PDA

View Full Version : We've had trouble with "small" teams before

RocketDawg
09-03-2016, 08:52 PM
But I think this is the first time we've lost one of those games under Dan. La Tech took us to overtime, pretty sure we had trouble with USA last time we played them, we've had trouble with Troy, UAB, Middle Tennessee as I recall, Bowling Green.

That must mean that Dan doesn't get up for those games, nor does the team.

Scheduling tough teams may be the best for us ... if we win, we gain a lot, but if we lose it's not all that bad. But losing to a "small" team is suicidal. And we've been on the cusp of losing those before.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 08:55 PM
They are rating this as the biggest upset in the last 5 years in college football.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 08:58 PM
We lost to Oklahoma State in 2013 and almost missed a bowl that year. The last time we played USA we beat them 35-3 on the road.

Scott can put whoever our coach is in position to succeed but it's up to the coach to get the team to perform.

I think the biggest issue with us vs some of the bigger name SEC teams is depth and playing smaller teams gives us a chance to build that whereas playing USC wouldn't give us that chance.

If we can't beat USA we're going to be bad anyway no matter who we play.

MetEdDawg
09-03-2016, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty sure our defensive staff has never heard of a nickel or dime package. There is a big difference between putting a hybrid LB like JT Gray on a guy and a backup CB. And this has been pretty consistent under Mullen's tenure.

These small teams give us fits because we run a 4-3 or 3-4 the entire game on defense and they eventually figure out they can torch us. Why every team we play doesn't throw 50 passes a game on us is beyond me.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure our defensive staff has never heard of a nickel or dime package. There is a big difference between putting a hybrid LB like JT Gray on a guy and a backup CB. And this has been pretty consistent under Mullen's tenure.

These small teams give us fits because we run a 4-3 or 3-4 the entire game on defense and they eventually figure out they can torch us. Why every team we play doesn't throw 50 passes a game on us is beyond me.

4-3, 3-4, 46, etc it doesn't matter what the DC calls it- it always ends up bend but don't break with Dan.

LC Dawg
09-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Why every team we play doesn't throw 50 passes a game on us is beyond me.

If the rest of this year's opponents don't do this their coaches should be fired.