PDA

View Full Version : I knew when I saw the angle of the kick Graves had that he might miss it. Why didn't

Saltydog
09-04-2016, 08:54 AM
we center the ball the previous play? Right footed kickers struggle with kicks from the left hash. I haven't seen this discussed but to me it's significant.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm still mad we let USA milk the clock to under 1 min. If we keep 2 mins on the clock, we potentially have time to go for td.

klong-dog
09-04-2016, 08:58 AM
They usually struggle from the right hash. Left hash is more natural for most. 17 sucks

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2016, 08:59 AM
we center the ball the previous play? Right footed kickers struggle with kicks from the left hash. I haven't seen this discussed but to me it's significant.

We tried to center it and Damian was pushed that way.

msstate7
09-04-2016, 09:00 AM
If your kicker can't hit a 28 yarder from the left hash, you need another kicker. That kick was all on graves

HoopsDawg
09-04-2016, 09:17 AM

The previous play was for Damien to center it. He fought for an extra yard and got pushed the the hash.

JoseBrown
09-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Yea that's what happened, and Dan told Jim Ellis the same thing. My problem with that is why is your QB not smart enough to center the damn ball and not fight for another yard? We were plenty close for Graves. Another dumass reason to a long list of things that we did or didn't do to lose to South Alabama.

scottycameron
09-04-2016, 10:39 AM

No dummy, left hash is easy right hash is hard. Have you never played golf, never rolled a putt?

Mullen called the last QB draw to center it. They got piled up in the center and the whole pile got pushed toward the left hash mark, the whistle was pretty late also.

shoeless joe
09-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Y'all are missing a major point. Dan was planning to run one more play. He thought we had another timeout. That's why he called the one he did with 9 seconds left instead of running it down to 2. He had his offense ready to go back out until he asked 2 different officials that he thought we had an extra timeout. Go back and watch it on tv...it's plain as day that that's what happened. At the last second he waves the FG unit out.

scottycameron
09-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Y'all are missing a major point. Dan was planning to run one more play. He thought we had another timeout. That's why he called the one he did with 9 seconds left instead of running it down to 2. He had his offense ready to go back out until he asked 2 different officials that he thought we had an extra timeout. Go back and watch it on tv...it's plain as day that that's what happened. At the last second he waves the FG unit out.

Why does that even matter? They were centering the ball and kicking it anyway. Another QB draw wouldn't have mattered.

NCDawg
09-04-2016, 10:53 AM
No dummy, left hash is easy right hash is hard. Have you never played golf, never rolled a putt?

Mullen called the last QB draw to center it. They got piled up in the center and the whole pile got pushed toward the left hash mark, the whistle was pretty late also.

I'll agree that it is easier to go from right to left for a right footed kicker than it is from left to right. Williams should have taken a knee if he felt he was being pushed to the left. But, all that aside, I never liked playing for the FG to win the game in the first place. Mullen should attempted to score instead of putting the game on Graves' shoulders.

scottycameron
09-04-2016, 11:14 AM
I'll agree that it is easier to go from right to left for a right footed kicker than it is from left to right. Williams should have taken a knee if he felt he was being pushed to the left. But, all that aside, I never liked playing for the FG to win the game in the first place. Mullen should attempted to score instead of putting the game on Graves' shoulders.

He couldn't. You can't turn the ball over and lose when you could have hit a chip shot to win. You set up for the winning kick, making it as easy of a kick as you can.

And remember, he doesn't trust any QBs yet but he does trust his kicker. That makes the FG a no brainier.

The problem was not having a lead with 2 seconds left. The problem was putting the outcome of the game on one kick.
If we make the kick and win it doesn't change what kind of piss poor job the staff and players did. If that ball hits the post and bounces in instead of out it doesn't change anything with me. All of you guys would be happy today but not me. It's the same thing to me.

djaymsu5
09-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Mullen shouldn't be a head coach. He's an idiot. He never learns from his mistakes and he's so damn stubborn he can't just get out of his own way.

Oleo
09-04-2016, 11:18 AM
He couldn't. You can't turn the ball over and lose when you could have hit a chip shot to win. You set up for the winning kick, making it as easy of a kick as you can.

And remember, he doesn't trust any QBs yet but he does trust his kicker. That makes the FG a no brainier.

The problem was not having a lead with 2 seconds left. The problem was putting the outcome of the game on one kick.
If we make the kick and win it doesn't change what kind of piss poor job the staff and players did. If that ball hits the post and bounces in instead of out it doesn't change anything with me. All of you guys would be happy today but not me. It's the same thing to me.

To me, the problem was only scoring 3 pts in the 2nd half and letting South 17 Alabama score 21 !

MarketingBully
09-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Imagine that, when we had to we were able to run/pass at wil on their shitty defense. We did have time to score a TD even with 50 seconds left. We should have scored a TD instead of the field goal. Dan is just a stubborn piece of crap and basically in one fail swoop destroyed the confidence of our team and the kicker at the same time.

Bodaski
09-04-2016, 11:52 AM

I swear to you I said the very same thing out loud to my family.

tcdog70
09-04-2016, 11:54 AM
As I sat in the hot ass stands, I kept wondering why Graves was farting around on the sideline instead of going out and lining up his kick. he was late getting out there and theline was down and waiting on Him. A cluster ****. How do you not know your time out situation.

Bothrops
09-04-2016, 12:24 PM

Noted. But because we are a dumb football team and staff.

maroonmania
09-04-2016, 12:30 PM
We tried to center it and Damian was pushed that way.

Damien made 2 key mistakes. Yes, he went to the middle of the field but instead of just going down immediately he allowed himself to be pushed toward the hash which did make it a slightly tougher kick. The other mistake was on the preceding drive where we were well into FG range and on 3rd and 10 he took a sack to turn a 36 yard FG into a 46 yard FG. For Graves that is a significant difference. In fact when it was 3rd and 10 I was actually hoping we would run it because I felt like we just needed to make it a 2 score game at that time. No, it shouldn't have come down to those things but we have a marginal team this year so it will not take a lot for us to lose to much of anybody. We have question marks all over the field including the most important position which is QB.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-04-2016, 12:31 PM
He was adjusting his God damn pants on the sideline pulling up around his thighs like he was fixing to trot out there and kick the winning FG.. Well that did happen!!

defiantdog
09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
It doesn't matter..... A decent team wouldn't be put in that situation against South Alabama. At least I can save money on bowl tickets this year.