PDA

View Full Version : WMD's ACQB: Cat Scratch Fever Edition

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Peeps, ACQB is up early this week (http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/09/04/wmds-armchair-qb-cat-scratch-fever-edition/). Check it out. I really got into Hevesy & the Mullen Country Club.

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Speaking of "Cat Scratch Fever", can we get rid of that lame Journey song to start the 4th quarter? That ship has sailed. Really enjoy reading your posts and articles.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Good article. I especially thought the "celebrity coach" stuff was spot on. It's disgusting

Here's the thing:

In life, you are the average of the two or three people you hang around the most.

At Florida, Mullen hung out with Urban and Charlie Strong

At MSU, he hangs out with Hev and Sallach.

Ultimately he's regressed as a head coach because he got away from people that pushed him.

mic
09-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Country Club Boys... That's my line ... And I agree 100%.
Spot on with Holloway. I think he is a warrior . But everytime he has a big play for 15 plus yards we go right back to him. Holloway should never have the ball in back to back plays reguardless of what the results are positive or negative on the first touch ..
Just turn Aries lose. He prob isn't a SEC #1 back but we know for sure Shump isn't and Holloway is a great change of pace guy..
And from what I have been told just turn the page on the other 3 RB's..
I agree Ross, Gray and when he is back Dear should lead our team in touches every game

Defense is TBD .. I think our front 7 is very good and our back end will get better.. Giving up 21 points to USA wasn't that surprising .. Letting them score on the last drive is what stands out the most .. But Us scoring only 20 is what's unacceptable

blacklistedbully
09-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Perhaps your best write up to date, though I wouldn't underestimate the effect of that smile. Took me from angry to incensed!

RiverCityDawg
09-04-2016, 06:31 PM

I'd like to hear more about this. What have you been told? Gibson seems to have some ability.

lastmajordog
09-04-2016, 06:41 PM
link??

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 06:43 PM
I'd like to hear more about this. What have you been told? Gibson seems to have some ability.

I'd like to hear more as well, because I was VERY impressed with both Gibson & Murphy in the spring game. I know it's a meaningless game, but they both showed all the tools that day. Good burst into the hole, power to run through tackles, ball security. They both even showed good hands out of the backfield. As for D-Lee, I still think he's the best pure runner of the 4 we've seen carry the ball in a real game so far. The question is whether or not he can get his shit together off the field.

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 06:43 PM
link??

Right in the first sentence. Just click.

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Country Club Boys... That's my line ... And I agree 100%.
Spot on with Holloway. I think he is a warrior . But everytime he has a big play for 15 plus yards we go right back to him. Holloway should never have the ball in back to back plays reguardless of what the results are positive or negative on the first touch ..
Just turn Aries lose. He prob isn't a SEC #1 back but we know for sure Shump isn't and Holloway is a great change of pace guy..
I agree Ross, Gray and when he is back Dear should lead our team in touches every game

Defense is TBD .. I think our front 7 is very good and our back end will get better.. Giving up 21 points to USA wasn't that surprising .. Letting them score on the last drive is what stands out the most .. But Us scoring only 20 is what's unacceptable

Won't lie, I totally stole it. It was too good not to use.

JoseBrown
09-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Good job WMD! Right on the money, except I wouldn't sleep on that smile. It's not the first time and the more it happens the more it reflects negatively on OUR program. I say OUR, because after Dan is long gone WE will still be here supporting it.

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Good job WMD! Right on the money, except I wouldn't sleep on that smile. It's not the first time and the more it happens the more it reflects negatively on OUR program. I say OUR, because after Dan is long gone WE will still be here supporting it.

Like I said, I just think people are reading way too much into it. I know I've smiled ironically at stuff before. Why should a coach be any different?

Frankly, we the fans/alumni care more than the coaches do. They're only real investment is to the paycheck. They'll be fired and hired elsewhere. Nature of the job. We're invested emotionally, financially, etc. It's what keeps us from saying "F it" and becoming fans of someone like Bama.

Honestly, I'm way more concerned about the #CelebrityCoach stuff, the lackadaisical attitude, no accountability for the Club, personnel management, piss poor recruiting, awful game plans, etc.

BulldogBear
09-04-2016, 07:01 PM
#6 and #7 under intangibles ALL DAY LONG.

The not losing games we're supposed to win thing has kept me behind Mullen where my only real sullen thoughts were just gripes and complaints. With that gone, he's now just another coach that better get some fire quickly. We expected a 6-6 rebuilding year, not a 2-10 debacle. "We've got to get that fixed" is a favorite quote of Mullen's. Well, now it needs to be responded to with "Yep, that or get lost."

In one day we go from feeling like it's going to be a more or less down (rebuilding) year all the way to a realization that we have actually regressed as a program. I thought we had changed the culture but now I see it's just business as usual to a child that grew up in the 1980s.

Bdawg
09-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Just read it on Twitter WMD. Spot on. Good choice of adjectives

lastmajordog
09-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Right in the first sentence. Just click.

TY...awesome......simply awesome observation......ty WMD!!!!

blacklistedbully
09-04-2016, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=War Machine Dawg;603500]Like I said, I just think people are reading way too much into it. I know I've smiled ironically at stuff before. Why should a coach be any different?[QUOTE]

There are 4-****ing-million reasons a year why it should be different. I run a business that requires me to meet with clients on a regular basis. Though I try to be professional with all of them, you can bet your ass there are a couple in particular where I am extremely cognizant of what I communicate, both verbally and non-verbally.

The fact that they account for as much as 50% of my income has everything to do with it.

archdog
09-04-2016, 07:46 PM
I'd like to hear more as well, because I was VERY impressed with both Gibson & Murphy in the spring game. I know it's a meaningless game, but they both showed all the tools that day. Good burst into the hole, power to run through tackles, ball security. They both even showed good hands out of the backfield. As for D-Lee, I still think he's the best pure runner of the 4 we've seen carry the ball in a real game so far. The question is whether or not he can get his shit together off the field.

If he cannot get the off the field junk handled, we need to drop him. Simple as that. We do not need people taking up scholarships that are not ready to do their role on and off the field.

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Aeris looks like he would be an average type back if he started and got 10 or so carries a game. Gibson, Murphy, and DLee look like 1,000 type rushers. We have talent but apparently our coach is too smart to use it.

Bass Chaser
09-04-2016, 08:15 PM
D Lee has an ankle injury. He's not full speed you could see him limping on kick off returns.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Awesome write-up, but Knox is quickly approaching CC membership status as well. He's got more talent than just about any other position group and he can't get them ready to contribute. I never would've thought MSU would struggle to field a decent SEC running back and be able to run the ball.

Pollodawg
09-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Remembered seeing DWill throw several times to no one at all. It was like he'd never opened the playbook in his four years here.

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm a big billy G fan. I think he's the best coach on the staff.

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 09:12 PM
D Lee has an ankle injury. He's not full speed you could see him limping on kick off returns.

That makes sense. Didn't realise he is dinged up. Hopefully he'll be ready to go full speed against SCar.

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Shameless Sunday night bump.

preachermatt83
09-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Peeps, ACQB is up early this week (http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/09/04/wmds-armchair-qb-cat-scratch-fever-edition/). Check it out. I really got into Hevesy & the Mullen Country Club.

Great peice of writing WMD.

mic
09-05-2016, 08:00 AM
I'm a big billy G fan. I think he's the best coach on the staff.

I thought the Same Up until about Feburary. But he is in the club.. He may not be a full member yet, smoking his cigar with his propped up on his desk.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2016, 09:56 AM
I thought the Same Up until about Feburary. But he is in the club.. He may not be a full member yet, smoking his cigar with his propped up on his desk.

Damn, hate hearing this. Here's a question that maybe deserves another thread to itself: How do we bring pressure to bear on Stricklin so that he'll confront Mullen about the Club in the offseason? And in particular demand that Hev & Sallach either be terminated or moved off the field?

msstate7
09-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Remembered seeing DWill throw several times to no one at all. It was like he'd never opened the playbook in his four years here.

Are we sure the wr didn't run right route?

bluelightstar
09-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Are we sure the wr didn't run right route?

Maybe once, but when it happened about four times in one game with different receivers, I'm betting it's the quarterback.

msstate7
09-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Maybe once, but when it happened about four times in one game with different receivers, I'm betting it's the quarterback.

That's true

RiverCityDawg
09-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Damn, hate hearing this. Here's a question that maybe deserves another thread to itself: How do we bring pressure to bear on Stricklin so that he'll confront Mullen about the Club in the offseason? And in particular demand that Hev & Sallach either be terminated or moved off the field?

You don't. You either let the head coach make assistant coaching decisions or you part ways with him. Once you start dictating the staff it's over. You either believe in the way he's running the program, which includes assistant coaching hires, or you don't. If you don't, you move on. This isn't the only factor for keeping/firing the coach, but it is included in the overall decision making process. Either way, you dictate assistant changes that the HC doesn't want to make and it's over.

Todd4State
09-05-2016, 12:16 PM
You don't. You either let the head coach make assistant coaching decisions or you part ways with him. Once you start dictating the staff it's over. You either believe in the way he's running the program, which includes assistant coaching hires, or you don't. If you don't, you move on. This isn't the only factor for keeping/firing the coach, but it is included in the overall decision making process. Either way, you dictate assistant changes that the HC doesn't want to make and it's over.

I think Dan would resign if he was pressed to fire Hevesy and Sallach.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2016, 12:42 PM
I think Dan would resign if he was pressed to fire Hevesy and Sallach.

Yep, just like Croom did for McCorvey. Although supposedly he was willing to throw McCorvey overboard for Al Borges.

WildDawg
09-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Speaking of "Cat Scratch Fever", can we get rid of that lame Journey song to start the 4th quarter? That ship has sailed. Really enjoy reading your posts and articles.

DITTO THIS!