PDA

View Full Version : On our last run before the missed FG...

MedDawg
09-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I got a bad feeling when I saw the runner (Williams?) was stopped by defenders in the middle of the field then pushed from the middle of the field over to the hashmark and the refs placed the ball at the hashmark. I've seen our kickers before from the hashmark kick the ball straight down the field instead of toward the center and miss it wide, and that is exactly what happened.

It shouldn't have mattered, but our runner purposefully ran to the center of the field (as everybody does) and his forward progress was stopped in the center of the field. Seems the ball should have been placed there.

Dawg4Life
09-04-2016, 06:08 PM
I got a bad feeling when I saw the runner (Williams?) was stopped by defenders in the middle of the field then pushed from the middle of the field over to the hashmark and the refs placed the ball at the hashmark. I've seen our kickers before from the hashmark kick the ball straight down the field instead of toward the center and miss it wide, and that is exactly what happened.

It shouldn't have mattered, but our runner purposefully ran to the center of the field (as everybody does) and his forward progress was stopped in the center of the field. Seems the ball should have been placed there.

I had the same feeling. Call me old and weak but I felt terrible for Graves. I'm sure there wasn't much sleep last night for him.

Commercecomet24
09-04-2016, 06:13 PM
I had the same feeling. Call me old and weak but I felt terrible for Graves. I'm sure there wasn't much sleep last night for him.

I felt bad for him too. Should he have made it? Yes. Should we have been in the position to have a last second fg decide a game against USA? Heck no! I know Weston feels like he lost that game but there's plenty of blame to go around, and mostly on the coaches.

OlePissSux
09-04-2016, 06:16 PM
I hate playing to lose like that. Trying to set up a FG. Try to score and if we don't then get your FG but don't just play for it to miss it.

lastmajordog
09-04-2016, 06:22 PM
This sounds like an EmoryBallard discussion....it SHOULD NOT HAVE COME TO A KICK. I can NOT tell you the number of times Emory lost BIG GAMES playing for a field goal When marching down the field LIKE A BOSS!!.....and then sit .....once he did it on 3rd down with time left.......THIS IS ON MULLEN and THE PLAYERS other than the kicker......a kicker should be a LAST RESORT.......especially against a second string def front.........I feel that young man is a STAND UP MAN....he owned it and took responsibility like a MAN........unlike a "50% of the teams are going to lose" COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScoobaDawg
09-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Yep...when I saw run another play i knew thats what was going on.. and sure enough Williams over did it. His job was get down in the middle of the field. He kept pushing and got knocked to the left hashmark... then it became a game of an inch and we fell on the wrong side of the kick.

t45fixer
09-04-2016, 06:42 PM
We absolutely got screwed on that. However no excuse at that distance.

Charlie_Sheen420
09-04-2016, 06:45 PM
If you go back and watch the end of the game, Mullen was about to make an even bigger screw up and run another running play to get back to the middle because he thought he had one more timeout...the official had to tell him he did not have anymore timeouts. Imagine how pissed we would all be if he had run another play to get back to the middle of the field thinking he had one more timeout....

Commercecomet24
09-04-2016, 06:53 PM
This sounds like an EmoryBallard discussion....it SHOULD NOT HAVE COME TO A KICK. I can NOT tell you the number of times Emory lost BIG GAMES playing for a field goal When marching down the field LIKE A BOSS!!.....and then sit .....once he did it on 3rd down with time left.......THIS IS ON MULLEN and THE PLAYERS other than the kicker......a kicker should be a LAST RESORT.......especially against a second string def front.........I feel that young man is a STAND UP MAN....he owned it and took responsibility like a MAN........unlike a "50% of the teams are going to lose" COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to every bit of that! Weston Graves showed some serious stones by owning it, hope it rubs off on some others!

archdog
09-04-2016, 06:57 PM

My answer to the 50% bullshit is that number is a bit off when you talk about a 28.5 pt favorite. You think Ohio State had a 50% chance of losing yesterday, Coach? Heck no they didn't. Just like us, they had about a 2% chance of losing.

JoseBrown
09-04-2016, 07:05 PM
What that was was a classic Mullen end of regulation cluster17. Graves didn't even have time to get his head straight running out there at the last second to get ready to kick from the left hash. Which the ball should have never been on, because Dan's boy should've been told get it to center and kneel or go down or whatever.

You think Graves needed an extra few yards there Dan? Hell no. Dam.Williams get the ball to the center and take a damn knee. That's it. Easy. Don't fight for a yard, what if they stripped him? What if he dropped it? What if they poke him in the eye, and he lets go of it to protect his other eye? SMH....

Very simple, we should NEVER need a last second kick to beat South anyway. Since we did, It's time. Give him this season, if he can't figure a way to get to a bowl fire him. Hint Dan: it won't be with dam.williams.

Leroy Jenkins
09-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Double post.

Leroy Jenkins
09-04-2016, 07:28 PM
And the thing that is lost, because it doesn't matter now, is Dan though he still had a TO left. He asked the ref 3 times "We still have 1 left, right?" No Daniel you didnt, they are not like rollover minutes.

Dawgtini
09-04-2016, 08:37 PM
If Williams was faster than a tackle, he would have scored and this all would be moot.

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 08:47 PM
We've gone from trying to get a last minute FG to beat Bama and LSU to trying to beat a mediocre Sun Belt team. That is major regression.

HSVDawg
09-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Honestly, we never should have run that additional play to begin with. We had the opportunity to kick a midrange field goal with over 10 seconds left and a timeout to play with. If there was a bad snap, we could have fallen on it, called timeout, and gotten a second try from around 45 yards. Instead we run an additional play to try and center it up and we end up screwing the pooch. In either case, shouldn't have come to that. Just another in a long line of screw ups down the stretch for Mullen.

maroonmania
09-04-2016, 08:59 PM
What that was was a classic Mullen end of regulation cluster17. Graves didn't even have time to get his head straight running out there at the last second to get ready to kick from the left hash. Which the ball should have never been on, because Dan's boy should've been told get it to center and kneel or go down or whatever.

You think Graves needed an extra few yards there Dan? Hell no. Dam.Williams get the ball to the center and take a damn knee. That's it. Easy. Don't fight for a yard, what if they stripped him? What if he dropped it? What if they poke him in the eye, and he lets go of it to protect his other eye? SMH....

Very simple, we should NEVER need a last second kick to beat South anyway. Since we did, It's time. Give him this season, if he can't figure a way to get to a bowl fire him. Hint Dan: it won't be with dam.williams.

All that was on DWilliams because he absolutely should have run to the middle of the field and slid down. Instead he made them tackle him so they were able to force him out toward the hash. He also screwed up taking the sack on the series or two before pushing a 37 yard FG out to a 47 yard FG.

MetEdDawg
09-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I wasn't a fan of Dan saying they were trying for a FG. We got down there with plenty of time. Don't go QB up the middle to get a FG ready. You try for a TD and settle for a FG if you have to. We should have run a couple option plays or maybe even a screen down there. I HATE leaving games up to field goals.

RiverCityDawg
09-04-2016, 09:04 PM
And the thing that is lost, because it doesn't matter now, is Dan though he still had a TO left. He asked the ref 3 times "We still have 1 left, right?" No Daniel you didnt, they are not like rollover minutes.

He absolutely should have known, but in his defense the scoreboard indicated that we still had a timeout left. Again, he should be able to count himself, but it could explain why he kept asking about it.

Commercecomet24
09-04-2016, 09:04 PM
I wasn't a fan of Dan saying they were trying for a FG. We got down there with plenty of time. Don't go QB up the middle to get a FG ready. You try for a TD and settle for a FG if you have to. We should have run a couple option plays or maybe even a screen down there. I HATE leaving games up to field goals.

Yep I've watched way to many games blown at the end by a botched kick. I told my sons I wished we would go for a td and not leave it up to a kick.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Graves missed a freaking chip shot. It shouldn't have matter where the ball was.

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 09:14 PM
We're trying to win with a QB who was flipped from Southern Miss at the last minute and is trying to replace perhaps the best QB we have ever had except for what I've been told about Jackie Parker. Talk about a drop in talent from our great recruiting.