PDA

View Full Version : A case for Hud

Dawgology
09-04-2016, 01:51 PM
I want to preface this by saying that I know very little about Hudspeth beyond the fact that our offense played pretty well while he was here, that he has passion for football, and he wants to be a head coach at state.

That being said we have an ass load of schollys available this year with more than a few Mississippi athletes looking elsewhere besides state. I think that if we hired him near the end of the season that we would end up signing one of the best classes State has ever signed. He is know as a great recruiter, he's local, and high school coaches/parents/players apparently love him.

I understand his teams have been inconsistent since he left state but would a larger budget, richer talent pool, and the ability to hire good coordinators not help this? I think with the base that Mullen has set that Hud would end up being a home run hire...especially when you take into account what's happening at tSun.

Just some thoughts. I honestly think he could beat the USA's of the world while also giving us a fighting chance against the Bama's. I think he could recruit the hell out of Mississippi also.

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 02:00 PM
After losing to a sucky Sun Belt team I'm open to just about anybody.

HSVDawg
09-04-2016, 02:05 PM
I like Hud OK but he would have to be Plan E or F at best in terms of our options. A Sun Belt coach who has never won his conference, has a losing season last year, and had a major NCAA scandal on his watch shouldn't be anywhere close to the top of our list.

I feel like too many of our fans have OM envy in the sense that they have a guy in Freeze who has won a little bit and they know will never leave for another job, and people see Hud as being our Freeze in that sense. And I think Mullen's constant offseason flirtations have pushed several people even further into that camp. As appealing as that is it should not be anywhere close to the top criteria for picking the next coach. You have to pick the best coach and best fit, period. Not the guy who you don't have to worry about using us a stepping stone. There are much worse fates than a coach having success here and using that to catapult himself to another job. We started seeing that yesterday.

Political Hack
09-04-2016, 02:07 PM
After losing to a sucky Sun Belt team I'm open to just about anybody.

I bet Hud beats them by 20 in 2 weeks.

Dawgowar
09-04-2016, 02:15 PM
I hope, if and when the time comes, Stricken really is OUT of decision making process as some here have asserted. He is morphing more and more into another Templeton.

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Oh, I'm not taking that bet!

Leroy Jenkins
09-04-2016, 02:18 PM
My concern with Hud is he has the same resources as his competition and he cant dominate. If he came here he would have less resources than his competition. To me, for a guy to move up to the SEC, he would need to demonstrate the ability to be head and shoulders above his current, relative, competition. I would rather us sit out of football for a year to find the right guy than hire Hud and realize 3 years later its not going to work.

Then again, maybe he could bring his wife to be S/C coach and we could save some money there.

http://reds.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a558e580970c017d3f021e9f970c-800wi

WinningIsRelentless
09-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Hud would be our Rick ray of football. He wins with transfers from power 5 schools

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2016, 02:27 PM
He also got beat 45-10 at home yesterday.

RocketDawg
09-04-2016, 02:30 PM

That's quite possible, maybe even likely, but they won't have the motivation of playing a big-boy SEC team.

Getting beat by lesser teams happens. App State beat Michigan; Alabama has been bested by La Tech in the past; Florida got beat by Ole Miss the year they were Nat Champs **. I think we were just too comfortable going into the game and it caught up with us. I'm watching the game again now and USA isn't a terrible team.

basedog
09-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Your own, I'll take the 20 points and my VCash verus your 4548, I have confidence now show me yours! LOL

basedog
09-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Hud is damaged goods now, maybe he would be a good OC but HC at Msu, no thank you.

was21
09-04-2016, 02:47 PM
If he's so good why hasn't a top tier team come after him? To my knowledge he hasn't made any lists as being wanted. Besides, don't know how clean he is after all that stuff going on with coaches on his staff. Besides, we have the best coach we've ever had.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Just posted elsewhere but Hud is still toxic. NCAA came sniffing around and he went 4-8. And he knew exactly who Saunders was when he hired him. Even boosters who are sympathetic and Hud supporters don't want him right now.

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Hud's ship at MSU has sailed. No.

I seen it dawg
09-04-2016, 09:37 PM
****ing shit no. He's freezus without the Jesus.

Dawgology
09-05-2016, 10:57 AM
****ing shit no. He's freezus without the Jesus.

That's hilarious!

BrunswickDawg
09-05-2016, 11:05 AM
I'll never get the Hud love at this point. He has done zero to indicate he could win at this level - he's barely won't at his current level and that was apparently augmented by Saunders.

mic
09-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Hud shouldnt even be plan X Y or Z

PassInterference
09-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Hud was interesting at one point. He hasn't performed at ULL. I like Hud, but no.

parabrave
09-05-2016, 11:13 AM
No. Hate to say it but we might have to do what some other big name schools are doing, go to the Saban Tree and get one of his protegees.

lamont
09-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Hud would be a decent coach at State

Hud won't be interviewed or considered. Too many other issues remove him from consideration. Not happening

DownwardDawg
09-05-2016, 11:38 AM
No. Hate to say it but we might have to do what some other big name schools are doing, go to the Saban Tree and get one of his protegees.

Rule #1 for Saban prot?g?es, "Don't take the State job....ever".

Dawg for life
09-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Mullen rill not be fired regardless of what happens this year. If Ole Miss just gets a slap in the wrist from the NCAA all the cheating and buying players were worth it. If that happens we better take a page from their recruiting playbook and get in the game. If we don't we will be left behind. I think Hud would be an OK. Reality check: some of the names being thrown around on this board for our next head coach is wishful thinking. Hud WANTS to be here and he is a good recruiter and he would work his butt off. Hud was about to get the Ole Miss job until a couple of boosters stepped in.

lamont
09-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Hud will never be our HC. Its a waste to even discuss it

Pollodawg
09-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Hud aint happening. Not even sure we want him to. He's made a living being the last chance U of the sunbelt has he not? Not to mention the whole cheating scandal.

Bothrops
09-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Hudspeth needs to improve his stock at ULL and take a bigger job elsewhere, before ever thinking about coming here as hc.

Dawg for life
09-05-2016, 02:11 PM
HUd probably never will be our head coach but lets be honest some of these names being mentioned aint happening either.

gravedigger
09-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Besides, don't know how clean he is after all that stuff going on with coaches on his staff..

I dont want any attention from the ncaa, which hiring him would give us.

No thanks

Political Hack
09-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Your own, I'll take the 20 points and my VCash verus your 4548, I have confidence now show me yours! LOL

Hud by 20 for 987 VCash. Done!

He has experience at UNA, throughout Ms, and ULaLa. That's the 3 states our recruits need to come from and he has great relationships across all 3. He'd dominate I-20 and I-10. He's intense and he wouldn't be looking for the next big gig. If he ever got it, we'd decide when it was over. Not him. If he works out its a HR. If he doesn't, we move on. It's a win-win hire.

Op4isabitch
09-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Guys serious damn question,

Why do we always have the mindset that we can't compete with the the big boys?

Oh we can't hire a good proven coach because we are poor old MSU.....bull sh1t!!!

I swear we are our own worst enemy, we have money, we have facilities and we have other necessary resources, it's our
Beaten down mentality that keeps us in our current position, all you have to do in order to realise this is look at how monsterous everything got for the five weeks we were at number one.

We have the ability here at MSU, we just need to dump the old beaten down mentality.

Liverpooldawg
09-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Y'all need to give this one up. That ship sailed when his program went on probation. He is toxic.

DancingRabbit
09-05-2016, 06:18 PM
LOL, you mean the guy that made Melvin Smith his defensive coordinator?

Really Clark?
09-05-2016, 06:20 PM
LOL, you mean the guy that made Melvin Smith his defensive coordinator?

And fired him one game into the season after just one season as DC

basedog
09-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Hud by 20 for 987 VCash. Done!

He has experience at UNA, throughout Ms, and ULaLa. That's the 3 states our recruits need to come from and he has great relationships across all 3. He'd dominate I-20 and I-10. He's intense and he wouldn't be looking for the next big gig. If he ever got it, we'd decide when it was over. Not him. If he works out its a HR. If he doesn't, we move on. It's a win-win hire.

Maybe at one time but I ain't buying into taking a chance with Hud. I have friends in south La and there talk is he needs to be gone. His D1 HC days over fixn to end. Now taking him as an assistant probably.