PDA

View Full Version : Just received solid intel on Chris Jones

Bo Darville
08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Just talked to an impecabble source about the Chris Jones DT discussion. We did not discuss the potential Quay Evans / Nick James issues (and this guy would know) because he probably would not tell me anything. Even if he did, I would never repeat it on a message board because the quickest way to be kept from private info in the future is to repeat it on a message board. He said that they are trying ways to get Chris Jones on the field in situations where he can help. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize that the defensive line on 3rd and 1 may be different than the defensive line on 3rd and 10. Therefore, don't read to much into all of this. It is about getting good players on the field in a position where they can make big plays.

He said that Chris is a monster talent. He needs to work on his variety of pass rush moves to be the defensive end we want him to be in the future. In high school he was able to get by on size/talent/strength. He also said that Jones loves to explode under the offensive tackle and drive him back with a bullrush when he gets him stood up. They are having to work hard with him to avoid the "hands to the face" penalty where he gets up underneath a tackle's facemask and pushes his helmet and head back (this has been a problem through camp). He is definitely a work in progress, but all the pieces are there. Pure combination of talent/size/strength/speed like we have not seen at MSU on the line.

FlabLoser
08-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Facemask..lol ESPNU has us on All Access last night. There was a part in practice where Mullen blows the whistles and says "personal foul, Nick James, facemask".

engie
08-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Jones has come SO far in technique over the past year that it would be foolish for us to try to define when/where he "gets it" based on normal standards. He's picking it up alot faster than most...

col. forbin
08-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I figured I would lump this question in on this post. Does anyone know who Chris Jones was going one-on-one with right before the commercial break on All Access last night? I love to see the intesity that he had. He kept it going after the whistle because he wasnt backing down. And man did it seem to get the whole team fire up.

BeastMan
08-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I really like Jones as a 3rd down pass rushing DT. Just tell him to go get the QB

smootness
08-28-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure on that one, though I think he went up against Nelson Adams earlier.

I did notice that Shumpert stood out going up against Beniquez Brown. He's going to be a monster.

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I thought it might be Nick James he was going against, but couldn't tell for sure. I'd like to know too.

mic
08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
I really like Jones as a 3rd down pass rushing DT. Just tell him to go get the QB

Agree use him just like the Ole Coach used Clowney as a Frosh..

col. forbin
08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
I thought it might be Nick James he was going against, but couldn't tell for sure. I'd like to know too.

I just know the guy he was going against was wearing maroon. So i would guess it was an OL.

regdawg18
08-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Chris Jones intercepted a Russel pass at the line of scrimmage in practice. Playing at DT lets him bat down passes and gets him closer to the QB. Shorter distance from A to B. It might be good strtegy for this game. Why do the same thing for every opponent when every opponent is different?

msstate7
08-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Chris Jones intercepted a Russel pass at the line of scrimmage in practice. Playing at DT lets him bat down passes and gets him closer to the QB. Shorter distance from A to B. It might be good strtegy for this game. Why do the same thing for every opponent when every opponent is different?

Yep. Oklahoma st likes to get rid of ball quickly so if you can't get to qb put a long guy like jones to get his hands up. Lot harder to pass over 6'7" than 6'2". I really don't care where they line him up. I feel our defensive coaches are competent and I didnt feel this way last season.

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 11:05 AM

I don't long for Joe Lee Dunn's defense, but I long for the days when a DL would jump a snap, shoot the gap, and get to the QB before he can even hand the ball off.

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Yep. Oklahoma st likes to get rid of ball quickly so if you can't get to qb put a long guy like jones to get his hands up. Lot harder to pass over 6'7" than 6'2". I really don't care where they line him up. I feel our defensive coaches are competent and I didnt feel this way last season.

That quick stuff is about rhythm and timing. Some quick pressure like Jones could apply from DT could upset that.

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 11:30 AM
We need JJ Watts for this game.

Dawg61
08-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Sounds like we already have him

Original48
08-28-2013, 12:06 PM
With these hurry up offenses I'm guessing he's gonna have to already be in the game to do that.