PDA

View Full Version : Too early to throw out names?

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Would you go lower level successful head coach or high level coordinator?

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Yeh I bet he's glad he came to MSU right now. I think we have talent everywhere but O-line and secondary

defiantdog
Id take Lane Kiffin right now..... We need energy. Mullen smiled when we missed that last field goal..... I'll never forget that crap.

GreenheadDawg
Wrong thread. I'm all ****ed up right nkw

Dawgface
09-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Go after the Appalachian State HC.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm still on the Hud train.

I think in modern college football, it's about recruiting & commitment.

Hud is a good enough coach, he wouldn't be looking for a job every year, & he'll exhaust all resources to recruit.

I realize there are more sexy options & better Xs & Os guys but Hud just seems like the right fit

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Id take Lane Kiffin right now..... We need energy. Mullen smiled when we missed that last field goal..... I'll never forget that crap.

I don't think Kiffin is a good fit. I don't really see energy as his thing & he'd be looking for the first train out of Starkville

TrapGame
09-03-2016, 03:31 PM
USA's HC wouldn't be bad. He was coaching his ass off. Dan goes against the Big Boys and he tucks his dick twixt his knees but not USA's coach.

GreenheadDawg
09-03-2016, 03:32 PM
We need a guy that gives a shit about MSU success.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-03-2016, 03:33 PM
You're so spoiled wanting a new coach! We all should be smiling as we fade back into obscurity because we're as good as we've ever been**

defiantdog
09-03-2016, 03:33 PM
I don't think Kiffin is a good fit. I don't really see energy as his thing & he'd be looking for the first train out of Starkville
I know..... Just saying id take anyone after watching Mullen smile after that miss kick

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2016, 03:36 PM
You're so spoiled wanting a new coach! We all should be smiling as we fade back into obscurity because we're as good as we've ever been**

We laugh but this is exactly what our administration sells us.

I for one believe Mullen at his core is a really good football coach, but in the past two years he's gotten absurdly complacent &, since Redmond, so set on not breaking any NCAA rules, that we simply are regressing

GTHOM
09-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Chad Morris, Mark Hudspeth, Tom Herman (not likely) Chip Kelly after he gets fired in San Fran, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Saban

Throw out any name you want. It what it is. It is a small time university in a small town in the poorest state in the nation trying to compete in the nation's most competitive college football conference.

Nobody can get the players to Starkville to compete consistently.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2016, 03:37 PM
If you are an up-and-coming, hot-commodity, potential HC, do you come to a school in the toughest division in football, with the lowest commitment to winning?

defiantdog
09-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Chad Morris, Mark Hudspeth, Tom Herman (not likely) and Chip Kelly after he gets fired in san fran

Tom Herman just beat the #3 team in the nation. He's not going anywhere for under $8 mil a year

Statecoachingblows**
09-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Tom Herman sat out the carousel last year for a reason. He's gonna get paid while we can't give our HC away

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 03:44 PM
We have equal chance to get Saban and Tom Herman. 0%. 4 million will get us a good coach.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-03-2016, 03:45 PM
We laugh but this is exactly what our administration sells us.

I for one believe Mullen at his core is a really good football coach, but in the past two years he's gotten absurdly complacent &, since Redmond, so set on not breaking any NCAA rules, that we simply are regressing
Hell there's a significant number of people on here that have essentially said this in the past hour.

I think that Mullen is a good coach too, but I think his complacency stems from him not feeling any pressure to do better than winning the games he's supposed to win. Before today, he's done that, so not enough of the fanbase has been on his back to improve. It'll be interesting to see how he and our fans react from here on out now that he's lost what was basically his silver bullet.

ScottH
09-03-2016, 03:48 PM
If there is an opening near term, Geoff Collins will be Stricklin's first or second call.

Not saying it should be Collins just saying he'll be 1 or 2 on the "can get" list.

He and Stricklin hit it off, he didn't hate Starkville, he's a good recruiter and knows what it takes to get kids here.

Dawgfan77
09-03-2016, 03:51 PM
We need HUD, Mazzonne, . We could hire anyone in the lower level and payv$$

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2016, 03:54 PM
If there is an opening near term, Geoff Collins will be Stricklin's first or second call.

Not saying it should be Collins just saying he'll be 1 or 2 on the "can get" list.

He and Stricklin hit it off, he didn't hate Starkville, he's a good recruiter and knows what it takes to get kids here.

I'm hoping Stricklin isn't the one making the decision if your intel is accurate. That would be an incredibly underwhelming and unimaginative hire. So would Hud, so far as I'm concerned, although he at least has FBS HC success at a lower tier school. Chad Morris, Gary Patterson & Chip Kelly would be my top choices.

Anyone suggesting Art Briles should be disassociated from the fan base. It would be like hiring Paterno.

Coursesuper
09-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Stricklin no longer makes those calls. He didn't make the call to not give the extension and raise this year. Those calls are made by others.

GTHOM
09-03-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm hoping Stricklin isn't the one making the decision if your intel is accurate. That would be an incredibly underwhelming and unimaginative hire. So would Hud, so far as I'm concerned, although he at least has FBS HC success at a lower tier school. Chad Morris, Gary Patterson & Chip Kelly would be my top choices.

Anyone suggesting Art Briles should be disassociated from the fan base. It would be like hiring Paterno.

I'd make a handsome bet that Briles gets hired again

Statecoachingblows**
09-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Oh my god I'll sell all my state apparel, decor, and signage if that happens. If that's all we can do I cannot continue to support this team. Doesn't really matter because Dan will be here until the wac lures him away.

lastmajordog
09-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Brad Peterson worked miracles in HS.....I saw it first hand.....smart and the kind of guy you want your son playing for......I kid you not.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Brad Peterson worked miracles in HS.....I saw it first hand.....smart and the kind of guy you want your son playing for......I kid you not.

Too bad the issues with his ex wife and Clintons coach or we would get Akers....according to a few dumb ass posters on SPS.

Dawgfan77
09-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Too bad the issues with his ex wife and Clintons coach or we would get Akers....according to a few dumb ass posters on SPS.
Unfortunately it's true..

lastmajordog
09-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Well it’s like the president....i don’t give a tinkers D### if he has a harem.....if he can run the country conservatively. Peterson would be AWESOME.....I’m telling you....

BeardoMSU
09-03-2016, 04:22 PM

This^^^

Aside from thinking we'd even be #10 on Chip's mind, I agree with your assessment.

I seen it dawg
09-03-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm still on the Hud train.

I think in modern college football, it's about recruiting & commitment.

Hud is a good enough coach, he wouldn't be looking for a job every year, & he'll exhaust all resources to recruit.

I realize there are more sexy options & better Xs & Os guys but Hud just seems like the right fit

We need someone to come in with zero ties. Clean house completely. Hud is freezus without the Jesus.

I seen it dawg
09-03-2016, 04:30 PM
PJ Fleck

Bothrops
09-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Our next guy needs to be more of a homebody that understands this damn place, and our recruiting needs to continue expanding outside the state.

defiantdog
09-03-2016, 04:36 PM
PJ Fleck

Would be nice ..... He's young too

I seen it dawg
09-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Our next guy needs to be more of a homebody that understands this damn place, and our recruiting needs to continue expanding outside the state.

That breeds being comfortable. Need someone to come in and blow the place up.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Major Applewhite? Was at Bama and now offensive coordinator at Houston?

fader2103
09-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Y'all think Spurrier wants to come to come out of retirement

BeardoMSU
09-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Y'all think Spurrier wants to come to come out of retirement

He was the definition of complacent his last 2 years at SC. He was even interviewed talking about how Saban needed to take it easy and play more golf, or some shit.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 05:24 PM
He was the definition of complacent his last 2 years at SC. He was even interviewed talking about how Saban needed to take it easy and play more golf, or some shit.

At least he got them to Atlanta before getting complacent. Mullen took us to the Belk Bowl and is smiling when we lose to directional Alabama tech.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Petrino.

We could get him, and I dont care if he 17s every Coed on Campus,

Im still not completely done with mullen but this put him in a bad way in my mind.

BeardoMSU
09-03-2016, 05:44 PM
At least he got them to Atlanta before getting complacent. Mullen took us to the Belk Bowl and is smiling when we lose to directional Alabama tech.

Look, I'm not defending Dan, but HBC isn't the answer.

BeardoMSU
09-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Petrino.

Im still not completely done with mullen but this put him in a bad way in my mind.

I hate Petrino as a person, but that ****er can win football games.

RocketDawg
09-03-2016, 05:47 PM
We could probably get what's-his-name after A&M fires him.

I guess I'll never understand the love for Hudspeth. Wasn't it his school where the previous Bear coach got show-caused for ACT fraud? Maybe it was one of the other directionals. He might be great but I haven't seen any indication of it.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Look, I'm not defending Dan, but HBC isn't the answer.

No chance I want Spurrier. He is retired for a reason.

Bothrops
09-03-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm not a Hudspeth fan necessarily, but he wins today if he's our coach.

Dawgfan77
09-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Why defend Dan? Honestly. We just last to USA .

preachermatt83
09-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Herman- Makes 3mil a year
Rich Rod- 2mil
Fedora- 2mil
Petrino- 3.mil

I think 3mil gets Fedora or Rich Rod and 4mil gets Petrino. Would take 5 to get Herman. This would be my list.

RocketDawg
09-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Rich Rod- 2mil
Fedora- 2mil
Petrino- 3.mil

I think 3mil gets Fedora or Rich Rod and 4mil gets Petrino. Would take 5 to get Herman. This would be my list.

But what is Dan's buyout?

Dawgfan77
09-03-2016, 05:57 PM
But what is Dan's buyout?
It went down without the extension.

civildawg
09-03-2016, 06:02 PM
There is zero percent chance on Herman. Dude can cherry pick a big time job

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Rich Rod- 2mil
Fedora- 2mil
Petrino- 3.mil

Good choices but Herman is waiting for a bigger job. No chance on him. I think Petrino has a big buyout since he went back to Louisville.

Dawg61
09-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Someone give me the Cliff Notes version on why we gotta be disaccotiated from MSU if we want Briles. I never read any of the Baylor shit but Briles was absolutely destroying teams for four straight seasons at BAYLOR. Baylor has a much worse football history than we do. Freezus was having sex with high school girls. Briles is worse than that? We are competing against a total shitbag. Maybe we need a better shitbag than they got.

RocketDawg
09-03-2016, 06:13 PM
There is zero percent chance on Herman. Dude can cherry pick a big time job

Houston's last miracle worker hasn't worked out so well at A&M so far ... Herman might not either.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Someone give me the Cliff Notes version on why we gotta be disaccotiated from MSU if we want Briles. I never read any of the Baylor shit but Briles was absolutely destroying teams for four straight seasons at BAYLOR. Baylor has a much worse football history than we do. Freezus was having sex with high school girls. Briles is worse than that? We are competing against a total shitbag. Maybe we need a better shitbag than they got.

He was directly involved with covering up a serial rapist because he was his starting DE. The guy had charges against him when he got him to go to Baylor but he covered up several rapes that then happened at Baylor. Even to the extent of getting a rape victim kicked off her scholarship.

fader2103
09-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I hope Fedora is in our top 3 on the list !

Dawg61
09-03-2016, 06:18 PM
He was directly involved with covering up a serial rapist because he was his starting DE. The guy had charges against him when he got him to go to Baylor but he covered up several rapes that then happened at Baylor. Even to the extent of getting a rape victim kicked off her scholarship.

Jesus! What would he do to keep Fletcher Cox and Preston Smith eligible.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Jesus! What would he do to keep Fletcher Cox and Preston Smith eligible.

The DE was projected 1st or 2nd round pick going into the season. I think he now has around 15 year sentence so he is going to be hell in the longest yard sequel.

Johnson85
09-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Saban

Throw out any name you want. It what it is. It is a small time university in a small town in the poorest state in the nation trying to compete in the nation's most competitive college football conference.

Yeah how the 17 could we expect to compete with a power house like south Alabama. 17ing moronic

Johnson85
09-03-2016, 06:25 PM
We could probably get what's-his-name after A&M fires him.

I guess I'll never understand the love for Hudspeth. Wasn't it his school where the previous Bear coach got show-caused for ACT fraud? Maybe it was one of the other directionals. He might be great but I haven't seen any indication of it.

Hudspeth is no better and probably no worse than Mullen. He would be energized if he came to state. It would be an ok hire but you're basically changing just because changing will shake people out of complacency.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 06:56 PM

Head coach unless the high level assistant has major college head coaching experience. With a lower level head coach you have more of an idea about how they recruit, make in game decisions, etc.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 06:59 PM

No to Briles. The NCAA will come after us harder than they did with Jackie just to get Briles out of football.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 07:04 PM
I would wait and see how Hud does this year. He's our safety net if a coaching search becomes a debacle. I'd definitely kick the tires on Herman. I like Lane Kiffen personally but I'm not sure he would be a fit for our fans and even a fit for him because of his personality. PJ Fleck from Western Michigan would be a good one to interview. Skip Holtz might not be bad. I was impressed with La Tech last year.

Boya
09-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Saban

Fun guy, very pragmatic......

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 07:05 PM

Does Chip Kelly still have a show cause?

Op4isabitch
09-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Petrino.

Well all but one, he touches mine and I'll make that bike crash look as insignificant as a broken finger nail.

Sacrifice
09-03-2016, 07:21 PM
I would love to have Fedora. He has his teams ready to play every week.

Dawgfan77
09-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Huddleston is no better and probably no worse than Mullen. He would be energized if he came to state. It would be an ok hire but you're basically changing just because changing will shake people out of complacency.
Who the f is Huddleston?? No we would change because our current hunchback cannot recruit ol or DBs and we just got beat by USA. So yeah we need a change.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 07:43 PM
I would love to have Fedora. He has his teams ready to play every week.

The thing that worries me about Fedora is he didn't recruit well at USM and left them in shambles.

Johnson85
09-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Who the f is Huddleston?? No we would change because our current hunchback cannot recruit ol or DBs and we just got beat by USA. So yeah we need a change.

How many times has Hudspeth won the sunbelt? I'm sorry, he's a good coach, but he's not better than Mullen and that would not be a good hire to replace Mullen. He might be better just because Mullen has gotten complacent, but you don't push Mullen out with a plan to get Hudspeth.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 07:46 PM
How many times has Hudspeth won the sunbelt? I'm sorry, he's a good coach, but he's not better than Mullen and that would not be a good hire to replace Mullen. He might be better just because Mullen has gotten complacent, but you don't push Mullen out with a plan to get Hudspeth.
I have no knowledge of who would be on the list but I would think Hud would be a fallback if we had 3-5 no thanks responses.

Statecoachingblows**
09-03-2016, 07:54 PM
It doesn't matter if Vince Lombardi wants to coach at state, the fact of the matter is Dan Mullen will be the coach until he decides to leave. Sad but true

ScottH
09-03-2016, 07:56 PM
The thing that worries me about Fedora is he didn't recruit well at USM and left them in shambles.

I'd rather have Monken than Fedora on first thought.

He rebuilt from scorched earth.

Dawgfan77
09-03-2016, 08:01 PM

You want to keep a coach that lost to USA in year 8!!! Let that sink in. Bet you were all about croom after the loss to Maine. Give him time my ass. We can and will win, Mullen is 02 JWS

Commercecomet24
09-03-2016, 08:07 PM
Jeff Brohm, would be my first choice.

Homedawg
09-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Rich Rod- 2mil
Fedora- 2mil
Petrino- 3.mil

Get a new list. None of these guys would take our job. Sorry.

DCdawg
09-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Just throwing out names for discussion - what about Leslie Frazier? Born in Columbus and played at Alcorn. I don't know much about him and he might not have any interest in the college game since he has been an NFL head coach.

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2016, 08:25 PM
This^^^

Aside from thinking we'd even be #10 on Chip's mind, I agree with your assessment.

I've said before that Kelly is 99.9% likely to be a pipe dream. But you call the guy anyway, because you never know when the .1% could happen. The only unforgivable sin for me would be not calling the guy to make sure he isn't interested. Then you quickly move on to the other candidates on the list.

Johnson85
09-03-2016, 08:29 PM
You want to keep a coach that lost to USA in year 8!!! Let that sink in. Bet you were all about croom after the loss to Maine. Give him time my ass. We can and will win, Mullen is 02 JWS

Glad to see people are keeping their cool. Mullen shits the bed and our fan's logic is you either want to fire Mullen to hire Hudspeth, or you want to keep Mullen. No other possible options in the universe.

Quaoarsking
09-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Willie Fritz, formerly of Georgia Southern and now at Tulane

Philip Montgomery of Tulsa, former Baylor OC, assuming none of the scandal comes back to him

Both of these are great coaches who would take the job

RocketDawg
09-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Everybody wants Hudspeth? ULL lost to Boise State 45-10 today. I see nothing desirable about that.

RocketDawg
09-03-2016, 08:35 PM
I've said before that Kelly is 99.9% likely to be a pipe dream. But you call the guy anyway, because you never know when the .1% could happen. The only unforgivable sin for me would be not calling the guy to make sure he isn't interested. Then you quickly move on to the other candidates on the list.

Aren't Dan and Chip Kelley supposed to be good friends? Think he'd take the job if Dan were fired? Even if he wanted it?

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Willie Fritz, formerly of Georgia Southern and now at Tulane

Philip Montgomery of Tulsa, former Baylor OC, assuming none of the scandal comes back to him

Both of these are great coaches who would take the job

I had forgotten about Montgomery. I threw his name out when Dan was whoring himself during the last coaching carousel. He'd definitely be on my short list with Patterson, Kelly, and Morris.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 08:38 PM

I guarantee you Hud would recruit better, not float his name around every offseason, and manage our personnel better. Oh and look like he gives a shit.

War Machine Dawg
09-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Everybody wants Hudspeth? ULL lost to Boise State 45-10 today. I see nothing desirable about that.

Hudspeth is the classic MSU Good Ol' Boy hire. I want no part of him, personally. I'd say a whole lot of people are in my camp. But we also know how good ol' Em Ess Yoo works and think there's a better than average chance he's the fallback option. Hell, I'd rather poach Monken first.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 08:39 PM
I had forgotten about Montgomery. I threw his name out when Dan was whoring himself during the last coaching carousel. He'd definitely be on my short list with Patterson, Kelly, and Morris.

Has Patterson turned down other jobs to stay at TCU?

TNDawg35
09-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Has Patterson turned down other jobs to stay at TCU?

Didnt Arkansas go after him when Petrino had the wreck... I maybe wrong, but i thought he was...

Bass Chaser
09-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Jeff Brohm Western Kentucky is one I would consider.

Quaoarsking
09-03-2016, 09:14 PM

A few more facts about Montgomery:

He's a Freeze-style super Christian, except that he actually appears to walk the walk instead of just talking the talk. (I reserve the right to retract that if it turns out he was involved in Baylor covering up rapes, but a quick Google search suggests he wasn't.)
He's been able to put up ridiculous offensive numbers (we're talking like 600 yards/game or more) with completely different styles of QB. Kevin Kolb, RG3, and Bryce Petty are all completely different styles, but he managed to make it work no matter who he had.
Tulsa went to a bowl last year (his first season as HC) after going 2-10 in 2014.

Jarius
09-03-2016, 09:16 PM
The current head coach at USM, Jay Hopson, would be my top realistic pick (this is way too early btw). I think he is an excellent coach that is just a year or 2 away from getting a big time gig.

M.Fillmore
09-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Hugh Freeze*

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but Bill Clark at UAB wouldn't be a bad candidate.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Jeff Brohm Western Kentucky is one I would consider.

Yep if you've ever watched them play he would be my first call. They put up ridiculous numbers.

Ranchdawg
09-03-2016, 09:32 PM
We need a guy that gives a shit about MSU success.

^^^^^^^^
This all day!

IMissJack
09-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Chad Morris, Mark Hudspeth, Tom Herman (not likely) Chip Kelly after he gets fired in San Fran, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles

Herman will likely be at Texas or aTm, whichever changes coaches first.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2016, 09:35 PM
^^^^^^^^
This all day!

Coach34