue but will throw out...

Lane Kiffin

Requiremnt - "Can recruit"

bluelightstar
09-04-2016, 08:52 PM
I've said before that I'm a fan of Larry Fedora. Spread guy, runs lots of option and downhill run game. Also understands that he doesn't know defense and so lets his DC do his job.

civildawg
09-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Fedora but he's going to be a hot commodity this year. LSU and auburn will be looking for a coach also. I also liked what I saw from hopson but I will let the season play out first.

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 09:01 PM
I've said before that I'm a fan of Larry Fedora. Spread guy, runs lots of option and downhill run game. Also understands that he doesn't know defense and so lets his DC do his job.

He's #1 on my list. I like Kiffin. I like Chad Morris. I like Bobby Petrino. I like Jeff Brohm at WKU

civildawg
09-04-2016, 09:03 PM
I don't know if Starkville is the place for kiffen. It would be a splash hire but the dude would bolt after one year.

missouridawg
09-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Art Briles. Kendall Briles.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
09-04-2016, 09:06 PM
1) Art Briles
2) Lane Kiffin
3) go back and offer Briles more money until he says yes

lamont
09-04-2016, 09:06 PM
He's #1 on my list. I like Kiffin. I like Chad Morris. I like Bobby Petrino. I like Jeff Brohm at WKU

Kiffin isnt going to take the State job. He is working for a Blueblood job
Petrino is not going to leave Louisville.
The coach at Houston is holding out for a Blueblood job
Hud is damaged goods and wont be a candidate
Art Briles is going to be the HC at LSU or Auburn next year

Now- go from there

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Fedora is not leaving UNC and their $90 MIL dollar budget to come to a much harder school to win a conference title. Not happening while he is in the midst of winning there for at best, and this is a major stretch, lateral move. Come on guys, be realistic if you are going to speculate.

bluelightstar
09-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Fedora is not leaving UNC and their $90 MIL dollar budget to come to a much harder school to win a conference title. Not happening while he is in the midst of winning there for at best, and this is a major stretch, lateral move. Come on guys, be realistic if you are going to speculate.

Fedora does not even make $2 million at UNC, and they're not going to pay him $4 million. He was on the hot seat there before they got on a roll last year.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:09 PM

Now- go from there

Agreed. Although I'm not completely sold that either will pull the trigger on Briles just yet.

cheewgumm
09-04-2016, 09:10 PM
I'd offer Briles $8m

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 09:10 PM

Now- go from there

Ed Orgeron.

Just so I can beat Preacher to it.

Bass Chaser
09-04-2016, 09:12 PM
No to Fedora, Briles, and Hudspeth.

Really Clark?
Fedora does not even make $2 million at UNC, and they're not going to pay him $4 million. He was on the hot seat there before they got on a roll last year.

He will not be leaving North Carolina except for a bigger program. We ain't it. Unless he tanks this year, in which case you will be changing your tune about wanting him, they will be extending him and he will get a raise. They usually do it every 2 years. Just rewrite your thinking with him. Won't happen unless he is fired and needing a landing spot. You want a fired retread?

lamont
I'd offer Briles $8m

wont matter- LSU and Auburn have already made contact. Art Briles will be coaching in the SEC West next year. And it wont be State

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:15 PM
wont matter- LSU and Auburn have already made contact. Art Briles will be coaching in the SEC West next year. And it wont be State

I think auburn could be a good fit for briles. If I'm lsu, I'm going after fisher at fsu. If he says no, I'd go after Mark dantonio. He's a little old (60), but I think he'd knock it out the park with lsu

Leroy Jenkins
09-04-2016, 09:16 PM
I would rather close the program than hire briles.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:16 PM

I could actually see Herman deciding this is the year. If Strong keeps his job then Herman may want to go ahead with LSU if they come calling.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:17 PM
I could actually see Herman deciding this is the year. If Strong keeps his job then Herman may want to go ahead with LSU if they come calling.

That would be a homerun too

bluelightstar
09-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Saban, Herman, Briles, and Freeze all in the SEC West would run Mullen out of the division soon enough anyway.

Pollodawg
09-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Larry Fedora or Bobby Petrino. We could get Petrino for a song, and he would love to get back into the SEC.

lamont
09-04-2016, 09:20 PM
I think auburn could be a good fit for briles. If I'm lsu, I'm going after fisher at fsu. If he says no, I'd go after Mark dantonio. He's a little old (60), but I think he'd knock it out the park with lsu

LSU wants Briles worse than anyone. And Briles loves their roster. I wont be surprised if the deal is already done

lastmajordog
09-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Brad Peterson....stipulating he hire a major league def cord. He knows offense and Ms hs football recruiting...........

lamont
Larry Fedora or Bobby Petrino. We could get Petrino for a song, and he would love to get back into the SEC.

what?

Petrino wont leave Louisville for us for any amount of money

BeardoMSU
Fedora but he's going to be a hot commodity this year. LSU and auburn will be looking for a coach also. I also liked what I saw from hopson but I will let the season play out first.

I'm afraid this year is a really bad year to be in a coaching search, considering who else will be looking to hire.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:22 PM
LSU wants Briles worse than anyone. And Briles loves their roster. I wont be surprised if the deal is already done

I'm not really sure lsu can go wrong as long as they hire a competent coach. Miles just isn't competent anymore. Lsu is a sleeping powerhouse again

preachermatt83
09-04-2016, 09:23 PM
If you want Lane Kiffin as a head coach then you just can't be helped.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:23 PM

Uh. No you can't. He just signed a new 7 year deal paying him $4.35 Mil a year and he has BIG buyout with Louisville. They were not going to bring him back with out one

preachermatt83
09-04-2016, 09:24 PM
what?

Petrino wont leave Louisville for us for any amount of money

Why do u say that?

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm afraid this year is a really bad year to be in a coaching search, considering who else will be looking to hire.

We won't be competing with lsu and auburn over a coach anyway. We can't pull the guys they can

civildawg
09-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Think about how scary LSU and auburn would be with good coaches. We are about to get left in the dust. Come to think of it, we already have.

lamont
09-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Why do u say that?

He makes more than Mullen already and Louisville has more money all over than State. Petrino knows he has it good there and isnt leaving

Commercecomet24
Jeff Brohm would be my first call.

Really Clark?
Guys I'm not trying to be a butthole, but you need to get your head out of the clouds. Any Power 5 coach that you would want to coach us is NOT going to be making a move like that. If you want Power 5 guys it's going to be coordinators or a retread like Kiffin. No sense even bring up these other coaches. If you want a guy with head coach experience you are going to have to look at someone like Brohm (who turned down a Power 5 interview last year), Montgomery, etc. And no Hud is not even remotely an option.

GreenheadDawg
09-04-2016, 09:29 PM

I don't think it really matters. Because we couldn't get any of the coaches those schools would go after anyway. Briles, Petrino, Herman, etc. would probably laugh if we called them

GreenheadDawg
09-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Guys I'm not trying to be a butthole, but you need to get your head out of the clouds. Any Power 5 coach that you would want to coach us is NOT going to be making a move like that. If you want Power 5 guys it's going to be coordinators or a retread like Kiffin. No sense even bring up these other coaches. If you want a guy with head coach experience you are going to have to look at someone like Brohm (who turned down a Power 5 interview last year), Montgomery, etc. And no Hud is not even remotely an option.

Exactly. These people saying Kiffin and Petrino need to come back down to earth

Liverpooldawg
09-04-2016, 09:32 PM

So you want to fire Dan and fire somebody who couldn't win at freaking USC? I'm a big USC fan, as a USC fan we thought the goat was something of a joke and nobody wanted to hire the little bastard. The quote that summed HIM up was " He was born on third base and wanted you to think he hit a single and stole two bases to get there."

Bass Chaser
09-04-2016, 09:33 PM
If Miles is fired LSU will go after Jimbo Fisher.

moss818
09-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Really surprised no one said Jay Hopson. Is it because of his "Mississippi" background? I just think he's a damn good coach.

lamont
09-04-2016, 09:36 PM

Our coaching list is going to be HC's from smaller schools or a guy like Whittingham at Utah that is somewhere he faces big problems. From there, its top OC's and DC's around the country.

lamont
09-04-2016, 09:37 PM
If Miles is fired LSU will go after Jimbo Fisher.

Fisher turned them down already- they will try again- but Briles is the heavy favorite right now

ckDOG
09-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Sonny Dykes. Knows offense. From the Leach coaching tree. Did well at La Tech. Has southern recruiting connections. Is getting frustrated with the difficulties of getting players in at Cal-Berkley. Briles, Fedora, Kiffin, Petrino, Herman ain't happening.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Really surprised no one said Jay Hopson. Is it because of his "Mississippi" background? I just think he's a damn good coach.

Partially but he needs to run his own D1 program for a while. He stepped into a good situation left by Monken. Would call Monken before Hopson. I do think he is a good coach but needs more skins on the wall at USM

bluelightstar
09-04-2016, 09:40 PM
I don't pretend to be well-connected or know what'll happen, but you never know what's going on behind the scenes at some of these programs. *Nobody* thought Bret Bielema coming off three straight Rose Bowls at Wisconsin was going to go take over Arkansas either.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Would you interview Geoff Collins? High energy guy that can recruit

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Our coaching list is going to be HC's from smaller schools or a guy like Whittingham at Utah that is somewhere he faces big problems. From there, its top OC's and DC's around the country.

Agreed. And you take someone like Montgomery if he has a really good year I could see Baylor making that move.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Can you go wrong hiring an urban Meyer OC? Tim beck and Ed warinner

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:44 PM

Yes but we have a long discussion about how he left to go to Florida. I'm leery of him right now. His interview would have to be outstanding to get a second one. And I mean blow me away.

Mjoelner34
09-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Just hire Archie, let him set up network then kick back and relax.**

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Do you guys think maybe we hired him with the understanding he'd move to on-field this offseason? What's his area of expertise?

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Sonny Dykes. Knows offense. From the Leach coaching tree. Did well at La Tech. Has southern recruiting connections. Is getting frustrated with the difficulties of getting players in at Cal-Berkley. Briles, Fedora, Kiffin, Petrino, Herman ain't happening.

Sonny's La Tech took us into overtime 3 years ago. He had a well prepared team.

Todd4State
Recruiting. I guess he would coach tight ends. If we promised him an on the field job, why is Sallach not in a front office position? That just seems awkward.

Noxdog
Do you guys think maybe we hired him with the understanding he'd move to on-field this offseason? What's his area of expertise?

fascination with HS coaches or hud????

Basically none.

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Art Briles, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, guys have we lost all our morals? Hey, I know, Hugh Freeze might be available if we wait out his show cause, good church going man who knows how to recruit, I hear. Seriously, this thread caught fire the quickest of any I've seen since my join date.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:51 PM

No.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:51 PM
fascination with HS coaches or hud????

Basically none.

What if I told you that 2 of the sec west HCs were HS coaches not too long ago? Just bc you start in HS doesn't mean you aren't good

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm starting to like Brohm. He has a really impressive staff too. Some with NFL/SEC connections.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:53 PM

Sonny also recruits Mississippi very well.

preachermatt83
What if I told you that 2 of the sec west HCs were HS coaches not too long ago? Just bc you start in HS doesn't mean you aren't good

Exactly!

msstate7
No.

Not sure why the board seems to hate Collins. Sure he left us, but the same ones that hate him for it are the ones that say Dan won't let DCs play like they want to

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:56 PM

Yeah but both of them had also coached a year at Arkansas State for a year too. It's not like they hired a coach straight from Madison Central.

Noxdog
09-04-2016, 09:57 PM

What if I told you most likely both will be out of jobs after this season? So what?? Damn cheaters get caught up with.

(maybe danny hugh survives 1 more)

lastmajordog
09-04-2016, 09:59 PM
I’m telling you Brad was a miracle worker in HS.....saw it first hand in two different schools. Granted he needs a badass def cord but he is a great off mind. Innovative and players would kill for him. My kid never got to play for him and it’s one of my biggest regrets in my life. He can make that kind of positive affect on them. I’m telling you if preacher can win in oxford with the network, Brad could win with what we have in Scott Field now. I’ve seen enough to know that.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 10:03 PM

He did but it would really depend on what he does this year without the big QB gone. If he doesn't have a winning season this year, can you justify bringing him in with just one 8 win season and 3 losing at Cal? Mullen did much better his first 4 years while playing in the toughest division in the history of college football.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 10:03 PM
I’m telling you Brad was a miracle worker in HS.....saw it first hand in two different schools. Granted he needs a badass def cord but he is a great off mind. Innovative and players would kill for him. My kid never got to play for him and it’s one of my biggest regrets in my life. He can make that kind of positive affect on them. I’m telling you if preacher can win in oxford with the network, Brad could win with what we have in Scott Field now. I’ve seen enough to know that.

I believe you but the fact of the matter is he needs to coach one year in the Sun Belt or C-USA first. We need to see things like who his DC would be and things like that and how he handles the media.

M.Fillmore
09-04-2016, 10:04 PM
I know that Petersen is flavor of the month on this board. He is quite skilled at throwing people under the bus. I know people who have worked for him and were not sad to see him move on.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 10:07 PM

Great. He may do well in college. Let him actually run a college program first somewhere else then we can address it. Nobody goes straight from HS to a Power 5 HC job. It's a totally different animal.

lamont
09-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Peterson has 0% chance of being our next HC

move on

STATEBALLIN
09-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Holtz @ LaTech or Jones @ USA?

msstate7
09-04-2016, 10:08 PM
I believe you but the fact of the matter is he needs to coach one year in the Sun Belt or C-USA first. We need to see things like who his DC would be and things like that and how he handles the media.
I don't want Peterson as HC next season. I'm talking about an on-field assistant job

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Not sure why the board seems to hate Collins. Sure he left us, but the same ones that hate him for it are the ones that say Dan won't let DCs play like they want to

I don't hate him. I just don't think he would be a good head coach.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Peterson has 0% chance of being our next HC

move on

My thread got moved here for some reason. My question on Peterson was he promised an on-field assistant job for the next upcoming season. Seems odd to me to leave as perhaps the most successful HC in HS for an office job in college unless he was promised a path to the field

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 10:12 PM
I don't want Peterson as HC next season. I'm talking about an on-field assistant job

I could see that being a possibility but there are too many unknowns right now. We're going to need someone like him and Buckley that know Mississippi pretty well.

I doubt we would promise anything to anyone at this point.

TUSK
09-04-2016, 10:12 PM
]Kiffin isnt going to take the State job. He is working for a Blueblood job[/B]

Now- go from there

this is correct.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Holtz @ LaTech or Jones @ USA?

No on Holtz. South Florida was a disaster. He needs few more 9+ wins at La Tech to make the top 20 of our list. Jones has never finished above .500 at USA. Actually think they may this year but it's a hard no for a while on him.

lamont
09-04-2016, 10:13 PM
My thread got moved here for some reason. My question on Peterson was he promised an on-field assistant job for the next upcoming season. Seems odd to me to leave as perhaps the most successful HC in HS for an office job in college unless he was promised a path to the field

Peterson is certainly looking for a way onto the college field and this job is it. But its not guaranteed. And if a new staff comes in- all bets are off

TUSK
09-04-2016, 10:14 PM
No.

dude.

really?

I'm changing my sig, dammit.

HoopsDawg
09-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Gonna have to find another Tom Herman. Easier said than done.

HoopsDawg
09-04-2016, 10:20 PM

Head Coach at MSU needs to be an innovative offensive mind. It's pretty easy to find a DC.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Gonna have to find another Tom Herman. Easier said than done.

Look on the urban Meyer staff...

Strong at Texas
Herman at Houston
Mullen
Anderson at Wisconsin
Holliday at Marshall
Whittington at Utah

All have had success as HCs and there's more that were hired as HCs off Meyer's staff. Meyer seems to be a great coach of coaches as well as football players

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 10:24 PM
Yeah, Dan shows how easy it is to find a DC, about every one to two years.

Corn Bread
09-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Holly whoooopa, we gone cray, cray. Calm down and let this staff do its job. Yea, we are down, but I cannot coach from a IPad nor can you. Take a break!

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Holly whoooopa, we gone cray, cray. Calm down and let this staff do its job. Yea, we are down, but I cannot coach from a IPad nor can you. Take a break!

I?m no Bill Billecheck but I know that you can?t run a 160 pound running back into the teeth of a SEC defense constantly.

ScottH
09-04-2016, 11:06 PM
To the Brohm poster. i love him. But he's at Louisville as soon as Petrino retires or goes to Auburn. Obviously they can match us $ for $.

Briles won't get a call. But I'd love to get him just to read Rachel Baribeau's editorials.

No order - revised slightly from this AM after further reflection.

Monken
Harsin
Fleck
Collins - this is MSU"S first call of the "gettable" names". I rarely have zero doubt but of this I do.
Montgomery
Morris

I wonder who Adidas has one speed dial?

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 11:08 PM

If you want an offensive guy: Chad Morris at SMU. Also, a name no one has mentioned from D2. What about the guy at North Dakota State? I personally wouldn't be for it just want to see what you guys think.

DownwardDawg
09-04-2016, 11:08 PM

No. He can't even coach defense.

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 11:09 PM
To the Brohm poster. i love him. But he's at Louisville as soon as Petrino retires or goes to Auburn. Obviously they can match us $ for $.

No order - revised slightly from this AM.

Monken
Harsin
Fleck
Collins
Montgomery
Morris

I'm from Arkansas and I loved Harsin when he was there. High energy guy.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
09-04-2016, 11:10 PM
After watching the game tonight, add Sterlin Gilbert to the list. He must be a miracle worker because that did not look like a typical Texas offense as of late.

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 11:11 PM
After watching the game tonight, add Sterlin Gilbert to the list. He must be a miracle worker because that did not look like a typical Texas offense as of late.

That had a lot to do with that new QB.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 11:19 PM
That had a lot to do with that new QB.

He played well but Gilbert is reason for that offense. Everywhere he has been he has had great offenses.

TUSK
09-04-2016, 11:24 PM

Strong at Texas
Herman at Houston
Mullen
Anderson at Wisconsin
Holliday at Marshall
Whittington at Utah

All have had success as HCs and there's more that were hired as HCs off Meyer's staff. Meyer seems to be a great coach of coaches as well as football players

Yeah, but how many cardiac arrests has CUM produced?

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 11:25 PM
If you want an offensive guy: Chad Morris at SMU. Also, a name no one has mentioned from D2. What about the guy at North Dakota State? I personally wouldn't be for it just want to see what you guys think.

Year before last, I would agree. But now that he is running his own program you have to wait and see what he does this year. And it really needs to be a big jump from last year's 2-10 season. No way we can justify firing Mullen and bringing in a guy with two losing seasons.

Klieman at North Dakota State is very good and played at Northern Iowa which turns out some fantastic coaches over the years. I think that's too big of a jump straight to the SEC, especially with no ties.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 11:26 PM

1 so far unless he gave you one 2 years ago in New Orleans? Haha

Bass Chaser
09-04-2016, 11:27 PM

About as many as Fred Sanford.

TUSK
09-04-2016, 11:29 PM
1 so far unless he gave you one 2 years ago in New Orleans? Haha

TOUCHE' MFer!!!!!

Bucky Dog
09-04-2016, 11:32 PM
First off, we really do have a bunch of idiots still playing this game of who our next coach will be. It's actually pretty sad to hear you guys act so retarded because, Dan is not nice to you, and he doesn't want to be here, and his coaches don't like him!! Dan is the CEO, it's not his job to get his players and coaches to like him. It's about getting them to coach and play their best and win. You hear stories of him being an ass but in the end you have guys like Dak who give him all the credit and says the team knows he has their best interest at heart. It's really getting sad and old!

But I will play your game of the next head coach. Brent Venables

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 11:38 PM

Briles won't get a call. But I'd love to get him just to read Rachel Baribeau's editorials.

No order - revised slightly from this AM after further reflection.

Monken
Harsin
Fleck
Collins - this is MSU"S first call of the "gettable" names". I rarely have zero doubt but of this I do.
Montgomery
Morris

I wonder who Adidas has one speed dial?

I like Monken but he would have to explain leaving a HC job for a position job when things were just starting to roll at USM. Odd to leave a D1 HC job like that.

Harsin is a good coach but at his alma mater. If they get selected for a Power conference he won't come and may wait it out at his home school.

Fleck is dependent on him winning 8+ again this season. Might need another year but looks to be a good up and coming coach.

Really like Montgomery. Have to see how the carousal shakes out with him. Baylor may come calling

Morris would have to really turn in a big year for SMU. 2-10 last year puts him 2-3 years away from moving up unless he wins a lot this year or pulls off a big upset and wins 8+.

HSVDawg
09-05-2016, 12:12 AM

Now- go from there

Kiffin is never going to get that blueblood job and I'll never understand why his name continues to come up for any job. He went 6-6 at UT, completely sucked at USC who has infinite resources, and is now where he will be for the rest of his career as an OC of a premier program. Dude is a great offensive mind but an absolutely terrible head coach. Always has been always will be.

HSVDawg
09-05-2016, 12:17 AM
I like Monken but he would have to explain leaving a HC job for a position job when things were just starting to roll at USM. Odd to leave a D1 HC job like that.

It's not a position job, he is the offensive coordinator for the Bucs. And an NFL OC job is infinitely more prestigious than being the head coach of a CUSA team. Not to mention, USM's athletic department is a complete shitshow. Not saying he shouldn't have waited around for a better head gig in college, but it requires no explanation whatsoever as to why he left.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 12:19 AM
Kiffin is never going to get that blueblood job and I'll never understand why his name continues to come up for any job. He went 6-6 at UT, completely sucked at USC who has infinite resources, and is now where he will be for the rest of his career as an OC of a premier program. Dude is a great offensive mind but an absolutely terrible head coach. Always has been always will be.

He was only at UT for a year. They would have won a lot had he stayed. USC was on probation. That’s the main reason why he didn’t win at those places. He actually did win at USC. He’s a better coach than he is given credit for- which is his own fault because he’s a douchebag.

I think right now he is waiting on Saban to retire so that he can take over Alabama. If he keeps hanging 53 on people like USC he’ll have a good chance of getting that job too. Especially now that he has his best friend in line to replace him as the OC.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 12:22 AM

Harsin is a good coach but at his alma mater. If they get selected for a Power conference he won't come and may wait it out at his home school.

Fleck is dependent on him winning 8+ again this season. Might need another year but looks to be a good up and coming coach.

Really like Montgomery. Have to see how the carousal shakes out with him. Baylor may come calling

Morris would have to really turn in a big year for SMU. 2-10 last year puts him 2-3 years away from moving up unless he wins a lot this year or pulls off a big upset and wins 8+.

To be fair, Montgomery needs to have a winning season himself to stay on the short list.

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 12:51 AM
To be fair, Montgomery needs to have a winning season himself to stay on the short list.

Agreed but he took 3 and 2 win team the prior two years to a 6-6 team his first year and play Va Tech very close in the bowl game. A regression this year and he will have to wait it out a few more years. But a very nice first year.

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 12:53 AM
It's not a position job, he is the offensive coordinator for the Bucs. And an NFL OC job is infinitely more prestigious than being the head coach of a CUSA team. Not to mention, USM's athletic department is a complete shitshow. Not saying he shouldn't have waited around for a better head gig in college, but it requires no explanation whatsoever as to why he left.

I agree with everything you said but you just don't see a D1 HC leave for a coordinator job. Even in the NFL. You have to ask the question to find out where his heart is at and you have to get USM's perspective on what went down. Timing of it and everything.

fader2103
09-05-2016, 12:58 AM
5 names to watch for in the next few years, if this is not the year we pull the trigger.
1. Blake Anderson
2. Jason Candle
3. Scottie Montgomery
4. Satterfield
5. Jeremy Pruitt

GTHOM
09-05-2016, 01:02 AM
If you dont get Briles or Petrino theres no use in doing it. Art Briles is number 1 on my list do whatever needs to be done to get him. If we dont I promise you someone else will. None of these other names really excite me. Harsin has done well at Boise but it doesnt jump out at me. Maybe Montgomery, maybe Chad Morris if he puts it together this year. And it pains me to say that because I am sick and tired of Dan Mullen. Beyond sick and tired.

Liverpooldawg
09-05-2016, 01:02 AM
I don't want to fire Mullen yet, as you all know. That being said some of you have freaking gone off the deep end. LANE KIFFEN? Let me give you some background: I've been a USC fan for decades They were always my second team growing up since the time of Anthony Davis. That was confirmed after I got married. My wife's uncle played for SC. He is a great guy and has been VERY generous to our family. I love SC more than any other school other than MSU. I've had longer experience with the GOAT boy than nearly every one here. We DON'T want the GOAT. That guy was born on third base but wants you to think he got there with a single and two stolen bases. He has done well.............under Pete Carroll and Nick Saban. Take those two away and......well...........

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 01:17 AM
If you dont get Briles or Petrino theres no use in doing it. Art Briles is number 1 on my list do whatever needs to be done to get him. If we dont I promise you someone else will. None of these other names really excite me. Harsin has done well at Boise but it doesnt jump out at me. Maybe Montgomery, maybe Chad Morris if he puts it together this year. And it pains me to say that because I am sick and tired of Dan Mullen. Beyond sick and tired.

Then there is no use to doing it. The only way and I mean the only way you get Briles is if the bigger schools won't touch him AND he decides to get back in right now instead of waiting another year. But if information is correct he has to be passed up by several schools before we get a shot. Petrino is not leaving, Louisville has a good bit more money than we do, and just signed a new deal. Not to mention many in power are not in favor of bring him on even if it's possible. Lousiville will more than likely be his last stop.

GTHOM
09-05-2016, 01:33 AM
Then there is no use to doing it. The only way and I mean the only way you get Briles is if the bigger schools won't touch him AND he decides to get back in right now instead of waiting another year. But if information is correct he has to be passed up by several schools before we get a shot. Petrino is not leaving, Louisville has a good bit more money than we do, and just signed a new deal. Not to mention many in power are not in favor of bring him on even if it's possible. Lousiville will more than likely be his last stop.

I think Petrino would love to come back to the SEC and shove it down the media's and the rest of the leagues throat. Say what you want but all he's done is win at the college level. We can pay him 4.3 mil or more if thats what hes making at UL. I'm not sure what the number is exactly. Briles is the absolute number 1 on my list. If what you say is true then hopefully Auburn keeps Malzahn and LSU keeps Miles or gets someone else. I think Briles would come here. Its not 1989 State anymore

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 01:56 AM
I think Petrino would love to come back to the SEC and shove it down the media's and the rest of the leagues throat. Say what you want but all he's done is win at the college level. We can pay him 4.3 mil or more if thats what hes making at UL. I'm not sure what the number is exactly. Briles is the absolute number 1 on my list. If what you say is true then hopefully Auburn keeps Malzahn and LSU keeps Miles or gets someone else. I think Briles would come here. Its not 1989 State anymore

Petrino is not looking at that anymore. He knows he is very fortunate to get back to a Power 5 school that he also has strong ties with. He even agreed to keep the $10 Mil buyout with the new contract to prove he is not leaving and wants to finish his career at Louisville. The only chance anyone has to pull him away is an elite school and then I'm still not sure he leaves. We are not 1989 State anymore but Petrino is not a viable candidate for us either.

Dawgface
09-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Petrino is not looking at that anymore. He knows he is very fortunate to get back to a Power 5 school that he also has strong ties with. He even agreed to keep the $10 Mil buyout with the new contract to prove he is not leaving and wants to finish his career at Louisville. The only chance anyone has to pull him away is an elite school and then I'm still not sure he leaves. We are not 1989 State anymore but Petrino is not a viable candidate for us either.

Agree.

Dawgfan77
09-05-2016, 07:55 AM

Strong at Texas
Herman at Houston
Mullen
Anderson at Wisconsin
Holliday at Marshall
Whittington at Utah

Anderson is at Oregon state now. Paul cryst is at Wisconsin

msstate7
09-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Anderson is at Oregon state now. Paul cryst is at Wisconsin

His success was at Wisconsin though. He's been less than stellar at Oregon state

msbulldog
09-05-2016, 08:34 AM

NO!

msbulldog
09-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Let's hear some names. I have no clue but will throw out...

Lane Kiffin

Requiremnt - "Can recruit"

That would really piss Tenn. and Ala. off, so why not.

msbulldog
09-05-2016, 09:00 AM
He played well but Gilbert is reason for that offense. Everywhere he has been he has had great offenses.

I like this, could be gettable.

msbulldog
09-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Petrino bailed on Louisville for The Dirty Birds, bailed on the Birds mid season for Arkansas. Then had that lovely incident at Arkansas, that he lied about, that got him fired. No.

HSVDawg
09-05-2016, 09:34 AM
He was only at UT for a year. They would have won a lot had he stayed. USC was on probation. That’s the main reason why he didn’t win at those places. He actually did win at USC. He’s a better coach than he is given credit for- which is his own fault because he’s a douchebag.

I think right now he is waiting on Saban to retire so that he can take over Alabama. If he keeps hanging 53 on people like USC he’ll have a good chance of getting that job too. Especially now that he has his best friend in line to replace him as the OC.

There's no evidence whatsoever that he would have continued winning at UT. He's only had one decent season ever and that was when he went 10-2 his second year at USC which was well before the probation and scholly cuts caught up with them. They still lost two games despite being far and away the most talented team in the PAC 12. Every other season has ranged from mediocre to awful. There isn't any evidence that he could ever have that it takes to build a consistent winner in the SEC, and that is not even taking his off the field shenanigans into consideration.

DogsofAnarchy
09-05-2016, 09:39 AM
be GREAT!! MSU has to hire an OFFENSIVE coach. It's the way you win in college football today and it's the only way a team like MSU has a shot at the big boys.

dawgday166
09-05-2016, 10:25 AM
I like Herman if we could somehow get him. Probably a pipe dream tho.

Quaoarsking
09-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Briles will have to admit his wrongdoing and apologize before any team even considers him. So far he's in deep denial.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 10:31 AM
There's a lot of wishful thinking on coaches here. As long as we're reaching, I'd reach out to jim tressel and see if he'd come. No chance, but all that would be wasted is a phone call

GTHOM
09-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Petrino bailed on Louisville for The Dirty Birds, bailed on the Birds mid season for Arkansas. Then had that lovely incident at Arkansas, that he lied about, that got him fired. No.

Whats his record in college again???

DeputyDawg94
09-05-2016, 12:42 PM
This is the 2nd thread I've read suggesting Miles as yall's next coach...

Can you imagine how bad he'd be without 4 & 5 star talent????
100% agree. And no Briles either. I'm sure he has learned from the crap at Baylor but it's too soon for him to be made a head coach again. Having said that I think he is at Auburn next year anyway.

Op4isabitch
09-05-2016, 02:54 PM
So let me get this straight, just so I understand,

It's to soon for Briles to,be a Head Coach again but several people think he will be at either Auburn or L.S.U next year?

Good heavens, we wonder why others mock us, if Auburn or LSU is willing to hire the guy we sure as hell should be willing to do the same thing.

I don't give a rats ass what others or the media say, if the guy has learnt his lesson and isn't a cheat then bring his ass in here, he's the kind of guy that would win here and win fast.

Dawg for life
09-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Hermann will not come here. He's next stop could be LSU. Fedora NO, I would take a chance with Art Briles. I know it would hurt us image wise but we took a chance on another coach like that one time and it worked out pretty well.... Jackie Wayne

Dawg for life
09-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Brad Peterson.... I hope you are drunk or high!!

Dawg for life
09-05-2016, 03:14 PM
If we hire a new coach it needs to be an offensive minded guy. Thats why I like Briles. He takes less talent and scores a ton of points. Thats exactly what our situation will always be. We need a guy that knows how to get players in space like Holloway. Get him in space and let him run. He would be a great hire

msstate7
09-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Brad Peterson.... I hope you are drunk or high!!

If you'd read the whole thread before responding, you'd see that my thread got moved here. I asked was Brad promised on on-field assistant job this coming offseason. Take the time to read a thread before jumping in it

Bothrops
09-05-2016, 03:37 PM
2jat about that boy at Ut a h?

craigmid
09-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Kliff Kingsbury

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Kliff Kingsbury

Is not leaving his alma mater making $3.5 MIL a year for a lateral move. Y'all just need to forget a current HC at any of the Power 5 schools. And that doesn't have anything to do with poor ole state thinking. We have money to pay and keep a good coach. But the current coaches that are worth paying over say $5-6 MIL a year are already at a higher profile school. If there is no connection to us why move to the hardest division in football at a mid tier school if you are already at a mid tier school? Whittingham I know has been brought up before because of money issues he has with Utah. Him or a scernio that pops up similar or some turmoil another HC is having at his present job, we can vist that down the road as a possibility.

RocketDawg
09-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Saban has done about all he can do at Bama. Maybe he'd like a real challenge? ***

Pollodawg
09-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Ok. So, I was wrong about Petrino being had for a song. You'll have to forgive me, keyboard cowboys.