PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Chapter of the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

SapperDawg
09-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Fellow Outdoor Dawgs -

I have posted about the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers before, and the fact that I have been leading a group of folks that have been working to get a chapter in AL. We have now been approved to form a Southeastern Chapter, covering the states of AR, LA, MS, AL, TN, GA, and FL. We currently have about 90 members in those states, and the goal would be to spin state chapters off as membership grows.

If any of you are interested in joining the effort, I know MS does not have a group that has stepped up to assist with the effort yet.

So, I encourage each of you to join?.and if you are so interested volunteer to help out with the organization effort. The membership fee is work the OnX Hunt mapping program you get free for joining.

www.backcountryhunters.org

Check out our AL Chapter FB Page (soon to be the Southeast Chapter Page):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1339106686118004/

SapperDawg
12-13-2016, 11:59 AM
I wanted to bump this up. We are going to gain official recognition very soon, and there is some great content being posted on our FB page.

Join us.

BeastMan
12-13-2016, 01:12 PM
I'll check that out. Thanks for sharing

BrunswickDawg
12-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Sapper - saw you tweet the BHA stance on the new SOI nominee. Seems like a definite improvement over some of the earlier rumored picks.

I know that many outdoor organizations are big on maintaining public lands. How does BHA approach resource extraction on public lands?

SapperDawg
12-14-2016, 04:56 PM
We are for responsible extraction of timber, grazing and energy resources, and think there is a much larger conversation about best management and revenue gains to the USG from these resources (grazing and timber in particular). With that said these activities have to be well regulated and privatization is not the answer. I will also say there are special places that need to remain wild and untouched by development.

BrunswickDawg
12-14-2016, 08:23 PM
We are for responsible extraction of timber, grazing and energy resources, and think there is a much larger conversation about best management and revenue gains to the USG from these resources (grazing and timber in particular). With that said these activities have to be well regulated and privatization is not the answer. I will also say there are special places that need to remain wild and untouched by development.

Solid, sensible approach. Having worked in a state land management agency, I have seen first hand that trying to balance development and natural resource management is an extremely difficult thing to do. NPS, BLM, USFW, etc tend to be overly protective and bureaucratic, but, I think they have a legit reason to be due to the track record of some of our industries.