PDA

View Full Version : It is what it is, what can be done NOW to save this season?

lastmajordog
09-03-2016, 09:20 PM
For all you coaches and in the know guys, with what they have, what can be done with what players to salvage this season. I know Mullen won’t do it, but what some opinions.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Win 6... Good news is we're adding 3 impact players (Simmons, James, and dear) next week. South Carolina, Umass, Kentucky, byu, samford, and Arkansas are possible wins, but we have to get better. Get it done, Dan

Commercecomet24
09-03-2016, 09:25 PM
We will find out next Saturday if the team is still gonna fight for Mullen. If we come out and play inspired we still got a chance to have some success this year. If we play uninspired like we did today it's pretty much all over but the crying. I'm willing to give it another week and see how we respond. I've always been a big Mullen supporter but today was totally unacceptable, totally! We gonna find out if there's any fire left after that craptastic performance today.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2016, 09:28 PM
1. Players win games. Got to have a come-to-Jesus meeting. We got up by 17 and then were surprised when they didnt quit.
2. A QB must emerge and get the reps, pick a guy and polish him.
3. Stop being "cute", Dan gonna Dan.
4. Identity. Are we a sh*tty running team that tries to throw, or a sh*tty throwing team that cant run?

confucius say
09-03-2016, 09:29 PM
I actually liked the idea of coming out with fitz and two backs in the backfield. I'm sure that's what we've worked on all camp (the relf offense) and then we just totally abandoned it and tried to throw the ball around with Damian, but without any attempt to stretch the field.

So, get back to relf offense with fitz, Williams, Gibson, and Holloway.

Take at least one deep shot a quarter to stretch the field some.

Jet sweep looked good today with Ross and Mixon, then never ran it again after halftime.

Simmons can help you if we will play himc

Play Leo Lewis every snap.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 09:32 PM
I actually liked the idea of coming out with fitz and two backs in the backfield. I'm sure that's what we've worked on all camp (the relf offense) and then we just totally abandoned it and tried to throw the ball around with Damian, but without any attempt to stretch the field.

So, get back to relf offense with fitz, Williams, Gibson, and Holloway.

Take at least one deep shot a quarter to stretch the field some.

Jet sweep looked good today with Ross and Mixon, then never ran it again after halftime.

Simmons can help you if we will play himc

Play Leo Lewis every snap.

Fitz's strengths are running and the deep ball. Use his strengths

Commercecomet24
09-03-2016, 09:32 PM
Yeah we gotta quit being cute and RTDF again.

Liverpooldawg
09-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Come on man...........Mullen's JOB depends on it.

As to what can be done for THIS year: I'm not sure much can. One thing that will HAVE to be done ( and might could be) and the coaches have ZERO impact on...... is leadership from within the team. I've seen it before up close. When I have seen it go away it has usually been because a dominate class for a year or two or three has graduated. It can be ONE guy. Mullen himself has said THE leader of the team the last two years has been DAK. Whether it's one man or a dominate class the effect is the same. I was watching body language today as much as anything. It showed all the signs of guys that have been used to being led looking for that leader/s to step up. Nobody did. We have other problems for sure, but I think internal leadership is a prerequisite to fixing any of it.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 09:37 PM
We need to play Aeris more at running back.

Move Gray to the slot. His two catches were underneath crossing patterns. Him on a bigger corner does neither him nor us any favors.

HoopsDawg
09-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Not much can be done. We have huge roster issues. There's nothing that can be done at corner. We can't sign any free agent O-linemen. We can't find another X receiver.

We had a pretty good 2015 recruiting class. I would turn it over to those guys. Nick Tiano would be my guy and let him play through the mistakes. I would use Dear, Mixon, Gibson, Justin Johnson, Daryl Williams, Storey all the young guys on offense. Defense, I would move Peters back to safety and go with him and Bryant. The front 7 is still pretty good. I guess I would throw Smitherman out there for Rayford. Maybe play Dantzler when he's eligible even though he's not quite ready.

It's ugly boys. It's going to be pretty bad here for a couple of years. Next year the schedule is brutal and we just haven't signed the O-linemen or playmakers.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 09:40 PM
We need to play Aeris more at running back.

And get shump on the field even if he isn't a primary ball carrier. I like the 2-back sets alternating aeris and Holloway with shump as the other

confucius say
09-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Fitz's strengths are running and the deep ball. Use his strengths

Exactly.

confucius say
09-03-2016, 09:44 PM
And get shump on the field even if he isn't a primary ball carrier. I like the 2-back sets alternating aeris and Holloway with shump as the other

Did Gibson play today? No he didn't touch the ball

And what did Aries stat line end up like?

Johnson85
09-03-2016, 09:55 PM
And get shump on the field only if he isn't a primary ball carrier. I like the 2-back sets alternating aeris and Holloway with shump as the other

Ftfy

msstate7
09-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Did Gibson play today? No he didn't touch the ball

And what did Aries stat line end up like?

Williams... 2 carries 12 yards

msstate7
09-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Ftfy

Haha... In his defense, he looked alright in his 3 runs today... 14 yards

cheewgumm
09-03-2016, 09:59 PM
1) Go to Relf offense, with Fitz at QB.
Fitz is tailor made for it. He's 6'5. 235 and can run. Mullen has forgotten about that offense for some reason. It was his best coaching job, IMO and he needs to remember it quickly. When we came out passing today it was disappointing to me because all I heard was speculation that we were going Relf 2.0, but looks like we're going Dak 2.0. Mistake in my opinion.

It's also the best offense to beat TSUN.

It would also allow out d rest. Our team needs to burn clock, not hurry up.

2). Get Peters in the game somewhere . Why is he not playing?!?!

Put talent in the field.

confucius say
09-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Williams... 2 carries 12 yards

Why no more talk about this?! That is infuriating.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 10:01 PM
1) Go to Relf offense, with Fitz at QB.
Fitz is tailor made for it. He's 6'5. 235 and can run. Mullen has forgotten about that offense for some reason. It was his best coaching job, IMO and he needs to remember it quickly. When we came out passing today it was disappointing to me because all I heard was speculation that we were going Relf 2.0, but looks like we're going Dak 2.0. Mistake in my opinion.

It's also the best offense to beat TSUN.

It would also allow out d rest. Our team needs to burn clock, not hurry up.

2). Get Peters in the game somewhere . Why is he not playing?!?!

Put talent in the field.

The time of possession is true. We aren't a good offensive team. If we have a chance this year, we'll have to ride our front 7 on defense. Quick offensive possessions don't help our defense at all

msstate7
09-03-2016, 10:03 PM

Very... I like Holloway, but he needs 10 touches (rushes and receptions) and that's it. He'll be more effective if defenses are wore down tackling qb runs and our bigger backs. Holloway had 16 touches today

HSVDawg
09-03-2016, 10:24 PM
For all you coaches and in the know guys, with what they have, what can be done with what players to salvage this season. I know Mullen won’t do it, but what some opinions.

There's honestly not much we can do. We have a solid front 7 on defense and that's about it. We are woefully deficient in both talent and depth everywhere else on the field, and we have a coaching staff that has no clue how to establish an identity for our offense. And we have a coaching staff that has no intensity or innovation. No coaching plus no talent is a bad combination.

Coursesuper
09-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Yeah we gotta quit being cute and RTDF again.

You can't do that if there is nowhere to go.

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2016, 10:45 PM

This^. We don't run the ball because we ****ing can't. Our line couldn't make a hole against A sun belt's SECOND string d-line

msstate7
09-03-2016, 10:46 PM

Passing -- 20/31 143 yds 4.6/attempt
Rushing -- 34 att 239 yds 7.0/attempt

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2016, 10:48 PM

Facts are stubborn things. That said, a lot of that was D-Will's big runs. Subtract those out and it doesn't look nearly that good. But then you have to ask why Aeris only got 2 carries all day and D-Lee, Gibson, & Murphy didn't even sniff the field.

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Does anybody know how much Peters played?

HoopsDawg
09-03-2016, 10:49 PM

That yards per completion is as bad as you will see for 20+ completions.

HoopsDawg
09-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Does anybody know how much Peters played?

Not much. Special teams mainly. Honestly, he needs to be backing up JT Gray at Star.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Facts are stubborn things. That said, a lot of that was D-Will's big runs. Subtract those out and it doesn't look nearly that good. But then you have to ask why Aeris only got 2 carries all day and D-Lee, Gibson, & Murphy didn't even sniff the field.

Need to roll with fitz and a 2-back set (shump as lead back and alternate ball carriers in other spot). Let fitz run, RBs run, and then hit teams over the top (fitz's strength is the long ball)

Coursesuper
09-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Those stats mean exactly DICK. When we needed it we couldn't even open up a crease. There were a couple of long runs in those stats that sku that data and at times a four man rush was pushing up in the QB. The Oline sux again.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Yeah, it's horrible. Why we didn't take a shot deep is beyond me.

HoopsDawg
09-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Need to roll with fitz and a 2-back set (shump as lead back and alternate ball carriers in other spot). Let fitz run, RBs run, and then hit teams over the top (fitz's strength is the long ball)

Agree with this.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Yeah, it's horrible. Why we didn't take a shot deep is beyond me.

Because Damian sucks at throwing deep and Mullen wouldn't put in Fitz because and I quote Mullen "the offense was rolling". I guess my definition of rolling is different since we only scored 3 points in the 2nd half when their lack of depth should have made it easier to run.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Because Damian sucks at throwing deep and Mullen wouldn't put in Fitz because and I quote Mullen "the offense was rolling". I guess my definition of rolling is different since we only scored 3 points in the 2nd half when their lack of depth should have made it easier to run.

I thought for sure we'd give fitz the first series in the 3rd. Really not sure why Dan didn't

Goldendawg
09-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Guys, I was at the game and will be there for USC and every home game, but I didn't see any domination by our front 7 on D except for AJ. Maybe having Nick James back will help. I also saw 2 former walkons getting plenty of snaps at LB, even when we are supposed to be loaded there. I had hopes for an improved OL, but it was mainly the same guys as last year with even worse results. We cannot run the ball, but I still saw Holloway up the gut too much again with no snaps for Gibson, Lee, and what two for Williams? And we wonder why a Cam Akers from Clinton won't even consider us?

Bdawg
09-03-2016, 11:20 PM

Agree. So freaking stupid we didn't pound the rock against there banged up Dline.

Bdawg
09-03-2016, 11:24 PM

Absolutely rediculous we didn't pound the hell out of them with any of those guys

Bdawg
09-03-2016, 11:27 PM

Goes to show you williams is no deep threat(15+ Yards)

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I disagree about the line to a small degree. Why can Damian Williams and Aeris and heck even Shumpert had a respectable YPC run up the middle respectably but Holloway struggles? Because he's about 160 pounds. Of course he's going to go down pretty quickly running into a pile of college football players.

For Dan's offense to work he HAS to have a back that can run between the tackles and is built to do so. That's not Holloway who is a good player. It just doesn't fit his skill set. The sad thing is we have at least three guys who are built to do that. We just refuse to play them because they aren't perfect in practice.