PDA

View Full Version : Here's a perfect example of why we can't consistently compete in football:

sorrydog
09-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Per Sports Illustrated, THIS YEAR, Alabama has two 5* and ten 4* former players playing for OTHER schools.
They've gotten rid of more 4s & 5s than we have on our entire team!

As we know, even the highly rated don't always pan out. Our "miss margin" in recruiting is too slim.
It's a numbers game and we are losing.

100% focus on basketball and baseball may be the answer.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Actually we should ask why we can recruit 4-5 star caliber players for basketball and baseball and not for football?

civildawg
09-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Actually we should ask why we can recruit 4-5 star caliber players for basketball and baseball and not for football?

I go back to this same argument every time someone says how hard it is to recruit here. The other coaches don't make those excuses only Dan

NettletonDawg
09-04-2016, 09:24 AM
I agree - Alabama continues to show (and showed last night) that they simply reload rather than rebuild.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:44 AM
I go back to this same argument every time someone says how hard it is to recruit here. The other coaches don't make those excuses only Dan

And I realize we have a lot of tradition in baseball. But basketball doesn't and Howland consistently lands highly rated players.

shannondawg
09-04-2016, 09:49 AM
We do have a tradition in basketball, just not as highly recognized as baseball.

msbulldog
09-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Basketball is pretty good.

Taog Redloh
09-04-2016, 11:33 AM

Because we don't need nearly as many. And we don't have to use nearly as many resources to get them. This is a stupid argument.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-04-2016, 02:06 PM
All but a small handful of schools will fail the Bama test. This subject has been hashed over many times and the simple fact is that in the SEC football "track meet" our runner tripped and fell somewhere near the mid-point (the 60's) and we are playing catch up. It doesn't help that Bama and several other SEC schools have a Usain Bolt type of runner and our guy is a former high school track star. Which school would you run for?

HSVDawg
09-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Because we don't need nearly as many. And we don't have to use nearly as many resources to get them. This is a stupid argument.

We need just as many as other schools do and the pool for elite talent is just as small. It's not like there is enough 4 and 5 star players to completely fill 50 rosters in basketball but only 10 in football. And at least for basketball, the resources required per player are proportional to football in most cases. And no, I'm not providing any specific examples to back that up but you'll just have to take that at face value. I won't bring up baseball because it is a little bit of a different animal with lottery scholarships and the draft to compete with and what not.

dawg27
09-04-2016, 02:16 PM

We cant recruit in the 30s ever year and think we going to compete.b

Goldendawg
09-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Guys, our 2017 recruiting class is another mathematical illusion if you believe all these stars and "rankings". We are today at #19 with 21 players with an avg ranking of 85.89. There are 6 Power 5 teams behind us with less commits that will pass us unless we finish very strong or sign 30 just to help this "voodoo math", and yes one of them is still UNM even with the NCAA cloud over their head. Check out our remaining targets, very few 4 stars. Our recruiting under Mullen continues to suffer.