PDA

View Full Version : #4 in This Week's Misery Index!

bluelightstar
09-04-2016, 04:16 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2016/09/04/misery-index-week-1-usc-lsu-oklahoma-mississippi-state-kentucky/89868396/

Our first appearance in Dan Wolken's Misery Index -- hopefully we don't become a weekly fixture (but somehow, I bet we do!)

"4. Mississippi State: There’s a reason Dan Mullen has been quietly trying to bounce out of Starkville and get a fresh start somewhere, particularly this past offseason. Life in the post-Dak Prescott era is going to be challenging, and when you’ve taken Mississippi State of all schools to No. 1 in the country — as the Bulldogs were for several weeks in 2014 — you’ve probably already hit your ceiling.

For all the remarkable things he’s accomplished— and six consecutive bowl games coming out of the SEC West is mind-blowing at Mississippi State — Mullen has raised expectations to the point where a bad season won’t be well-received by the fan base, which already is edgy over the fact that Ole Miss has become a fixture in the top 15.

Of course, even as bad as some thought it might be, nobody could have envisioned a 21-20 home loss to South Alabama when Westin Graves’ 28-yard field goal attempt to win doinked off the upright. It was a pretty horrendous result on its own — ESPN’s FPI metric said it was the biggest college football upset in five years, for whatever it’s worth — and especially if it portends a 1-7 type season in the SEC. That would quickly erase a lot of the goodwill he’s built and probably make it even more difficult to get an equivalent job somewhere else."

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Even the national media agrees Dan wants out.

Op4isabitch
09-04-2016, 04:19 PM
What Mr Wolken failed to mention is the fact that Mullen isn't as good a coach now as he was when he came here, lost his drive and doesn't want to work for,the money he's making!

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2016, 04:20 PM
It pisses me off time and time again when the media blames Mississippi State and not Mullen.

So Mullen is in no way at fault here and should have left MSU? How about, "Why has Mullen allowed the program to regress since being #1?"

Why is it assumed that you can't win at MSU. I'm so sick of this college football bullshit.

I mean seriously, what's the 17ing point of the sport? Alabama gets the top 25 picks in the college football draft every year and just beats the hell out of everyone. The sport sucks. It's a terrible design that ultimately will fall by the wayside once majority of fan bases figure out they can't win and stop caring.

blacklistedbully
09-04-2016, 04:27 PM
He referenced one of my threads as, "TOTALLY REAL AND AWESOMELY IRRATIONAL". Hey Wolken...perhaps you need to read your own #4 post again.

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2016, 04:28 PM
We are on par with USCe for the most part. We are pretty much in the same situation they were since Spurrier lost his motivation.

RocketDawg
09-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Did you notice that one of our threads made the "Top Five Irrational Posts"?

blacklistedbully
09-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Did you notice that one of our threads made the "Top Five Irrational Posts"?

Already referenced that above. Wolken is the one being irrational. His own post #4 about Dan and what he's done makes the thread appropriate.

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 04:37 PM
We may well go from #1 in the nation to #1 in the misery index in two short years.

JoseBrown
09-04-2016, 04:37 PM
For all of Wolkens mind-blown thoughts of Mississippi State going to 6 straight bowl games, does he not realize there are so damn many bowl games now-a-days that losing records are now being taken? Ole Miss' fixture may be busted tomorrow night in the top 15. What an asshole!!

RocketDawg
09-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Already referenced that above. Wolken is the one being irrational. His own post #4 about Dan and what he's done makes the thread appropriate.

True, but virtually a simul-post.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Ha

RocketDawg
09-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Ha

You must not have refreshed in a while. :)

mic
09-04-2016, 05:42 PM
For all of Wolkens mind-blown thoughts of Mississippi State going to 6 straight bowl games, does he not realize there are so damn many bowl games now-a-days that losing records are now being taken? Ole Miss' fixture may be busted tomorrow night in the top 15. What an asshole!!

The UMiss a fixture in the top 15 is laughable ..
The media and its views on Mississippi state wont ever change one is because our PR department lets our own states media bend us over and rack us over the coals .. Why should the national media Have our back

Dawgology
09-04-2016, 07:21 PM
It pisses me off time and time again when the media blames Mississippi State and not Mullen.

So Mullen is in no way at fault here and should have left MSU? How about, "Why has Mullen allowed the program to regress since being #1?"

Why is it assumed that you can't win at MSU. I'm so sick of this college football bullshit.

I mean seriously, what's the 17ing point of the sport? Alabama gets the top 25 picks in the college football draft every year and just beats the hell out of everyone. The sport sucks. It's a terrible design that ultimately will fall by the wayside once majority of fan bases figure out they can't win and stop caring.

The system has been and will remain rigged. The same dozen or so teams will vie for a championship with another 30 or so getting the other bowls with an occasional sniff at the CFP. The rest of the teams should just shut down their programs.

I don't see it ever changing unless they reduce the number of yearly scholarships to 15 a year.

Bothrops
09-04-2016, 08:29 PM
The National media views MSU the same way they view the State of MS. Dead last.

Whenever Mullen is gone, it will just mean more bad press for MSU. "The worst program in the SEC, he didn't belong there, never should have taken the job, worst facilities, poorest fansbase, worst town, can't recruit there" blah blah..

I can see it now.

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 08:34 PM
What Mr Wolken failed to mention is the fact that Mullen isn't as good a coach now as he was when he came here, lost his drive and doesn't want to work for,the money he's making!

The Dan Mullen of 2009 and 2010 would call this Dan Mullen a p*ssy!

lastmajordog
09-04-2016, 08:48 PM
The UMiss a fixture in the top 15 is laughable ..
The media and its views on Mississippi state wont ever change one is because our PR department lets our own states media bend us over and rack us over the coals .. Why should the national media Have our back

One of the most awesome post ever......we need out own journalism school or redo the PR dept......

blacklistedbully
09-04-2016, 08:51 PM
The Dan Mullen of 2009 and 2010 would call this Dan Mullen a p*ssy!

Great post!

Hail State
09-04-2016, 09:34 PM

It really is incredibly frustrating listening to the same ole BS every year from the media. We've poured countless money into our program and into the city of Starkville and still all we hear about is the same tired ass line "you can't win at Mississippi State, why even try. Mullen better get out of there" That is absolutely asinine. If Mullen were Michigan's coach and he ran out there and laid that big turd on the field it would be such a different story. We have consistently won for six years now, beat three top ten teams in a row (something no other school had ever done), became the only school from Mississippi to become No. 1 in the country in the modern era of football yet we are talked about like we are dog shit. What other sport is like that? We pour countless dollars into our program, facilities, and now the city of Starkville. I shouldn't even have to be talking about the city of Starkville. No other SEC team has to defend their town from the media like we do. You made an excellent point about Alabama getting the top 25 draft picks every year. Seriously, what's the 17in point? No matter what we do or how much money we spend, or how much we win, we'll never get the respect we deserve.

Did you know that since Ole Miss hired Freeze in 2012 that State and Ole Miss's record has been EXACTLY the same? 34-18. They beat Bama two years in a row, we rose to No. 1 in the country by beating three top teams and stayed there for the majority of the 2014 season and also produced probably the best QB in Mississippi history. So I'd give us the edge against them because of the aforementioned reasons. But yet the story lines could not be further apart. All we hear about is how they are trending upwards and how we suck because Starkville is a dump. WTF??? Like you said, why do we even try?? Seriously, the story lines are always the 17in same no matter the facts. What other sport is like that? Seriously, someone tell me.