PDA

View Full Version : Dan mullen's job

preachermatt83
09-03-2016, 09:39 PM
As bad as it pains me to say it he could go 2-10 this year and still not lose his job.

civildawg
09-03-2016, 09:41 PM
I don't know... Seems like the cigar boys already don't like him but who knows

MarketingBully
09-03-2016, 09:42 PM
2-10 should get him fired. 2-10 is unacceptable.

lamont
ALOT would have to happen for Mullen to not be our coach next season. And nobody is going to hire him away

HoopsDawg
As bad as it pains me to say it he could go 2-10 this year and still not lose his job.

No, he's not going anywhere. All we can do is NOT extend his contract and hope he can sign a good recruiting class.

Liverpooldawg
09-03-2016, 09:44 PM
I think you are wrong. 2-10 and he is gone, for better or worse. My guess is it would be for the worse. Think Rick Ray.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2016, 09:45 PM
I think this game guaranteed there is no contact extension, unless he pulls a UNM and beats bama after losing to Memphis.

Bucky Dog
09-03-2016, 09:49 PM
I was going to start another thread about all these people wanting Mullen fired. It's ridiculous to even think he will be fired, or that we should want him fired. Yes that loss today is on him and him alone for not having the team ready but seriously people?! He is our win ingest coach and taken is to 6 straight bowl games and won 19 games over the past 2 years.

I agree that short of going 0-12, Dan is NOT going anywhere so I suggest we don't be our own worst enemy and make things worse by starting these stupid ass next head coach threads!! Dan deserves to have a screw up without everyone crucifying him. You have to think that many of the teams on our schedule are less than spectacular so we still have a chance for the 6-7 wins IF Dan puts Fitz or Tiano at QB and lights a fire under the team. I will be there next Saturday, just like I was there this morning!!

Goldendawg
09-03-2016, 09:55 PM
I watched us beat La Tech and told my late Superdog Father that we would lose the next 10. My 15 year old son and I sat in the stadium the entire game today and I told him I see UMass/Samford and 10. This board was right to be worried about Ol, QB, and DB's. I also saw walk-ons playing significant snaps on D and an offense that can't run from the RB position against a team that had lost every DL starter to injury before this game. The cupboard looks bare at a lot of positions.

Engine
09-03-2016, 09:57 PM
5-7 is automatic expulsion FOR HIM given his history and attitude.

confucius say
09-03-2016, 09:58 PM
I was going to start another thread about all these people wanting Mullen fired. It's ridiculous to even think he will be fired, or that we should want him fired. Yes that loss today is on him and him alone for not having the team ready but seriously people?! He is our win ingest coach and taken is to 6 straight bowl games and won 19 games over the past 2 years.

I agree that short of going 0-12, Dan is NOT going anywhere so I suggest we don't be our own worst enemy and make things worse by starting these stupid ass next head coach threads!! Dan deserves to have a screw up without everyone crucifying him. You have to think that many of the teams on our schedule are less than spectacular so we still have a chance for the 6-7 wins IF Dan puts Fitz or Tiano at QB and lights a fire under the team. I will be there next Saturday, just like I was there this morning!!

Good perspective. Dan is infuriating at times, but let's let the season play out before we call for his firing.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2016, 10:01 PM

Sure people fvck-up sometimes, but the reaction is important, be angry..., be humbled.., hell, be anything other than a douche-nozzle. People hate Dan's "Im too cool to give a sh*t" attitude. When the team gets embarrassed the HC shouldn't be smiling on the sideline and making cute remarks about "50% of teams losing every week." Cant even imagine any other SEC coach pulling that sh*t.

HoopsDawg
09-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Good perspective. Dan is infuriating at times, but let's let the season play out before we call for his firing.

We can't fire Dan, but I don't know if people realize how bad this USA team is. This USA team would be 20 point dogs to the USA team we beat by 35 in 2014.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 10:05 PM
ALOT would have to happen for Mullen to not be our coach next season. And nobody is going to hire him away

If true that is why our program has the history it does.

TrapGame
09-03-2016, 10:06 PM

The man who has no fire will light a fire under the team. This team has no fire because their head coach has no fire.

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Sure people fvck-up sometimes, but the reaction is important, be angry..., be humbled.., hell, be anything other than a douche-nozzle. People hate Dan's "Im too cool to give a sh*t" attitude. When the team gets embarrassed the HC shouldn't be smiling on the sideline and making cute remarks about "50% of teams losing every week." Cant even imagine any other SEC coach pulling that sh*t.

Not any coach who wanted to have a job on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Hell, maybe Mullen is trying to get fired to get his buyout money. He clearly doesn't want to be here anymore.

I still say the smile thing is overblown and too nitpicky.

Goldendawg
09-03-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm not a let's fire Mullen asap guy and my opinion wouldn't be asked for anyway. He helped raise the bar and I'm glad he has. My son just said, "Dad remember how we were #1 in the nation for about 4 weeks just two years ago? It sure seems a long time ago now." We didn't or couldn't build on that year and sure shouldn't have fallen to what he and I witnessed in person today.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm not a let's fire Mullen asap guy and my opinion wouldn't be asked for anyway. He helped raise the bar and I'm glad he has. My son just said, "Dad remember how we were #1 in the nation for about 4 weeks just two years ago? It sure seems a long time ago now." We didn't or couldn't build on that year and sure shouldn't have fallen to what he and I witnessed in person today.

That's what I don't understand.

How in the hell was this staff unable to build off that year? If anything the program has regressed since then.

It makes absolutely no sense

PassInterference
09-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Boosters are against him and it shows. His defensive staff hates him and always bails after 1-2 years.

It's time.

Won't be cheap, but running a program into the ground is as bad or worse.

Paying a guy to not coach isn't unprecedented.

PassInterference
09-03-2016, 10:12 PM

How in the hell was this staff unable to build off that year? If anything the program has regressed since then.

Have you not paid attention to recruiting?

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Have you not paid attention to recruiting?

Oh I have. It's just amazing the regression since that time.

It's like the staff just completely gave up & was satisfied right then & there.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2016, 10:16 PM

We didn't capitalize on that success and build going forward because he was shopping himself around the country. He got that COTY award and thought it was his golden ticket.

HancockCountyDog
09-03-2016, 10:18 PM
We can't fire Dan, but I don't know if people realize how bad this USA team is. This USA team would be 20 point dogs to the USA team we beat by 35 in 2014.

This is why I'm so pissed, this isn't a solid MAC team, this isn't a good Sun Belt team, this is a team that most likely won't be going to a bowl and probably won't have a winning record in the Sun Belt.

Liverpooldawg
09-03-2016, 10:18 PM

It takes more than six weeks. It has to be done over time, unless you cheat your ass off. That stretch, as much fun as it was, was no more indicative of where the program is than today was. You don't get to a place and stay there for a while immediately unless you have been there before. The only one that has done it in my lifetime really is Miami.....and it looks like they cheated their ass off. The overall trend since Mullen got here has been positive. If this continues then yeah we have a problem (and if you look at my game review you will see my thoughts on that), but some of this stuff is emotional BS that is way too pre-mature.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 10:21 PM
It takes more than six weeks. It has to be done over time, unless you cheat your ass off. That stretch, as much fun as it was, was no more indicative of where the program is than today was. You don't get to a place and stay there for a while immediately unless you have been there before. The only one that has done it in my lifetime really is Miami.....and it looks like they cheated their ass off. The overall trend since Mullen got here has been positive. If this continues then yeah we have a problem (and if you look at my game review you will see my thoughts on that), but some of this stuff is emotional BS that is way too pre-mature.

They're bad recruiters. Hevesey barely calls his recruits.

cheewgumm
09-03-2016, 10:23 PM
You can't be a bad recruiter and win in the SEC. Recruiting is EVERYThING in the SEC, and we don't seem to care enough about it.

Everyone says it every year but then you get these "Dan turns 2 stars into NFL talent " posts and everyone forgets about it.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 10:26 PM

They do not place enough emphasis on recruiting. Their attitude has always been come here and we're going to make you work hard, make you earn your spot, and if you don't want to come here then **** you.

Turfdawg67
09-03-2016, 10:27 PM
Not any coach who wanted to have a job on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Hell, maybe Mullen is trying to get fired to get his buyout money. He clearly doesn't want to be here anymore.

I still say the smile thing is overblown and too nitpicky.

Exactly! The smile is just a defense mechanism. Hell, I smiled too... but believe me, I wasn't happy! On the inside, he probably was thinking "Holy shit, we just lost to South Alabama!"

BoomBoom
09-03-2016, 10:27 PM
I think you are wrong. 2-10 and he is gone, for better or worse. My guess is it would be for the worse. Think Rick Ray.

Firing a coach that went 2-10 would make things WORSE! Put down the alcohol/bong/whatever it is that is making you stupid.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 10:28 PM
You can't be a bad recruiter and win in the SEC. Recruiting is EVERYThING in the SEC, and we don't seem to care enough about it.

Everyone says it every year but then you get these "Dan turns 2 stars into NFL talent " posts and everyone forgets about it.

Exactly. We do good finding and getting the McKinney's but we have start landing more of the Cam Akers.

Bucky Dog
09-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Guys, please pump the brakes. We knew it would be an iffy season with most people saying 6-7 wins. Yeah we SHOULD have capitalized on the great seasons in recruiting but all I keep hearing is 2017 will be a great year on the field. We have a new QB, who hasn't stepped up yet, following a legend and we need one of them to grow up fast. We had NO leader on the field today, Dak has been that for nearly 3 years.

Yes we are spoiled, and we should be a little, but again, put down the booze and the iPad and be there next Saturday. The sooner everyone realizes Mullen will get a do over and that you are wasting your time, AND possibly hurting our recruiting for next year, the better!!!

lamont
09-03-2016, 10:32 PM
We didn't capitalize on that success and build going forward because he was shopping himself around the country. He got that COTY award and thought it was his golden ticket.

THIS is the correct answer

Goldendawg
09-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Guys, our 2017 Class (24/7) will probably not finish in the top 25 as about 7 well known teams will soon pass us with fewer commits. And yes, one will be UNM unless they get hammered b4 Feb, 2017. We don't even have 85 on scholarship this year. Our recruiting mess has caught us with us. We had former walk-ons getting major # of snaps today, even at LB. This board was right about our issues at OL, QB, and DB. Virtually no receptions down field by WR's also. I've been going 52 years and don't see much talent at several positions compared to other SEC West teams. We can't even depend on 4 OOC cupcakes, and the teams we are supposed to beat this year to get bowl eligible this year although Ky has choked against USM. We are very weak this year I'm afraid.

civildawg
09-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Guys, please pump the brakes. We knew it would be an iffy season with most people saying 6-7 wins. Yeah we SHOULD have capitalized on the great seasons in recruiting but all I keep hearing is 2017 will be a great year on the field. We have a new QB, who hasn't stepped up yet, following a legend and we need one of them to grow up fast. We had NO leader on the field today, Dak has been that for nearly 3 years.

Yes we are spoiled, and we should be a little, but again, put down the booze and the iPad and be there next Saturday. The sooner everyone realizes Mullen will get a do over and that you are wasting your time, AND possibly hurting our recruiting for next year, the better!!!

Good lord it amazes me that our fan base is so content with loses. I don't think I've seen anything like it. "Oh it's ok we lost to a terrible south Alabama team. We will get them back next year!!11!1"

TrapGame
09-03-2016, 10:41 PM

Bucky, we lost to a mediocre Sun Belt team playing a second team DL and a QB taking his first college snaps. We didn't lose to a bad SEC team we lost to a bad Sun Belt team.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 10:42 PM

USA had a new QB also only he didn't have SEC talent around him. I guess our QB didn't have SEC talent either.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Good lord it amazes me that our fan base is so content with loses. I don't think I've seen anything like it. "Oh it's ok we lost to a terrible south Alabama team. We will get them back next year!!11!1"

I know. Like 2-10 is good for recruiting. And like other teams aren't going to say "they're about to fire his ass".

ScottH
09-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Sure people fvck-up sometimes, but the reaction is important, be angry..., be humbled.., hell, be anything other than a douche-nozzle. People hate Dan's "Im too cool to give a sh*t" attitude. When the team gets embarrassed the HC shouldn't be smiling on the sideline and making cute remarks about "50% of teams losing every week."

This is it. ^^^

My wife, of all people, put it another way. She'd hate to be in the Cohen house after a loss. In the Mullen house, you may not know there was game that day. I can't really argue that point.

Really, I'd like to think the coach is as upset as I am by a loss. He doesn't have to be. Just make me think it.

TrapGame
09-03-2016, 10:54 PM
I know. Like 2-10 is good for recruiting. And like other teams aren't going to say "they're about to fire his ass".

Sweet Baby Shiva, if Mullen actually goes 2-10 this season he needs to be fired. His first year with Croom's guys he won 5 for crying out loud. Seven years later with a roster full of his players and he only wins two games? That's completely unacceptable.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Sweet Baby Shiva, if Mullen actually goes 2-10 this season he needs to be fired. His first year with Croom's guys he won 5 for crying out loud. Seven years later with a roster full of his players and he only wins two games? That's completely unacceptable.

We also had the #1 strength of schedule that year with 5 wins.

lamont
09-03-2016, 11:12 PM

It takes more than 6 weeks? How about 8 years?

Bucky Dog
09-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Bucky, we lost to a mediocre Sun Belt team playing a second team DL and a QB taking his first college snaps. We didn't lose to a bad SEC team we lost to a bad Sun Belt team.

Did I say I'm content with the loss?! Hell no, I'm freaking pissed, angry and embarrassed. I know who we lost to and other teams lose to teams they are big favorites over too. I'm just looking at the big picture, and yes we should have NEVER LOST to USA. Arky should have lost to LT and were favored by 22. Florida struggled with UMass until the very end. I'm not trying to justify, and all of the things that are said such as our recruiting needs to pick up and the OLINE will never be great with Hev, I agree with. We DO NOT have Rick Ray, and ******* personality is what it is, and some are not going to like it.

I still would take Mullen and where our program has been the past few years against most teams in the SEC right now other than a select few.

Goldendawg
09-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Our recruiting is indeed a mess. We don't even have 85 on scholarship. I saw two former walk ons getting a lot of snaps at LB today, one of the few positions we are supposed to be strong at. We better be careful about how many JC guys we take also. I lived through the wheels falling off at the end of Jackie's tenure. Nothing like HS recruits not wanting to sign because they feel they work hard for a couple of years only to see a JC guy start at once. However, we see the opposite it seems as it took the #1 JC tackle in the country two years to finally see the field today as a member of our great OL.

Corn Bread
09-03-2016, 11:25 PM

Dan had a shit eating grin after the miss game winner, same in post game. Dan is still making insane money off hard working MSU peps backs. I am wearing my MState garb for the players.

NettletonDawg
09-03-2016, 11:31 PM
This day and this thread are too depressing.......getting a cocktail and goiing to sleep

HSVDawg
09-03-2016, 11:35 PM

I call BS. Name another team in our division that would put up with 3 or 4 wins in year 8. None would. You say a lot has to happen for us to fire him but a lot also has to happen for us to not fire him. He either has to win 6 or win the Egg Bowl, both of which are extreme longshots at this point. Emotions are ruling the day today and I realize his future won't be made or broken off what happened today, but if we are sitting at 3-9 at the end of the year after our 3rd straight asskicking at the hands of Ole Miss, I guarantee you he will be gone. There is literally no chance of him surviving that.

GTHOM
09-03-2016, 11:47 PM
5-7 is automatic expulsion FOR HIM given his history and attitude.

This guy gets it

BayouDawg
09-04-2016, 12:04 AM
All someone needs to do is buy him a motorcycle and get him a hot secretary and it will take care of itself

BrunswickDawg
09-04-2016, 08:11 AM
I think yesterday may have done it in for me on the Mullen era. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year - OL was weak from us being passing first, that he really didn't flirt with every team that called to talk contract, that he really didn't run off our DCs every year, that he was doing things to fix recruiting with the new hires.

That benefit of the doubt is gone. Anything less than 6 wins, and he needs to be gone. There should be no do over in this league with all the shit he has pulled. Win, or GTFO.

mic
09-04-2016, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=GTHOM;602771]This guy gets it[/QUO

Y'all have to understand , this is the same AD that has let him shop jobs year after year after year.
The same AD that wasn't going to fire Rick Ray after his 3rd year.
Does anyone really think SS has he hand on the pulse of our athletics?? Come on ..
The guy ( CDM) doesn't want to be here.. I just thought CDM would finally realize he isn't near as wanted elsewhere as he thinks he is.. I was very wrong.
CDM and Meghan both think they are way bigger than this place.

mic
09-04-2016, 10:10 AM
I think yesterday may have done it in for me on the Mullen era. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year - OL was weak from us being passing first, that he really didn't flirt with every team that called to talk contract, that he really didn't run off our DCs every year, that he was doing things to fix recruiting with the new hires.

That benefit of the doubt is gone. Anything less than 6 wins, and he needs to be gone. There should be no do over in this league with all the shit he has pulled. Win, or GTFO.

Agree... 6 is the floor and it should be.. And **** Mullen should know this and work his ass off to keep this from happening..
#1 In The country was a LONG time ago...

fader2103
09-04-2016, 11:26 AM
I don't trust Strickland to pull the trigger on Mullen, even with a 2-10.

Dawgface
09-04-2016, 11:29 AM
I don't either, but the money boys might override him.

Statecoachingblows**
09-04-2016, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=HancockCountyDog;602638]This is why I'm so pissed, this isn't a solid MAC team, this isn't a good Sun Belt team, this is a team that most likely won't be going to a bowl and probably won't have a winning record in the Sun Belt.[/QUOTE

I thought you were talking about us haha