PDA

View Full Version : the scoop on Vandy

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Bo Bounds has a good interview with a Vandy guy.

When Vany QB Carta-Samuels got to Vandy, Carta-Samuels thought he was a shoe-in for the starting job. With his work ethic out of place, Rogers beat him for the job. That gave Carta-Samuels a wake up call and he's been working his ass of since. The guy is a different QB this year and has been lighting it up in camp. The staff thinks he is a better QB than Rogers was.

Kimbrow is a stud. Maybe the fastest guy int he SEC. If he can get to the 2nd level, touchdown.

They didn't talk about defense. But Beastman points out (http://3rdand57.com/ole-miss-knowing-the-opponent-vandy/#more-2110) that last year Vandy had the 5th scoring defense in the league and they return all their playmakers.

Hail State. Anchor Down. 36 hours to go.

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I could see Kimbrow having a big game against them.

mic
08-28-2013, 09:41 AM
If Vandy's O-line can control the line of scrimmage and their defense makes them kick fg's like they did last year they will win..

SignalToNoise
08-28-2013, 09:47 AM
If Carta-Samuels got his act together and worked hard all off season then he will show out. He and that freak WR Jordan Matthews will make a dangerous combo.

Pollodawg
08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Weren't we hard after Kimbrow?

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Weren't we hard after Kimbrow?

Yep. I think UT wanted him bad also.

How bad is UT with MSU and Vandy snagging their in-state targets?

TrueMaroon
08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes we were Kimbrow's 2nd team, I believe.

smootness
08-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Yep. I think UT wanted him bad also.

How bad is UT with MSU and Vandy snagging their in-state targets?

They've been pretty bad over the last several years in recruiting; however, Butch Jones looks like he's changing that in a hurry. All programs like that need is a good coach, and they can immediately turn a switch on and start pouring in top recruits again.

Oh...you have to either be an elite program or hire Hugh Freeze as coach in order to instantly see big-time recruiting results.

I mean, seriously, Hugh Freeze...what a joke.

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 10:17 AM
They've been pretty bad over the last several years in recruiting; however, Butch Jones looks like he's changing that in a hurry. All programs like that need is a good coach, and they can immediately turn a switch on and start pouring in top recruits again.

Oh...you have to either be an elite program or hire Hugh Freeze as coach in order to instantly see big-time recruiting results.

I mean, seriously, Hugh Freeze...what a joke.

A first year SEC head coach and his rookie DL coach who has never coached any position anywhere go out and sign a top 10 class including the #1 DE, #1 OT, and #1 WR. Seems legit.

Pretty sure Ole Miss is going to fry. The NCAA is going to show loss of institutional control spanning multiple years under multiple coaches and ADs.

engie
08-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Vandy's "weakness" is the OL. Ole Miss's are the DBs. Makes for an interesting match up to say the least...

Rick Danko
08-28-2013, 10:37 AM
A first year SEC head coach and his rookie DL coach who has never coached any position anywhere go out and sign a top 10 class including the #1 DE, #1 OT, and #1 WR. Seems legit.

Pretty sure Ole Miss is going to fry. The NCAA is going to show loss of institutional control spanning multiple years under multiple coaches and ADs.

No offense, but I will believe it when I see it (eta: God I hope so, I cannot stand listening to the bullshit of "he is a relentless recruiter" or "he wins the family over", blah blah blah blah ****ing blah.)

Pollodawg
08-28-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't know. I think SC has passed UT has one of the big three from the East. JMHO.

smootness
08-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Hey, now...he did coach the DL at Arkansas St. for a year first. LOL on Robert Nkemdiche wanting to be coached by a complete noob.

I'll admit, I can fathom the fact that they were able to get Robert Nkemdiche; we all thought it would never happen, but once I heard his mom go on radio and say she wanted him at Ole Miss, I knew there was a decent chance. And I can fathom the fact that they were able to get Laquon Treadwell, too. They had strong connections to those guys, and they apparently threw everything they had into that boat. But when they pulled guys like Laremy Tunsil (you gotta be kidding me) and Austin Golson, it threw up huge red flags. That just doesn't happen in recruiting at the highest level. When you're a program like Ole Miss, you just don't pull a kid like that who has only briefly mentioned you in the past because of one visit. Heck, that's even tough for the truly elite programs to do. You're telling me Tunsil's visit to Ole Miss was enough to sway him from literally every other school in the country? Yeeeeeeeeah, ok.

smootness
08-28-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't know. I think SC has passed UT has one of the big three from the East. JMHO.

They won't be for long. That's just where they currently sit. Tennessee is already recruiting better right now than South Carolina really ever has, even under Spurrier.

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Hey, now...he did coach the DL at Arkansas St. for a year first. LOL on Robert Nkemdiche wanting to be coached by a complete noob.

I'll admit, I can fathom the fact that they were able to get Robert Nkemdiche; we all thought it would never happen, but once I heard his mom go on radio and say she wanted him at Ole Miss, I knew there was a decent chance. And I can fathom the fact that they were able to get Laquon Treadwell, too. They had strong connections to those guys, and they apparently threw everything they had into that boat. But when they pulled guys like Laremy Tunsil (you gotta be kidding me) and Austin Golson, it threw up huge red flags. That just doesn't happen in recruiting at the highest level. When you're a program like Ole Miss, you just don't pull a kid like that who has only briefly mentioned you in the past because of one visit. Heck, that's even tough for the truly elite programs to do. You're telling me Tunsil's visit to Ole Miss was enough to sway him from literally every other school in the country? Yeeeeeeeeah, ok.

Disagree on RN. A talent like that doesn't go play for an inexperienced coaching staff.

Regardless, Tunsil was right up there with Cam to Auburn. Cam was committed to us. Auburn wasn't even on the radar. Zero. Nada. All the sudden Cecil goes to Auburn. Cam didn't even go. And bam he flips to Auburn.

Tunsil was the same deal (except he did go visit at the last minute)..and bam. Nothing legit about that. This time its not po lil Miss'ippi Tate that got pissed on. This one happened to a school whose president is now running NCAA compliance or some such. Good luck with that, fighting hotty toddies.

There is no coincidence that the NCAA is looking at their recent croots as well as guys recruited 2 years ago. There is a lot of dirt out there on Ole Miss. The NCAA is scooping it up. And being under pressure to look relevant, the NCAA is going to act.

Maroonthirteen
08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Kimbrow was a Devinner kid. Given he was a Devinner kid and the excrement we caught on our last Devinner kid, glad he went elsewhere. Regardless, it isn't that UT is slipping in recruiting. it is that UT doesn't want anything to do with Devinner.

SignalToNoise
08-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Never looked to see if there is any correlation but I assumed UT's recruiting took a hit because of Dooley.

smootness
08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Disagree on RN. A talent like that doesn't go play for an inexperienced coaching staff.

It's still family, and that always means there's a chance, especially given that his mother can't go see all their games, so it really is much easier for her if they're both playing together.

I'm not saying it made the most sense in the world, but 18-year-olds aren't always thinking about the coaching they'll actually get at the next level. I'm just saying it isn't unfathomable that they could land him.

It is with Tunsil.

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Yeah that family connection was such a straight shot that nobody signed Denzel in February. Ole Miss picked him up in the summer.

That family is so tight that RN didn't even live with his dad.

Denzel was a big plus for them, but other things were an even bigger plus.

smootness
08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah that family connection was such a straight shot that nobody signed Denzel in February. Ole Miss picked him up in the summer.

Well, nobody thought Denzel would qualify. But UGA sure did go after him hard late, too.

HancockCountyDog
08-28-2013, 12:09 PM

That family is so tight that RN didn't even live with his dad.

Denzel was a big plus for them, but other things were an even bigger plus.

Make no mistake, without Denzel they do not land Robert. Its not even a discussion.

If you think Freezus signs Robert while Denzel is at another school, you are crazy. Hell I think Freezus played Denzel as much as he did on purpose in order to try and land his brother, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Denzel's playing time become significantly reduced.

Bubb Rubb
08-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Make no mistake, without Denzel they do not land Robert. Its not even a discussion.

If you think Freezus signs Robert while Denzel is at another school, you are crazy. Hell I think Freezus played Denzel as much as he did on purpose in order to try and land his brother, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Denzel's playing time become significantly reduced.

That argument would fly if Denzel wasn't productive. He was one of their better defensive players last year.

HancockCountyDog
08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
That argument would fly if Denzel wasn't productive. He was one of their better defensive players last year.

Production is a byproduct of opportunity. Hell their DT Gross had a monster year as far as production, but that doesn't mean he was talented. He isn't even starting this year based on their depth chart, but since he was given an opportunity he put up stats. You think if Quay had gotten 40 snaps a game, he couldn't have put up monster stats?

Lets just see how much playing time he gets this year now that big bro is on campus.

maroonmania
08-28-2013, 01:00 PM
They won't be for long. That's just where they currently sit. Tennessee is already recruiting better right now than South Carolina really ever has, even under Spurrier.

Interesting point. Spurrier is no spring chicken and won't coach forever. Curious to see where that program goes when he steps down.

maroonmania
08-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Regardless, Tunsil was right up there with Cam to Auburn. Cam was committed to us. Auburn wasn't even on the radar. Zero. Nada. All the sudden Cecil goes to Auburn. Cam didn't even go. And bam he flips to Auburn.

Tunsil was the same deal (except he did go visit at the last minute)..and bam. Nothing legit about that. This time its not po lil Miss'ippi Tate that got pissed on. This one happened to a school whose president is now running NCAA compliance or some such. Good luck with that, fighting hotty toddies.

There is no coincidence that the NCAA is looking at their recent croots as well as guys recruited 2 years ago. There is a lot of dirt out there on Ole Miss. The NCAA is scooping it up. And being under pressure to look relevant, the NCAA is going to act.

Agree with the gist of your story but just wanted to point out that I'm almost positive Cam Newton never actually verbally committed to us. Yes, we all at one time thought he was ours, but he never actually committed.

Johnson85
08-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Production is a byproduct of opportunity. Hell their DT Gross had a monster year as far as production, but that doesn't mean he was talented. He isn't even starting this year based on their depth chart, but since he was given an opportunity he put up stats. You think if Quay had gotten 40 snaps a game, he couldn't have put up monster stats?

Lets just see how much playing time he gets this year now that big bro is on campus.

We had a shit ton of defensive players last year that were given opportunities but didn't put up stats. You really think they had better players than Denzel sitting on the bench?

smootness
08-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Interesting point. Spurrier is no spring chicken and won't coach forever. Curious to see where that program goes when he steps down.

I think what Spurrier has done there is incredibly underrated. Sure, Holtz is the one that brought them back to respectability, but it is so hard to win consistently there, and he's taken them to a whole 'nother level.

I think a really good coach could do things there - they are in the SEC, after all, and have gotten national recognition recently. But they better make a good hire because they could also easily slide right back down again.

C222
08-28-2013, 01:36 PM

It's definitely possible. Check Kaleb Eulls.

engie
08-28-2013, 02:16 PM

Your Gross example isn't a good one. He's had multiple sports hernias -- and as of 2 weeks ago, they were thinking they might have to medical redshirt him for the whole season. Gross is a very good, very underrated DT that if/when he's completely healthy will be starting again...

MemphisDawg
08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
And Denzel isn't a good example either.

I think he may have played more initially to spark Roberts interest. BUT he ended up being pretty damn good. I don't see his production or Playing time dropping off.

sandwolf
08-29-2013, 12:34 AM
......and I wouldn't be surprised to see Denzel's playing time become significantly reduced.

Am I missing something here? The coaches voted this guy as a 1st team All SEC linebacker.....he is a damn good player (or at least he was last year).

Todd4State
08-29-2013, 12:44 AM

Just because you put someone out there doesn't mean that they will be productive. See Cherrington last year.

messageboardsuperhero
08-29-2013, 06:13 AM
Anyone who says D. Nkemdichie isn't a good LB in UM's system is just stupid. Was he put in a lot of blitzing opportunities to make plays in the backfield? Sure, but he did make the plays. Do I think he's 1st team All-SEC good? No, but he is a very disruptive LB. He'll play just as much this year as he did last year.

One thing I do think Freeze and his staff purposely did was put Denzel in a lot of situtations to get publicity so that they might attract Robert's attention. For example, when UM had their behind the scenes ESPNU all-access deal last year, the coaches chose Denzel to be the player in front of the cameras showing ESPN around their facilities. How often does a coach choose a Freshman to do something like that instead of an upper classman? I'd say about as often as said Freshman has a brother who is the consencious no. 1 high school player in America. I'm not saying it wasn't smart on Freeze's part to do stuff like that, but I do think that to an extent, he did it to make UM look more appealing for Robert. That's my opinion anyway.

Bubb Rubb
08-29-2013, 07:55 AM

This might be the dumbest thing ever written on a message board.

Bear@Work
08-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Hell I think Freezus played Denzel as much as he did on purpose in order to try and land his brother, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Denzel's playing time become significantly reduced.

http://www.gifti.me/i/ZdQR2yA8F.gif