PDA

View Full Version : Do we get rid of Mullen in the hopes of getting a Howland hire?

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2016, 08:44 AM
We had the run to #1 and ended up in the Orange Bowl but now it seems it was more to do with Dak being a once in a lifetime QB than Mullen getting the program there. We seemed to have plateaued at 6-8 wins and not even being competitive in big games like Bama.

Do we fire Mullen hoping we get a Howland type hire but we also run the risk of getting Rick Ray?

msstate7
09-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Too early for me. I wanna see how Mullen responds next week vs usce. I'm hopeful this gut punch brings back the younger Mullen

MarketingBully
09-04-2016, 08:50 AM
I agree with msstate7. Let the season play out before desperate measures are deployed.

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 08:52 AM
Too early for me. I wanna see how Mullen responds next week vs usce. I'm hopeful this gut punch brings back the younger Mullen

This. If Boom comes in and out coaches Mullen then it's time to part ways.

RBritt
09-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Amen my brother!

Op4isabitch
09-04-2016, 09:08 AM
I guess you guys are right but I'm mad as hell. This downward spiral is 100% on Mullen, he isn't worth the money we are paying him.

I think we need and deserve a much better return on investment, it's time to part ways after this season.

Seems like I remember reading that the average run for a head coach in division 1 football is about 6 years and Mullen is on his 8th. I appreciate what he's done to help with the program but in all honesty a majority of what we have is due to the ESPN money. I think we would have a lot of it even without Dan.

I really hope we go with a young replacement who has a ton of ambition and fire like Mullen had when he first got here.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:09 AM
Simple. Tell him Hevesy has to be fired. Do that and Dan will probably just quit.

I agree we have to let the season play out and I will add that USC has just become a must win for us.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:12 AM
I guess you guys are right but I'm mad as hell. This downward spiral is 100% on Mullen, he isn't worth the money we are paying him.

I think we need and deserve a much better return on investment, it's time to part ways after this season.

Seems like I remember reading that the average run for a head coach in division 1 football is about 6 years and Mullen is on his 8th. I appreciate what he's done to help with the program but in all honesty a majority of what we have is due to the ESPN money. I think we would have a lot of it even without Dan.

I really hope we go with a young replacement who has a ton of ambition and fire like Mullen had when he first got here.

You are right. We need someone that wants to be here and we need someone that can recruit. Dan's recruiting has real hurt us badly. We need to start landing more of the 4-5 star guys in state and in general.

PassInterference
09-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Before I answer this, there is one factor that needs to be considered.

Schools like Texas, Michigan, and to some extent Florida have struggled to find their guy despite embarrassing riches.

We could do a lot worse than Dan Mullen.

That's not a reason to keep Mullen. It is a reason to take a very measured approach.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 09:26 AM

Schools like Texas, Michigan, and to some extent Florida have struggled to find their guy despite embarrassing riches.

That's not a reason to keep Mullen. It is a reason to take a very measured approach.

We need to stop worrying about making a bad hire. Yes it could happen. We have about as good a chance of hiring our best coach ever as well.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
09-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Let the season play out, but we are staring 3-9 in the face. USC is a must win now. If we go 3-9, we have to get rid of Mullen. Nobody that makes 4 mill should be able to go 3-9 and come back. There are coaches out there could do a good if not better job than Mullen. We just need someone that is relentless on the recruiting trail. From what I saw, our talent was very similar to USA. The "developmental program" line is just an excuse for our lack of recruiting. Our program is a lot more attractive than it was pre-Mullen we've put in $125 million in facilities and are paying 4.3 million a year. We just have to hire an ace recruiter because it is harder to get players to Starkville instead of Athens or Tuscaloosa. Mullen will reap what he sowed by shopping jobs EVERY year and his arrogance. I hope we can get to 6-6 but I saw a 3-9 team on Saturday.

AROB44
09-04-2016, 09:36 AM
We need to stop worrying about making a bad hire. Yes it could happen. We have about as good a chance of hiring our best coach ever as well.

Not if it is Hudspeth....or K. Willingham.

msbulldog
09-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Time for a game plan. If we lose to USCe, fire him Monday. Name Sirmon interim HC, name Baker DC and name our Brian Johnson OC.
I hate firing coaches. The realization that if this season plays out like I think it will after we lose the first 2 to cupcakes has swayed me. Surely if we have a S**T season like this one is shaping up as, CDM will not get an extension, and we don't need to be sitting there with a lame duck coach. If we move quick enough we may be able keep the commitments that we have with the existing personnel still in place. If we move quick enough, maybe a fire can be lit under this years team. Maybe we will turn the defense loose to play aggressive defense, instead of bend don't break. Maybe we can start playing the best players instead of the oldest.
Much as I hate it, it's time now before we lose to much recruiting wise. There is the real possibility that we lose K Thompson, because from what he has said sounds like he is sold on CDM's QB development talent. Maybe we can convince him Brian Johnson can do the same thing.

HailState39110
09-04-2016, 09:47 AM
If we win 2 or less games you have to make a change . That being said lets see how this plays out . Obviously we have a lot of glaring issues with no CBs , an OL that was supposed to be improved but is not , and QBs that are at best serviceable

Pollodawg
09-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Little too early for fire Dan talk, but be dog if it aint getting close. He's this close to losing me, and I've been a Mullen supporter basically ever since he got here.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 09:55 AM

I know what you are saying is in the abstract and agree in theory, but realistically and historically in college football this is not the case. You actually have a small chance of hiring a better coach, if you are talking about firing a coach that is pacing well above your historic average. Much greater chance you regress to the norm and you go through at least one coach (3-5 years) before getting back to the same success the coach you just fired when his record is well above your historic average.

Liverpooldawg
09-04-2016, 10:18 AM

This

Liverpooldawg
09-04-2016, 10:19 AM
I know what you are saying is in the abstract and agree in principle, but realistically and historically in college football this is not the case. You actually have a small chance of hiring a better coach, if you are talking about firing a coach that is pacing well above your historic average. Much greater chance you regress to the norm and you go through at least one coach (3-5 years) before getting back to the same success the coach you just fired when his record is well above your historic average.
And this

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-04-2016, 10:27 AM
I know what you are saying is in the abstract and agree in principle, but realistically and historically in college football this is not the case. You actually have a small chance of hiring a better coach, if you are talking about firing a coach that is pacing well above your historic average. Much greater chance you regress to the norm and you go through at least one coach (3-5 years) before getting back to the same success the coach you just fired when his record is well above your historic average.

But if he's going to start losing OOC games and gets crushed in the SEC, I'm sure we can find someone who wants to be here that perform the same for a lot less than 5 million a year.

lamont
09-04-2016, 10:33 AM
If we go 3-9 and fire Mullen- coaches will want this job. They would understand. If we fired him over 6-6, that would be a different story.

We simply have to see how the season plays out and where we are at the end of November. And decide what would be best for getting us back on track- new blood or a committed Mullen

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 10:36 AM
But if he's going to start losing OOC games and gets crushed in the SEC, I'm sure we can find someone who wants to be here that perform the same for a lot less than 5 million a year.

Sure but that wasn't at all what I responding to. The poster said we would have just a good chance to getting our best coach ever than a coach worse than Mullen. In actuality you have about a 10-15% chance of getting a coach that preforms the same much less a higher clip. Just way way to many examples that the vast majority of the time you are looking at 5-10 year regression. Now, if it's time to fire a coach you pull the trigger. Not saying you don't fire a guy because chances are the next guy sucks. But you have to balance out why you are changing coaches against the overall program. Just a few years ago Frentz went 4-8 at Iowa and the AD didn't even bat an eye even though there was rumblings from the fan base. He has made a nice run the last two years. That's where the AD has to know where we are as a program and if he is the right guy.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2016, 10:36 AM
If we go 3-9 and fire Mullen- coaches will want this job. They would understand. If we fired him over 6-6, that would be a different story.

We simply have to see how the season plays out and where we are at the end of November. And decide what would be best for getting us back on track- new blood or a committed Mullen

The fact that we actually have to worry if our 5 million dollar coach is engaged and wants to be here is absurd

bluelightstar
09-04-2016, 10:38 AM
The fact that we actually have to worry if our 5 million dollar coach is engaged and wants to be here is absurd

You get fired from a job if your lack of engagement shows in your performance. Don't see why coaching should be any different.

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 10:43 AM
You get fired from a job if your lack of engagement shows in your performance. Don't see why coaching should be any different.

If I got caught at work on job sites while my job performance had suffered a serious decline of an extended time period I'd be fired on the spot. Gone.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Completely agree with this. 3 or less wins and a firing does not hurt you at all. 4 or 5 wins is a little tricker because you need another variable, like losing the team or something else that you can sell the other coach that it wasn't just a down year and we are going to fire you as soon as you have a down year as well. 6 wins you will need a fairly significant confict with the AD or scandal to justify a firing and it not have a negative impact on your next hire.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Not if it is Hudspeth....or K. Willingham.

Neither are my first two choices.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Time for a game plan. If we lose to USCe, fire him Monday. Name Sirmon interim HC, name Baker DC and name our Brian Johnson OC.
I hate firing coaches. The realization that if this season plays out like I think it will after we lose the first 2 to cupcakes has swayed me. Surely if we have a S**T season like this one is shaping up as, CDM will not get an extension, and we don't need to be sitting there with a lame duck coach. If we move quick enough we may be able keep the commitments that we have with the existing personnel still in place. If we move quick enough, maybe a fire can be lit under this years team. Maybe we will turn the defense loose to play aggressive defense, instead of bend don't break. Maybe we can start playing the best players instead of the oldest.
Much as I hate it, it's time now before we lose to much recruiting wise. There is the real possibility that we lose K Thompson, because from what he has said sounds like he is sold on CDM's QB development talent. Maybe we can convince him Brian Johnson can do the same thing.

We should ride it out with Dan for the season. We don't want Hevesy to be the interim head coach and then get hot and have to make him or someone else unqualified the head coach.

HSVDawg
09-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Sure but that wasn't at all what I responding to. The poster said we would have just a good chance to getting our best coach ever than a coach worse than Mullen. In actuality you have about a 10-15% chance of getting a coach that preforms the same much less a higher clip. Just way way to many examples that the vast majority of the time you are looking at 5-10 year regression. Now, if it's time to fire a coach you pull the trigger. Not saying you don't fire a guy because chances are the next guy sucks. But you have to balance out why you are changing coaches against the overall program. Just a few years ago Frentz went 4-8 at Iowa and the AD didn't even bat an eye even though there was rumblings from the fan base. He has made a nice run the last two years. That's where the AD has to know where we are as a program and if he is the right guy.

The thing is, Mullen is rapidly changing the criteria for what it would take for a replacement to perform the same. 3-9 or 4-8 this year and we could hire just about anybody that can do that. If that is the result, we have no choice. Coaches don't have 6 or 7 years in a row of 7 to 9 win seasons and then drop off to a 3 or 4 win season and recover back to the previous threshold over the long term. It just doesn't happen. Steep drops like that over a short period are indicative of major issues within a program.

MrKotter
09-04-2016, 10:52 AM
This exact statement has been made every year for the last 3. Dude has lost his fire and gone full puss.

Dawgface
09-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Simple. Tell him Hevesy has to be fired. Do that and Dan will probably just quit.

I agree we have to let the season play out and I will add that USC has just become a must win for us.

If SS feels obligated to keep Mullen one more year, at the very minimum he needs to be told this. It's a win win, he either quits or we get a new OL coach.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 10:57 AM

You are right it's on a case by case basis. And if the coach doesn't care you have to make a change. We may get someone better than Dan. We may not. We may also fall somewhere in between and still get someone successful.

My point is we can't be afraid to make a change. History has shown us what happens if you hold on to a coach too long. And I think that's the case for a lot of schools and why your stats are the way that they are.

Todd4State
09-04-2016, 11:00 AM

I agree that this is the reality of where we are at this point. We have to let the season play out and see if Dan can pull a Jackie 1996. I can live with that. I can't live with 2-10 and him coming back.

ILOATHEBears
09-04-2016, 11:02 AM
This exact statement has been made every year for the last 3. Dude has lost his fire and gone full puss.

I think he is where spurrier was last year. Spurrier had been mailing it in and the wheels came off. He even recently admitted he didn't know how he kept it as long as he did cause he played so much golf. Lose to Boom and the wheels will officially be off the bus rolling down hill on fire

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 11:04 AM
The thing is, Mullen is rapidly changing the criteria for what it would take for a replacement to perform the same. 3-9 or 4-8 this year and we could hire just about anybody that can do that. If that is the result, we have no choice. Coaches don't have 6 or 7 years in a row of 7 to 9 win seasons and then drop off to a 3 or 4 win season and recover back to the previous threshold over the long term. It just doesn't happen. Steep drops like that over a short period are indicative of major issues within a program.

That's not true. It's happened several times. Like I said earlier Frentz did just that a few years ago. 4-8. The threshold is that though. Coaches who go 3 or less wins won't bounce back. But coaches who have had a good run a one off 4 or 5 win year they can and do bounce back but it has to occur quick. Again, you have to see how it all plays out. Not saying he should get a pass if he goes 4-8 but it's not uncommon to have a bounce back and there have been several occasions that the bounce back is very good. Have to see what he does. It's unnerving though

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Absurd to use the last 3 years when 2 of them were well above out norm

Coursesuper
09-04-2016, 11:08 AM
If SS feels obligated to keep Mullen one more year, at the very minimum he needs to be told this. It's a win win, he either quits or we get a new OL coach.

Y'all need to understand something, Stricklin no longer makes those calls. Rick Ray took care of that. These things are now handled above his head.

TrapGame
09-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Y'all need to understand something, Stricklin no longer makes those calls. Rick Ray took care of that. These things are now handled above his head.

If that's the case are they already telling Mullen this is unacceptable and anything less than 6-6 could very well cost him his job?

msbulldog
09-04-2016, 11:20 AM
We should ride it out with Dan for the season. We don't want Hevesy to be the interim head coach and then get hot and have to make him or someone else unqualified the head coach.

Todd, I always respect your opinion. I don't always agree, but you always present a good argument. Should be no way SS should appoint Hev as interim that would be just dumb. My suggestions for promotions make a lot of sense to me, Sirmon is impressive and this would give him his chance, before someone else hires him away as a HC. Bakers qualifications as DC should not be challenged with his resume. Brian Johnson knows the offensive system that we have already in place, better than anybody, except for the other off. position coaches and none of those seem like coordinator material to me.
The point I'm trying to make is we should be pro-active not reactive. If we lose to SC, it ain't looking good. Do we give CDM an extension, after a probable bad season, probably not? Then were left with a lame duck coach, losing current commits, possible future commits and probably more asst. coaches. We need a plan, should already have one, but I doubt it. If we know CDM is going by his choice or ours, Move quickly to minimize damage.

djaymsu5
09-04-2016, 11:22 AM
What can we do to get Tom Herman?? I'm serious. Other than pay up substantially

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Todd, I always respect your opinion. I don't always agree, but you always present a good argument. Should be no way SS should appoint Hev interim, my suggestions for promotions make a lot of sense to me, Sirmon is impressive and this would give him his chance, before someone else hires him away as a HC. Bakers qualifications as Dc should not be challenged with his resume. Brian Johnson knows the offensive system that we are already in better than anybody, except for the other off. position coaches and none of those seem like coordinator material to me.
The point I'm trying to make is we should be pro-active not reactive. If we lose to SC, it ain't looking good. Do we give CDM an extension, after a probable bad season? Then were left with a lame duck coach, losing current commits, possible future commits and probably more asst. coaches. We need a plan, should already have one, but I doubt it. If we know CDM is going by his choice or ours, Move quickly to minimize damage.

You can't fire him after a 9 win season on 2 losses to start the year if we lose next week. You just can't do that and expect to get coaches on your list of possible replacements to listen to you. All they will see is you fired your most successful coach in 70 years after 2 losses in a row. Not happening and would be a stupid move

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 11:26 AM

Nothing. He will wait for Texas or another like program to come calling. Unless you want it go around $8-10 MIL and this offseason is pretty lack luster in job availability.

djaymsu5
09-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Nothing. He will wait for Texas or another like program to come calling. Unless you want it go around $8-10 MIL and this offseason is pretty lack luster in job availability.

Man that sucks. I really want us to go after this guy. He has Houston on another level right now. I know Houston has money and more resources than us but he's shown he can coach.

IMissJack
09-04-2016, 11:46 AM

Well said.

ScottH
09-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Zero unfortunately - Herman will pick his job and name his pay.

Bass Chaser
09-04-2016, 12:06 PM
What incentive would Herman have to leave UH? If he gets them in the playoff there's none. I remember him being quoted as saying he believes they have as good a path as any to get there.

Dawgfan77
09-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Todd, I always respect your opinion. I don't always agree, but you always present a good argument. Should be no way SS should appoint Hev as interim that would be just dumb. My suggestions for promotions make a lot of sense to me, Sirmon is impressive and this would give him his chance, before someone else hires him away as a HC. Bakers qualifications as DC should not be challenged with his resume. Brian Johnson knows the offensive system that we have already in place, better than anybody, except for the other off. position coaches and none of those seem like coordinator material to me.
The point I'm trying to make is we should be pro-active not reactive. If we lose to SC, it ain't looking good. Do we give CDM an extension, after a probable bad season, probably not? Then were left with a lame duck coach, losing current commits, possible future commits and probably more asst. coaches. We need a plan, should already have one, but I doubt it. If we know CDM is going by his choice or ours, Move quickly to minimize damage.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying. You want to promote the DC who just lost to south Alabama to interim HC??? Did I understand you? Wow I am speechless.... he maybe a hc one day but he has A LOT to prove. Another thing do you want to hire a hc whose family won't even live in starkville??

ScottH
09-04-2016, 12:16 PM
No idea who Adidas has on speed dial other than Pellini.

My first 5 calls to guys with jobs in no order:
Harsin - Mama called him home but she pays only 1MM.
Fleck - Isn't he really waiting for a Big10 job. Zero experience in the south.
Brohm - When Mama calls she can write the check and he'd probably go.
Collins - He is going to get a Head Coaching job, he already knows what Starkville is all about and he saw the #1 run.
Monken - Does he like pro or college better. Good lord he fixed the scorched earth in Hattiesburg.

Dawgfan77
09-04-2016, 12:17 PM

Take Herman off your dream list. He is not leaving UH esp not for MSU. UH is going to big 12 most likely us he makes 3mil and lives in Houston

gtowndawg
09-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Completely agree with this. 3 or less wins and a firing does not hurt you at all. 4 or 5 wins is a little tricker because you need another variable, like losing the team or something else that you can sell the other coach that it wasn't just a down year and we are going to fire you as soon as you have a down year as well. 6 wins you will need a fairly significant confict with the AD or scandal to justify a firing and it not have a negative impact on your next hire.

The "other" variable would be losing to Ole Miss three times in a row. That will be the official reason for his firing. All the other stuff will be static.

Dawgfan77
09-04-2016, 12:22 PM
No idea who Adidas has on speed dial other than Pellini.

My first 5 calls to guys with jobs in no order:
Harsin - Mama called him home but she pays only 1MM.
Fleck - Isn't he really waiting for a Big10 job. Zero experience in the south.
Brohm - When Mama calls she can write the check and he'd probably go.
Collins - He is going to get a Head Coaching job, he already knows what Starkville is all about and he saw the #1 run.
Monken - Does he like pro or college better. Good lord he fixed the scorched earth in Hattiesburg.

I like the idea of an offensive minded coaches. We will be competitive on D simply due to our footprint and availability of players.

Dawgfan77
09-04-2016, 12:24 PM
The "other" variable would be losing to Ole Miss three times in a row. That will be the official reason for his firing. All the other stuff will be static.

No coach on either side had lost three in a row and kept his job... 5 wins or less including a loss in the egg and it will be time to cut the cord.
He doesn't have loyal to us why should we to him

Commercecomet24
09-04-2016, 12:28 PM

This is the point I'm at. I've always supported Mullen and I hope he gets this turned around starting now but what happened yesterday is unacceptable. We had a 17-0 lead at half similar to what we had a couple years ago against them and came out and played a totally uninspired second half. That cannot happen. Let's see how it plays out.

Turfdawg67
09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Little too early for fire Dan talk, but be dog if it aint getting close. He's this close to losing me, and I've been a Mullen supporter basically ever since he got here.

This pretty much sums me up as well. Where's the heart, the fire, the intensity? Where's the coach that took jabs at our rival and then backed it up even with "less talented" players ('11 Egg Bowl)? I want that coach back...

msbulldog
09-04-2016, 12:36 PM
You can't fire him after a 9 win season on 2 losses to start the year if we lose next week. You just can't do that and expect to get coaches on your list of possible replacements to listen to you. All they will see is you fired your most successful coach in 70 years after 2 losses in a row. Not happening and would be a stupid move

Not just 2 losses in a row, losses to a BCS team that is pitiful, and the worst team in the SEC. 2014 as #1 team in the nation we choke in the last 3 games, because we went conservative, playing not to lose. 2015 lost to Mississippi and a chance at the Sugar Bowl in Starkville with Dan grinning at the end of the game!
But that's not the point, that I'm trying to point out is if we come out with a 2, 3, or 4 win season and lose a lot of a current recruits and possible future recruits, how attractive are we then?
Dan is not going to change, he has his ways, which all of us on this board as layman coaches recognize as deficiencies.
What I'm trying to point out with a change maybe we can salvage this season.
I have been all in on Dan, before yesterday. The shorts I don't mind it was hot, I'd have been wearing shorts and a T-shirt.
The big grin yesterday and the big grin after last years Mississippi loss just does not sit right,s
After last years lack of an extension, he probably figures his time is limited and he is giving a half a$$ effort.
The point is let's be pro-active, plan, respond and act,
We could turn this season around now with the coaches we have in place. We shouldn't wait and let any advantages we have slip away.
Thanks for your response, Really Clark, I always respect your opinion!

I seen it dawg
09-04-2016, 12:37 PM
None of this thread matters for one reason...our ball-less ad won't do anything to upset the apple cart. He's a cheerleader and more worried about pop up tents on a concourse and honoring the rodeo chess club at the end of the first quarter than making sure his football coach is all in and focused.

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Yeah. Less than 6 wins and another loss in the Egg Bowl could very well do it. And you have an easier sell to a coaching candidate.

Op4isabitch
09-04-2016, 01:42 PM
What do you guys think of a Larry Fedora (HC) and Gene Chizic (DC) combo hire?
I'm sure we can pay less than we are currently paying and I think they would be pretty damn good here at MSU.

Good recruiters. Fedora is a good Coach and Chizic is a hell of DC.

Dawgfan77
09-04-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm sure we can pay less than we are currently paying and I think they would be pretty damn good here at MSU.

My first choice would be Brohm from WKU. 2nd would be Fleck at WMU, HUD would be third

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't know why Hud keeps being brought up. He is still too toxic and knew exactly who and what he was hiring in Saunders. We have been talking about him and shady deals during the Croom years. Well know commodity. And once the NCAA started to sniff around ULL he goes 4-8. You guys are talking about firing a guy for only winning 4-5 games this year for a guy who only 4 last year. If he rights the ship at ULL for 2-3 straight years we could look at him again. But he will not be in the discussion if it's this year. And the major boosters agree.

ETA. Brohm was on my short list last year. Like to see what Montgomery does this year but he is interesting as well.

HSVDawg
09-04-2016, 03:11 PM
That's not true. It's happened several times. Like I said earlier Frentz did just that a few years ago. 4-8. The threshold is that though. Coaches who go 3 or less wins won't bounce back. But coaches who have had a good run a one off 4 or 5 win year they can and do bounce back but it has to occur quick. Again, you have to see how it all plays out. Not saying he should get a pass if he goes 4-8 but it's not uncommon to have a bounce back and there have been several occasions that the bounce back is very good. Have to see what he does. It's unnerving though

Ferentz was a much different case than Mullen. Prior to his 4-8 year, he had two 10 win seasons and two 11 win seasons along with two Orange Bowl appearances when the Orange Bowl meant a lot more than it does now. He had built up a lot more goidwill than Mullen has up to this point. And guess what, Ferentz has since been to the Rose Bowl as well after appearing in his conference championship game (so that's a 12 win season, two 11 win seasons, two 10 win seaosons, and three BCS / NY6 bowls, and he still makes LESS than Mullen does right now). If Mullen had that resume, I'm sure everyone would be on board with giving him one more chance after 4-8. But one good run in 2014 where we won 10 games but still only beat one team that finished in the top 25 doesn't nearly cut it.

Turfdawg67
09-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Why would they leave?? Are coaches clamoring to come to State? Hell, our wonderful DC hasn't moved his kids here!! And besides, that awesome combo just got beat by UGA, the best of the worst East teams... you think they'd want to play the West schedule?!?

Really Clark?
09-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Ferentz was a much different case than Mullen. Prior to his 4-8 year, he had two 10 win seasons and two 11 win seasons along with two Orange Bowl appearances when the Orange Bowl meant a lot more than it does now. He had built up a lot more goidwill than Mullen has up to this point. And guess what, Ferentz has since been to the Rose Bowl as well after appearing in his conference championship game (so that's a 12 win season, two 11 win seasons, two 10 win seaosons, and three BCS / NY6 bowls, and he still makes LESS than Mullen does right now). If Mullen had that resume, I'm sure everyone would be on board with giving him one more chance after 4-8. But one good run in 2014 where we won 10 games but still only beat one team that finished in the top 25 doesn't nearly cut it.

Just used him as a recent example. But if you want to get technical with him. Years 7,8,9 he went 7-5, 6-7, 6-6. With the majority of the board he should have been fired at that point because he had hit his ceiling. There are others you can use. Mike Leach at Washington St has gone 3-9, 6-7, 3-9, 9-4, Pinkle had multiple losing seasons at MO but other than his first I think they were 5-7 type of seasons, Mike Price at Washington State had some 3 win seasons with significant bounce backs in fact had 3, 3, and 4 wins in back to back to back years before reeling off back to back 10 win seasons. Rich Brooks at Oregon. Bellotti even had a 5 win season in the middle of his Oregon run. Mike Riley bounced back from a 3 win season at Oregon State.